Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I just think that assuming it's a trapped-in-an-mmo setting just because you assume it's parroting a very small list of recent popular works is stupid, even if it's only at the wild speculation stage.

People have always been inspired by JRPGs when making LNs/anime. It just went from pen and paper to video games. It's one step removed from a setting like Slayers or Lodoss War, and that step is their techniques which we don't know the specifics of.

Reds fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kingtheninja posted:

Is this on hulu or CR?

It's on Hulu, but latest episode is behind the pay wall.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Reds posted:

I just think that trying to shoehorn in MMO stuff just because you assume it's parroting a very small list of recent popular works is stupid, even if it's only at the wild speculation stage.

Uh, I haven't seen any of that other stuff. It's literally listening to the words characters say in the show that might clue you in that this isn't quite a straight fantasy story

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Agronox posted:

Uh, I haven't seen any of that other stuff. It's literally listening to the words characters say in the show that might clue you in that this isn't quite a straight fantasy story

Well yeah, we know they all came from our own modern world but other than a single mention of the word "game" in the first episode, there's been nothing to suggest it's an MMO or some other VR trap or whatever. Think C.S. Lewis but with more amnesia and less Christian allegory.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

People seem to be using "MMO" as a shorthand to mean "the place they are in seems weird, and some of the weirdness seems gamelike". It seems like a strange thing to get hung up on.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

a kitten posted:

People seem to be using "MMO" as a shorthand to mean "the place they are in seems weird, and some of the weirdness seems gamelike". It seems like a strange thing to get hung up on.

I just think it being a VR MMO is really unlikely. Maybe I'm being over-dramatic about it.

Anyway, let's just appreciate how that combination arrow/magic attack was cool.

a kitten posted:

Someone make a webm or video or whatever with the Zelda "you got an item!" music when he holds up his new underpants.
tia

https://jii.moe/Vk-DvtAug.webm

Reds fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 25, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Woo! Thanks. :perfect:

Reds posted:

Anyway, let's just appreciate how that combination arrow/magic attack was cool.

Also, i want the Fattest Frog in the World to make another appearance.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

a kitten posted:

Also, i want the Fattest Frog in the World to make another appearance.

I get the feeling that some animal/s hanging out around them is going to be a regular occurrence.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
So in the next episode, Manatee pulls a griffith on everyone? Will Moguzo lose an arm.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I'm enjoying this, but I feel like every single episode so far has the same pacing issues. There's a somewhat brief action sequence in the first half of the episode, but the majority of the rest of the episode is mostly spent talking and wading in melancholy at their home base or in the town.

Not that I want each episode to be 100% non-stop action, but a little more wouldn't hurt. So far the series has barely explored or explained what each character is capable of, which is a shame because I think that the premise is really interesting.
Like I said, I'm also not sure why the action sequences are in the first half of the episodes - it feels like each episode loses steam and sort of mellows out halfway through, instead of ending with a bang.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

It looks like next episode will have something more of a "bang" based on the preview.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

So in the next episode, Manatee pulls a griffith on everyone? Will Moguzo lose an arm.

Christ, no. Shihoru's been through enough hell already without getting Casca'd.

Dunban posted:

I'm enjoying this, but I feel like every single episode so far has the same pacing issues. There's a somewhat brief action sequence in the first half of the episode, but the majority of the rest of the episode is mostly spent talking and wading in melancholy at their home base or in the town.

Not that I want each episode to be 100% non-stop action, but a little more wouldn't hurt. So far the series has barely explored or explained what each character is capable of, which is a shame because I think that the premise is really interesting.
Like I said, I'm also not sure why the action sequences are in the first half of the episodes - it feels like each episode loses steam and sort of mellows out halfway through, instead of ending with a bang.

I think you're missing much of the point of this show. This isn't like SAO, the story of people getting an opportunity to escape the mundane world and be 1337 badasses in a fantasy realm, it's about a bunch of ordinary kids trying to survive being thrown into an alien world, with combat being a shocking, brutal, and unfortunately necessary intrusion on their lives rather than something fun they do to look badass and powerful. Getting functional underwear and not starving to death is the conflict they have to overcome, not beating titanic bosses to earn a ticket to escape back home.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

That Japanese Anime From Japan You Like Is Totally Games, What You Like Is Games

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dunban posted:

Disagree, I think the pacing has been spot on, with a perfect juxtaposition of action and tactics and everyday dealings. I'm shocked at this show's ability to keep me engaged with fantastic visuals and nuance, even during the "slow" parts and the thematic re-treads.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Apparently the author's debut series finished at 27 books, and this is already at 6 volumes, so I'm not sure we'll ever see an ending for their story.

Won't the party balance be really screwed up if they lose their healer, by the way?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

They'll be hosed if the healer dies, and I'm hoping that this won't be devolving into a grimfest like that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well its called grimgar after all

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Darth Walrus posted:

Christ, no. Shihoru's been through enough hell already without getting Casca'd.

I think you're missing much of the point of this show. This isn't like SAO, the story of people getting an opportunity to escape the mundane world and be 1337 badasses in a fantasy realm, it's about a bunch of ordinary kids trying to survive being thrown into an alien world, with combat being a shocking, brutal, and unfortunately necessary intrusion on their lives rather than something fun they do to look badass and powerful. Getting functional underwear and not starving to death is the conflict they have to overcome, not beating titanic bosses to earn a ticket to escape back home.

I don't want this to turn into SAO 2.0, I just wanna see a bit more well-paced action. Seems like kind of waste to have such an interesting premise and (so far) not do much with one specific part of it that I personally find really interesting.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

They'll be hosed if the healer dies, and I'm hoping that this won't be devolving into a grimfest like that.

I haven't watched the latest episode so I don't know what's generating that speculation yet but if characters start dropping I'll be dropping the show. I want to watch them being bad adventurers, not dead adventurers.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

It'll be fine. They can meet a cheerful down on his luck necromancer at a nearby inn!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just watched the first episode. Loved it, and my wife thinks it's great, too. The background is just amazing to look at. This is a pretty good mystery, we were talking about where they might be, if it's a game, etc. But we're looking forward to seeing more. Have they said how long this is going for?

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

Just watched the first episode. Loved it, and my wife thinks it's great, too. The background is just amazing to look at. This is a pretty good mystery, we were talking about where they might be, if it's a game, etc. But we're looking forward to seeing more. Have they said how long this is going for?

Twelve episodes.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh man, I was hoping for 26 at least :(

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Gyra_Solune posted:

oh poo poo is healer dude really going to die

and right when i was about to ship him and the thief guy

i truly have lost all ability to ship straight couples

Thief mc is totally in love with the healer

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think they're all actually dead and this is some sort of purgatory/afterlife.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The biggest death flag for the healer is the fact that he is a male in their party other than the MC who one of the women party members is interested in. Having any of the major female characters be interested in anyone other than the MC is a state of affairs that simply can't be allowed to continue.

I was actually kind of relieved that the mage girl seems interested in the priest instead of the MC, so I'm worried that if the priest dies that will change.

As a side note, I really like the MC's voice actor in this. His voice sounds very natural compared to most male VAs.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

As a side note, I really like the MC's voice actor in this. His voice sounds very natural compared to most male VAs.

he's arata from chihayafuru and asahi from haikyuu, and shichika from katanagatari.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

he's arata from chihayafuru and shichika from katanagatari.

Ah, no wonder.
:swoon:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

arata is the worst chihayafuru guy

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I like him.

Even if I like Taichi a whole lot more.

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
Yeah I'm super into this. Echoing everybody else, I s really surprised by how good the animation and acting are. Not flashy at all. Just smooth detailed and natural feeling. Likewise with the pacing. Lamenting the short action scenes happening early in the episodes feels like missing the point. "Some poo poo happened this morning. It lasted all of a few seconds, but it was really intense, and it's taking the rest of the day just to feel normal again."

And as far as the whole "lol let's peep on the girls in the bath" and all the male gaze, it doesn't feel exploitative, (especially since the bath is entirely of screen), it's about how on top of all the other stresses in this new world, the sexual politics of 4 young men and 2 young women forced into shared living, and unrestricted by polite society, and how each individual handles it is a big deal, and could be a major point of contention. It's not at all trivialized, and only titillating as far as communicating what's going through the main characters mind.

Speaking of whom, seconding that I love his voice and delivery. I had to look him up and see what else he's done as soon as I finished the first episode (he's also Orga in IBO).

Really the more I watch this, the more I wonder why I watch so much anime. This show really makes other anime look bad. Like why doesn't everyone animate, and humanize their characters like this?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Ytlaya posted:

I was actually kind of relieved that the mage girl seems interested in the priest instead of the MC, so I'm worried that if the priest dies that will change.

there might literally be riots if she doesn't end up with archer girl in that scenario

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Pringleton posted:

Really the more I watch this, the more I wonder why I watch so much anime. This show really makes other anime look bad. Like why doesn't everyone animate, and humanize their characters like this?

It's pretty hard. And it's much easier to profitably do the same poo poo that works and that people seem to want.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I thought I liked SAO and Log Horizon. It turns out what I really like is interesting characters dealing with familiar RPG elements with an air of suspense or tension. Grimgar is delivering on the premise far better than any previous attempt.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

It's bugging me that ANN and MAL don't have the full staff list, because I really want to know who is doing the OST and while it's probably in the show's credits, I don't speak moon so I'm stuck waiting for somebody to update those.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Reds posted:

It's bugging me that ANN and MAL don't have the full staff list, because I really want to know who is doing the OST and while it's probably in the show's credits, I don't speak moon so I'm stuck waiting for somebody to update those.

Composer is credited as "(K)NoW_NAME:R・O・N" on Japanese Wikipedia, where R-O-N leads to this guy: http://myanimelist.net/people/11037/Ron

Edit: Digging some more, the "(K)NoW_NAME" part leads to http://knowname.jp/biography/ so maybe more people are involved, or the colon means it's just him this time.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 28, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Reds posted:

Speaking of the OST, I like all the background silence in this show. I find that it's easier to "immerse" yourself in a setting when all you hear is actual environments sounds (like birds chirping and what have you) without any music.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

darkgray posted:

Composer is credited as "(K)NoW_NAME:R・O・N" on Japanese Wikipedia, where R-O-N leads to this guy: http://myanimelist.net/people/11037/Ron

Edit: Digging some more, the "(K)NoW_NAME" part leads to http://knowname.jp/biography/ so maybe more people are involved, or the colon means it's just him this time.

No, that just refers to the OP song. The soundtrack for the show is credited with a producer, assistant producer, and director. I don't know if that refers to a composer anywhere though. Usually if a single person is responsible for the music, they're just credited under music (音楽).

From what I can tell it's:

Producer: Mikami Masataka (三上政高)
Asst. Producer: Isobekei Toshi? (It's 礒部慧利 in kanji)
Director: Satou Masaru (佐藤優), Kobayashi An (小林杏)

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 28, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

No, that just refers to the OP song. The soundtrack for the show is credited with a producer, assistant producer, and director. I don't know if that refers to a composer anywhere though. Usually if a single person is responsible for the music, they're just credited under music (音楽).

From what I can tell it's:

Producer: Mikami Masataka (三上政高)
Asst. Producer: Isobekei Toshi? (It's 礒部慧利 in kanji)
Director: Satou Masaru (佐藤優), Kobayashi An (小林杏)

He's credited for 音楽 in the show:

The OP is its own section, where he again gets credited for composition and arrangement.

Their twitter info also says they are doing the music, as does their news page where they call it the "BGM", and the anime website says they're in charge of 劇中音楽 which is usually considered the "soundtrack" as far as I can tell. Plus he's already done Aquarion Logos and Unlimited Fafnir, so it's not exactly out of the blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

darkgray posted:

He's credited for 音楽 in the show:

The OP is its own section, where he again gets credited for composition and arrangement.

Their twitter info also says they are doing the music, as does their news page where they call it the "BGM", and the anime website says they're in charge of 劇中音楽 which is usually considered the "soundtrack" as far as I can tell. Plus he's already done Aquarion Logos and Unlimited Fafnir, so it's not exactly out of the blue.

Oh you're right. I have no idea how my eyes missed that.

• Locked thread