Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

quote:

Odessa
Cleric
Human, kind eyes, strange hair, common garb, thin body.
STR: 9 (0) CON: 12 (0)
DEX: 8 (-1) INT: 15 (+1)
WIS: 16 (+2) CHA: 13 (+1)

HP: 22
Armor: 1
Damage: d6
Luck: 11/11
Level: 1
Souls: 0

Good
Endanger yourself to heal another.

Deity: Alarai, the North Star, god of travel and travelers, traders and messengers, shepherd to the lost, keeper of lighthouses, ports, and waystations.
✴Knowledge and Hidden Things
✴Your religion has important sacrificial rites, add Petition: Offering. Keep no more than you can carry.

Divine Guidance
When you petition your deity according to the precept of your religion, you are granted some useful knowledge or boon related to your deity’s domain. The GM will tell you what.

Turn Undead
When you hold your holy symbol aloft and call on your deity for protection, roll+Wis.
✴ On a 7+, so long as you continue to pray and brandish your holy symbol, no undead may come within reach of you.
✴ On a 10+, you also momentarily daze intelligent undead and cause mindless undead to flee. Aggression breaks the effects and they are able to act as normal. Intelligent undead may still find ways to harry you from afar. They’re clever like that.

Commune
When you Recover, you:
-Lose any spells already granted to you.
-Are granted new spells of your choice whose total levels don’t exceed your own level+1, and none of which is a higher level than your own level.
-Prepare all of your rotes, which never count against your limit.

Cast a Spell
When you unleash a spell granted to you by your deity, roll+Wis.
✴ On a 10+, the spell is successfully cast and your deity does not revoke the spell, so you may cast it again.
✴ On a 7–9, the spell is cast, but choose one:
-You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot. The GM will tell you how.
-Your casting distances you from your deity—take -1 ongoing to cast a spell until the next time you Recover.
-After you cast it, the spell is revoked by your deity. You cannot cast the spell again until you Recover and have it granted to you.

Book of Miracles
You have mastered several spells and inscribed them in your book. You start out with three first level spells as well as the rotes. Whenever you gain a level, you add a new spell of your level or lower to your book. The book is 1 weight.
Charm Person, Contact Spirits, Invisibility

Gear (7/10)
Divine Symbol - A small bar of meteoric nickel, etched with Alarai's constellation
Book of Miracles (spells, 1wt)
Chainmail (+1 armor, 1wt)
Mace (close, 1wt)
Adventuring Gear (1wt)
2x Dungeon Rations (5/5, 5/5 1wt)

Estus Flask (Unsettling, 5/5)

quote:

Who are you?
Odessa Rahe. My father was a brave and fair captain in the Rajayat royal navy. My mother is a brilliant historian, storyteller, and relentless optimist. When the mist came, our great port city Rajaia was overfilled, and the mist didn't leave half enough delta farmland to support us all. My childhood was framed by a bloody civil war, which turned to a tense stand-off between warring tribes, which degenerated into gangs of rampaging cannibals, which finally cooled off into a loose affiliation of tired survivors.

My mother always kept us one step ahead of the worst of it. When she had to murder somebody, she always asked me to look away first. When someone in the distance was screaming, she would distract me with tales of the old world. She taught me to run before fighting, and to go for the throat when I had no choice. Whenever I had a question, why, she would respond with a short fable about the old gods, or the old heroes, that put things in perspective. Even moments after getting stabbed, she denied that anybody was ever evil, only hungry and desperate and confused, and that some day clearer heads would prevail and we could learn to trust and cooperate. She was right - and, as she eventually admitted, very lucky. She is very much my role model.

After things calmed down, I learned, I played, I explored the palace and the port and the city over and over again, I tried to re-create the old world in my head. My imagined version of it is probably way off. My mother and I both found ways to make ourselves useful to the eventual community, finding and crafting and re-purposing old things. It was nice.

quote:

What happened to you?
I had enough. Angst, wanderlust, stir-craziness, and what I am now certain was a Divine compulsion - I was ready to either leave the city, or die. As a child, my favorite place to play, and sometimes to hide from cannibal-gangs, was among the many great ships moored at the port. For years, I'd studied every scrap of paper and asked every question I could about sailing, first out of curiosity about my father's life, later with the intent of someday casting off. I chose a small skiff, spent days rigging up scrounged sails and scraping off years and years of barnacles. I left my mother a note, because I knew she would talk me out of it for another year. I don't remember the date. I sailed out on the nighttime seaward breeze, heading for the north star Alarai. I wish I could say I didn't look back. Or panic. Or cry.

I'd heard that a good ship could make it down the great river and reach the open ocean by noon. Through the mist, and learning that there is no substitute for experience, I ran aground several times over the next two days. The shore was lush with overgrown, overripe plant life I didn't recognize, and I did not dare step foot off the skiff into the black muck. I thought about all the beautiful paintings I'd seen of the ocean stretching off to the horizon... through the mist, I was only able to mark my passage into the ocean by the salt in the water around me.

I ran out of food and fresh water. I vomited from drinking salt. I felt like I was out at sea for weeks, but it may have been only a day or two. Then, the fog parted, and there in broad daylight was the widest blue-green expanse of water I had ever seen. And stretching across the horizon, a massive fleet of over a hundred warships, corsairs, galleys - the royal armada, still afloat after all these years. And afloat together! They were lashed together by a wide improvised work of ropes and nets, bobbing out of sync with each other, occasionally creaking and knocking together. I forgot my thirst, rowed to them, and started exploring between hulls, looking for an easy way up to the decks.

I rounded the corner of a galley, and saw a woman standing on the water's surface. Her skin was bluish, like she'd drowned, and her dark hair was knotted with seaweed and kelp. She kicked at the water, almost playfully, and a white-crested wave rose up with incredible force, to snap my skiff against a warship's keel and break my leg. She took a step towards me, looking curious, and a thirty-foot swell rose up to flip me off of the splintered wood I was clinging to. She held out a finger and beckoned me forward, only to call a hurricane-force gust of wind that pulled the air from my lungs. She looked amused as I sunk beneath the surface to drown.

quote:

What do you do?
I spend about a minute totally agog, reeling in terror and confusion. I find a small with Alarai's constellation, and it gives me a sudden sense of peace and clarity. I get a feel for my new connection to Alarai, and the powers for which I am a conduit. Without words, much of it makes intuitive sense. I piece together that everybody else around me is also confused - that these people are checking themselves for wounds suggest they were also 'killed' and brought here. Whatever the hell is happening, we should put our heads together for it - I'm going to try to calm everyone down, get us grounded, and get some dialogue going. I'll approach somebody nearby and start by asking them to tell me about the figures and the stories on their foreign tapestry. I'm going to listen, pipe up occasionally to relate something from my land to theirs, and hopefully establish some common ground, maybe get the rest of the group in on a conversation.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I like it a lot! Even more options to wring my hands over.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I vote for C.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
To establish some basic philosophical ground with the Cleric (who is a woman), Ser Dominik and Mikaela; you both mentioned a capital-G God, which implies a lot. What does your big Guy think about polytheistic foreigners who believe that their mystical powers come from one of many star gods?

Agerios, hypothetically, if someone said that your philosopher-kings were a bunch of blow-hard dictators running a nation-sized personality cult, how would you take it?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Based on some conversation about the lands we lived in, and astronomical constants, does it seem like we're all from different nations, or different worlds entirely?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
So, I get a brain load of that merchant & caste memory from having picked up his armor?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

The Other Thread posted:

The vision ends, and you know the grisly death that awaits Dominik and Odessa. What do you do?

I'm not clear on what this means. Mikaela just hero'd us out of having to decide who gets squished, right? Or does this just mean some of the many other ways in which we're probably going to die?

If I misunderstood and we still need a tribute, I'll volunteer.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 31, 2016

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I'll make us all rich. :suicide:

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Finally found an image that looks like my character.

If I get re-formed, can I take a toke from the bad mystic vessel to finally get spells? Or will that need a proper Recovery, since the wording was 'restore spent spells.'

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Bacon In A Wok posted:

Discern Realities - roll on IRC was 2d6=11. The question Mikaela wants answered, since she hasn't read the DW rulebook, is 'How do we get past the trees?'. Not sure which if any of the questions on the standard list best translates, let me know if I need to ask a different question altogether.

http://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/moves#TOC-Discern-Realities

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Yeah girl, do your knife thing, I got your back.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Oooh, okay. I was going off,

quote:

quote:
Spellbook Book of Miracles
You have mastered several spells and inscribed them in your book. You start out with three first level spells as well as the rotes. Whenever you gain a level, you add a new spell of your level or lower to your book. The book is 1 weight.

Which I thought meant in addition to the other Cleric moves that include all cleric spells. I thought it was maybe ridiculously good, but I figured that meant you had very bad adversity planned. In that case, I'll start with Speak with Dead, Bless, and Cause Fear, plus one wizard spell after our new best wizard friend picks theirs.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Given our replenishable mortality and mystical flask thingies, committing a whole spell slot to healing seems a little meh. I'll snag Charm Person.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Does Agerios still get the bonus from my flubbed Bless?

Also, I figured out a great way to work the new characters in. I'll just get us all killed and we can meet them back in the nexus!

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Oh yeah! Doing it. Edited a roll into the thread post - gonna add some prayer to that prayer.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Hey, me too! :hfive:

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Oh, alright! It's revoked, then.

I wouldn't have pegged Venner for a stand-and-fight type either, but it sounds like the gently caress-hound has him pretty well cornered. If it only helps with one roll while he tries to get past it, it (probably) won't have been wasted. Gotta stop being so stingy with spells, anyways.

Edited it as revoked.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 28, 2016

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I think our soul bank will keep accumulating if we get the bonfire, but this is an opportunity to 'cash out' and get somebody a bonus soul move. (?)

If somebody wants to disagree with me and snuff the hell pooch, that'd be a pretty interesting turn.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I think it's funnier if he destroys the door again instead of opening it.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I meant to encourage Ysolde to start the zappin' ritual, but spouting lore is absolutely something Odessa would do if it were remotely possible. Edited post.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Loving it all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Derp. :downs: Edited this post with damage and a defy danger roll.

• Locked thread