Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
If the person wants to have any chance of convincing anyone of their points outside of their echo chamber, of course.

Luxury Communism posted:

Domestic violence against men is absolutely trivial.

Even if true that's a disgusting attitude to take, because there are real victims who happen to be men and deserve just as much support as any other human. The recent turn towards us v them across the political spectrum, where certain groups are "good" and some are "bad", is both counterproductive and stupid.

MaxxBot posted:

I don't think the "kill all men" stuff is actively harmful, it's more pointless echo chamber circlejerking which is iconic of tumblr/twitter style activism. Just like as a member of the LGBT community I don't care if you want to say "kill all breeders" or "die cis scum" but I think it's dumb and pointless.

People are not statistics, they are people. If people joke about men being raped do you think a male victim is going to go "well looking at the stats this is a trivial issue for men so I won't be hurt by this"? No, of course not- if we say joking about rape hurts women there's no reason at all to suspect it wouldn't do the same for a man.

Stuff like "die cis scum" is so ridiculous that no one would take it seriously; I agree with you there. Trivializing male victims of domestic abuse would absolutely be problematic, however.

Garrand posted:

I'm a little confused. The bathing in male tears has nothing to do with violence or legitimate issues and is entirely just making fun of men who whine about women in the workplace and women in video games. The ironic kill all men, again, has nothing to do with actually killing all men and is more making fun of the huge amount of rhetoric anti-feminists have about how all feminists just want to: Kill all men (or make them into slaves etc.) It's not like ironic domestic violence jokes that are all just about shock value, it's a subversion of the rhetoric (and at least some catharsis) used against feminists themselves.

We're still on page 1 and there's already several people who is saying that even legitimate issues are trivial and thus not worth caring about.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

no, because feminists do not blanket mock men for showing emotion (it is in fact men who enforce toxic masculinity on other men), men often do not need shelters to leave toxic relationships, and the severity of domestic violence inflicted on men is not as bad as that inflicted on women.

On average you are of course correct but you are making the common mistake of applying population statistics to individuals. This is a completely wrong thing to do, both statistically and I'd argue morally, since averages don't tell you anything about specific cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread