Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Slavvy posted:

You got rid of the worst vw ever made and somehow you're....unhappy? I don't get it.

It'll be back. Getting rid of an early 00s VAG car isn't as simple as taking too long to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The only way to win is to not play?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I will be the last VAG owner standing!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I will be the last VAG owner standing!

This is like saying you'll be the last HIV victim standing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

This is like saying you'll be the last HIV victim standing.

AIDS is in style this season.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
You'll be the Magic Johnson of cheap, over complicated German cars

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

You'll be the Magic Johnson of cheap, over complicated German cars

I'll chase disease away with money?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

CommieGIR posted:

AIDS is in style this season.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CommieGIR posted:

I'll chase disease away with money?

Isn't that the gimmick of this car/thread?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

Isn't that the gimmick of this car/thread?
One of many! :buddy:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the fruits of casting wide nets when searching for things on craigslist: an engineless rabbit pickup. I have emailed the dude asking what he'd take for just the rabbit since I have no interest in that Audi. It's only a couple hours away and if I'm very, very lucky, he'll just want it gone so he can have his brush pile back. Money for these kinds of things is at an all-time low, so this one would get stuck in storage somewhere until I could take a run at it.

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 12, 2016

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Your link doesn't work for me but how could an engineless Rabbit ever be a bad idea?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Astonishing Wang posted:

Your link doesn't work for me but how could an engineless Rabbit ever be a bad idea?
I pasted an email in the URL tag :doh: Works now. Those stupid little Rabbit pickups have been my Moby Dick but instead of putting a spear into it and killing it I wanna swap in my 2.0L and make it live.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok that's pretty cool I gotta admit.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Ashby is way the hell out there alright. In my many years in the great state of Minnesota I've never been that far west. I'm not even sure it even exists...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Ashby is way the hell out there alright. In my many years in the great state of Minnesota I've never been that far west. I'm not even sure it even exists...
Once zooming out brought Alexandria into the picture I knew I'd be in for a bit of a trip. Not too bad, especially if the price is right :homebrew:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

There's a college kid that lives with his parents in an area near here. It's the same family that I bought a set of M-Parallel E39 rims from after they blew up their 540i.

He now has a W8 sedan. It's been sitting in the driveway without moving for a month. I wonder what NLA item failed? :ohdear:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

Once zooming out brought Alexandria into the picture I knew I'd be in for a bit of a trip. Not too bad, especially if the price is right :homebrew:

Yeah its not like its Thief River Falls or something. If you're looking for stuff that far out look in Duluth too. Stuff is usually cheaper up there than in the inflated Twin Cities market.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

meatpimp posted:

There's a college kid that lives with his parents in an area near here. It's the same family that I bought a set of M-Parallel E39 rims from after they blew up their 540i.

He now has a W8 sedan. It's been sitting in the driveway without moving for a month. I wonder what NLA item failed? :ohdear:

Please buy them a forums account.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

scuz posted:

One of many! :buddy:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the fruits of casting wide nets when searching for things on craigslist: an engineless rabbit pickup. I have emailed the dude asking what he'd take for just the rabbit since I have no interest in that Audi. It's only a couple hours away and if I'm very, very lucky, he'll just want it gone so he can have his brush pile back. Money for these kinds of things is at an all-time low, so this one would get stuck in storage somewhere until I could take a run at it.

That strut tower rust is a bit scary but otherwise not too rough looking for a northern caddy

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

That strut tower rust is a bit scary but otherwise not too rough looking for a northern caddy
Not too rough at all! Something that a Rabbit pickup will be teaching me, whether it's this one or another one down the line, is how to repair rotten cars using fabrication. Those pickups are prone to rusted-out strut towers, as far as I know, so I'd at least get to cut my teeth on those things. Possibly in a literal sense depending on the quality of the welds I produce!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It might be that the rabbit is fully hosed, but you'd have to go look at it to know I guess. It could be that the truck had a good motor but nothing else worked so they took the heart and left the rest. Doesn't look like it's been stored very well to me.

So you should do it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Astonishing Wang posted:

It might be that the rabbit is fully hosed, but you'd have to go look at it to know I guess. It could be that the truck had a good motor but nothing else worked so they took the heart and left the rest. Doesn't look like it's been stored very well to me.

So you should do it.
:getin:

I found this gem of a website, called the Rusty Rabbit and it is my favorite new place out of any of the internet tubes. YOU WILL LEARN, AND I WILL MAKE YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Wow, I drive through Ashby a few times every year! My family has a vacation home up that way. Really nice part of MN!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pops is coming by this weekend to do an exchange. He's removing the W8 station wagon from my garage and leaving a Northern Industrial Flux Core 125 welder in its place as a thank you for babysitting his VAG money hole. This changes everything. Never done any welding before in my life so I can't wait to get started.

edit: link to welder

scuz fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 17, 2016

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

scuz posted:

Pops is coming by this weekend to do an exchange. He's removing the W8 station wagon from my garage and leaving a Northern Industrial Flux Core 125 welder in its place as a thank you for babysitting his VAG money hole. This changes everything. Never done any welding before in my life so I can't wait to get started.

edit: link to welder

I'm coming over so we can play weld poo poo together. It's the best game.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
New tool daaaaay!!

14" sold his air compressor and it was so bad-rear end that I decided I wanted one for myself. 10 minutes of craigslist spelunking later and I have this thing:

I get a big ol' grin every time I look at it. It's so drat cool.

Blow-off valve installed by the PPO

Been trying to figure out what "No. 7 Air Tank" would possibly be doing at the Minneapolis-Honeywell Regulator Company

"Comp. No." is hard to make out there, but it's 220. Not sure what that means. There's a small leak in the elbow fitting coming out of the top of the pump, which will hopefully be a quick fix. Also I'll be fabbing up some kind of scooter for it with my new welder since I'll need the creeper back. It's really amazing what they built back in the 50s. I don't think any home air compressors being built these days are expected to last until 2074.

TheFonz posted:

I'm coming over so we can play weld poo poo together. It's the best game.
:pervert:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those of you who have visited the "Post Awesome AI poo poo" thread in the last day or so may have noticed a small discussion that cropped up around this little guy:

This got me hot'n'bothered™ in the shorts area. My Golf is a swell candidate for such a conversion, the chief reason being that all of its suspension components were replaced about a year ago with all you see here (along with the front LCAs and all inner and outer tie-rods which are not pictured). The heavy-duty MOOG springs had the unanticipated result of raising the rear of the vehicle by around an inch, which has been a real treat when hauling around heavy equipment. This all adds up to "this is a relatively straight-forward thing that I can do to the car to make it more fun to drive especially in the winter," so away we go!

I've created these handy-dandy lists of things to do. Input appreciated.
  • Buy bigger tires (thinking Yoko Geolanders cuz those'll work with my stock 15" wheels)
  • Fender guards (if that's what those're called)
  • 1"-or-so lift kit (from either metalnerd or frankenbuilt
  • Cut the arches so's to bend em out
  • Get an alignment done (it just had one a few months back)
  • Fab a light/bumper bar and skid plate with new welder

Many thanks to SSS, InitialDave, and Powershift for perhaps unintentionally egging me on.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That is a thing of beauty. I wonder if it has any upwards suspension travel at all, though?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

scuz posted:

Those of you who have visited the "Post Awesome AI poo poo" thread in the last day or so may have noticed a small discussion that cropped up around this little guy:

This got me hot'n'bothered™ in the shorts area. My Golf is a swell candidate for such a conversion, the chief reason being that all of its suspension components were replaced about a year ago with all you see here (along with the front LCAs and all inner and outer tie-rods which are not pictured). The heavy-duty MOOG springs had the unanticipated result of raising the rear of the vehicle by around an inch, which has been a real treat when hauling around heavy equipment. This all adds up to "this is a relatively straight-forward thing that I can do to the car to make it more fun to drive especially in the winter," so away we go!

I've created these handy-dandy lists of things to do. Input appreciated.
  • Buy bigger tires (thinking Yoko Geolanders cuz those'll work with my stock 15" wheels)
  • Fender guards (if that's what those're called)
  • 1"-or-so lift kit (from either metalnerd or frankenbuilt
  • Cut the arches so's to bend em out
  • Get an alignment done (it just had one a few months back)
  • Fab a light/bumper bar and skid plate with new welder

Many thanks to SSS, InitialDave, and Powershift for perhaps unintentionally egging me on.

Do this. Definitely don't NOT do it. Once that's done, do this:

http://www.smythkitcars.com/

Last step is obviously an R32 swap.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh, this is happening. Mmm hmm. Oh yes.

Tire selection has shifted to these Goodyears cuz I'm not made of money (a set of Geolandars is $150 more).

Here's how she's sitting on this spectacular Minneapolis Friday morning:

Front clearance:

Rear clearance:

Those are all measured from the ground, obviously. For comparison, the red Rabbit pictured above is the product of this thread, and in the OP of that thread are pictures of the front and rear final ride heights. Off to a good start with just the parts I replaced only 7 thousand miles ago! The rear ride height is exactly the same as the un-stanced Rabbit! However now that I'm looking, I don't have a whole lot of material to jigsaw/angle grind/sawzall off of the front wheel arch.

edit: Realized that this will take care of those pesky rust spots on the front! :buddy:
son of edit: Going through that thread I am beginning to realize that he's done more work that just what's in the OP there (shoulda guessed). Looks like he had to modify the front LCAs to move the ball joint a few inches forward, but he's also not using the OEM wheels, which is something that I could totally get away with doing, so we'll just have to put everything on the car and see where we end up.

scuz fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 1, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
So! Keeping this stupid automotive diary out of the archives by bringing you some sizzlin'-hot band van news!

Eggvan (as it's colloquially known) decided to puke an enormous quantity of steaming mystery fluid on to the street by my friend's house. They suspected coolant because it was so hot, but the coolant level is perfect. As is the engine oil, washer fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, A/C refrigerant, and it even APPEARED as though the ATF was at the correct level. I fired it up, took it around the block, and the buster refused to shift out of first. It smelled acrid and gross when I parked it, so the E4OD is the culprit.

SITREP: I am awaiting a tow by the van. It's 95 degrees with 89% humidity. I am this close to limping it home in 1st gear and not touching the gas for the 2 mile trip home. It's been suggested by those wiser then myself that this is a boneheaded idea, so here I stand, posting.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
SITREP: ITFFM,BT

How I found 'er:

:smith: Yup, that's a lot of SOMETHING. Time to pop hood:

Hmm. This is the only thing that looked weird under the hood. The A/C still blew cold, I have no idea what that green stuff is aside from "it looks like coolant." Whatever. Got 'er towed and jammed it into the garage that's, frankly, far too small to be working on an E350. Dropped the transmission pan hoping for a quick fix aaaaaaand:

:smithicide: No obvious tears in the gasket and the trans is supposed to hold 4.5 gallons of ATF. That's like maybe 12oz (according to the beer can in the shot). Nothing spilled on the garage floor. Add these clues to the amount of ATF on the road and this thing had been running very low for a very long time. My dipstick reading skills are now suspect. Crawled around hoping to find a hose that went or something that doesn't require dropping the transmission and found this:

Yeah, I'm no professional, but it looks like I'm missing a gasket between the bellhousing(?) and adapter plate(?). I can't raise the van enough to drop the transmission to see why there's ATF in the bellhousing, so off to the shop it goes. It has an appointment for Wednesday, and my wallet is on suicide watch.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

scuz posted:

Yeah, I'm no professional, but it looks like I'm missing a gasket between the bellhousing(?) and adapter plate(?). I can't raise the van enough to drop the transmission to see why there's ATF in the bellhousing, so off to the shop it goes. It has an appointment for Wednesday, and my wallet is on suicide watch.

That's an inspection cover. No gasket. Looks like the input shaft seal's chooched.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah there's just air inside the bellhousing, other than the flexplate, torque converter, and the snout of the starter motor. The sheetmetal plate is just to keep road debris from blowing in there.

That being said if the fluid was pouring out of the bellhousing, your input seal went like Dagen H said, and/or other worse problems. Given the fact that it was driven till it wouldn't go out of first gear, who knows what's burnt up in that tranny.

I don't really like automatics... especially Ford and Chrysler ones. I might be biased, but there is just too much bullshit magic in there.

:v:

e: when "boredom" loses line pressure due to insufficient ATF, it can suffer all kinds of damage, including burnt up clutches and bands, destroyed bearings, etc.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dagen H posted:

That's an inspection cover. No gasket. Looks like the input shaft seal's chooched.
Well poo poo :( I can't get the truck up high enough to do anything about that, either. Good to know about the cover, etc (I like learnin).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You gotta drop the tranny to replace the input seal anyways, even assuming the rest of the transmission is 100% fine, which I somewhat doubt. So either way... it's gonna take work.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
If I had the space to do it, I would totally tackle an automatic trans rebuild or swapping a manual into it. I don't have the time/money/space, though :(

When do I get to move to the country and have a pole shed?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Just stick a 55 gallon drum of ATF in the rear, with a pump and hose hooked up to the dipstick tube. Whenever it starts shifting fucky, hit the pump until it shifts again.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

scuz posted:

:smith: Yup, that's a lot of SOMETHING. Time to pop hood:

Hmm. This is the only thing that looked weird under the hood. The A/C still blew cold, I have no idea what that green stuff is aside from "it looks like coolant." Whatever. Got 'er towed and jammed it into the garage that's, frankly, far too small to be working on an E350. Dropped the transmission pan hoping for a quick fix aaaaaaand:

The green stuff is likely leak detection dye. Looks green but glows like crazy under a black light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

I don't really like automatics... especially Ford and Chrysler ones. I might be biased, but there is just too much bullshit magic in there.

Oh, there's nothing magical about them. It's all just bullshit.

• Locked thread