Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Is there any way to change the size of the quick reply window to be friendlier to smaller desktops? On a 1280x720 display the title bar disappears above the top of the desktop. You'd think this wouldn't come up these days but for good or ill Firefox is almost a model HiDPI app and on Windows this is how ill appears.

Yeah I'd rather not turn off HiDPI on an 11.6" 1920x1080 screen.

Short term: throw this in a Stylish or userChrome.css type deal:

code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
@-moz-document url("chrome://salastread/content/quickquote.xul") {
  #previewiframe {
    height: 200px; /* Default: 300px */
  }
  .messagearea {
    height: 200px !important; /* Default: 300px */
  }
}
Changes take a close+reopen of the quick window to apply if you're using Stylish but probably a browser restart if editing userChrome.css. Adjust values as necessary. :)

Long term: Quick Quote is limping along with a massive pile of hacks and I am really looking forward to redoing it in HTML since XUL is eventually going to be removed.

edit: Clarification

astral fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:toot:SALR v4.1.0 is out!

(note: you will auto-update to this version!)

New in v4.1.0:

• Tan-colored bookmarks now display as tan in forums to distinguish between 'unread thread' and 'unread bookmark'.
  • Improved SALR's performance in thread lists (bookmarks list + forums).
  • Added option to prevent forums JS from autoplaying gifv/gfys.
    • You can find this option in the Threads preference pane -> Video Embed Options.
  • Accidentally middle-clicking 'Add Coloring/Note', 'Show/Hide Avatar', or 'Mark as unread' buttons will no longer open useless new tabs.
  • Post dates/times no longer wrap to a new line.
  • Reduced the amount of space between lines of user notes.
  • Fixed imgur API breakage (now using API version 3).
  • Imgur upload tool enhancements:
    • Added a progress bar for imgur uploads.
    • Imgur upload tool now outputs https image links.
    • The deletion link for an uploaded image is now printed to the browser console (usually ctrl+shift+j), just in case.
    • Improved the security of the imgur upload tool.
  • Moved admin, mod, and OP custom highlighting into CSS classes - changes to these now take effect instantly.
  • Removed some redundant CSS classes (salastread_thread_*, salastread_forum_*).

If you run into any problems or have any questions / comments, feel free to post in this thread, stop by the web chat, or hop on IRC at irc.synirc.net channel #salr

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Is there a way to move where the quick reply window appears?
I have dual monitors and I would like quick reply to follow FF and appear on the same screen as FF.

If that isn't possible would it at least be possible to have it always appear on my secondary screen which is where I most often have FF?

Thanks.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FillInTheBlank posted:

Is there a way to move where the quick reply window appears?
I have dual monitors and I would like quick reply to follow FF and appear on the same screen as FF.

If that isn't possible would it at least be possible to have it always appear on my secondary screen which is where I most often have FF?

Thanks.

Looked into this - I can make the window remember its last position; would that suffice?
Scroll down for the latest dev version - Quick Quote window now opens relative to the current browser window.

astral fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 3, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

astral posted:

Looked into this - I can make the window remember its last position; would that suffice?

It'd help him but if it were possible to have it try and match the top-left of its parent window that'd be super-useful - sometimes I move screens and it's annoying to have it default to central. Hardly a big deal, though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tesseraction posted:

if it were possible to have it try and match the top-left of its parent window that'd be super-useful
This would also prevent it from popping up on a monitor Windows didn't notice isn't connected anymore or some poo poo, unlike remembering where it was last time.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:v4.1.1-dev.0 - here's a build you can test with quick quote position remembering.

Tesseraction posted:

It'd help him but if it were possible to have it try and match the top-left of its parent window that'd be super-useful - sometimes I move screens and it's annoying to have it default to central. Hardly a big deal, though.

This should be doable; I'll look into it.

Flipperwaldt posted:

This would also prevent it from popping up on a monitor Windows didn't notice isn't connected anymore or some poo poo, unlike remembering where it was last time.

This actually shouldn't be a problem with remembering position based on the docs but someone can test to be sure.

astral fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 3, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Easiest way to test is with a vga connection, because you can unplug that without Windows noticing. I'd test it in a heartbeat, but my old laptop's screen is broken and I don't know how to trigger the quick quote window blindly.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:SALR v4.1.1-dev.1 is out.
(note: you will not auto-update to this version, but this version will auto-update to the next release version)

New in v4.1.1-dev:
  • Quick Quote window now opens relative to the current browser window.

quote:

New in v4.1.0:

• Tan-colored bookmarks now display as tan in forums to distinguish between 'unread thread' and 'unread bookmark'.
  • Improved SALR's performance in thread lists (bookmarks list + forums).
  • Added option to prevent forums JS from autoplaying gifv/gfys.
    • You can find this option in the Threads preference pane -> Video Embed Options.
  • Accidentally middle-clicking 'Add Coloring/Note', 'Show/Hide Avatar', or 'Mark as unread' buttons will no longer open useless new tabs.
  • Post dates/times no longer wrap to a new line.
  • Reduced the amount of space between lines of user notes.
  • Fixed imgur API breakage (now using API version 3).
  • Imgur upload tool enhancements:
    • Added a progress bar for imgur uploads.
    • Imgur upload tool now outputs https image links.
    • The deletion link for an uploaded image is now printed to the browser console (usually ctrl+shift+j), just in case.
    • Improved the security of the imgur upload tool.
  • Moved admin, mod, and OP custom highlighting into CSS classes - changes to these now take effect instantly.
  • Removed some redundant CSS classes (salastread_thread_*, salastread_forum_*).

astral fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 3, 2016

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Thank you!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I started work on redoing the quick reply window in HTML, and my first reaction is that it's really a pain. I'm not really a front-end webdesigner and I'm sure it shows, but I already miss XUL's native UI elements like menus. At this point I'm just trying to make it as similar to the old one as possible, but that's subject to change.

There's not much to see yet (mainly the general layout + my first attempt at replacing the native vB code menu), but feedback and suggestions are certainly welcome. If there's something you want to see changed about the quick window, now is a good time to share it! :)

e: Sidenote - my plan is for there to eventually be 2 versions of the quick editor, one that lives on the forum page as an overlay that can pop out to its own window to become the more familiar/traditional quick editor. The on-page one would look different, and there would be an option to use either one as the default.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Been using the new relative-to-window quick reply and it's excellent - could I be fussy and ask for an option to make a custom offset? I like to have the quick reply window -15 pixels x/y from the top-left corner of the window.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Been using the new relative-to-window quick reply and it's excellent - could I be fussy and ask for an option to make a custom offset? I like to have the quick reply window -15 pixels x/y from the top-left corner of the window.

Maybe eventually as a low-priority thing; my short-term focus is going to be on the HTML version of the quick reply window (important since XUL support is going to go away) and also working out the best way to rework SALR's database so that it will a) work with Firefox Sync so you can share your poster notes and whatnot between profiles, and b) be forward-compatible with webextensions.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh definitely - in the meantime I'm perfectly capable of clicking and dragging as soon as I open the pop-up, it's merely a request!

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Something weird happened to me after installing SALR for the first time. After linking an MP4 off of someone's website, I was greeted with this:

"No video with supported format and MIME type found."

When I click 'view video' on the greyed-out box, it seems to be changing the format from .mp4 to .webm.

Interestingly, the problem didn't go away when I disabled SALR or uninstalled it.

http://www.billwurtz.com/im-a-piece-of-garbage.mp4

Chelb fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 18, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm guessing you have uMatrix or something similar installed. I had the same issue, and you've got to un-block the domain for whatever media you want to see. For instance, I've never come across billwurtz.com before, so of course uMatrix blocks the hell out of it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rollofthedice posted:

Something weird happened to me after installing SALR for the first time. After linking an MP4 off of someone's website, I was greeted with this:

"No video with supported format and MIME type found."

When I click 'view video' on the greyed-out box, it seems to be changing the format from .mp4 to .webm.

Interestingly, the problem didn't go away when I disable SALR or uninstalled it.

http://www.billwurtz.com/im-a-piece-of-garbage.mp4

A few things are happening here:
  1. Forums javascript turns links to videos such as that one into embedded videos.
  2. You're browsing via https:, so requests to insecure content (like that video) are upgraded to a secure request.
  3. That webhost doesn't have a proper SSL configuration (their certificate is self-signed), so when the browser tries to request that video over a secure connection, the request fails and the resource isn't loaded.

None of that has anything to do with SALR (except maybe that you get redirected to the secure version of the page after posting), but hopefully this answers your question about what's going on. As a workaround you can browse via http:, but the real solution is either to rehost that video somewhere that has proper SSL support or encourage that webhost to properly support SSL. They can get a real certificate easily and free via https://letsencrypt.org/

astral fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 18, 2016

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

astral posted:

A few things are happening here:
  1. Forums javascript turns links to videos such as that one into embedded videos.
  2. You're browsing via https:, so requests to insecure content (like that video) are upgraded to a secure request.
  3. That webhost doesn't have a proper SSL configuration (their certificate is self-signed), so when the browser tries to request that video over a secure connection, the request fails and the resource isn't loaded.

None of that has anything to do with SALR, but hopefully this answers your question about what's going on. As a workaround you can browse via http:, but the real solution is either to rehost that video somewhere that has proper SSL support or encourage that webhost to properly support SSL. They can get a real certificate easily and free via https://letsencrypt.org/

I swear it was working for me before I'd installed SALR. Unless something else happened in the meantime and this is all one big coincidence.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rollofthedice posted:

I swear it was working for me before I'd installed SALR. Unless something else happened in the meantime and this is all one big coincidence.

The only difference is you'd get redirected to the secure version of the page after posting via quick reply, so you actually know it's breaking for people browsing via https: now. :shrug:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I hope it's kosher to post this here, and I think it may also be a candidate for integration into SALR:
I wrote a userscript that replaces page-bottom "member ads" that link to external sites with another ad from the list, that links to the forums. Basically I like seeing ads for other threads/subforums, but don't really care about those that link out. (One particular advertiser in particular prompted me to finally write this.)

Here's the script, I haven't tested it on anything other than my own installation, but would love to get some feedback.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 21, 2016

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

nielsm posted:

I hope it's kosher to post this here, and I think it may also be a candidate for integration into SALR:
I wrote a userscript that replaces page-bottom "member ads" that link to external sites with another ad from the list, that links to the forums. Basically I like seeing ads for other threads/subforums, but don't really care about those that link out. (One particular advertiser in particular prompted me to finally write this.)

Here's the script, I haven't tested it on anything other than my own installation, but would love to get some feedback.

As an occasional advertiser here on SA, I'm not quite a fan of your script, but as a user of Adblock I know I'm a total hypocrite about it (though I don't block the bottom banner ad).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ryanbruce posted:

As an occasional advertiser here on SA, I'm not quite a fan of your script, but as a user of Adblock I know I'm a total hypocrite about it (though I don't block the bottom banner ad).

I completely understand that.
My own ethics reasoning is that I have paid for the no-ads upgrade, which also gives me the control panel option to turn off member ads (bottom banners) entirely. So if I turn those off, or block only part of them, is the same in my eyes. I also don't attempt to block commercial advertisers, as long as the link goes to a thread on the forums and not an external site. That lets through some of the fitness program offers, web hosting offers, etc., which use SA Mart threads to advertise. (And note that my script actually also attempts to check the destination of shortened links, although only through bit.ly so far.)

So personally I think I still keep the spirit of member ads this way.

(Kindly don't use this script if you haven't purchased No-ads Upgrade.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nielsm posted:

I'd consider integrating something like that if there's an easy + reliable way to detect whether the user actually has no-ads, maybe a request to the account features page when activating it or something. Otherwise I'd worry about discouraging advertisers.

e: other than that it might be a decent feature proposal for the forums themselves as a no-ads option. I'll consult the forum overlords either way.

astral fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 22, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Anyone have any ideas for a better way of presenting the smilies for the quick reply window? The whole menu-that-extends-past-the-window thing doesn't really work in HTML.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

astral posted:

Anyone have any ideas for a better way of presenting the smilies for the quick reply window? The whole menu-that-extends-past-the-window thing doesn't really work in HTML.

The SA++ GreaseMonkey script I wrote allows you to search for smilies based on strings I'd manually tagged them with, and presents the results in an autocomplete with a max of 10 smilies. So there's no way of browsing all smilies, you just start typing words related to the one you want. For instance :smaug: (smaug) was tagged with 'Smaug Smug' (the title), 'smaug', 'dragon', 'smug', 'hobbit', and :evil: was tagged with 'It's catching on!', 'evil', 'evol', 'love', 'ron', 'paul', 'revolution', 'libertarian'. Searching for any of those tags will bring up that smiley in the autocomplete.

I think this works well as a UI because most people know what smiley they're after (even if they don't know the exact ID) so they can quickly type a related words to navigate to it. The downside of this approach is that someone has to manually tag all the smilies, and keep that database up-to-date when new ones are added.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
That would be a great way to do it. Would also be nice to have what color[s] they are.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
If you want to give my approach a try, install this GreaseMonkey script and navigate to the "Reply to thread" page, and you'll see a new auto-complete box "Enter smiley search terms" next to the "Smilies" + "BBcode" buttons on the form.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I haven't had a chance to look into it in detail yet (among other things, I've had to replace a failing power supply and a failing hard drive in the last week or so), but that sounds like a great approach. I envision it as the user would click the smilie button and a little box would overlay it with the smilie search UI.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So I had trouble with my SALR Redux Button extension for Chrome, and tried to reinstall this extension. However, when I tried to add it from the Chrome store, the button just says "checking..." and nothing happens. Is this normal?

Edit: Just noticed I posted this in the wrong place, sorry!

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Hey Astral, is there any way that SALR can eventually be integrated into PMs for those of us with Plat so that there's quick reply and live preview functionality in there as well, or is that an impossibility?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Hey Astral, is there any way that SALR can eventually be integrated into PMs for those of us with Plat so that there's quick reply and live preview functionality in there as well, or is that an impossibility?

Good idea! Added to the list.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I found the tab for ignored threads in the options, but no way to add them. How do I add threads to the ignore list?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I found the tab for ignored threads in the options, but no way to add them. How do I add threads to the ignore list?

Find a thread you want to ignore, right click on it, and you can use SALR's context menu to ignore that thread.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

astral posted:

Find a thread you want to ignore, right click on it, and you can use SALR's context menu to ignore that thread.

Thank you. Complete forgot about the context menu since I never used it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

uBlock Origin's latest update seems to be causing most of the buttons on SALR's page navigator to be hidden for me, just in case this is happening for anyone else too. Trying to figure out why.

Update: I've narrowed it down to uBlock's third-party blocking. Before yesterday it didn't block images from addons.

Update 2: I've confirmed this by reverting to uBlock Origin 1.7.4 - everything works as expected. Updating to 1.7.6 breaks it again.

Update 3: Still trying to figure out what exactly is causing it to be able to provide a reliable test case. Forum slowness isn't helping though.

Update 4: Looks like disabling "Hide placeholders for blocked elements" also stops them from being blocked. Weird. I'll try to look into it more later.

astral fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 24, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

astral posted:

Mostly Javascript. Contributions are welcome - I still need to write up something about how to get all set up with Node.js and Grunt Gulp to be able to build the extension, but for now I'll handle explaining that (and anything else about working on SALR) on a case by case basis.

I'm done with school (and TA-ing) now, so I'm definitely interested in contributing this button to SALR!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

I'm done with school (and TA-ing) now, so I'm definitely interested in contributing this button to SALR!

Great; the best place to discuss/coordinate this is probably on IRC. You can point your favorite IRC client at irc.synirc.net channel #salr or use one of those web-based clients like mibbit or kiwiirc.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Hey astral. I just noticed that the live preview window doesn't seem to catch the BB Code tags for preserving white space. numbered lists, and lettered lists when rendering:
pre:
T h e s e   s i l l y   t h i n g s.
  1. These
  2. silly
  3. things.
  1. These
  2. silly
  3. things.
Is support for those tags going to be somewhere in SALR's future updates?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Hey astral. I just noticed that the live preview window doesn't seem to catch the BB Code tags for preserving white space. numbered lists, and lettered lists when rendering:
pre:
T h e s e   s i l l y   t h i n g s.
  1. These
  2. silly
  3. things.
  1. These
  2. silly
  3. things.
Is support for those tags going to be somewhere in SALR's future updates?

Definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I've run into the occasional issue where images from other sites than imgur don't load. There is no box around them, I figure it has to do with inline loading but it's infrequent enough that I forget to try and fix it. Ideas of where to look?

• Locked thread