Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Nah, thanks to metal bending, the internet is a breeze.

Everything I know about K-Mart comes from this person's obsession: http://superkmart.blogspot.com/

It's almost cute, the way he turned what most people would do with trains into a blog about a failing retail store.

I miss K-Mart sometimes they had little caesars inside of them you could get pizza at while your family shopped in misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Mange Mite posted:

i believe it

does this mean if I use the free in-store wifi I should look up a lot of weird poo poo so they either gently caress off or give me good coupons for weird poo poo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cowman posted:

Sears is run by the worst CEO and everything is an incompetent clusterfuck and no one is happy there. The customers are also all old and dying off and Sears has nothing to appeal to younger people because they only sell old people clothes. It's terrible and I'm glad it's burning down.

Sears is the only urban place I've ever been where I've like I'm the last person on Earth.

I was in one a few years ago and after getting to the Men's Wear section I was alone for like 15 minutes, then I passed some people on my way upstairs to see what was there and it was a whole floor of no one but me. I looked at some beds and sat on a few to test them, all alone without even any sales people around, then I looked at the Home Goods and thought about buying a wind up radio (this one!) but it was too much so I didn't.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

here's walmart's unironic, 100% guaranteed 20 year plan

1: get you normalized to self-checkout (this is done)
2: get you normalized to seeing the shelves 80% stocked (done) and pallets of merchandise on the floor (in progress)
3: Fire 80% of the checkers, hire the other 20% on loss prevention.

MEANWHILE back at the home office:

a. There is an enormous datacenter in Jane, MO, buried under hundreds of feet of limestone. It is so secret that the county inspector had to sign an NDA before entering. It is strongly suspected that this is where the image recognition from the camera system is processed. (Fact: the DVR/video system is treated with higher IT security than the store registers) This is all being cross-referenced with information snooped via the "Free Wifi" and app installs on phones.
a1. If you stare at a TV or blender for more than 8 seconds and walk away, the video system will look up your linked Walmart App on your phone and push you a one-time loss leader coupon. Remember, their goal isn't to make a profit today, it's to murder the competition. A special deal is not illegal and lets them snag loss-leader sales without losing money on the 'regular' sales.
b. BYOD will be pushed as a 'clever' answer to the increasing lines of the 3 self-checkout. You say "gently caress it" and start scanning items yourself.
c. Pallet-2-cart will be pushed as a 'clever' answer to the empty shelves. Just forklift that pallet of cat food out to the floor and box-cutter the shrink wrap off, and let them go at it like a bunch of loving animals.
d. BYOD will be mandated to further enable point a1. If you do not have a phone you can put the Walmart (tm) ShopApp(r) onto, a lovely chinese tablet will be loaned to you at the front door for a modest $199 deposit.

and that's how you fire all your employees and get a customer to never shop anywhere else while scanning their own groceries and bagging their own poo poo.

source: i worked on the wireless networks in walmart for 3 years. Hint: never never EVER EVERRRRRRRR use the "Free In-Store Wifi"

THis sounds great I can be able to steal all the poo poo I want while pretending to check out.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

cool and good posted:

Revenue is not profit

Yes, of course, but if you're #1 in revenue in the world and can't turn a tidy profit then you really shouldn't be in business...?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Professor Shark posted:

Sears is the only urban place I've ever been where I've like I'm the last person on Earth.

I was in one a few years ago and after getting to the Men's Wear section I was alone for like 15 minutes, then I passed some people on my way upstairs to see what was there and it was a whole floor of no one but me. I looked at some beds and sat on a few to test them, all alone without even any sales people around, then I looked at the Home Goods and thought about buying a wind up radio (this one!) but it was too much so I didn't.

I used to work for sears in the men's department. I had customers come up and ask me things and I generally helped.

I remember one really old lady I called miss and she was super flattered that I called her Miss. Then there were the old guys that told me they used to work for sears selling tractors and what not.

I miss those old people they were nice, friendly, and social. Probably all dead now. :rip: I left sears when it was starting to lose money back at the start of the depression. You could tell the company was struggling and desperate to figure out a way to stay afloat.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Wal-mart's strategy has always been to hyper-expand, run out the competition, then cut back on stores.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Microwaves Mom posted:

I used to work for sears in the men's department. I had customers come up and ask me things and I generally helped.

I remember one really old lady I called miss and she was super flattered that I called her Miss. Then there were the old guys that told me they used to work for sears selling tractors and what not.

I miss those old people they were nice, friendly, and social. Probably all dead now. :rip: I left sears when it was starting to lose money back at the start of the depression. You could tell the company was struggling and desperate to figure out a way to stay afloat.

It sounds like they turned on their employees, humans do strange things when they get desperate!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

Wal-mart's strategy has always been to hyper-expand, run out the competition, then cut back on stores.

perhaps put the waltons in a hyper-expanded pressure chamber?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Nonsense posted:

perhaps put the waltons in a hyper-expanded pressure chamber?

They're also helping America's waistlines hyper-expand so there's hyper-expansion all around.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Now where am I going to buy walls??

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
try walgreens

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Germstore posted:

WalMarts seem to be playing a game of chicken with how few employees they can get away with having. I fully expect to eventually walk into a WalMart being completely run by one extremely frazzled store manager.

Pretty much everywhere is doing this now, hth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Business Gorillas posted:

Pretty much everywhere is doing this now, hth

A company called Games Workshop (sells those warhammer toys) has been operating one man stores for a while, particularly in Europe. One dude is responsible for all areas of operation from inventory, to sales, to the running of games, to answering the phone, everything. If the dude is sick or something the store is just closed that day. If he goes to eat lunch, the store closes until he gets back. If some issue demands his attention for a while then nobody can get service or even buy product until it's resolved.

The future, folks.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Chomp8645 posted:

A company called Games Workshop (sells those warhammer toys) has been operating one man stores for a while, particularly in Europe. One dude is responsible for all areas of operation from inventory, to sales, to the running of games, to answering the phone, everything. If the dude is sick or something the store is just closed that day. If he goes to eat lunch, the store closes until he gets back. If some issue demands his attention for a while then nobody can get service or even buy product until it's resolved.

The future, folks.

Just like the past?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

The future, folks.

Or anyplace outside America really, where people take breaks to eat and close really early and sometimes don't open on holidays because who gives a gently caress

Retail in the us breaks people because they're working like slaves

No wonder you're all neurotic, working all day

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Chomp8645 posted:

The future, folks.

I've seen these stores in the US but its a nerd hobby store so they can get away with this. Because whats a nerd gonna do?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
My vacuum cleaner that I got as a gift is from Sears and that's the only place I can get the bags for it, so every few months I have to go in and buy some, and it's so depressing. Every time the cashier asks me to sign up for a card and I say I only ever buy vacuum cleaner bags they have this look of :smithicide:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
just tell em you already got one last time

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

The future, folks.

Cool fact:
If they don't have what you're looking for at the GW, the store has a computer where you can order it for yourself. The employee doesn't take your order, you log in and pay on the computer for something to be shipped to the store.

The kicker is that even though you go to the store and buy it there, the store doesn't get credit for your purchase, the website does.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

I've seen these stores in the US but its a nerd hobby store so they can get away with this. Because whats a nerd gonna do?

They just buy it on ebay for a half of the price and the company is currently on a death spiral

Freestyle
Sep 2, 2014

by R. Guyovich
There are 4 Targets within a ten minute drive around me. 2 of them are literally 3 minutes way from each other. If we expand that to 20 minutes, I think there are 7 of them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Prav posted:

i'd rather be buried in a loving cardboard box than in a supermarket casket. god drat
I'd go with a shroud if it was legal. Feudal style.

Chomp8645 posted:

The future, folks.
I was reading about Aldi, the budget grocery chain from Germany that is expanding in America. They are really into staffing as few people as possible, but it apparently works because:

(1) They don't stock shelves, but wheel everything in on pallets and leave them there.

(2) They don't collect carts in the parking lot. If you want a cart, you feed a quarter into a machine which dispenses a cart, which you return after you're done.

(3) Their stores carry only Aldi-brand items, reducing inventory.

(4) Cashiers start at $12+/hour.

I'm sure there's all sorts of living hell cost-cutting efficiency measures, but it's cheaper than Walmart and doing fairly well. One problem with Walmart is the stores are HUGE and stocked manually. Even though they pay people like dirt, all those employees plus all the other costs have to be insane.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I haven't been to an aldi in like 20 years, but you bag your own groceries there too! gently caress you baggers union!

Freestyle
Sep 2, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Microwaves Mom posted:

CVS seems to have the same policy. Not down to 1 guy yet, but they sure cut back to a point where I usually only see 2, max 3 employees in the store. Its not a nerd store, but they seem to be getting away with it, even though it can get loving annoying: Longer lines, and good luck if you are walking the aisles looking for something and want to ask someone who works there.

And all the Chase banks in the area now only have 2 windows open, they have installed some loving Daleks they expect you to use, but of course those things can't do what most people in line are there for, such as money transfers, so my average wait time when I go to the bank for non-atm stuff has gone from 5 minutes to about 20 minutes. gently caress the future.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I haven't been to an aldi in like 20 years, but you bag your own groceries there too! gently caress you baggers union!
Bag your own groceries, shopping-cart dispensing machines, obsessed with cost efficiency, and they close early.

Yup, it's German.

They're apparently all over other parts of the U.S. (not where I live) but I've never been in one.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Business Gorillas posted:

They just buy it on ebay for a half of the price and the company is currently on a death spiral

its pretty great. I used to go to a games workshop that had like 3 employees and they were great guys. But then GW started going crazy I lost interested and if i ever want anything i can always get it on clearance for half the price if not less. Not to mention you literally can play the game with anything.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah. How is GW doing, anyways?

Hopefully bad haha suck it nerds.

Ooh thread idea.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 16, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Omi-Polari posted:

Oh yeah. How is GW doing, anyways?

Hopefully bad haha suck it nerds.

Ooh thread idea.

In the grim future of GBS, there's only war hammer threads

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

It's basically the opposite conclusion from the troubles of Sears. For decades Sears sold quality but practical products for the middle class. Sears prospered on the strength of the middle class and then when the middle class began declining so did Sears.

On the other hand, Walmart sells garbage to idiots. They became the giant they are today on the strength of poor or foolish consumers buying low quality products and sold at the lowest possible price so all the profit is made from sheer volume. They also have terrible service because their employees and underpaid and under appreciated, with perpetual low morale. If they are in trouble it indicates that consumers have more money with which to buy things that aren't total garbage, or for products that are the same regardless of price (like brand name consumer electronics) they are willing to spend more money simply for better service. Both are good indications of strong consumer spending.

Retail is down across the board it isn't just Walmart, source: Bloomberg

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Microwaves Mom posted:

try walgreens

Speaking of indicators of retail health, something is wrong with your company when the hold music on the phone is literally nothing but the same 20-second loop of the same song over and over and over again, sometimes for an hour or longer. I don't know what that something is at Walgreen's, but whoever ordered it needs to be dragged into the street and shot.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

Bag your own groceries, shopping-cart dispensing machines, obsessed with cost efficiency, and they close early.

Yup, it's German.

They're apparently all over other parts of the U.S. (not where I live) but I've never been in one.

Bagging your own poo poo is basically the norm. Aldi still stocks shelves in Germany and there is no cart dispensing.carts in are usually chained to each other and you unlock them with a euro or 50 cents.Carts get stolen often. Its usually run by 3-4 middle aged turkish ladies as cashiers,one or two shelving stuff on every second day,and one manager

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Don Tacorleone posted:

In the grim future of GBS, there's only war hammer threads
I closed it because apparently the mods send them off into purgatory

A good call to be honest.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Banks are the worst when it comes to not having enough employees. Half the time they have one person working the main counter and one person doing drive-thru (or better yet one guy doing both). So what would normally take 2 minutes takes 30.

Kmart is hilarious, especially when one of them went out of business around here recently. They were doing the liquidation sale and I swear to god half of the crap they were trying to unload must have been in that store since it opened in the 1970s. Apparently they just never bothered removing unsold inventory? Like the majority of this stuff was from 1990-2005 or so. Nothing recent. From my memory almost all of these stores were like this. Kmart was probably the only major chain that never bothered doing an interior remake on any of its stores for something like 20-30 years. I remember going into a Kmart as a kid, and almost 30 years later going into a closing one and it looked exactly the same.

Is there a reason both Walmart and Target have like 50 checkout counters but even during holiday season they are still using maybe 15 max? That seems like an obvious way to cut costs right there.

naem
May 29, 2011

There was I think a Kmart I remember as a kid where hamsters and parakeets he gotten loose from a pet dept (did Kmart have pets?) anyways they had colonized and reproduced it was an ecosystem with animals burrowed into forgotten dry good ls that is my story

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

naem posted:

There was I think a Kmart I remember as a kid where hamsters and parakeets he gotten loose from a pet dept (did Kmart have pets?) anyways they had colonized and reproduced it was an ecosystem with animals burrowed into forgotten dry good ls that is my story
Then they became intelligent, started running the store, and no one noticed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

naem posted:

I have some extremely odd deja vu memory that they did but i'm honestly not sure since it sounds so crazy that they would in the 90s

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 16, 2016

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

ScrubLeague posted:

Service Merchandise was a great store because they sold really expensive jewelry and also hard-to-find Nintendo tapes.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

The one near me became a Target

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

(2) They don't collect carts in the parking lot. If you want a cart, you feed a quarter into a machine which dispenses a cart, which you return after you're done.

Haha I remember these from 20 years ago, people hated them even then because they needed to have change to go grocery shopping

Also the carts are like $100 each and are worth more in scrap than .25 cents, for the soon to be Vagrant Class

• Locked thread