Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Come play Neptunes Pride 2

I'll cut and paste what Toml once said:

Those On My Left posted:

Hello Auspol goons! This thread is the chat thread for a game of Neptune's Pride 2.

Neptune's Pride 2 is in a very very simple turn based strategy game. The game website is here: http://np.ironhelmet.com/ Here is a video that explains the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgwYsGBo5tQ

Despite what the video says, we will be playing this game in turn based mode. This means that there will be no advantage to logging in several times a day to modify your orders in response to changing circumstances. Instead, you should log in once every 24 hours and play your turn. This means the game should not be too much of a drain on ~productivity~.

NP2, aka shooty ships, is a combat strategy game. Your only goal is to control more than half of the total available stars and anything you do is solely to that end. There is no 'tech' victory or 'peace victory'. Though there is a secret robot domination victory where everyone except Coq wins :v:

Only half of the game experience, I reckon anyhow, is moving shooty ships around to shoot other shooty ships. The part where the game really shines is dealing with other players. Making alliances, swapping tech, surprise attacks and back stabbing. The game is what you make of it.

I had a quick google and thought this image best demonstrates how a game of NP2 pride might go:

Neptunes Pride 2 a Great game for Great FRIENDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-HbHCcK58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Last game thread is here : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3738710

So game mechanics time.

We discussed this last time and while epic massive games sound fun, they really aren't.

So lessons from last game make me think we look towards a faster, more frantic game. The game is combat orientated so why beet around the bush?

So I'm proposing

• Type : TURNBASED
  • Production : once every 24 hours (so you get cash once every 24 hour period)
  • Resources STANDARD
  • Dark Galaxy OFF
  • Starting positions CLOSE (as opposed to far)
  • 18 Stars per player (that gives galaxy total)
  • Starting Stars 4

Starting Ships, economy, tech levels, tech trade costs I'm leaving all standard. Anyone have an opinion on that?

One thing I wanted to put to people:

Formal Alliances.

If you played the game yonks ago, it might not have had this mechanic. If you have formal alliances turned off, basically allying is by verbal agreement only and you can't travel through each others star systems. You'd just end up attackign them. It's useful for border control I guess? You can be backstabbed without warning!

If you turn on formal alliances, you both can pay a fee to enter into an alliance. You then share radar data and can travel through each other systems without attacking each other. Good for proper alliances. It takes more than 24 hours to break an alliance so you can't backstab without some warning. Basically the game usually would ends up being massive alliances versus other alliances. Idon't think an alliance on it's own can win a game, the win conditions still sit around an individual so end game could see the winning alliance cannibalizing itself, or you launch SKYNET.

So should we allow them, or not?

Game Start Date

Something we can all agree on again I suppose. I was thinking towards the end of TOMLs Mafia game so we don't interfere.

Player List

when you sign up to NP and go into game, let me know your in game name (if it differs) so I can list it here

1. Bowmore - bowiemore
2. Venom Soag
3. Mithranderp
4. That Bastard Ken
5. Mystical Machine Gun
6. Beetphyxious - space beet
7. GoldStandardConure - 300 chickens
8. Freudian Slip - Freudian Ship
9. Those On My Left
10. Busb
11. Bruck dust otis
12. Gwynplaine
13. Sulla Mario 69
14. Splode
15. Infinitum - Hotdickings
16. birdstrike
17. kommando
18. milky moor

:siren::siren: gonna star the game Thursday night! :siren::siren:

Pretty happy with that even number so signups are CLOSED

hambeet fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 18, 2016

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm keen, i was sad I missed out last time

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism
hell year

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Yeah, I'll play

though I suck at it because I don't like loving other people over

who wants to join my e-bushido alliance

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Mithranderp posted:

Yeah, I'll play

though I suck at it because I don't like loving other people over

who wants to join my e-bushido alliance

I'm in.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I'm interested.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'll be friends with whoever wants to be my friend

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I have no idea what to do so I will be friends with everyone at all times.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

bowmore posted:

i'll be friends with whoever wants to be my friend

uh oh. Careful with that word. Busb has um, co-opted it somewhat.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

http://i.imgur.com/Ufbr5ej.webm

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Venom Soag posted:

uh oh. Careful with that word. Busb has um, co-opted it somewhat.
:shrug:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think I can handle one turn a day. Count me in!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Okay I've sent PM's out

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i invited birdstrike. we'll see :blush:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i am keen

I don't have any preference between formal and informal alliances.

edit: in game name is 300 chickens :henget:

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Pew Pew Pew

Blat Blat Blat

Game name is Freudian Slip

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my in game name is bowiemore

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My in game name is MysticalMachineGun - I'd only be happy with formal alliances if breaking them is as easy as informal ones :kheldragar:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I hate myself

Let's do it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Beetphyxious posted:

Okay I've sent PM's out

I didn't get one? Beet, are you subtly shaming me :confused:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
between this and 2 mafs I'm probably not jumping in but I'll see how I go if you need players

mechanics wise the main thing to note is the option to resign and turn your alliance over to Ai control. How the Ai works is that it basically desires space communism and will hate everyone who has planets above the set # per player (18).

If multiple people resign, the AI players are likely to form a skynet cabal. The cheaper text exchange costs are, the stronger this cabal will get because they will always trade between themselves.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I didn't get one? Beet, are you subtly shaming me :confused:

To the people who said yes in thread thr other day. You didn't, but I advertised in thread for late comers.

Here we are.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Then I have been shamed due to being late to the party :derptiel:

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
im eager to gently caress up real bad again

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
woot woo

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Brick Dust Otis posted:

im eager to gently caress up real bad again

yesssssss

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I am literally going to play this game.

I thought i read somewhere in the forums about a game like neptunes pride that was better without all the recriminations but i forget what it was called so sure lets do this again

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
watch out busb, it's cold in space

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

It's okay busb is pretty friendly

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
I'm...
I'm Dirge

And I'm in.

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine
Hey busb

Friend

Want an alliance?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm in. Formal alliances are for wusses imo.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
No one is safe
The safe shall die

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

All shall burn

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine
formal alliances are great you should leave them on

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine
im gunna kill infinitum and then coz ive got him on ignore i wont ever have to listen to his whining about how he died

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

busb posted:

I am literally going to play this game.

I thought i read somewhere in the forums about a game like neptunes pride that was better without all the recriminations but i forget what it was called so sure lets do this again

Aren't all the recriminations the best part?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Here's a primer on how the turns work and the games timing mechanics.

The game has a unit of measurement called a tick. It equates to one hour in real life.

Everything is measured in ticks, travel time, production, research.

I've set the game so that every 24 ticks you will get paid and this more or less equates to one turn.

If you don't submit a turn within 24 hours the turn will automatically end and advance to the next turn.

If all players submit end turn before the 24 hours is up the game will instantly advance to the 24th tick and start the next turn. This means you can actually have more than one turn in a day, but don't fret, as long as you check in once every 24 hour period you'll never miss a turn. What it does mean though is the turn start and finish times might change as it will be 24 hours from the start of a new turn.

Also I think most events in games generally occur on whole ticks not part ticks. For example if you break a formal alliance it takes 24 ticks before you can attack again. In reality you can't attack until the 25th tick or after. If you send ships off prior and hope to land just on or a little bit after the 24th tick, eg 24.5 ticks, your attack won't work.

Someone please chime in if I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Whoops, Combat does resolve in part ticks though. So if someone is attacking you and their fleet is 2.4 ticks away and you send a reinforcement fleet and it's 2.5 ticks away, it'll get there AFTER the combat has been resolved and the other player is in control of the star. They'd therefore have the defensive bonus.

It might all sound complicated, it's really, really not. If soag, who hates video games, could learn it it's pretty easy.

• Locked thread