Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Hmm! I would consider fasting. Do you just need to make sure to drink water? When does the anger set in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Hmm! I would consider fasting. Do you just need to make sure to drink water? When does the anger set in?

You drink less. You get fretty and anxious days 2-4, then you hit this point where your body gives up on you and will settle for whatever you put in it, even if it's nothing.

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

You drink less. You get fretty and anxious days 2-4, then you hit this point where your body gives up on you and will settle for whatever you put in it, even if it's nothing.

Im feeling weird, I got a head injury and its kinda making my head and eyes hurt a lot, Im at 49 hours!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Irrational Bees posted:

Im feeling weird, I got a head injury and its kinda making my head and eyes hurt a lot, Im at 49 hours!

If you got a head injury you need to stop. If you get injured you have to stop, that's the rule, you can't heal it right otherwise.

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

If you got a head injury you need to stop. If you get injured you have to stop, that's the rule, you can't heal it right otherwise.

i dont want to be known as a quitter

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fasting is dangerous you have to do it with some pragmatism.

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

Fasting is dangerous you have to do it with some pragmatism.

I dont want to be fat

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
OP, if you faint and then die, some rear end in a top hat's gonna buy Pick an "I genuinely killed a man with fasting advice" custom redtext. So I think maybe you should stop. I like her Lion Picture.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Irrational Bees posted:

I dont want to be fat

just to let you know the whole body clinging onto fat or metabolizing your own muscles if you get unlucky or do this to long is a real thing

you'd be way better off just replacing half your carbs with protein and finding some form of a work out you enjoy

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Instead of wasting your free time doing a 'workout' just do a job that is physical labour and they will pay yiu to excersize

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
With your new labouring job yoi can buy cigarettes and keep your body even more trim and toned

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
Im too weak to work physical labour

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Irrational Bees posted:

Im too weak to work physical labour

Thats cause you dont do physical labour

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Gandhi was able to fast for weeks and smile about. Cause he had a big cause to do it for.

I'veseen parts of the movie.

Get a cause to sustain you.

Like you will fast until you are allowed to post homegrown

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Irrational Bees posted:

over 40 hours without food and Im starting to feel kinda bad, like, in my stomach and throat

Drink some fruit or vegetable juice

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

donkey salami posted:

Gandhi was able to fast for weeks and smile about. Cause he had a big cause to do it for.

Uhh, ok, thats what im doing now

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I wonder if any of those angry guys who hate muslims do ramadan just to prove to themselves that they are at least as badass as a muslim

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

donkey salami posted:

"We were then marched off to a prison intended for Kaffirs," Gandhi complained during one of his campaigns for the rights of Indians settled there. "We could understand not being classed with whites, but to be placed on the same level as the Natives seemed too much to put up with. Kaffirs are as a rule uncivilized -- the convicts even more so. They are troublesome, very dirty and live like animals."

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Wendigee posted:

"We were then marched off to a prison intended for Kaffirs," Gandhi complained during one of his campaigns for the rights of Indians settled there. "We could understand not being classed with whites, but to be placed on the same level as the Natives seemed too much to put up with. Kaffirs are as a rule uncivilized -- the convicts even more so. They are troublesome, very dirty and live like animals."

Im not so sure about this Gandhi chap anymore, lets do some massacres

-britain

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

extra stout posted:

since there is no 'real' recipe for lembas and all the ones on the internet are just lemon cookies shaped funny, my recipe for lembas is basically the truest one that exists, and i wont be giving it to anyone

Youre a nerd and I'm lembarassed for you.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i did a sonnes colon cleanse and detox all week and i lost like 800 pounds

Poverty Cognac
Aug 2, 2014

too fast slow down

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

dad gay. so what posted:

i did a sonnes colon cleanse and detox all week and i lost like 800 pounds

You forced the 800 pound gorilla out of the room with colon farts?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Just drink the same volume of water as the food you eat. That way, the food only has half the calories.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I killed my are self and saved so much on food and bills you wouldn't believe it!

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Regardless, fasting for a whole week wont yield any additional benefit beyond normal intermittent/alternate-day fasting. It'll probably be counterproductive because you wont be able to remain active past the first day or two.

On the contrary, extended fasting (From 4 days to upwards of a month) has been shown to have exemplary benefits. Read up on the work done by Mark Mattson and Valter Longo if you're interested.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24440038

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

KVeezy3 posted:

On the contrary, extended fasting (From 4 days to upwards of a month) has been shown to have exemplary benefits. Read up on the work done by Mark Mattson and Valter Longo if you're interested.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24440038

As far as health is concerned, you're definitely right. But it's not really possible--in my experience--to remain active and lift weights when fasting for longer than 48 hours, which would make it counterproductive for the intended goal of losing fat while retaining muscle mass

Thanks for posting the link, that's an AWESOME article

Are you a member of DatBTrue forums? Tons of information on the subject of fasting and the associated benefits on there

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
My head hurts

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

eat some oxy, it doesn't count as food

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Eat something. Fasting for weight loss is beyond stupid dude

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Troutful posted:

Eat something. Fasting for weight loss is beyond stupid dude

Im having a pasta dinner with my boyfriends family tomorrow night, that is when I've decided to eat

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Irrational Bees posted:

Im having a pasta dinner with my boyfriends family tomorrow night, that is when I've decided to eat

Are you drinking anything beyond water? Seriously, have a V8 or some orange juice or something.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Are you drinking anything beyond water? Seriously, have a V8 or some orange juice or something.

don't listen to this

if it's really bad eat one (1) tictac

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Hey OP have you tried cutting your dick off officially yet? I heard that may take an ounce or two off.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

Hey OP have you tried cutting your dick off officially yet? I heard that may take an ounce or two off.

Why don't you go the store and buy a softball and a laundry marker and write "big dick joke setup" on it!!!!

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

As far as health is concerned, you're definitely right. But it's not really possible--in my experience--to remain active and lift weights when fasting for longer than 48 hours, which would make it counterproductive for the intended goal of losing fat while retaining muscle mass

Thanks for posting the link, that's an AWESOME article

Are you a member of DatBTrue forums? Tons of information on the subject of fasting and the associated benefits on there

Yes it's not wise to attempt an extended fast if you're intending on competing in any way because you won't be at your physical best when carbohydrate depleted, but extended fasting's goals are looking at the bigger picture as it's meant to be done once in a great while. The body kicks up the hormone HGH while fasting which helps to preserve muscle while your body starts to run primarily on bodyfat. Of course you will lose some muscle mass in the process, but the idea is that when you do start eating again, your body will build in the long run. I've weight lifted while fasting for 5 days and it wasn't a problem. It's definitely different and cardio isn't possible though there is evidence that training while fasted has its benefits.

More important than that though is the strong effect extended fasting has on suppressing IGF-1 levels (among various other hormones) in your body, which leads to decelerating aging, creates a bad environment for pre-cancerous cells, and enters your body into repair mode. Intermittent fasting is healthy, but it doesn't produce powerful enough hormonal shifts in your body to have these powerful responses.

Sorry, I'm not familar with DatBTrue forums. I actually learned about intermittent fasting through SA's fitness forum on here a while back, and started to read up on what published science there is on fasting in general (There isn't much, there's no money to be made from it).

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/277860.php

quote:

Other studies have also linked PKA to the control of stem cell self-renewal and pluripotency - the extent to which they can become different cell-types.

Prolonged fasting also led to a drop in IGF-1, a growth factor hormone linked to aging, cancer and tumor progression.

Switching off the gene for PKA is the key step that triggers the stem cells to shift to regeneration, Prof. Longo says. "It gives the OK for stem cells to go ahead and begin proliferating and rebuild the entire system."

And the good news, he adds, is that the body also rids itself "of the parts of the system that might be damaged or old, the inefficient parts, during the fasting. Now, if you start with a system heavily damaged by chemotherapy or aging, fasting cycles can generate, literally, a new immune system."

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 17, 2016

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Windows 98 posted:

I'm keeping it.

boom boom boom posted:

I'm trying my best not to drink anything either, I think I had a glass of juice last night but thats been it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How about you eat a bullet. It will cure all that ails you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Jose Oquendo posted:

How about you eat a bullet. It will cure all that ails you.

Please don't do that.

• Locked thread