Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Until your mage learns an AoE spell that turns any living creature in a 50 meter radius to ash or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think she was just choosing to use her melee skills because she isn't very good with the bow. But yeah, there might be some sort of tiered thing going on where they can choose whether to focus on a certain type of skill. Like, if Moguzo wanted to use a shield (not sure if warriors can use shields in this) he'd probably have a different set of skills to learn, but he wouldn't be choosing which skills within that set.

The show and LN (moreso the LN since it actually covers the MC going to his guild) seems to give the impression that they go to the guild and the guild says "okay, time to learn X, pay me __ silvers" and they do so, rather than it being the sort of thing where the characters are shopping for abilities. So they might be able to say "I want to focus more on melee stuff" or "I want to use X type of weapon", and the guild then chooses what skills to teach them based upon that.

edit: One impression I've had from everything I've read so far is that there's no good reason not to have a party consisting of one priest and everyone else as warriors. Like, why do you even need a death knight or mage when the warrior can one-shot stuff while having the benefit of plate armor. In a video game setting it makes sense to have a variety, since there's usually a trade-off between survivability and damage, but in this series if the warrior smashes your skull in with his bastard sword you still die.

Easy - having scouts, ranged firepower, and stealth is super important for keeping your party alive and safe in a world where all death is permanent. Yes, plate armour means you can take a hit, but it's better not to get hit at all.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
And presumably having a bigass sword and super tough plate armor costs more than that house they're renting.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

maybe they'll start going though healers like Spinal Tap does drummers

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty sure the characters do not choose what skills/spells to learn (with the exception of the mage choosing which element to focus on). They occasionally return to their respectively guilds and are taught certain abilities in a given order, and the skills they learn seem pretty reasonable. It wasn't Manato's abilities that were the problems, it was the way he used them (putting himself into danger and wasting his mana by healing any minor injuries his party got in the middle of a fight).

It's also common sense in a world where the warrior can't consistently "hold aggro" on all enemies to give the healer some self defense ability.

The Hunter was stated to have deliberately learned a close combat skill because of her lack of faith in her bow skills. I am guessing when going back to the guild they get a selection of abilities to choose from.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Actually, in the LN, going after the important goblin and his bodyguard was in part to acquire the plate armor the bodyguard was wearing for Moguzo. Contrary to depiction in the artwork of both the show and LN Moguzo also still has starting equipment, which for warriors is chain mail. It's actually somewhat of a plot point in the fight, as the bodyguard is able to concentrate far more on the attack than Moguzo can, relying on the full body protection plate offers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Could we tone down the "actually, in the LN..." posts unless people specifically ask about the LN? That's the kind of thing that ruins threads.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Clarste posted:

Could we tone down the "actually, in the LN..." posts unless people specifically ask about the LN? That's the kind of thing that ruins threads.

I was just about to try to derail this LN stuff/backseat gaming conversation with some cute fat frog fanart :) but the closest thing I could find was a Yume + some butterflies piece

:3:

Knorth fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 3, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Clarste posted:

Please.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Easy - having scouts, ranged firepower, and stealth is super important for keeping your party alive and safe in a world where all death is permanent. Yes, plate armour means you can take a hit, but it's better not to get hit at all.

Yeah I can definitely see how ranged damage might be useful against enemies that also have ranged attacks (or trying to reduce the number of enemies before starting a fight); I was kind of being biased towards the fact that almost none of the enemies they've encountered so far fit that bill (with one important obvious exception). I imagine more varied enemy types will necessitate the use of more varied strategies and abilities.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah I can definitely see how ranged damage might be useful against enemies that also have ranged attacks (or trying to reduce the number of enemies before starting a fight); I was kind of being biased towards the fact that almost none of the enemies they've encountered so far fit that bill (with one important obvious exception). I imagine more varied enemy types will necessitate the use of more varied strategies and abilities.

We've seen Shihoru and Yume kill goblins from across a street. That's automatically better than having to kill them when they've jumped on your chest and are trying to claw your face off. Similarly, being able to sneak up on a sleeping goblin drastically reduces your odds of getting a sword through your gut and/or having the little guy alert his friends.

Rondino
Mar 5, 2008
http://tohoanimationstore.com/shop/g/gTASG00081/

Already sold out :(

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
BD vol 1 bonus material you can't miss!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSILROF4GSY

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

:geno:

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And this, kids, is why you don't PUG.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Another good episode; heavy most of the way through, but it needed to be.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Just started watching recently, really enjoying the show. The artistic direction is lovely and the focus on the characters is very welcome.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I think I like this show a lot more now.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Exactly. You join a farm group, but it turns out to be a clear group.

Edit: Archer, what are you doing here?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mo_Steel posted:

Another good episode; heavy most of the way through, but it needed to be.

Yeah I liked how this episode was everyone realizing "oh poo poo, that actually happened" and dealing with what comes after

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I liked how this episode was everyone realizing "oh poo poo, that actually happened" and dealing with what comes after

God, it's so good.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Can someone who's actually good in Japanese enlighten what kind of role does Yume ending most of her sentences in "na"/"naa" have? Is it some sort of dialect or putting emphasis on something in the sentence?

Rondino
Mar 5, 2008
It's a dialect, kind of. It's not consistent with any real life dialects, but it sounds somewhat like kansai-ben.

That's how her voice actor described it, anyways. I don't know the exact properties of all the different Japanese dialects.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Of course Reiji is getting this treatment, he's voiced by Gilgamesh.

Hopefully they can get their team synergy back together next episode.

Reds fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 8, 2016

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Haru really ran the gauntlet of grief this episode, but good to see them coming to terms. :unsmith:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I just caught up on all the episodes up right now, it started out a bit slow and I'd appreciate more action, but I like that it's approaching this type of situation in a far more realistic way than most. The voice acting is really good too, my favorite little voice cameo was Alucard as the Elven priest. Kikkawa the drunk is the freaking best, Mary's second best. When Renji rolled up with the gold coin I was sure he was going to try to pay them not to associate with Mary anymore (since that kind of thing happens all the time), but nope he's just trying to help out kids who are in way over their head, which is also realistic.

I'm looking forward to seeing how romance develops as our heroes live together, fight together, and grieve together. Hunter x Thief is a fine start to this, I thought that was an adorable scene.

The Sandman posted:

The good thing about this show: A-1 Pictures obviously gave it the same animation team, scriptwriter and quality source material as they did for Shin Sekai Yori.
The bad thing about this show: They also obviously gave it the same budget.

I really like the tricks they're pulling given the limited budget. Kind of fuzzy watercolor-looking backgrounds, switching to still-frames after they bring Manato's body back, showing people doing stuff while playing music in the background (saves on the ol' VA budget), holding on the same animation frames for about 30 seconds after Manato is cremated. It seems like they cut corners whereever they could but did so in a smart way and tried to make low-budget minutes make sense for the story, and then used those savings to make what few fights there are look crisp and well-animated. I almost never notice low-budget animation unless it's painfully obvious, and when I do notice it I always have hated it, but for whatever reason it's really working with this series.

I'll definitely be checking out the LN's after the series is over too, at least the bits of Vol. 3 that are out there since I'll want to see what's next after the anime leaves off.

In many ways this seems like "Danmachi with heroes who really aren't good at fighting and with other heroes who are actually all pretty nice." I do worry about rear end in a top hat Volunteer Army member showing up down the line though, since as has been mentioned we've only seen one semi-psycho keeping everyone in line.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Darth Walrus posted:

I actually felt bad that Mary had to deal with their tactical nonsense. "Uh, no, actually I'm the healer and I'll stay in the back thanks" and "in what world does holding a staff imply I'm going to go up there and melee" and "no, I'm not going to waste my mana to overheal you" all seemed like reasonable stances. I'm sure in her mind she was thinking "jeez, these guys suck, no wonder they lost their last priest".

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad they're getting another chance to work with Mary next week, at least. i liked her a lot even though she and the crew had very different ideas of what a priest should do. i don't think it's weird to be on the front line, but saving heals for when they're necessary is something that they definitely weren't doing before (Ranta even thinks it's why Manato died).

i don't care so much about what Reiji's group is up to, but it would be nice to see Haruhiro and co interacting more outside the group (like with Kikkawa) after things settle down for them.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

also lol at haruhito becoming the next leader because thief leaders are almost universally a bad idea

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

also lol at haruhito becoming the next leader because thief leaders are almost universally a bad idea

Why is that? It doesn't seem like someone's class would have any bearing on their ability to make sound decisions and lead the party.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Haruhiro as a person has the makings of a good leader, doesn't matter what class he's in

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Why is that? It doesn't seem like someone's class would have any bearing on their ability to make sound decisions and lead the party.

Usually being a leader means you have to communicate with people around you in the thick of it, and a thief is usually trying to be stealthy and flanking enemies. Thats why leaders are usually tanky support classes. Its a mechanics issue.

Im strictly talking from a mechanics standpoint. The "outside of combat" leader (the person making the day to day decisions) can be anyone that can play the part, but in combat you want someone like I described.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 8, 2016

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i'm glad they're getting another chance to work with Mary next week, at least. i liked her a lot even though she and the crew had very different ideas of what a priest should do. i don't think it's weird to be on the front line, but saving heals for when they're necessary is something that they definitely weren't doing before (Ranta even thinks it's why Manato died).

I don't think their tactics were all that bad before - I had the impression that Manato stayed in melee most of the time to instantly heal any injuries, so that they could jump right back into fray instead of retreating. Could work, especially when the healer kicks rear end in close quarters as well. Ooooooonly it kinda falls apart when the enemy is smart enough to focus the healer, AND the retreat goes badly, AND you just heal too much. :v:
I think (and hope!) things will go better with Mary next time. Haruhiro seems like the type to see that Mary has a point - it's just that she does not give a gently caress for these losers, and with Ranta around, the two just got twice as aggressively annoying. (Clearly it's love.)

This is a really cool and relaxed show. Probably my top pick for the season. There's much less action than you'd expect, but what there is looks amazing. I'm perfectly happy with that, as long as we continue getting highlights like the intro fight, their first goblin murder or the disastrous retreat from the Competent Goblinstm.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

I actually felt bad that Mary had to deal with their tactical nonsense. "Uh, no, actually I'm the healer and I'll stay in the back thanks" and "in what world does holding a staff imply I'm going to go up there and melee" and "no, I'm not going to waste my mana to overheal you" all seemed like reasonable stances. I'm sure in her mind she was thinking "jeez, these guys suck, no wonder they lost their last priest".

Sure, but many healer classes have damaging skills they could be utilizing.

Then again, since they all only have like one skill a single cure is probably all she has.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 8, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I thought Haruhi-ro becoming a thief would help relieve the stress of not having money on the party, you know just randomly pickpocketing in the town or in the shops, then I realized this a jrpg thief case, where pilfering items off enemies is the point. Maybe it's another and I just don't know because I've never played an mmo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Torquemadras posted:

I don't think their tactics were all that bad before - I had the impression that Manato stayed in melee most of the time to instantly heal any injuries, so that they could jump right back into fray instead of retreating. Could work, especially when the healer kicks rear end in close quarters as well. Ooooooonly it kinda falls apart when the enemy is smart enough to focus the healer, AND the retreat goes badly, AND you just heal too much. :v:

Well, aside from the fact that many (if not most) enemies are apparently aware of the fact that they should focus on the healer, there's also the issue that Manato would heal any injury, even if it wasn't bad enough to affect the combat performance of the person in question. Manato's biggest mistake is that he cared too much about his party and as a result tried to prevent other party members from getting hurt as much as possible. Unfortunately, that behavior ends up being counterproductive in the end (since he's likely to end up dying).

Ka0 posted:

I thought Haruhi-ro becoming a thief would help relieve the stress of not having money on the party, you know just randomly pickpocketing in the town or in the shops, then I realized this a jrpg thief case, where pilfering items off enemies is the point. Maybe it's another and I just don't know because I've never played an mmo.

I don't really think Haruhiro will be using any kind of pickpocket skill, even if he learns one. I doubt he'd be willing to steal from other humans in the town (and doing so would also carry a MASSIVE risk, since if he's ever caught they're hosed since this is the only town they know of to live in), and stealing from monsters is kind of dumb since they can just loot all their stuff after killing them (as opposed to the strange jrpg logic where monsters will sometimes give unique stuff from stealing that they don't normally drop as loot).

It seems like thieves are mainly a scouting and battle support class in this. He mentioned learning to pick locks, but I imagine that's mostly intended for doors and that they won't be finding any unopened chests for a very long time.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 8, 2016

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Another good episode. I liked Mary's "of course this staff is more for decoration than busting skulls dumbass" speech. Maybe she'll be the mix-maxer this party so desperately needs. STOP DOING PUSHUPS MAGE, PLEASE READ A BOOK

Could've done without the cliche romantic misunderstanding scene, but it wasn't too bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Agronox posted:

Another good episode. I liked Mary's "of course this staff is more for decoration than busting skulls dumbass" speech. Maybe she'll be the mix-maxer this party so desperately needs. STOP DOING PUSHUPS MAGE, PLEASE READ A BOOK

Could've done without the cliche romantic misunderstanding scene, but it wasn't too bad.

One thing I'm happy they ignored from the LN is this dumb thing where (this spoiler is just for the most recent episode, not future content) Haruhiro, during the scene where he's hugging Yume, thinks to himself something along the lines of "this feels kinda good WAIT WHAT AM I THINKING OF HERP DERP." It was really bizarre and didn't fit the tone of the scene at all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Basically every change the LN readers have mentioned thus far has been the anime removing typical light-novel goonery, for which I am thankful. It's very easy to imagine how a different staff could have turned this into a far worse show.

Hell, now that's got me wondering what Heavy Object and Grimgar would have been like if they swapped staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

Basically every change the LN readers have mentioned thus far has been the anime removing typical light-novel goonery, for which I am thankful. It's very easy to imagine how a different staff could have turned this into a far worse show.

Hell, now that's got me wondering what Heavy Object and Grimgar would have been like if they swapped staff.

if you took the light novel goonery out of a thing by the Index guy, would you have anything left though?

• Locked thread