Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Where did you first hear about bats
I have only heard of bats in fables and outlandish rumors
I once saw a bat-shaped halloween decoration
my deviantart character incorporates many bat features such as rabies
this very thread has opened my eyes to the existence of the bat menace
my best friend was assaulted by bats you rear end in a top hat
bats have pursued me all my life
View Results

• Locked thread
ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Okay so millions of years ago some eutharian mammals figured out that they could make a fairly-decent living off of foraging for insects by developing echolocation and true flight powered by membranous wings, and it ended up working so well that they managed to spread their horrific offspring to pretty much every continent on Earth and ended up being nearly a quarter of the known mammalian species on the planet with substantially-different ecological niches and this is a thread about them.

BAT THREAD 2016

Long story short, bats are wonky-looking placental mammals (vaguely-related to shrews/whales/carnivores/pangolins by way of a common ancestor) that possess wings made from their grossly-misshapen forelimbs with an equally-gross skin membrane stretched across to achieve true flight. That's right, they just so happen to have the distinction of being the only real flying mammals; none of that "glide from treetop to treetop" bullshit that sugar gliders try to pull off.

Numbering in at roughly 1,200 distinct species, bats are divided up between two suborders: Microchiroptera, the microbats; and Megachiroptera, the megabats. Microbats tend to be small, echolocating insectivores while the megabats are typically larger, non-echolocating fruit-and-pollen munchers. There's more to it than that, but instead of making a giant effort post about it and the giant clusterfuck that is chiropteran phylogeny I'm just gonna regurgitate a Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat

The Hoary Bat, a filthy microchiropteran

The Hammer-headed Bat, a plebeian megachiropteran

CURRENT WHITE-NOSE SYNDROME STATUS: STILL poo poo; NEBRASKA'S GON' GET hosed (also RIP Missouri's brown bats they never scored)

Hope you guys on the east coast like mosquitoes

But enough of that, the real reason this thread is here is due to the fact that a large majority of bats are indescribably-adorable, and require documenting via youtubes and animated gifs. Case in point:

https://i.imgur.com/KOfDJZ8.webm

https://i.imgur.com/GccSoq9.webm

Heartless Australians forcibly-separate and traumatize bat families to sate their criminal urges: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8_GGgT5rA

Freeloading bat leeches bananas off hardworking taxpayers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUVXAsQe4I

Real, genuine facts about bats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_SjhcdF_J4

GBS, I need bat images to sustain my wretched existence, so gimmie your chiropteraniest images ITT. Also I guess I'll make some posts about individual cool bats if this thread doesn't die immedietely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I was thinking this morning I'd like a pet bat, major coincidence this thread happened today. Voting thread 4

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I went to my friend's house over the summer and he ended up killing 7 bats that got inside that night. He has a big stick he would bash them with.

That's my bat story.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i saved a bat that hurt its wing as a kid and it lived in our playhouse for like a year and a half and i guess it felt better enough to finally leave

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
radical mammal-wingers

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Kuato posted:

I was thinking this morning I'd like a pet bat, major coincidence this thread happened today. Voting thread 4

Turns out bats make awful pets, as they tend to require companions, specific nutritional requirements, and enrichment so they don't go crazy.

Also they poo poo everywhere and are common carriers for zoonotic diseases. Hope you like hemorrhagic fevers!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
These are good bugs.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

ChickenHeart posted:

Turns out bats make awful pets, as they tend to require companions, specific nutritional requirements, and enrichment so they don't go crazy.

Also they poo poo everywhere and are common carriers for zoonotic diseases. Hope you like hemorrhagic fevers!

Yikes. Tried having a pet ferret, that did not work out. Probably stick with my stupid idiot dogs as pets.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
bats are awesome

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
na na na na na na na na na na na Bat!

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

I like bats too, OP.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
we must stop the spread of radical batslam in america
#trump4potus

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Matrim posted:

I like bats too, OP.

I will end you

DragonKeeper
Aug 4, 2004
MOLE GAVE ME THIS ACCOUNT OK GUYS

ChickenHeart posted:

CURRENT WHITE-NOSE SYNDROME STATUS: STILL poo poo; NEBRASKA'S GON' GET hosed (also RIP Missouri's brown bats they never scored)

I never knew the bat cocaine problem was so bad.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/8McKKKI.gifv

here is a bat for your bat thread chicken heart <3

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
How is the ebola outbreak?

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Bat slumber party

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Microwaves Mom posted:

How is the ebola outbreak?

Eh, it's still there, even though media coverage is nonexistent about it. Last I checked the Congo was still bleed-out-all-your-blood central but other places like Guinea have managed to get clean for the most part.

Bat-wise, there's been a neato article about bat immune systems and Ebola that could give some insight into actually figuring out where the gently caress it comes from: http://phys.org/news/2015-12-reveals-arms-ebola-virus-waged.html

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

VendaGoat posted:

These are good bugs.

mote
May 13, 2010

Indeed
You know what's NOT radical? Rabies, kids. gently caress all bats.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Thank you for this thread. Bats are my favourite animals. They are the best.

Now I'm off to watch more for those True Facts videos.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I have a fig tree outside my window and apparently the bats in my area loving love fig berries. They love them so much they sit out there eating them and make lovely noises all night and poo poo on my car. gently caress bats.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ChickenHeart posted:

Eh, it's still there, even though media coverage is nonexistent about it. Last I checked the Congo was still bleed-out-all-your-blood central but other places like Guinea have managed to get clean for the most part.

Bat-wise, there's been a neato article about bat immune systems and Ebola that could give some insight into actually figuring out where the gently caress it comes from: http://phys.org/news/2015-12-reveals-arms-ebola-virus-waged.html

Other fun bat fun fact is human immune system response such as fever don't work on viruses from the bat reservoir since bats have a higher body temperature than humans.

Hence the viruses had to evolve to survive in a much higher body temperature environment and infecting a human is like switching the game to easy mode.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i think it's good to put a bathouse on your roof, even though you'll probably never actually see the residents.

also i made appreciative noises at all theses gifs

except this one, gently caress you

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I like this one's spirit.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i think it's good to put a bathouse on your roof, even though you'll probably never actually see the residents.

also i made appreciative noises at all theses gifs

except this one, gently caress you

that bat keeps it real

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

on second look, i like his set of tiny but totally distinguishable teeth.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

why should i bother about bats when i can just throw a weasel up in the air and have the same effect?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
We've got a colony of flying foxes (fruit bats) which feeds in my neighbourhood every night. You need to get the washing off the clothesline before nightfall if you don't want it covered in bat poo poo.

Every now and then one of them flies extremely low and scares the poo poo out of my dog.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Lolie posted:

We've got a colony of flying foxes (fruit bats) which feeds in my neighbourhood every night. You need to get the washing off the clothesline before nightfall if you don't want it covered in bat poo poo.

Every now and then one of them flies extremely low and scares the poo poo out of my dog.

i can imagine your doing going ARU RU RUU RUUU!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Here's a Fish-eating Bat (Myotis vivesi)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish-eating_bat
Not to be confused with the bulldog/fishing bats, the Fish-eating Bat resides around the gulf of California, near the pacific. The biggest of the Myotis genus in America, this rear end in a top hat is also noteworthy for having big-honkin' feet with large claws to aid in catching fish (Also arthropods like insects or small crustaceans). They're also capable of processing seawater to help them live along arid coasts.

pictured: big-honkin' feet

Here it is eating some shrimp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHph-Di8IKw

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Posting in a bat thread.

Quick, to the bat-mobile :3:

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Uh oh.

http://www.earthtouchnews.com/wtf/wtf/excuse-me-mr-bat-youve-got-a-huge-parasitic-fly-on-your-face

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
That's a fly ?! Extremelyfucked up

quote:

"Female bat flies, like their relatives tsetse flies, are remarkably good mothers," he adds. "The great majority of insects lay hundreds or thousands of eggs, betting on one or two of them making it to adulthood. Bat flies, on the other hand – like humans – prefer to invest a lot in a much smaller number of offspring, hoping that they will all make it to the reproductive age. Instead of laying eggs the female gives birth to a single, fully developed larva, which immediately turns into a pupa."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, it was nasty enough that those flies just hang out permanently in the middle of some cool disease-infested bat's face, but they give live birth too.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
There are Lincoln Caverns ( U.S. Route 22 - Huntingdon, Pa. ) but white disease has just hosed everything up for local bats.
there is a lot of non tourist nature out there that's really nice, just not as many bats :(

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 20, 2016

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i used to go to this pond at night and watch bats skim over the surface presumably gobbling up bugs

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

man how is that bat even gonna see

• Locked thread