Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

detroit has lost over a million residents since deindustrialization began. and the infrastructure to take care of that many people still exists. detroit has full water, sewer, and public electric provision to places that look like this:
It's clearly a solution looking for a problem. Detroit could become a refugee-to-American processing camp, home to a million and possibly more refugees from the Middle East and elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's clearly a solution looking for a problem. Detroit could become a refugee-to-American processing camp, home to a million and possibly more refugees from the Middle East and elsewhere.

Hasn't that historically been Guam in the past? It makes more sense to keep a large group of refugees you need to run background checks and acclimate to the culture somewhere geographically limited where they can't just wander off.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

DeathSandwich posted:

Hasn't that historically been Guam in the past? It makes more sense to keep a large group of refugees you need to run background checks and acclimate to the culture somewhere geographically limited where they can't just wander off.

That's worked out great for Australia

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Dearborn has a lot of Arab Americans and Hamtramck elected a majority Muslim city council, this could have legs

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/01/15/flin-j15.html?view=article_mobile

quote:

This is what happened according to Edwards: “In the next five days the City collected 30 samples, all of which were below the action level, and did not reach the 100 sample target. If all 71 collected samples were counted, the City would have exceeded the 15 ppb action level.Federal law would then require that Flint residents be provided information about how to protect themselves and their children from lead in water .”

Del Toral’s concern with the sampling methods being used was a major problem for the MDEQ’s operation, which can only be described as criminal. On August 4, Walters and another Flint resident, Melissa Mays, described a meeting they had with MDEQ officials Liane Shekter-Smith (Chief of the Office of Drinking Water and Municipal Assistance), Stephen Busch and Brad Wurfel. Like a mafioso, Shekter-Smith bragged that “Mr. Del Toral has been handled,” and that Flint residents would not be hearing from him again, adding that Del Toral’s interim memo on corrosion control “would never be finalized.”

The MDEQ knowingly minimized lead in their samples, did not collect enough samples, and strong armed any hint of dissent.

So what was the reason for doing this, killing up to 10 people with legionairre's disease and giving an unknown number of children some degree of brain damage?

Uh...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Psycho Society posted:

The MDEQ knowingly minimized lead in their samples, did not collect enough samples, and strong armed any hint of dissent.

So what was the reason for doing this, killing up to 10 people with legionairre's disease and giving an unknown number of children some degree of brain damage?

Uh...
I think it's pretty understandable. No one likes meetings.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the detroit area is already a favorite of refugees, the big problem tho is that people left that area because there's no jobs and also the climate is bullshit

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blowdryer posted:

(hint: racism and punishing liberal minority-majority cities with long histories of labor activism, also removing the 'undesirables' so they can remake Detroit in their own image. Ever heard of the Detroit Future City plan)?
Wow. They're so comically evil they basically looked at RoboCop and said 'We should do that!'

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Blowdryer posted:

Copy pasting because someone asked about this in USPol and I bookmarked it.

Er... I'm not sure if it's the result of a botched copy paste job but pretty much all of those link don't work.

Edit: yeah, it was a result of the copy paste. Can't seem to quote the original post (at least on awful app) so Here's a link.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 25, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BlackIronHeart posted:

It's a bit more complicated and hosed up than that. The Detroit Free Press has written about it quite a bit.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/01/16/president-obama-declares-emergency-flint/78898604/

Basically, our Governor appointed an Emergency Manager to run the city because it was in bad financial straits. The appointed EM, Darnell Earley, went about slashing and cutting costs to try and resolve the financial situation. Not that he wants to admit that now, of course.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/01/14/in-flint-bad-tap-water-runs-politically-deep/

In short, welcome to the Snyder-ation; "gently caress you and do what I tell you, god drat it!"

rscott posted:

When people ask me why the gently caress I moved to Kansas it's because I used to live in Flint

This is all continuing fallout from GMs decision to abandon the town back in the 70s and 80s, the resulting collapse of the tax base and the slow decay of the infrastructure in the city. The city has had emergency managers off and on since 2002 and efforts to spin the city into a college town have largely failed for a lack of investment.

Well, not for lack of trying. Seems Flint has a really bad image including a horrid crime rate and no one wants to sink money into that shithole.

I live about 20 miles east of flint and we're getting some of the sprawling violence here. Recently over the last two years there's been a number of domestic violence calls and gunfire mostly from people who moved out of flint

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 25, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

This article I'm reading in The Economist says that treating the river-water to make it safe for the pipes would have cost a hundred dollars a day.

The next time someone calls themselves a "financial conservative" in my presence, I may not be able to fully retain my composure.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ayn rand hand job posted:

Centralia isn't a superfund site and Flint is approx 100x the population of Centralia at its peak, so probably never.

Eh, do it like Pripyat. Tell everyone they're being evacuated for 3 days, line up busses, get them all out, shoot the pets, hose down the tires and never let them go back till Flint has been reclaimed by nature. Play our cards right we can turn it into a desolate tourist hotspot too

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SocketWrench posted:

Eh, do it like Pripyat. Tell everyone they're being evacuated for 3 days, line up busses, get them all out, shoot the pets, hose down the tires and never let them go back till Flint has been reclaimed by nature. Play our cards right we can turn it into a desolate tourist hotspot too

I don't think it would have the same appeal if the town was already halfway reclaimed by nature before the evacuation.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doc Hawkins posted:

The next time someone calls themselves a "financial conservative" in my presence, I may not be able to fully retain my composure.
Just think of all the money being spent on the fallout of all this. And the delicious, delicious lawsuits that are going to be spawned, much less the healthcare costs.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Edit: Thought better of posting this.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 25, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I would like to thank the citizens of Michigan for their unflagging efforts to support arguments that people who think government is bad will govern badly, but really, you've done enough, please stop.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The most annoying part of this is that Rick Snyder keeps saying that he promises to "fix it" but lead poisoning is not fixable.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 25, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SocketWrench posted:

Well, not for lack of trying. Seems Flint has a really bad image including a horrid crime rate and no one wants to sink money into that shithole.

I live about 20 miles east of flint and we're getting some of the sprawling violence here. Recently over the last two years there's been a number of domestic violence calls and gunfire mostly from people who moved out of flint

lead poisoning tends to increase violent acts and behavior. good thing gov snyder is trying to help flint with their image problems

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Condiv posted:

lead poisoning tends to increase violent acts and behavior. good thing gov snyder is trying to help flint with their image problems
Someone needs to check the water in the White House!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, does the water at least taste good? Romans loved fruit syrup from fruits boiled in lead cauldrons, because the lead made it taste sweeter.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Romans also thought drinking an athlete's sweat and piss gave them their vitality.

Do we have anyone in today's day and age who can confirm this?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Regalingualius posted:

The Romans also thought drinking an athlete's sweat and piss gave them their vitality.

Do we have anyone in today's day and age who can confirm this?

Well, its not MY fetish but I know a guy...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Blowdryer posted:

Copy pasting because someone asked about this in USPol and I bookmarked it.

[:tinfoil:]

Ain't no bumblefucking or mismanagement about it, son. They're doing what they were paid to do: clear out the undesirables, one way or the other.

How persuasive should I find the explanatory power of this? I want to believe

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Well, does the water at least taste good? Romans loved fruit syrup from fruits boiled in lead cauldrons, because the lead made it taste sweeter.

Probably? Lead acetate tastes sweet, which is why kids like to stuff paint chips down their mouth.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Just think of all the money being spent on the fallout of all this. And the delicious, delicious lawsuits that are going to be spawned, much less the healthcare costs.

Profit for the Profit God

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Iowa Snow King posted:

Profit for the Profit God

That's a strange way to spell "blood for the blood god".

(:thejoke: is that they're the same thing.)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I love how part of the problem is two non-elected dictators running Detroit and Flint, couldn't reach a financial agreement with one another.

This is Rick Snyder's leadership. He personally placed both individuals and they got in a pissing match that ended with Flint pulling away and going to a lovely backup water source. It doesn't even succeed as fascism. Fascists at least work in lock-step. This is just comical everyone-for-themself backbiting, the likes of which is typically seen in popular depictions of the armies of Hell.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Fascists at least work in lock-step. This is just comical everyone-for-themself backbiting, the likes of which is typically seen in popular depictions of the armies of Hell.
That's not really true as far as I understand. Nazi Germany was rife with petty rivalries, centered around gaining the favor of Hitler.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Someone help me understand the conservative defense of this - the right has been blaming this on the EPA not saying anything or doing anything until it was too late. To what extent is this true, and to what extent does it matter?

Is it more, "City manager was instated which was a bad idea, and made bad choices that set everything in motion, so he is first to blame, but the EPA did not do enough to alert?" The easy answer I'm sure around DnD is "the right wing is lying straight up." but I want to understand the EPA argument a little more

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's not really true as far as I understand. Nazi Germany was rife with petty rivalries, centered around gaining the favor of Hitler.

Ssshhhhhh.

(But yeah, they totally tried to kill Hitler once it was clear he was nuts and his plan was a complete disaster.)

EDIT

SgtScruffy posted:

Someone help me understand the conservative defense of this - the right has been blaming this on the EPA not saying anything or doing anything until it was too late. To what extent is this true, and to what extent does it matter?

Is it more, "City manager was instated which was a bad idea, and made bad choices that set everything in motion, so he is first to blame, but the EPA did not do enough to alert?" The easy answer I'm sure around DnD is "the right wing is lying straight up." but I want to understand the EPA argument a little more

The EPA reported a while ago that there were serious concerns about the water levels, but it either got covered up or lost in the shuffle of generalized dumbassery. To save face, the one side is proclaiming that it was definitely a cover up and therefor no fault whatsoever can be placed at the feet of our glorious god-emperor Snyder.

Listening to my dad go on about this nonsense really opens my eyes to just how refined the Republican bullshit machine is.

Everyone should resign or face prison charges or both. Across party lines. It's been pointed out that if the Michigan Government were ISIS this would be the single most successful attack they've ever staged on a Western target.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 27, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FilthyImp posted:

Don't forget, it is very likely no private individual's pockets will get dinged. All the compensation will come out of public coffers.

Anyway, good article on 538:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-went-wrong-in-flint-water-crisis-michigan/

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 27, 2016

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

SgtScruffy posted:

The EPA is a fairly fractured agency. There's the overarching EPA based in DC, that runs the research and testing laboratories for the major program offices like the Office of Research and Development, Office of Water, Office of Air and Radiation, etc. They set national policy and respond to things like the BP Oil Spill, Superfund sites, that sort of thing. That constitutes about 60% of the agency staffing and the really large facilities in DC, RTP North Carolina, Cincinnati, etc.

The rest of the agency is broken down into 10 Regional Offices that more or less have autonomy from headquarters, that work with state- and local-level environmental agencies on polices, procedures, small-scale testing protocols, and things like that. Flint was handled by Region 5, and there's some rumblings of something going on between the local, state and EPA Region 5 that culminated last week with the Region 5 Administrator resigning, followed shortly by the head of the agency putting out "if you see something that is a critical public health issue you have a duty to escalate it if you feel it is not being acted upon." The general consensus that I've heard is that the local and state agencies collected bad data and Region 5 didn't do it's due diligence at some level to verify that the data was good and just rubber stamped what they were given.

The HQ-run offices are gearing up bigtime to respond to this. There are comparisons to the BP Oil Spill response being thrown around.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is really sad and shameful. Like it's easy to lose perspective about this and that incident du jour but this REALLY shouldn't happen in a first world nation.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pangstrom posted:

This is really sad and shameful. Like it's easy to lose perspective about this and that incident du jour but this REALLY shouldn't happen in a first world nation.

The American right wing is desperately trying to shove the U.S. out of the first world.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Regarding that earlier post about the Flint City Council, that was just Earley trying to shift blame:

538 Article footnotes posted:

Earley has written that the switch to Flint River water was based on a Flint City Council vote. There is no evidence to suggest the City Council voted on the temporary water switch, though it did vote to join the pipeline, and two City Council members and then-Mayor Dayne Walling told me they did not make the decision to switch to river water. Either way, Earley was the one who could ultimately make that decision, and he signed the request to the state treasurer to do so.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

So thread, what will come first, the report from UN observers, or federal action?

Anyway, it's worth noting that snyder gave some company their own water service because the acid/heavy metals/salt in the river was corroding their machines and had caused injuries.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, you are correct. And Imperial Japan was even more of a basket case with lower level officers outright assassinating politicians / ministers / officers viewed as not aggressive enough, and the Army and Navy being completely unable to cooperate and being outright hostile to each other. The Army drafted civilians who worked for the Navy (people involved in shipbuilding and airplane manufacturing, even with highly specialized skills) and the Navy didn't tell the Army about the defeat at Midway until more than a year (or two?) later and intentionally splitting up the survivors of Midway to keep the story from spreading. The insanity currently going on in Sears is the corporate equivalent of this type of leadership.

The appearance of competence and lockstep in the ideology is more important than actual results, until the system comes crashing down.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Listening to my dad go on about this nonsense really opens my eyes to just how refined the Republican bullshit machine is.

The right wing echo chamber and outrage machine is very, very thorough and does operate in a lockstep fashion. It's funny thinking back to the "journo-list" scandal early in Obama's first term where liberal journalists were accused of coordinating their reporting and stories through an internet mailing list, given how day-to-day reporting by the right wing media is obviously coordinated to a ridiculous degree. To be perfectly blunt, anyone still identifying as Republican would have to be entrenched in the propaganda because that's the only way to look at Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, Oklahoma, Kansas and the Bush administration and not want to have more competent leadership in place, or alternatively views the messes they create as somehow good because it affects minorities/liberals more.

ErichZahn posted:

Anyway, it's worth noting that snyder gave some company their own water service because the acid/heavy metals/salt in the river was corroding their machines and had caused injuries.

This alone should sink him (at least force him to loving resign) in any sane system since it shows they were well aware of the water quality issues, but considering the crazy level of racism in Michigan and hatred of Flint/Detroit I doubt that will happen.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pervis posted:

To be perfectly blunt, anyone still identifying as Republican would have to be entrenched in the propaganda because that's the only way to look at Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, Oklahoma, Kansas and the Bush administration and not want to have more competent leadership in place, or alternatively views the messes they create as somehow good because it affects minorities/liberals more.

The comments I hear from Republicans/Libertarians in Michigan is an acceptance of Snyder as bad (I don't think I've heard anyone defend him, though I admit I generally talk to people between 25-35 so maybe the older groups are still trying), but that it's still capital-g Government and just more proof that the government can't be trusted to handle anything and is inherently corrupt.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hahahahaha. Oh man, this is just classic Snyder. If Blagovich went to jail for massive corruption, Snyder deserves the loving chair. At least Blago didn't kill anyone.

quote:

The governor is dispatching his fixer and confidant, Rich Baird, to Flint to help coordinate the state response and to reassure the city’s elected leaders of direct, daily contact with the governor’s office.

And who is Rich Baird? A seriously slimy motherfucker, that's who.

Electablog posted:

Baird has long been Snyder’s “right hand man”, enjoying a position in the governor’s Executive Office and listed as his “Transformation Manager”...

Baird has a list of scandals in Michigan that he is tied to. He was originally paid from a fund set up by Gov. Snyder called the New Energy to Reinvent and Diversify (NERD) Fund. Funding for the NERD Fund was never fully revealed before it was shut down by the governor under mounting criticism and evidence that donors were receiving special favors in return for their contributions. For example, CVS Caremark, the only known contributor, received a $60 million no-bid contract with the City of Detroit under Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr (a Snyder appointee) following their donation to the NERD Fund.

Baird was also one of the originators of the now infamous “Skunk Works” project, an off-the-books” team of people that were scheming to siphon education tax dollars into the bank accounts of private corporations using an illegal voucher program.

Additionally, Baird was also involved in an effort to secure business for Gov. Snyder’s cousin George Snyder to ensure he was protected from budget cuts in 2011. George Snyder runs DBI, a business furniture company with a contract with the state of Michigan and Baird intervened on his behalf to ensure that his contract was safe.

Baird was also once accused at one time of illegal lobbying.

And finally, there’s this:

quote:

Baird was also responsible for bringing in Kevyn Orr as Detroit’s Emergency Manager, well ahead of the time Detroit was even found to be in a financial emergency through the process outlined by our laws. When a lawsuit was filed, the judge in the case ordered Baird to produce the names of the people he had interviewed for the job and Baird claimed that Gov. Snyder had conferred “executive privilege” on him and cited Richard Nixon. That caused this hilarious response from Ingham County Circuit Judge William Collette:

“There’s not one (state) case anywhere that says the governor has an executive privilege,” the judge said.

Peter Ellsworth, a private attorney representing Baird, cited two federal cases involving executive privilege: the 1807 treason trial of Aaron Burr and former President Richard Nixon’s attempt to keep records related to Watergate scandal under wraps.

“No one in their right mind in the last few years has ever cited Richard Nixon for anything,” Collette said, later adding: “Nixon doesn’t stand for anything other than someone attempting to hide a crime.”
It’s astonishing that Gov. Snyder would turn to someone with Baird’s sordid history for such a critical position. Baird has extremely thin skin, particularly when it comes to dealing with women in power. He once threatened to sue then-Senate Democratic Leader Gretchen Whitmer and former Michigan AFL-CIO president Karla Swift for having the temerity to publicly criticize him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Someone really needs to shove a funnel down the governor's throat and force him to drink his poo poo water. :colbert:

• Locked thread