Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Celluloid Sam posted:

ben i tthink you need to take a tolerance break from something awful

I'm happy that you care about me so much, Sid, but, you're not the boss of me. The Omnissiah is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

Actually games workshop has no reason to exist in 2016 because of computers

Why have a thing with a zillion expensive pieces that you can play with five insane people in your city after extraordinary effort when you can pay five bucks on steam and play a war in an hour with anyone in the world

My friend made a grid sheet that was the right size for the bases and we would just print out our army and tape pennies to them to keep them from blowing away. Bam, I have a gigantic army that cost me like $1.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Testikles posted:

My friend made a grid sheet that was the right size for the bases and we would just print out our army and tape pennies to them to keep them from blowing away. Bam, I have a gigantic army that cost me like $1.

*Thread snickers and laughs the poor person out of the Games Workshop store*

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

Fusilli Jerry posted:

my fiance just recently put his orc figurines up on our bookshelf (visible to guests) ...should I sever?

Yes find someone with necrons on display.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Testikles posted:

jokes on you because the rules are terrible and easily the worst part of the whole game

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In the real WH40K thread I asked why people wouldn't use rules from an older edition that were far less lovely and apparently people would look at you like you had two heads if you suggested playing an older edition

Now that is Corporate Stockholm Syndrome!

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Professor Shark posted:

In the real WH40K thread I asked why people wouldn't use rules from an older edition that were far less lovely and apparently people would look at you like you had two heads if you suggested playing an older edition

It is because they bought a new model, which is OP in the new rules and cost $500

As was mentioned magic-cards still print money even with fakes.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

jokes on you because the rules are terrible and easily the worst part of the whole game

Yeah it wasn't that fun of an experience. There's a reason why I don't play anymore.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

The Biscuit posted:

It is because they bought a new model, which is OP in the new rules and cost $500

As was mentioned magic-cards still print money even with fakes.

The thing is, with Magic the majority of sales go to people who are going to be playing in organized events (leagues or tournaments), and if you get caught using fakes in that kind of setting you'll get blacklisted pretty fast.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Mars-Alpha-Pattern-Warlord-Titan

£1,240. What the gently caress. Apparently this will take a while to be delivered because demand is so high.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

de la peche posted:

£1,240. What the gently caress. Apparently this will take a while to be delivered because demand is so high.

doesnt even come with the hanging banners that they show in the pictures holy poo poo what a ripoff

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Testikles posted:

I think their new business model is licencing their intellectual rights to mediocre video games.

GW hosed themselves in the 90s/early 2000s when they hated, HATED video game versions of their poo poo.

GW would be loving Blizzard right now if they agreed to licence them WH40k for Starcraft.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i really liked the space marines third person shooter and blood bowl 2 is fantastic i know they had a few games early on that were poorly received bu i think they are doing good in the video game market now

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fusilli Jerry posted:

my fiance just recently put his orc figurines up on our bookshelf (visible to guests) ...should I sever?

Depends on how nicely painted they are.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
ive had an unused orc and goblin army i painted when i was a teenager for almost a decade now that i havent sold because it feels too terrible to go to a game shop and haggle the value of my plastic and metal orcs

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I don't understand why GW blew up their fantasy stuff right when they're finally releasing/released more high profile games using the fantasy label. Then again, I never could get into the minis for 40k or fantasy despite my interest in them because of the cost and the fact that most of the people I know that play constantly complained about rules/other players. If it wasn't doing well, wouldn't it just have made more sense to discontinue fantasy as a mini game and just keep the fluff for other ips and pen and paper games? More new minis seems like a potential money sink.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

how profitable are tabletop games even

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Fire Barrel posted:

I don't understand why GW blew up their fantasy stuff right when they're finally releasing/released more high profile games using the fantasy label. Then again, I never could get into the minis for 40k or fantasy despite my interest in them because of the cost and the fact that most of the people I know that play constantly complained about rules/other players. If it wasn't doing well, wouldn't it just have made more sense to discontinue fantasy as a mini game and just keep the fluff for other ips and pen and paper games? More new minis seems like a potential money sink.

The only reason said games are around is because GW blew up fantasy and thus don't care about the IP anymore

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I like boardgames too but lol if you spend more than $50 on one

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

relic,dawn of war, and vermintide are all awesome. Total warhammer looks awesome. gw lucked into a setting that works well with video/board games. too bad the company is full of smug retards

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

happyhippy posted:

GW hosed themselves in the 90s/early 2000s when they hated, HATED video game versions of their poo poo.

GW would be loving Blizzard right now if they agreed to licence them WH40k for Starcraft.

at the same time to be able to make that decision would basically require them to not be games workshop.

which is a good plan.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

de la peche posted:

I could 3d print that for about $2

naem
May 29, 2011

I'm not sure I understand their business strategy of "a gross fat guy who is genuinely mad that I came into his store/storage space/hog wallow so that I can politely ask if I can hand him $70"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

naem posted:

I'm not sure I understand their business strategy of "a gross fat guy who is genuinely mad that I came into his store/storage space/hog wallow so that I can politely ask if I can hand him $70"

The GW guy used to watch us like a hawk when my friends and I used to go in as teenagers, except by hawk I mean mole because he would stand right behind us

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

this is accurate from my experience

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Wouldn't a mole be standing under you?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I like boardgames too but lol if you spend more than $50 on one

The first boxed edition of WH40k had two small armies you could play with, and some cardboard sheets with terrain, blast templates, etc.
For $50-ish. Full rules, you got everything.

Now the book is $50, same armies would be another $50 EACH, and the cardboard terrain is loving $250!
And you still don't have the dice and blast markers and such.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
You can still get a two army starter set for like 200

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Professor Shark posted:

GW hates their customers, they want new people to get interested in the game and buy a couple armies then move on, since they stop buying stuff and start demanding more

Of course they don't advertise or do anything to appeal to new customers so what the gently caress

I once interviewed for a position managing one of their shops, just as a BS job for a few months before I graduated and got a real job. When the HR manager asked me why they should consider me, I told them about my 7 years management experience. He paused and said:

"What if I told you we don't care at all about experience?"

I didn't get the job. They literally want to hire people with little to no work experience to manage their stores because they believe they have a product that sells itself and their retail model is flawless (the store I was interviewing for had gone through 3 managers in 18 months because it couldn't hit sales goals).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
who needs a 3D printer? you can just buy a few buckets of these from the dollar store for $5 in different colours, and play warhammer all you want:

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Prav posted:

at the same time to be able to make that decision would basically require them to not be games workshop.

which is a good plan.

They flat out could've been WoW. I mean, they'd have to go back all the way to the first Warcraft, which was supposed to be a Warhammer game until they pulled out, but they could've. Instead, they only managed something that looked (and was) a dollar store WoW knockoff that crashed and burned.

"I can't believe your ignorance. Warhammer is the original. If anything, WoW is the knockoff and is about to get what's coming to it."

And then it turned out it was only like ten people hyping it up all over the net and only those ten people played it.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i hope they find a way to evolve their business and not only survive but thrive in light of these exciting new technologies,op

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If only GW could some how put the characters from MLP and SU into their game, then it would get interesting.,

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Professor Shark posted:

Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

max4me posted:

If only GW could some how put the characters from MLP and SU into their game, then it would get interesting.,

Warhammer's pretty much that, except made back in an earlier age when nerds were into earlier stuff. They'd just grab things from sci-fi/fantasy books or movies, change them in an "I am Sherry Bobbins, an original character" way, and have them fight. All that "grim" nonsense is in it because it's from the late 80s and 90s. Just sticking to that and adding new nonsense as new nonsense caught on might've kept the whole mess relevant.

Except now they have a fanbase who think it's a very serious and legitimate setting. That needs to be treated seriously.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Before I ever heard of warhammer, way back in sixth grade, I went in with a friend and bought fifteen bucks worth of green army men. So like, 500 of them. We cut lengths of string for range/line of sight. We used poo poo like Pringles can and Tupperware lids to determine the explosion radius of weapons, and decided how far the different units could move each turn. Then we kept ourselves amused for a long weekend building Lego forts and having mini wars in the back yard.

So I guess what I'm saying is, you guys can totally play warhammer army mans for like 15 bucks.

Or I could hook you up with the D-lux starter pack for $800 if you order now.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Oh yes I'd love to pay $300 for 50 cents worth of plastic that I could replicate at home or my local library with the appropriate stl files.

who gives a gently caress about plastic men over the age of like 12

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
a bloo bloo i have to play this dumb gay bad game but why bother unless i spend a lot of money and time painting gay little figurines life suuuuuuccckkssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

• Locked thread