Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
The end result was 100,286.2 years of Powerball Simulator using quick picks. After previous runs of 1,000 years and 2,000 years that had similar results.
First off, here's the deal when it comes that timeline -- Niagara Falls will have eroded itself into Lake Erie and will cease to exist. We will be in a period of glacier advance regardless of global warming. Constellations as we know them will no longer exist due to the movement of stars. We will likely have seen our first supervolanic eruption. If we are terraforming Mars, this is the time we could expect to have a breathable oxygen atmosphere.
If we started playing the Powerball 100K years ago, we would have just started wearing clothes. As in literally, the idea of wearing clothes would have just come into being. Nuff said.
Okay, now the hard numbers.
Based on 100,286.2 years of playing the Powerball, we have played 10,429,761 games at an average ticket price of $1.62.
We won the million twice. Twice in 100K+ years.
That's pretty cool, but when you spend $20,859,522 on tickets, that doesn't quite cover your overall costs. The final totals see us winning $3,943,621, for a loss of $16,915,901, making each dollar spent worth only 19 cents.
We won the basic $4 just under 300,000 times, which fits in with the every month plus change narrative in the past. In addition, we won the 10K a total of 24 times. 24 times in 100K years does not make a man rich.
So, yeah, that's it. After my brower crashing at 89K years and a computer update shutdown interrupting the previous attempt at 92K years, we now know that even in 100,000 years you will never win the Powerball.
That's pretty spectacular when you think about it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

so what you're saying is that there's a chance

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Yeah that's pretty spectacular. Voting thread 2

BadTitude
Feb 15, 2003

Not so curious after the war.

nice copy and paste

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

symbolic posted:

so what you're saying is that there's a chance

Yep, pretty much in line with the 1 in 5M odds presented. I actually had a million dollar win in 3.4 years on the simulator with the system set to stop at 1M and Powerball winning. So it can happen...

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
A Powerball is something I put in the dishwasher (no, not my wife hurrr). So in conclusion, idgi.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i mean duh on average you lose money playing the powerball for the simple reason that as a company they make more money than they give out

tldr don't play the lottery

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Leather Daddy posted:

nice copy and paste

Yeah, literally from my Facebook account. Like I'm writing that up again...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

tldr don't play the lottery
i bought a scratch-off ticket once and won $5

gently caress you

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

i'm sure my lucky numbers will work better though

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
every once in a while i go to bed with an itchy butthole and wake up in the morning with a really stinky finger

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
voted 3

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

jiharlequinade posted:

i'm sure my lucky numbers will work better though

The weird thing is 1,2,3,4,5 Powerball 6 won the million eight times in a 2,000 year play I did once. So there you go, that's the lucky combo.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
hey someone always ends up winning

may as well be me rather than some old retirees donating it all to the human fund

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

how many times did you win by not playing?

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

how many times did you win by not playing?

Based on what the numbers showed from this run, not once.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

acejackson42 posted:

The weird thing is 1,2,3,4,5 Powerball 6 won the million eight times in a 2,000 year play I did once. So there you go, that's the lucky combo.

have fun sharing that prize with the thousands of others playing those numbers

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
meh

this thread is about my new username now

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

PBS Newshour posted:

meh

you do realize this won't stop the "mr crapps" quip from dgsw, right

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

symbolic posted:

you do realize this won't stop the "mr crapps" quip from dgsw, right

yeah, i just like pbs newshour

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

PBS Newshour posted:

meh

anime avatars are not worth any semblance of recognition

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Business Gorillas posted:

anime avatars are not worth any semblance of recognition
it looks more like a Western/anime crossover

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Okay now OP calculate the odds of being born with the right natural aptitudes to right family in the right economic bracket in the right country to live the kind of life you could get with winning a couple hundred million from the powerball?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
LoGH would probably be impossible to do live action

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
What i'm saying is it's just chance all the way down with varying levels of denial that exist solely to keep us feeling like we have some semblance of control over the direction of our life

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

pwned n00b

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

Okay now OP calculate the odds of being born with the right natural aptitudes to right family in the right economic bracket in the right country to live the kind of life you could get with winning a couple hundred million from the powerball?

vote trump

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Cry Havoc posted:

have fun sharing that prize with the thousands of others playing those numbers

Exactly. The hilarity that would result from that combination would be off the charts.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

That's literally heat death of the universe / quantum tunnelling of iron stars-level odds. I don't think SA has the super-super script designation to portray those odds.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

YOU DICK.

Still, look at that return on the dollar. Christ almighty.

EDIT: and I also crashed out at 80K and 90K. So give me 270K and we'll be all set!

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 15, 2016

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
The were THREE winners just YESTERDAY idiot

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Baba Ganoush posted:

The were THREE winners just YESTERDAY idiot

Yeah, which a simulator like this goes to show the improbabilty of something like that happening. It should be impossible and beyond unlikely, but people win the lottery all the drat time. Like, lotteries rarely carry over to the extent this Powerball did because people break the 1-in-5M odds to take the prize.

'You'll never win the Powerball' claims are based purely on the odds. This simulator shows that. And yet here we are with three winners.

Idiot.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
1 in 293,000,000 million is pretty self explanatory

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

acejackson42 posted:

Yeah, which a simulator like this goes to show the improbabilty of something like that happening. It should be impossible and beyond unlikely, but people win the lottery all the drat time. Like, lotteries rarely carry over to the extent this Powerball did because people break the 1-in-5M odds to take the prize.

'You'll never win the Powerball' claims are based purely on the odds. This simulator shows that. And yet here we are with three winners.

Idiot.

It just goes to show you that luck is more powerful than math.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
I've been thinking about having a priest bless my tickets with holy water for a while also

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Baba Ganoush posted:

It just goes to show you that luck is more powerful than math.

Baba Ganoush posted:

I've been thinking about having a priest bless my tickets with holy water for a while also

Is it not hilarious how true this is and how every single shenanigan out there is meaningless in the face of random possibility? Like that 1M win I had within three years... makes no sense in light of the odds but it happened and here we are.
That's what I love about simulators like this... they're driven by pure random selection the same way most lotteries are and yet people still win all the time while these math projectors say 'nu uh, impossible'.
Chaos, man... pure chaos.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
I shall simply purchase two tickets

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

i'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a lottery ticket today

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

hehe sucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Someone's getting yeasty

• Locked thread