Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I'll admit that my tastes lay primarily in VW's earlier offerings, I find the VR6 to be particularly abhorrent. But I do like the fact that there was a brief period where VW was shoehorning enormous engines into their offerings and this is probably one of my favorite ones. Godspeed man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

scuz posted:

Here's a photo of all the suspension equipment I put into the Golf:

Nothing is more VW then setting light to a pile of cash and putting nothing but the best suspension stuff in. I think when I worked it out I put close to $3k into my Scirocco's suspension. Thing is laughably stable on gravel snow and ice now but its probably worth exactly the same as what I paid for it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Yeah I did get top of the pile stuff and I also had to pay a shitload sourcing the lower spring perches that I threw out when I went to coilovers. To top it all off I did the alignment myself so the cornering is less then exceptional but holy poo poo does my car feel like its on rails while going over snowed out gravel roads, which is fairly impressive considering I'm pretty sure the chassis is bent at this point.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I dunno if this translates well to later golfs but the Mk1 platform responds incredibly well from disconnecting the front roll bar and running as thick a rear roll bar as possible. If you're going on gravel ditch the rear bar as well. I would guess that this setup doesn't work once they switched over to IRS.

And yeah me and my friend noticed how nice new suspension is when six hours into a TSD rally neither of us had slammed our heads into the roof going over bumps.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
If its like the second gen A8s you'd probably have to atleast tilt the engine to get at the O2 sensors.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Buying a second drivetrain to make changing the O2 sensors easier.

VWownership.txt

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Jesus loving Christ buy that thing immediately. That is the first pickup I've seen south of $5k that hasn't been raped to death by rust.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

I've been pining over that fucker for months. No idea how to make it happen; I've got exactly $3,538.65 left to pay off on the Golf :smithicide: I emailed the guy about a month ago asking whether he'd consider a trade, but haven't heard anything.

Just remembered it's tax season and we're first-time homebuyers. :homebrew:???

I feel your pain. I'm really trying to moonshot selling this condo and buying a house this year but its looking rough.

Fortunately I haven't financed any of my cars, I just now own three and a gokart that needs an engine rebuild and I only have one parking stall on a bad area of town :smithicide:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Mk1s are pretty reliable and put up with a ton of abuse. If you source a later JH engine from a Scirocco or cabriolet you're already eliminating most of the headaches you're going to have owning that thing.

Biggest thing with the pickup is the rear drums are 200mm where as every other mk1 is 180mm so sourcing parts for that is going to be a bitch.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Take note of how they literally need a whole empty warehouse to work on their W8. :v:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Get the Bentley, they are without a doubt the best manuals out there and often better than alot of factory service manuals I've seen. My only issue with them has been their wiring diagrams, and its pretty much "this could be organized better".

Also regarding the thermostat. See if you can cross reference the VAG part number and pull something from Bosch or maybe an Audi. You're working with the king of parts bin engineering I'd be shocked if that thermostat didn't turn up somewhere else.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

Oh, that engine wouldn't stay in it forever. Oh no. No no no no. Top Tier Choice would be finding a reasonable, non-W8 engine mated to a manual 4motion system but that's gonna be impossible to track down.

Go for the gold.

Drivetrain out of an Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Those things are basically Rabbits underneath. Which is why you should question scuz's sanity in thinking about trying to convert it to RWD.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Apparently I'm the only one who likes the Mk1s as a FWD :ohdear:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Did they reinforce the rear end of the caddy's? I'm struggling to think how you could even mount a diff back since there's no structural support from side to side on most Mk1s.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
That's better than most Mk1s but yeah I'd imagine you'd want some project blinky level amounts of reinforcement in there if you go to RWD.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Biggest thing that helped with my Scirocco was bushings and then making the front end of the car fully independent other than the axles. From there you can tune in more oversteer from a bigger rear sway bar.

If you're doing loose surface rallycross focus less on getting more power, you'll just spin the tires in 1wd. You want to look at a limited slip diff and that'll be the biggest bang for your buck.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

How do you mean with the "fully independent" bit there? I followed the rest of it well enough, though.

For your trouble, I found these teardrop/Sterling wheels on cl that oughta fit your 'rocco, if you're into that kinda thing. I think they look awesome :allears:

Fully independent means taking the sway bar and any sort of strut bracing off. It generally makes the front end feel a little freer and takes out alot of understeers. From there you can get a bigger rear bar to increase oversteer.

Everything is going to be a compromise with FWD racing, which is why I like it alot, it ends up being a puzzle. You could totally put in a huge front bar to just glue the front wheels to the ground to maximize the power you put down, but then its just going to plow through corners unless you make some compromises elsewhere. You've got to find a balance you're happy with, best thing I did with that car is buy a little cheap chinese alignment tool and play with the alignment myself then go out and take it through some gravel roads.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

literally a fish posted:

It was the wiring after all, then? :ohdear:

Wouldn't surprise me. I have an A8 wiring harness from 2003 that I use for spare connectors for the scirocco and my kart and the stuff is embarrassingly brittle.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
My dad talked me into buying am SVX and I'm fairly certain even now if I told him I was thinking of buying a W8 Passat he'd tell me to gently caress off and its never entering his garage.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Slavvy posted:

You got rid of the worst vw ever made and somehow you're....unhappy? I don't get it.

It'll be back. Getting rid of an early 00s VAG car isn't as simple as taking too long to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

215/75/15

:rip: scuz's power steering pump

• Locked thread