Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Mange Mite posted:

Youre supposed to use dashi not water

Who makes soup with water

me: for miso soup babe do you use dashi or is that part of the miso paste?

her: You can add it in addition to the miso paste but not necessary. Most of time I only use the miso paste for miso soup.

me: would you say your way is common or would most people use dashi?

her: But I do have dash at home, if babe wants some later, I can give you some

her: I think my way is kind of common

me: this is for an internet argument it's important

her: Haha if you are going to cook it at home using paste I don't think it is necessary

we're talking fob here so I'm gonna trust her over some rando goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

her: You can add it in addition to the miso paste but not necessary. Most of time I only use the miso paste for miso soup.

her: Haha if you are going to cook it at home using paste I don't think it is necessary

tell her from me shes a dumb bitch

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Zeno-25 posted:

If you can find a stewing hen then use that for making stock, they make really good stock since they have a ton of collagen in them.
Where would you find one of these? It's kind of hard to find whole raw chickens in the first place but i do have a local grocer that sells roasters and fryers, I've straight up never seen a stewing hen even though i know what they're supposed to be for. As mentioned earlier itt I typically just use a roaster/fryer and cook it as normal then make stock from the carcass, but I'd totally use stewing hens if i knew where to buy them.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

fax me a copy of the miso soup. just pour it right into the fax machine.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Some miso pastes have dashi concentrate mixed in. It's not necessary to make miso from dashi like that other idiot is saying. It's just optional if you want your miso more brothy tasting.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Where would you find one of these? It's kind of hard to find whole raw chickens in the first place but i do have a local grocer that sells roasters and fryers, I've straight up never seen a stewing hen even though i know what they're supposed to be for. As mentioned earlier itt I typically just use a roaster/fryer and cook it as normal then make stock from the carcass, but I'd totally use stewing hens if i knew where to buy them.

Go to the poor people / Mexican people grocery store

Stew hens are cheaper than normal hens because they're usually retired egghens and their meat is tougher than cookhens

They're not easy to find though.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 21, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Break down and broil your brothchickens before making broth with them goons

Unless you're a clever guy like me and you have a giant fairly shallow broiling pan you can brown the bits in before dumping in water

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

Go to the poor people / Mexican people grocery store

Stew hens are cheaper than normal hens because they're usually retired egghens and their meat is tougher than cookhens

They're not easy to find though.

Yeah I figured they'd be cheaper because they were dual purpose so to speak but I've just never seen them. Maybe I'll look around a bit more, the store i go to already is one of the cheaper ones (winco) but there's a couple neighborhoods I normally never go to that might be more like what you describe.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sheep-Goats posted:

Some miso pastes have dashi concentrate mixed in. It's not necessary to make miso from dashi like that other idiot is saying. It's just optional if you want your miso more brothy tasting.

Please dont encourage arbitrary c

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
heyy uhh.... dumb fucks? why would I waste my time smashing a chicken and chopping onions when campbell's is going to do it better anyway?

I don't even have to cook this, I can just pour it out into a bowl and eat it lukewarm, so please, tell me again about how great "cooking" your home-made chicken pussy soup is while I eat a big bowl of lukewarm cheeseburger soup.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You'd think they'd have a made for TV single purpose Campbell's soup in-can soup heater device by now.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Campbell's is okay, too much salt but like if you're lazy and wanna throw a bag of mixed veggies, a can of campbells, and some water into a pot you'll end up with a cheap and passable dinner for zero effort. Imo a very important part of cooking is using the shortcuts you're comfortable with to just consistently do it on a day to day basis, if that means sprucing up canned or boxed food into something more nutritional then that's still better than going out and getting mcdonalds.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Sheep-Goats posted:

You'd think they'd have a made for TV single purpose Campbell's soup in-can soup heater device by now.
Just eat it cold out of the can. I call it "bachelor's gazpacho."

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Obligatory Toast posted:

They're concentrates. The beef one is made from beef bones and even the veggie one has a little bit of yeast added to it to improve the savory taste of it. You can use as little as you need to improve most recipes.

I made some chicken broth with the chicken base the other night - simmered some chicken thighs on the bone after sauteeing them and gettin' them a little browned, and put some bay leaves in there for good measure. Made some good white bean chicken chili.

Thank you. The one in the fridge is the veggie kind. I was thinking...maybe add it to some sauteed vegetables just for flavor, like out of a soup context?

I think the thread title should be changed to "I just made soup and it's digesting."

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

this is super sad :(

naem
May 29, 2011

Orkin Mang posted:

this is super sad :(

Everything on this website is sad I hate myself

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

im drunk all the time and my torso has hurt for weeks, thankfuly im a aries and things are coming up me allegedly.im reluctant to judge but a charmer irl according to my gypsy

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

mind posting a pic of ur huge dong?

naem
May 29, 2011

It is really big I won't lie

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
pics pls.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

did you try jerking off into the soup, op?

(sorry if anyone's posted this)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Business Gorillas posted:

this would just make it more salty. the trick is to geneticaly predispose it to get leukeumia then catapult it into the sun

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Methanar posted:

I did slow cook it. Does the garlic sulphur thing also affect garlic? They're pretty similar plants.

Yes, though the flavor is a little different- that very well could have been the issue

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LGD posted:

Yes, though the flavor is a little different- that very well could have been the issue

the problem is one of bone fluids.if u were to drain the soup of its bone liquor then assuming it was alight with the energy of sol invictus it would be saltfree and edible

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i used to be the shikomi cook at a ramen place and we used dashi for our miso but you can use the paste at home or whatever. it really doesn't matter and if you are actually going to get upset about it you are a retard hth

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

or you can make a lesser known stew known as daeshi, just brown the severed head of a western kafir infidel, add goats blood and aromatics and simmer on medium heat for 3 hours. may allah accept it into jannah

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

hey everyone, let's listen to forums poster the great deceiver, i'm sure he's not just trying to lie to us so we "own" ourselves by cooking food

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

Business Gorillas posted:

op told me his recipe and it already included that.
guess the guy who originally wrote the recipe on the bathroom stall was two steps ahead of you, Mr. Gorilla.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

everything i say is a lie and nothing is

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Stik3 posted:

op told me his recipe and it already included that.
guess the guy who originally wrote the recipe on the bathroom stall was two steps ahead of you, Mr. Gorilla.

sorry everyone

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
What makes a soup a soup? I used to only like the really plain campbell's chicken noodle but then I got sick one time and I went even plainer and just started buying chicken broth. Is broth soup?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

frenton posted:

What makes a soup a soup? I used to only like the really plain campbell's chicken noodle but then I got sick one time and I went even plainer and just started buying chicken broth. Is broth soup?

No that's a sandwich.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i madd some white chicken chile last night and it was good. i even put corn in it :mrgw:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

Do you really make miso soup? My gf has it pretty regularly and basically it's just water + miso paste + tofu + maybe green onions or seaweed. Admittedly delicious but I wouldn't call it cooking.

idk do you really make a sandwich either?

I added sauteed vegetables to the regular combo because I had them on hand. I like chunky soup better.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Enfield posted:

i madd some white chicken chile last night and it was good. i even put corn in it :mrgw:

hope u didnt "burn" it LOL

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

the great deceiver posted:

hope u didnt "burn" it LOL

Idgi

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

me neither :(

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

you're fired

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

idk do you really make a sandwich either?
Fair enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

now i get it :)

• Locked thread