Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Bmw are quite fond of liquid cooled alternators too. And let's not forget their computer controlled thermostat malarkey and the plastic electric water pumps that fail with depressing regularity and the hydraulic lifters that somehow airlock if you don't thrash the car enough.

And a "replace the battery at each oil change" fuel economy fuckup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

buttcrackmenace posted:

Jaw hit desk at vacuum actuated hydraulic motor mounts

Jesus.

A lot of Accords have these, doesn't seem that bloody-minded compared to some things on that list. :v:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Oh man, the W8 wagon! The coolest, most ridiculous wagon since the Colony Park went out of production.

I've had a 04 V6 AWD Passat wagon since new. Mostly highway miles on it and aside from regular maintenance*, two literal fender benders of the car being hit while parked, and the alternator dying while I was 500 miles from home last summer, I've never had any trouble with it. I have the paper Bentley manual that has all the insane wiring diagrams, if you need something I'll be happy to scan the relevant pages for you. If you have the AWD and notice a weird one-time shudder at part throttle and low speed while going up a medium incline (like, say, after a stop light on an uphill road, or on entering a parking garage), that is 'normal' as far as I can tell.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, and the Golf. The wagon is a dynamite highway cruiser, although maybe the milage leaves something to be desired compared to newer direct-injection cars.

- flushing the transmission, replacing the timing and pcv 'consumables', at 80k miles, all of which require removing the front bumper and specialty tools that I do not have
- changing the headlight bulbs, all of which require removing the front bumper and specialty tools that I do not have (tiny tiny tiny hands)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

buttcrackmenace posted:

Jaw hit desk at vacuum actuated hydraulic motor mounts

More common than you think. I know Honda has used them since the 90s on the Accord, and a lot of Toyota 1MZ-FEs got them too.

Elmnt80 posted:

Caddy also experimented with a water cooled alternator on one of their engines in the late 90s to early 2000s.

Tell me who you trust less with that poo poo, caddy or vw?

A bit longer than that - they started in 1992, if I remember right (Northstar engine family). The Northstar was used all the way up until 2010, but I have no idea if they ever got away from a water cooled alternator in that time.

edit: huh, a bit of digging shows it was 98-00 only

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 22, 2016

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My old sts had an air cooled alternator. I think it was on select models though

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

More common than you think. I know Honda has used them since the 90s on the Accord, and a lot of Toyota 1MZ-FEs got them too

Liquid motor mounts are pretty popular (Subaru insists on using them even though they are useless and burst - a much worse vibration than just worn rubber would be).

I doubt anyone other than the Germans has thought to make an adjustable, vacuum actuated hydraulic motor mount though.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Liquid motor mounts are pretty popular (Subaru insists on using them even though they are useless and burst - a much worse vibration than just worn rubber would be).

I doubt anyone other than the Germans has thought to make an adjustable, vacuum actuated hydraulic motor mount though.

Honda have used active motor mounts https://www.hondarandd.jp/point.php?pid=73&lang=en but theirs are electrohydraulic not vacuum hydraulic

It's used as a part of their Variable Cylinder Management thing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Cylinder_Management) that lets them run a V6 as a V4 or a V3. Active damping on the motor mounts stops the engine from jumping all over the place in 4cyl and 3cyl mode

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The W8. It is in the garage. The W8 is pretty :swoon:

This was a bit of a bummer. This is the wheel that had been on the side of the collision and it appears to have a bit of a bimp. I took the wagon up to ~85 on the freeway and there was a slight rumble, it might be this, it might not.

:science: REVEAL YOUR SECRETS :science:

mmhmm.

okay.

ohhhhhkayyyyyyyyy. Bit of work to do. Seems the heater doesn't work when it gets REALLY COLD outside and these codes may provide me with a bit of insight. Regarding the rest of the car, I've never driven a high-performance automobile, and the last 8-cylinder vehicle I drove was the 301 in my 1981 Oldsmobile 98. This station wagon hauls. rear end. Never before and possibly never again will I be so confident of putting the hammer down and passing every dumb rear end in a top hat on the road in something so understated you wouldn't believe it if you weren't there. Full-time 4-wheel drive, sticks to the road, goes real quick. This thing is awesome. It ticks the practicality, comfort, and excitement boxes. I am mounting a strong case on both sides of the "should I keep it" argument. Pops did a knock-out job on the body panel work and it looks brand new. After a few months of tracking down electrical gremlins, there'd be no surprise that I couldn't wait to get rid of this thing. Honeymoon's still on, though. We'll see how she manages. I have a free evening tomorrow so research is a-go.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Those latter two codes refer to the heater circuits in the O2 sensor(s), which have nothing to do with climate control.

A narrowband (and probably wideband too) O2 sensor only works within a very narrow temperature range, so in order to make sure that they work quickly after a cold start the car runs the heater circuit on the O2 sensor to pre-warm the reactory bit so it can get to operating temperature faster.

If you are chucking that code generally it means one of two things:
  • O2 sensor is fuckered and needs replacement
  • O2 sensor wiring is fuckered and needs heroism
P0161 usually indicates an open circuit on the heater. If you park the OBD2 reader in one of the modes that give you live O2 sensor readings - once the car is up to temp, of course - it should help you figure out whether or not it is the heater specifically or the common ground wire.

Since Bank 2/Sensor 2 is probably the post-cat O2 sensor, I would be tempted to multimeter the harness before you get into high speed parts swapping mode. The post-cat sensor in pretty much every car has a mile of wiring in front of it; plenty of opportunities to get severed by an exhaust heat shield or caught in a spinning bit of some kind. It would be bad to spend a hundo-plus on a new sensor before figuring out that twelve cents of wiring and solder would have fixed it.

If the O2 sensor has never been replaced in the car's lifetime I would assume it is the sensor. O2 sensors are a lot like spark plugs - as they age they start getting squirrelly rather than dying altogether. Usually the heater circuit failing is your first indication of a near-dead O2 sensor.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 25, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

scuz posted:

It ticks the practicality,

Wait, stop there.

Also wtf is a thermostat heater circuit? Do I want to know? Did VAG design some crazy poo poo that doesn't need to exist?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

scuz posted:

I am mounting a strong case on both sides of the "should I keep it" argument.

Well then don't ever listen to youtube videos of straight pipe W8 motors....

(here are some youtube videos of straight pipe W8 motors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ZGUcWKuhQ&t=90s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoFPHOAzOMU&t=158s

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 25, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

literally a fish posted:

Honda have used active motor mounts https://www.hondarandd.jp/point.php?pid=73&lang=en but theirs are electrohydraulic not vacuum hydraulic

It's used as a part of their Variable Cylinder Management thing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Cylinder_Management) that lets them run a V6 as a V4 or a V3. Active damping on the motor mounts stops the engine from jumping all over the place in 4cyl and 3cyl mode

They used them on the plain jane 4 cylinder Accord too, but only on the automatic - and definitely since at least 1998.

Not sure if it was only the USDM Accord or the global Accord (which was sold here as the Acura TSX). And they're vacuum operated, not electric, on the 98-02.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
SSS is right... I knew the "check engine light on because of hvac system" thing seemed a little weird/fishy/too bad to be true/too good to be true.

Good luck, hope it doesn't involve pulling the engine?

stump
Jan 19, 2006

That o2 sensor info is handy SSS, I just passed my wife's Vauxhall corsa on to my mum and it's giving that code.

This thread made me chuck w8 into the eBay UK for a laugh, just to see if any were going cheap enough to make up for the litany of potential problems. I found this gem.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/111884659989

quote:

this is a veary nice car
valkswagen passat w8 estat with six speed manual gear box
drives lovely i have ownd it for 12 moths and now need a 4x4as im moving
and need a off road car ,i do not have enny service histery
the mils tiy up with the mots for the larst 4 years
i dun a full services 700 mils a go
it had 2 new continental tyres fitted to the front 300 mils a go
it was registerd as a cat d in 2009
slight dent in n/s/r wheel arch and petrol flap missing
cash on pik up

:unsmigghh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Wait, stop there.

Also wtf is a thermostat heater circuit? Do I want to know? Did VAG design some crazy poo poo that doesn't need to exist?

Some modern cars, and I'm aware of both VAG and BMW products that do this, have electronically controlled thermostats.

The car can run at a higher water temperature when cruising and cooler when pinning it. The ECU achieves this by goosing an old school wax thermostat with an electric heater element.

I guess the idea is that combustion works better (higher efficiency) the closer you get to a 230F temperature but you need to also drop that temperature to prevent detonation under big throttle events. Probably also some cold-start benefits?

http://www.counterman.com/electrically-assisted-thermostat-smarter-way-greater-engine-efficiency/

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 25, 2016

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
So yet again more german engineering in which we combine water with electricity? I see no problems here!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So I went looking on the internet for info on W8 O2 sensor changing and found this gem of a thread. I can't look away. The OP is an insufferable oval office AND a retard, and has no idea what he is doing. Some of the other posters are no better, some are smart though.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/325957-2003-passat-w8-running-rough-throwing-up-codes-again.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

So I went looking on the internet for info on W8 O2 sensor changing and found this gem of a thread. I can't look away. The OP is an insufferable oval office AND a retard, and has no idea what he is doing. Some of the other posters are no better, some are smart though.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/325957-2003-passat-w8-running-rough-throwing-up-codes-again.html

Holy poo poo the resolution to that. loving :lol:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Those latter two codes refer to the heater circuits in the O2 sensor(s), which have nothing to do with climate control.

A narrowband (and probably wideband too) O2 sensor only works within a very narrow temperature range, so in order to make sure that they work quickly after a cold start the car runs the heater circuit on the O2 sensor to pre-warm the reactory bit so it can get to operating temperature faster.

If you are chucking that code generally it means one of two things:
  • O2 sensor is fuckered and needs replacement
  • O2 sensor wiring is fuckered and needs heroism
P0161 usually indicates an open circuit on the heater. If you park the OBD2 reader in one of the modes that give you live O2 sensor readings - once the car is up to temp, of course - it should help you figure out whether or not it is the heater specifically or the common ground wire.

Since Bank 2/Sensor 2 is probably the post-cat O2 sensor, I would be tempted to multimeter the harness before you get into high speed parts swapping mode. The post-cat sensor in pretty much every car has a mile of wiring in front of it; plenty of opportunities to get severed by an exhaust heat shield or caught in a spinning bit of some kind. It would be bad to spend a hundo-plus on a new sensor before figuring out that twelve cents of wiring and solder would have fixed it.

If the O2 sensor has never been replaced in the car's lifetime I would assume it is the sensor. O2 sensors are a lot like spark plugs - as they age they start getting squirrelly rather than dying altogether. Usually the heater circuit failing is your first indication of a near-dead O2 sensor.
The O2 sensors in the vehicle have never been replaced and it's got 153,000 miles on so that's a swell place to start. The thermostat heater control circuit may kinda piss me off. Dad replaced the thermostat not too long ago so something may have been missed when he was reconnecting it? Does that make sense? I have to get my mitts on a wiring diagram soon, otherwise I'll probably wind up making more problems for myself.

LloydDobler posted:

Well then don't ever listen to youtube videos of straight pipe W8 motors....

(here are some youtube videos of straight pipe W8 motors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ZGUcWKuhQ&t=90s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoFPHOAzOMU&t=158s
:getin: In all honesty, there's no way I'd be able to keep this thing, much as I'd like to. I'm trying to get a carfax report on the thing to see what's been done to it, but that's gonna be a stretch. I know what pops has done, but I'm thinking things like tie rod ends and those sorts of things haven't been done on this car in well forever.

stump posted:

That o2 sensor info is handy SSS, I just passed my wife's Vauxhall corsa on to my mum and it's giving that code.

This thread made me chuck w8 into the eBay UK for a laugh, just to see if any were going cheap enough to make up for the litany of potential problems. I found this gem.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/111884659989

:unsmigghh:
Holy cow. 53k miles? If you're able to resist buying it, awesome, not sure I'd be able to.

kastein posted:

SSS is right... I knew the "check engine light on because of hvac system" thing seemed a little weird/fishy/too bad to be true/too good to be true.

Good luck, hope it doesn't involve pulling the engine?
In the back of my head I didn't believe my dad when he was talking about that, either. I read somewhere that in order to get to the O2 sensors, you DO need to pull the engine, but the link that kastein posted with the oval office-y fellow's problems suggests that I don't have to. We'll see! :ohdear:

kastein posted:

The folks over at http://www.w8forum.dk/ seem more domesticated/civilized.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 25, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

scuz posted:

I read somewhere that in order to get to the O2 sensors, you DO need to pull the engine.

Did VW build this car to see just how far they could go before their fanboys would abandon them?

If they're tucked that far inside, I would replace the sensors and trace the harness back. Chances are someone pushed the wires off some retaining clip over the years and the harness has rubbed against a heat shield.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Did VW build this car to see just how far they could go before their fanboys would abandon them?

If they're tucked that far inside, I would replace the sensors and trace the harness back. Chances are someone pushed the wires off some retaining clip over the years and the harness has rubbed against a heat shield.
Well the dude that kastein linked to seems to thing differently about the removing-the-engine bit with the O2 sensors. As dopey as that guy is, that bit of info may have saved me a considerable amount of work.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I noticed on the drive home (~40 or so highway miles) that the steering is a bit clunky, much like the steering was on the Golf before I replaced the tie rod ends and the suspension etc. A small victory: that poo poo isn't any more expensive than the Golf's! Unless I want it to be! I might!

bennyfactor posted:

Oh man, the W8 wagon! The coolest, most ridiculous wagon since the Colony Park went out of production.

I've had a 04 V6 AWD Passat wagon since new. Mostly highway miles on it and aside from regular maintenance*, two literal fender benders of the car being hit while parked, and the alternator dying while I was 500 miles from home last summer, I've never had any trouble with it. I have the paper Bentley manual that has all the insane wiring diagrams, if you need something I'll be happy to scan the relevant pages for you. If you have the AWD and notice a weird one-time shudder at part throttle and low speed while going up a medium incline (like, say, after a stop light on an uphill road, or on entering a parking garage), that is 'normal' as far as I can tell.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, and the Golf. The wagon is a dynamite highway cruiser, although maybe the milage leaves something to be desired compared to newer direct-injection cars.

- flushing the transmission, replacing the timing and pcv 'consumables', at 80k miles, all of which require removing the front bumper and specialty tools that I do not have
- changing the headlight bulbs, all of which require removing the front bumper and specialty tools that I do not have (tiny tiny tiny hands)
Dang, missed this post somehow. If you've got wiring diagrams or any kind of blow-out schematics for the W8's O2 sensors, I'd love to have 'em! Is the Bentley manual pretty good for the W8 or does it have just like a few pages devoted to it?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
If its like the second gen A8s you'd probably have to atleast tilt the engine to get at the O2 sensors.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

scuz posted:

Well the dude that kastein linked to seems to thing differently about the removing-the-engine bit with the O2 sensors. As dopey as that guy is, that bit of info may have saved me a considerable amount of work.

I'm hoping the same, for your sake, but remember he lives in florida (:lol:) and you're in minnesota as I recall. Rustbelt may kick your rear end on this one, I dunno.

Seems like a really cool engine, so I'm glad you want to save it. Just afraid it may gently caress you over for your efforts... good luck!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I'm hoping the same, for your sake, but remember he lives in florida (:lol:) and you're in minnesota as I recall. Rustbelt may kick your rear end on this one, I dunno.

Seems like a really cool engine, so I'm glad you want to save it. Just afraid it may gently caress you over for your efforts... good luck!
A cursory check over the body in the dark revealed no body rust and it's been off the roads for the last few years. I haven't checked the underside, so there's probably plenty of crap down there.

Something else pops told me: he suspects that the POs didn't use premium fuel in the W8 so he's been running his own brand on homemade SeaFoam through it ever other fill-up. It's got like marvel mystery oil, fuel injector cleaner, and like three other weird things that he mixes up in half-gallon mason jars. I'd love to be able to get this thing back to running as tip-top as it could, but it might be out of my benefactor's pay range. Or he might just not care, who knows.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well we might know why the O2 sensors and/or cats aren't functioning correctly now...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yep :smith: If I pull the sensors and they're all gunked-up, is there a way to clean them that isn't completely asinine? It'd be temporary in any case. If I clean them and check them after like three thousand miles or something and they're still clean, awesome, I'll just get new ones and call it a day. If they get re-gunked, I'll be up a motherfuckin creek.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If anything in his mystery skookum choocher mix had metals in it, like zinc (ZDDP additive...) or lead (tetraethyl lead in old leaded gas) or possibly other metals, it probably poisoned the converters or sensors. If not, it may have just gooped them up and driving it like you stole it will clear any residue off well enough.

I'd give it an italian tuneup after getting the maybe-contaminated fuel out, then see how it acts.

E: they are heater circuit codes not o2 function codes, so this may not help, but it can't really hurt.

E2: if SSS is right and those are downstreams check the wiring, throw new sensors in, and see what happens. If they fight you coming out run an m18x1.5 tap through the bungs and blast clean with brakleen before installing new sensors.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 25, 2016

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

scuz posted:

A cursory check over the body in the dark revealed no body rust and it's been off the roads for the last few years. I haven't checked the underside, so there's probably plenty of crap down there.

Something else pops told me: he suspects that the POs didn't use premium fuel in the W8 so he's been running his own brand on homemade SeaFoam through it ever other fill-up. It's got like marvel mystery oil, fuel injector cleaner, and like three other weird things that he mixes up in half-gallon mason jars. I'd love to be able to get this thing back to running as tip-top as it could, but it might be out of my benefactor's pay range. Or he might just not care, who knows.

HAHAHA WHAT THE gently caress?

Seriously, the poo poo people do to their cars is loving amazing.

Good luck scuz.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeeeeeeeeeeah, I'm not gonna ask him for any of the special recipe whatever-the-fucks. I like the idea of an Italian tune-up so I'm gonna run the high-octane stuff and make sure to drive it like a maniac over extended periods of time. Love my pops, but he's a bit more of a mad tinkerer than scientist.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

"I should have gotten a mustang saleen."

Yup.

I'd rev the poo poo out of it to cook everything off, once you've got 94 octane in there, and everything is up to temp. Can't hurt (famous last words).

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 25, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
This Italian Tune-Up, how long until I should give up on burning all the junk out? I drove it ~65mph for a half hour or so last night on its way home, but it'd been sitting for at least a few weeks beforehand.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Road speed isn't what matters, engine RPM is. You need to be doing 65mph in like... third. For maybe 20 minutes. Or longer.

Personally I've never had that fix an O2 sensor for more than a couple months but hey that's plenty for your purposes

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

literally a fish posted:

Road speed isn't what matters, engine RPM is. You need to be doing 65mph in like... third. For maybe 20 minutes. Or longer.

Personally I've never had that fix an O2 sensor for more than a couple months but hey that's plenty for your purposes
It worked on my girlfriend's mom's Malibu. It acquired a similar problem cuz it had sat for months cuz she got laid off, we took it on a road trip to Florida, problem solved.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Get that thing nice and hot. Run it hard for awhile then do a long decel down a hill or something if you can. This can actually raise the catalyst temps higher than while driving since the added oxygen that the engine is pumping to the cats without fuel will add more heat to the reaction. I can't give the concrete chemistry (definitely not my strong suit) on it, but it works.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The last time the Germans tried an Italian tune up, it went bad for all involved.

But good luck!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
SITREP:
  • I have a new mantra: "Fix it and sell it." Whenever I am driving the Passat, I must recite this mantra.
  • Previously when the car was shut off after any amount of driving, the fan in the engine bay would remain running for about 10 minutes. After some spirited tooling around last night with the revs above 3k for ~15 or so, it no longer does this and the temp is reading where it should. I'm not sure whether the next bit has anything to do with it, and I haven't re-scanned it yet, buuuut
  • There's a power drain on the battery if the #37(?) fuse is left in. This is the fuse for the stereo system. I need to run experiments to determine whether this is connected to the fan in any way (I doubt it). If the #37 fuse is left in and the car isn't run for ~3 days or so, the battery doesn't have enough power to start the car.
  • The heated seats work well.
  • The suspension, I believe, could use a lot of work. It seems to ride a bit low and I hear clunk-y noises when going over potholes or bumps.
  • I'm gonna daily thing thing for the time being. It's already behaving better than it did on day one after the puttering around last night.
fix it and sell it, fix it and sell it, fix it and sell it, fix it and sell it, fix it and sell it, fix it and sell it

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

The Minnesota car scene definitely has a huge hard on for VAG, roughly equivalent to everyone's love for Subaru. And among wealthier types Volvo is big. Basically if you make an AWD wagon or sedan your brand will sell well in MN. I personally know a number of VW enthusiasts who generally make good purchasing decisions but who nonetheless might be tempted by something that silly.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
You've gotta be making GBS threads me. The W8 drive train just popped up on craigslist, with engine accessories. $400?! You loving betcha. Time to call the bank pops and tell him we've got parts to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Buying a second drivetrain to make changing the O2 sensors easier.

VWownership.txt

• Locked thread