Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
That girl in the back looks cold. Also, perch,? I love fried perch but I only saw them on menus in Michigan. What state is this?

Gizzes lookin fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
One of the secrets of a good life is braving different foods

You ate bird guts and now you're happier and wiser.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

tardwrangler posted:

yeah :)
a feel-good thread for the whole family

how was the okra OP?????????????/

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
If you buy those whole roaster or fryer chickens they have the hearts, gizzards, and neck stuffed inside just like turkeys. After cooking the bird and stripping the meat off, you can make a really good chicken soup by boiling the bones for broth then adding them all back in along with whatever scraps were on the bones (typically richer parts of the chicken).

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

They're good

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're good OP, but I prefer livers.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Gizzards are real good but for deepfrying livers are better. I like gizzards browned and then cooked low for 4-5 hours with a little dry vermouth and a lot of garlic.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

amityville anus posted:

OP I want to just point out that if your chicken transaction doesn't take place through bulletproof glass/plexiglass you're not getting the true Harold's Chicken experience

Haha no doubt but I don't live in the absolute hood so I dont have any of those within walking distance

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I've always loved gizzards, but never ate hearts growing up. When I went to college, my roommate and I were planning out meals and he mentioned that he loved chicken hearts. I told him "I've never eaten hearts before. I love gizzards, though!" He told me "I don't think I've ever had a gizzard. Are they good?" "Yeah, they're great," I replied. "Well, hearts are delicious too," my roommate said. "I'll have to cook them for you some time." Then literally - not figuratively - later that day we went to the grocery store and saw a giant Value Pack of hearts and gizzards combined. Needless to say we pretty much had to buy it. We cooked them both that night and they were great, although I still preferred the gizzards and I suspect he still preferred the hearts.

Anyway, that's my gizzard story.

How did you cook them? I've heard hearts are pretty good when skewered and grilled. That's definitely something I wanna do this summer

King of Bees posted:

That girl in the back looks cold. Also, perch,? I love fried perch but I only saw them on menus in Michigan. What state is this?

Gizzes lookin fine.

Chicago Illinois so right bordering against Michigan. And yeah its cold af my thermometer says it's TWO loving degrees out. I'm gonna go to bed fully clothed

tardwrangler posted:

No joke i do feel accomplished. Next on the list: the fried livers

drat horror queefs posted:

yeah :)
a feel-good thread for the whole family

how was the okra OP?????????????/

Their okra is ALWAYS delicious. I'm no stranger to Harold's but I usually get the wings

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

sometimes i buy chicken livers from the meat counter because they're dirt cheap, packed full of nutrition and are deeeefuckinglicious

if you don't like organ meats you're bitch made hth

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
I will meet up and eat chicken gizzards with any Chicago goon. Hell we can even go to Hyde Park for the bulletproof glass experience

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

kazr posted:

sometimes i buy chicken livers from the meat counter because they're dirt cheap, packed full of nutrition and are deeeefuckinglicious

How do you cook them?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Only place worth getting gizzards is Harold's Chicken Shack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZqPmUtQs2Q

e: oh poo poo, didn't even bother reading past the op and of course he's talking about Harold's. That's how you know poo poo's for real.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 18, 2016

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

How do you cook them?

Egg em, slap flour on, fry em for a bit then bake. Or fry them with onions, or cook them with my scrambled eggs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kazr posted:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I've always loved gizzards, but never ate hearts growing up. When I went to college, my roommate and I were planning out meals and he mentioned that he loved chicken hearts. I told him "I've never eaten hearts before. I love gizzards, though!" He told me "I don't think I've ever had a gizzard. Are they good?" "Yeah, they're great," I replied. "Well, hearts are delicious too," my roommate said. "I'll have to cook them for you some time." Then literally - not figuratively - later that day we went to the grocery store and saw a giant Value Pack of hearts and gizzards combined. Needless to say we pretty much had to buy it. We cooked them both that night and they were great, although I still preferred the gizzards and I suspect he still preferred the hearts.

Anyway, that's my gizzard story.

i was enthralled by this riveting coming-of-age story. the quest for one simple boy's love of eating various kinds of bird flesh is one as old as time. i especially enjoyed the deep homoerotic undertones and the complex but very subtle biblical allegories.

stockpile some blow now, my friend - for when you win the newbery and this is selling in every scholastic book fair in the greater iowa area you are going to want to celebrate by mailing me a large quantity of drugs.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 18, 2016

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
whenever we deboned chickens in culinary school my french chef would say every loving time "save zee gizzards, zay are good....FOR YOUR CAT"

i dont eat gizzards but i do eat foie gras and i feel massive amounts of guilt when i do but it's so good

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

the great deceiver posted:

i dont eat gizzards but i do eat foie gras and i feel massive amounts of guilt when i do but it's so good
Isn't that poo poo illegal?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Isn't that poo poo illegal?

the loving california supreme court overturned the ban on foie gras last year. granted the way it is produced is horribly cruel but it was a very dumb law as there's like one producer of foie gras in the entire state.

it's not something i regularly eat because of price and ethical reasons. i had to learn to cook it however and occasionally i do eat it but like i said i feel guilty as hell. it's tasty tho, like rich mans bacon

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Are you saying it is illegal in California to fatten up a goose specifically to eat its liver?
WHY? There are like seven zillion things you'd think you'd wanna outlaw first.
But no. California says, "Foie gras? FoieGET about it."

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

I.C. posted:

Are you saying it is illegal in California to fatten up a goose specifically to eat its liver?
WHY? There are like seven zillion things you'd think you'd wanna outlaw first.
But no. California says, "Foie gras? FoieGET about it."

because of our retarded proposition system where we vote to do things like ban foie gras and regulate the size of chicken cages but refuse to raise the taxes on commercial property

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

because of our retarded proposition system where we vote to do things like ban foie gras and regulate the size of chicken cages but refuse to raise the taxes on commercial property

You have legal weed there but illegal goose liver. Man, what a world!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

no goose liver is legal now. it was only illegal for one year if that is any less retarded. actually it is probably more retarded

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

people would literally hold clandestine foie gras dinner parties right across the nevada stateline up in tahoe

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Foie is okay. I'd rather have gizzards nine times out of ten.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I had cousins visit the US for the first time and they wanted to try fancy stuff.

Foie was terrible. Stop abusing animals for your lovely over priced poo poo.
Caviar was meh.
Lobster is ok.
Wagyu and real Japanese Kobe was great.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

the loving california supreme court overturned the ban on foie gras last year. granted the way it is produced is horribly cruel but it was a very dumb law as there's like one producer of foie gras in the entire state.

it's not something i regularly eat because of price and ethical reasons. i had to learn to cook it however and occasionally i do eat it but like i said i feel guilty as hell. it's tasty tho, like rich mans bacon
I dunno, a ban on literally torturing an animal for it's whole life leading up to slaughter seems pretty reasonable to me. Like i know i know factory farming is p bad too but at least with regular meat there's no active requirement to make the animal suffer, it sorta just happens as a byproduct of poor regulation and capitalism. Things could improve on that front if we were either willing to raise meat prices or subsidize them, but you're never gonna have ethical foie gras.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
geese actually enjoy being overfed. like when the guy shows up with the funnel they all flock towards him to be first in line

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno, a ban on literally torturing an animal for it's whole life leading up to slaughter seems pretty reasonable to me. Like i know i know factory farming is p bad too but at least with regular meat there's no active requirement to make the animal suffer, it sorta just happens as a byproduct of poor regulation and capitalism. Things could improve on that front if we were either willing to raise meat prices or subsidize them, but you're never gonna have ethical foie gras.

i grew up on a small cattle ranch so believe me i despise large factory farming. the reason i thought the ban on foie was a bad law was that it was basically designed to target one single producer. it wasn't a law passed by the legislature it was a ballot proposition which means that if you can get enough signatures for whatever your pet issue is it will make it on to the ballot. it's abused pretty regularly in california and has led to some of the absolutely retarded mishmash of laws and regulations that we currently have.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

people would literally hold clandestine foie gras dinner parties right across the nevada stateline up in tahoe

Hookers and goose liver?

The freest state.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

I had cousins visit the US for the first time and they wanted to try fancy stuff.

Foie was terrible. Stop abusing animals for your lovely over priced poo poo.
Caviar was meh.
Lobster is ok.
Wagyu and real Japanese Kobe was great.

Hick loves beef fat news at 11

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

i have literally never eaten or cooked foie gras outside of culinary school so i would have no problem with a more well-thought out ban going through the proper channels that would hold up against the courts. that law was not it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

i grew up on a small cattle ranch so believe me i despise large factory farming. the reason i thought the ban on foie was a bad law was that it was basically designed to target one single producer. it wasn't a law passed by the legislature it was a ballot proposition which means that if you can get enough signatures for whatever your pet issue is it will make it on to the ballot. it's abused pretty regularly in california and has led to some of the absolutely retarded mishmash of laws and regulations that we currently have.
Thats cause there's only one producer of it in cali right? I dunno, it seems like a reasonable thing to ban to me. I guess i can sorta see your point of a system where the squeakiest wheel with the most time on it's hands gets to legislate morality being a bad thing, but this seems like a broken clock situation where they did come up with something worth banning.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Universe Master posted:

Hookers and goose liver?

The freest state.

also gambling and fully automatic machine guns. nevada isn't a state it's a road trip waiting to happen!!!!!!

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Sheep-Goats posted:

Hick loves beef fat news at 11

fish eggs are good

pulling an oyster out of the muck and cracking it open with a screwdriver to drink that salty nectar is the best thing

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Thats cause there's only one producer of it in cali right? I dunno, it seems like a reasonable thing to ban to me. I guess i can sorta see your point of a system where the squeakiest wheel with the most time on it's hands gets to legislate morality being a bad thing, but this seems like a broken clock situation where they did come up with something worth banning.

absolutely, i just think it was dumb that instead of going through the legislature they went through the proposition system and promptly had the law overturned by the courts. i can't imagine anyone in the legislature having a serious problem with that except for like maybe the rep from napa

spamlover
May 27, 2015

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

How do you cook them?

The dredged method of batter frying is pretty good, especially with gravy as mentioned earlier. However when I cook gizzards at home I prefer to fry them in a pan with a little olive oil, onions, and season them with curry powder. They pair well with saffron rice and roasted asparagus.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

King of Bees posted:

Gizzes lookin fine.

Harold's! Harold's is the poo poo. Best fried chicken in Chicago. You should have ordered a biscuit, they are the most unhealthy delicious thing you can put in your face.

Honestly everything from Harold's is great. You don't see them in the nicest parts of town, but why would you want to go the nicest part of town unless you're some kind of tourist or person who stayed here after graduation?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Honestly, some of the best food I've eaten is in areas that are like a ghetto. Best chicken philly I've eaten which was melt in mouth awesome was made by Ali at a Shell Station who also made his own aoili's and sauces. Serious. Same with tacos and mexican in Texas, at a place with iron bars on the windows and I was driving a Merc. I think the danger adds to the flavor.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The best chicken in all of Delaware is this fried chicken carryout place in a marginal area of Wilmington called Walt's Flavor Crisp Chicken. They have a huge leather couch where you can sprawl out and wait for your giant bag of delicious grease. Also you can get a monstrous paper goblet of their homemade sweet tea. I just checked and gizzards aren't on their menu, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
In my experience they're one of those foods that taste fine but are completely inedible. The texture of the ones I've tried were like squid, just really really chewy to the point where I struggled to eat them. By the time I chewed them up to the point I could swallow, they'd lost all flavor and it gradually dawned on me that I was basically eating chicken stomach tissue.

Chicken livers on the other hand are delicious. Just slather them with hot sauce, I could eat them all day for every meal.

• Locked thread