Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
http://myanimelist.net/anime/31163/Dimension_W

Official Synopsis:
In the year 2072, the world's energy problems seem solved by a network of cross-dimensional electric-field inductors—"coils"—that extract energy from a seemingly infinite source. That source is the W dimension, a fourth plane that exists beyond the X, Y, and Z dimensions.

In this world, unofficial "illegal" coils harness powers that the police can't hope to counter. Dealing with these coils is the job of coil-hating repo man Kyoma, whose run-in with the unique coil android Mira leads the two to form a reluctant partnership.

The basic rundown:
New form of seeming limitless engery has been made, oil is all but banned, and a bounty hunter is out to take down scum bags.

Characters:

Kyouma Mabuchi: This dude is like Spike from Cowboy bebop and Mugen from Samurai Champloo rolled in to one classy rear end dude. He basically is on the hunt for illegal users of energy coils, but also loves to fix up old cars that use gas.

Mira: Andriod/Robot who is wanting to help her "father" out by giving him coils. This causes the MC and Mira to meet.

Professor The "father" of Mira, he basically brought the world into limitless energy, regrets doing it and paid a high price for it.

Overall this show is lining up to be AOTS and you should watch it ESPECIALLY if you liked Giant Robo, because the anime gives some heavy undertones to it.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The cross ange of 2016????

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I am enjoying this show. It is stylish, and fun

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Namtab posted:

I have yet to see babies thrown in the trash or "karmic retribution". Your move

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You might put the blonde guy from New Tesla in the OP Dilbert, since he's gonna show up a lot to annoy Mabuchi

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Everything Burrito posted:

You might put the blonde guy from New Tesla in the OP Dilbert, since he's gonna show up a lot to annoy Mabuchi

Yeah watching Ep 2 right now probably going to update after I finish it, but drat this show is good

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Mira: This might get a little spoiler but you find it out in the first 5 minutes of Episode 1. Suspected Daughter of the scientist who brought infinite energy into the world based off mana from D.R.A.G.O.N.S, who was saved by being augmented after an attack on her fathers lab.

This is incorrect. She's a robot

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Droyer posted:

Correct just got to where they confirmed it, didn't realize EP 2 was out yet. EP 1 left off with some questions.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
missed opportunity for the ROBOTS thread tag imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mira, is cute

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Droyer posted:

She's a perfectly normal human girl. gosh!

Anyway, the show is fun and I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. The manga it's based on is by Yūji Iwahara, the same guy who did the original character designs for Darker Than Black, and also wrote one of the manga adaptations of that series.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I'll watch this I suppose.

Mubachi's combat style reminds me of attack on titan's 3d gear.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The manga also has some pretty cool design stuff in it it that got directly transferred into the anime like the schematic drawings and a lot of the ending animation.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I actually checked out the manga after the first episode. The translation was real bad and it stopped in the middle of an arc. One neat thing i noticed though was that they changed who won that robot fight sport in the first episode. In the manga the defending champion won but in the anime the challenger won instead.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Namtab posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Droyer posted:

I actually checked out the manga after the first episode. The translation was real bad and it stopped in the middle of an arc. One neat thing i noticed though was that they changed who won that robot fight sport in the first episode. In the manga the defending champion won but in the anime the challenger won instead.

Yen Press has the license and are looking to release it this summer. So, if the scans stay bad or get dropped there is hope on the horizon.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Yen Press has the license and are looking to release it this summer. So, if the scans stay bad or get dropped there is hope on the horizon.

last update was in august so

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Probably worth just getting it & reading the official version even if they keep (slowly) putting them out. It's still listed as an active project for that group but if the official volumes come out at any reasonable speed they'll catch up pretty quickly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Probably the slickest anime this season and the grotesquerie of the dimensional collapse came as one hell of a surprise.

Loser really is the best, though, and I hope he gets a lot of screen time.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Droyer posted:

I am enjoying this show. It is stylish, and fun

:yeah:

I loved every moment Loser was on screen, and Mira's pigeon moment was adorable. Someone's said it elsewhere, but I really hope this becomes a dad anime.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Everything Burrito posted:

The manga also has some pretty cool design stuff in it it that got directly transferred into the anime like the schematic drawings and a lot of the ending animation.

show us the robot catgirl rear end in the manga

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

pandaK posted:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What a poofy hat.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/CourageousEntireBull.webm

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yes you do Mira

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

pandaK posted:

The manga doesn't have quite as much rear end-focus that I remember although I was mostly looking at Mabuchi and probably didn't notice most of it. Mira has spent a good portion of the latest translated arc in a bath towel though.

Here's a cover, this is what I was talking about re: the ending

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I hope this show gets popular enough so that translators can pick up more chapters of the manga. We're only sitting at around 24 chapters currently translated last I checked on Kissmanga.

But yeah, show is cool and good. Loser owns so much.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I hope this show gets popular enough so that translators can pick up more chapters of the manga. We're only sitting at around 24 chapters currently translated last I checked on Kissmanga.

But yeah, show is cool and good. Loser owns so much.

If you wait a few month you can just buy it. :homebrew:

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Checked out the manga awhile back, and it was a rare instance where I thought "I'd like this better animated"

I was right, this show is good and I hope it gets at least 22 episodes.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

JD posted:

Checked out the manga awhile back, and it was a rare instance where I thought "I'd like this better animated"

I was right, this show is good and I hope it gets at least 22 episodes.

it's 12 episodes

JD
Jan 11, 2003

pandaK posted:

it's 12 episodes

24 then? I was also thinking of another season or OVAs etc

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Just gonna say that based on my fuzzy memory of electromagnetics and theoretical physics, this premise is both incredibly smart and incredibly dumb, and I dig that in my soft scifi.

Oh and the show is okay, too, I guess.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The PV looked neat and episode 1 had me going "okay, I'm interested." but ep2 was pretty dang rad. Definitely gonna stick with this one. N'thing that Loser owns.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mira owns

loser owns

this show... owns!!!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mordja posted:

Loser really is the best, though, and I hope he gets a lot of screen time.

From what I remember by being caught up on what's released of the manga so far, NOPE. Not at all.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mira was very cute this episode

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
i kinda figured they'd skip this arc since it seemed kind of unimportant, but maybe the social things introduced here matter later down the line.

Edit: now that i've finished the episode, it looks like they did in fact skip most of that story arc and went right to the one that the manga translation is still on.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 24, 2016

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It is good because it strikes the balance between cutesy and body horror, and it strikes it dead on.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mira is weapons grade adorable, in addition to just being weapons grade.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mira is very good, Loser is very good, the little children who play in the junkyard are very good, the rusty trailer that Mira lives in is very good, the gas station is very good, and Kyoma's car is :krad:

What I'm saying is, the show is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Droyer posted:

Mira was very cute this episode

That'll be every episode.

• Locked thread