Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

We are loving over future generations by relying on machines to make things for us. Our great grandchildren probably won't know how to make sandwiches because the'll have bitchbots make them. Well, what happens when they get hit with an emp, huh, HUH?! They'll be helpless; like a domesticated dog that's known nothing but the food that comes from the hands of it's owner. They'll starve, all because they won't know how to do menial tasks themselves. Manufacturing is going to gently caress our future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
pity reply

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
The thread title intrigued me and i wanted to know more

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
you just gotta know how to run the machines its real easy but you can't gently caress it up too much

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

agreed, gently caress synths

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i read the op and i don't think i can remember a word of it maybe just the dimensions of the post (a little bet on the lengthy side), the title was what really drew me in maybe we can expand on that?

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
no one knows how to shoe horses or make dresses out of flour sacks anymore either

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

"Manufuckture" is the name of the sex club i opened in an old factory

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Enfield posted:

no one knows how to shoe horses or make dresses out of flour sacks anymore either

We wrote this poo poo down. We can pick it up again in less than a day.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Man U gently caress To Ur E

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how to make diesel

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I went to a biofuel convention with my dad and all these weirdos swear they ran their diesel engines on just cooking oil

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

ghostter posted:

i read the op and i don't think i can remember a word of it maybe just the dimensions of the post (a little bet on the lengthy side), the title was what really drew me in maybe we can expand on that?

Okay, we should have automated loving lines. Imagine people moving down a conveyor belt towards a hydraulic loving machine. Just imagine....

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Isaac posted:

I went to a biofuel convention with my dad and all these weirdos swear they ran their diesel engines on just cooking oil

Someone made a car that runs on mcdonald's grease

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
If the world ends i think diesel would be a pretty useful thing to be able to produce. Keep all he machines running with it so we dont have to learn to make stupid rear end horseshoes

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Isaac posted:

I haven't read much, but as I understand it, it's just a different viscosity and a different ignition temperature.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I liked the idea we had in the 50s when all cars would be nuclear powered, along with pretty much everything else.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Isaac posted:

If the world ends i think diesel would be a pretty useful thing to be able to produce. Keep all he machines running with it so we dont have to learn to make stupid rear end horseshoes

actually everythink will be steampunk and we'll have mechanical steam driven top hats and monocles

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I liked the idea we had in the 50s when all cars would be nuclear powered, along with pretty much everything else.

The proposed use for nuclear-powered ramjets would be to power a cruise missile, called SLAM, for Supersonic Low Altitude Missile. In order to reach ramjet speed, it would be launched from the ground by a cluster of conventional rocket boosters. Once it reached cruising altitude and was far away from populated areas, the nuclear reactor would be made critical. Since nuclear power gave it almost unlimited range, the missile could cruise in circles over the ocean until ordered "down to the deck" for its supersonic dash to targets in the Soviet Union. The SLAM as proposed would carry a payload of many nuclear weapons to be dropped on multiple targets, making the cruise missile into an unmanned bomber. After delivering all its warheads, the missile could then spend weeks flying over populated areas at low altitudes, causing tremendous ground damage with its shock wave. When it finally lost enough power to fly, and crash-landed, the engine would have a good chance of spewing deadly radiation for months to come.

:sigh:

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Increasing automation is resulting in an economy where the demand for labor stagnates while output rises. This will a create a permanent and ever growing subset of the population for whom gainful employment is not possible. The desicion must then be made to either ensure subsistence for every member of society or brutally suppress the unemployed until their population crashes.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Blue Train posted:

The proposed use for nuclear-powered ramjets would be to power a cruise missile, called SLAM, for Supersonic Low Altitude Missile. In order to reach ramjet speed, it would be launched from the ground by a cluster of conventional rocket boosters. Once it reached cruising altitude and was far away from populated areas, the nuclear reactor would be made critical. Since nuclear power gave it almost unlimited range, the missile could cruise in circles over the ocean until ordered "down to the deck" for its supersonic dash to targets in the Soviet Union. The SLAM as proposed would carry a payload of many nuclear weapons to be dropped on multiple targets, making the cruise missile into an unmanned bomber. After delivering all its warheads, the missile could then spend weeks flying over populated areas at low altitudes, causing tremendous ground damage with its shock wave. When it finally lost enough power to fly, and crash-landed, the engine would have a good chance of spewing deadly radiation for months to come.

:sigh:

Make America great again

oblique
Sep 20, 2001

Like me, they have no way to go but up.
shut up DaveSplitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

drat dude you don't even know, the trick is to make other lovely countries like china and india build everything and live in a permanent poisonous smog while we just sell eachother iphones and video games and accounting services and talk poo poo

• Locked thread