Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hurray UH made it into the Big East! Not the best BCS conference but it- *all the good teams flee the Big East, BCS system goes away anyway, Big East ceases to exist*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I want ISU in the AAC only so I can see their fans try to unironically claim that the only reason Iowa has a better record than them is that we don't have to play an AAC schedule.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Oklahoma isn't going anywhere if the GOR comes into play. The collapse of oil prices is gonna hurt the school bigtime, now is not the time for OU to be jeopardizing any funding.

Boren is saber-rattling because he's a skilled politician and knows that now is a good time to bring up expansion again. OU got in the playoffs this year but he knows long-term the conference is at a major disadvantage for playoff spots without a championship game, and I seriously doubt the Big 12 puts one in without going to 12 teams/divisions.

Also, considering Boren is the one pushing this the hardest and OU is the 2nd-most important school in the conference, Tulane definitely has more than an outside chance of admission. Boren has staked his legacy on improving OU's academic profile, which he has done substantially, and adding Tulane would further boost that by way of "the company you keep."

If, however, OU bolts holy poo poo I hope it's for the PAC-12, if they'd have us. Big 10 would be cool. gently caress the SEC.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

poo poo, double post. first time for everything!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

go3 posted:

really yall should be asking yourselves why all these other inferior conferences arent shedding teams to get down to a round robin number of teams like god intended

This guy gets it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TipTow posted:

OU got in the playoffs this year but he knows long-term the conference is at a major disadvantage for playoff spots without a championship game

I really want to see evidence for this because it didn't hurt them at all this year and seems like it'd be a benefit at least as often as it is a burden on the conference.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MourningView posted:

I really want to see evidence for this because it didn't hurt them at all this year and seems like it'd be a benefit at least as often as it is a burden on the conference.

Well, OU and Texas will always be given the benefit of the doubt. Anyone else in the Big 12 will get screwed, all other things being equal. Back to the "company you keep" thing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Baylor or TCU would have gotten in last year if not for the refusal to back away from the co-champions thing

I think, anyway

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Intruder posted:

Baylor or TCU would have gotten in last year if not for the refusal to back away from the co-champions thing

I think, anyway

I mean, that likely didn't help, but what was almost certainly more significant was getting Ohio State (which had quite the championship game performance under its belt) in over some small private school in Texas.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The MAC officially kicked out UMass

who wants to expand to get some hot hot minuteman football in their conference?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Kick out Rutgers

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Intruder posted:

I think, anyway

God dammit how did this become the narrative? It was not a "refusal." The rules for determining champions were set out before the season started. The commissioner couldn't just unilaterally change those rules after all the games had been played, and obviously neither of the schools was going to vacate their title to help the other make the playoff. If the B12 had refused to name both of them co-champs, whoever got snubbed would have sued, and they would have won.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

God dammit how did this become the narrative? It was not a "refusal." The rules for determining champions were set out before the season started. The commissioner couldn't just unilaterally change those rules after all the games had been played, and obviously neither of the schools was going to vacate their title to help the other make the playoff. If the B12 had refused to name both of them co-champs, whoever got snubbed would have sued, and they would have won.

Nobody lets facts get in the way of narratives.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
i think it got started when you literally marketed the conference as having "one true champion" and then didn't

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thermos H Christ posted:

This doesn't change the fact that the rules allowing for shared conference championships is dumb.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

DJExile posted:

The MAC officially kicked out UMass

who wants to expand to get some hot hot minuteman football in their conference?

Maybe they had a chance at FBS in a timeline where there was a Northeast conference

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kinda glad FSU avoided that mess, now. Games would have been fun, though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

Whatever, I don't know the details, the only college stuff I really follow is my own school :shrug:

So then the ability to have co-champions is arguably what cost them the playoff spot, the point was that it's not just Texas and Oklahoma that can get into the playoff without a conference championship game

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Intruder posted:

Whatever, I don't know the details, the only college stuff I really follow is my own school :shrug:

So then the ability to have co-champions is arguably what cost them the playoff spot, the point was that it's not just Texas and Oklahoma that can get into the playoff without a conference championship game

All the favorites won conference championship games last year as well, and the ones that needed to did so very convincingly. That doesn't always happen. If things had gone the other way the Big XII could have ended up with both Baylor and TCU in. Overall I think it'll be a wash. Some years not having a conference championship game will help, some years it will hurt, some years it won't matter.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

All the favorites won conference championship games last year as well, and the ones that needed to did so very convincingly. That doesn't always happen. If things had gone the other way the Big XII could have ended up with both Baylor and TCU in. Overall I think it'll be a wash. Some years not having a conference championship game will help, some years it will hurt, some years it won't matter.

man there is no way on the planet the B12 is putting 2 teams in the playoff, especially if Baylor and TCU are the 2.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Goetta posted:

Man Cincy doesn't even want to be in a big conference... AAC sounds just fine to me.... pssh who even owns a tv these days anyways? Losers, probably... yeah ....

I've been waiting for an excuse to use this again.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

I've been waiting for an excuse to use this again.

I wish the ACC would take you guys. :smith:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

man there is no way on the planet the B12 is putting 2 teams in the playoff, especially if Baylor and TCU are the 2.

Florida State was playing #11, Ohio State #12, Alabama #16 and Oregon #8. Baylor and TCU would have gotten in had 2 of OSU, FSU, or 'bama lost. But all those games were blowouts, and Ohio State was impressive enough to jump in.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

Beaten, but there was a non-trivial chance of it happening going into to conference championships last year. And there was certainly a decent chance of at least one of them getting in. It didn't work out. And some years it won't. But other years will be like this year, where conference championships don't matter much. And other years will see upsets in conference championships that open up a spot for a Big XII school.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

MourningView posted:

I want ISU in the AAC only so I can see their fans try to unironically claim that the only reason Iowa has a better record than them is that we don't have to play an AAC schedule.

Rutgers went 3-5 in conference in the AAC then joined the B1G and went 3-5 as well. I'd say the conferences are about even difficulty wise.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah. If at least two out of the four power conference championships in 2014 had been upsets, then we probably would have had both Baylor and TCU in there and the media narrative today would be totally different.

And one of those upsets was tantalizingly close to happening :argh:

Pakled fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 21, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

go3 posted:

really yall should be asking yourselves why all these other inferior conferences arent shedding teams to get down to a round robin number of teams like god intended

The other conferences prefer to have one true champion.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Korranus posted:

I think for now Houston is just going to have to get a lot of people hot and bothered about making a lot of noise from the G5, and how G5s should only be seen in September and not heard, and become hot real estate to a conference that is competently run...like the ACC or Pac 12. Or maybe a conference that don't exist yet.

I keep hearing people say "we need to follow Boise State's footsteps", because I guess there's nothing else we can do, but look at Boise. All that winning, the David & Goliath narratives, and the success sustained long enough to turn fans into haters - only to get no higher than the MWC.

I might be more negative than most, but I think Houston will hang around just long enough to be left out by the four superconferences and have to drop to FCS or drop football altogether. Turn TDECU stadium into a smaller stadium with another parking garage next to the current parking garage.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

Yeah. If at least two out of the four power conference championships in 2014 had been upsets, then we probably would have had both Baylor and TCU in there and the media narrative today would be totally different.

And one of those upsets was tantalizingly close to happening :argh:

The point I am making there is that the Big XII hedged and lost. They declared co-champs in the hopes they could sneak the two in, thinking there was a good chance for Wisconsin and GT to pull the upsets. Neither of those things happened and the commissioner wound up with egg on his face.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Wanvig posted:

I keep hearing people say "we need to follow Boise State's footsteps", because I guess there's nothing else we can do, but look at Boise. All that winning, the David & Goliath narratives, and the success sustained long enough to turn fans into haters - only to get no higher than the MWC.

I might be more negative than most, but I think Houston will hang around just long enough to be left out by the four superconferences and have to drop to FCS or drop football altogether. Turn TDECU stadium into a smaller stadium with another parking garage next to the current parking garage.

Boise's problem isn't that their football success didn't mean enough. It's that their football success could never mean enough given their location and overall lack of presence. It's cool that they won games but no one carea about Idaho and no one cares about the university. Football isn't going to change that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Ahem, that's Pac-12 affiliate member for wrestling Boise State you guys are talking about here. Show some respect.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Ahem, that's Pac-12 affiliate member for wrestling Boise State you guys are talking about here. Show some respect.

I'm surprised they let them get that close.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MourningView posted:

there isnt any evidence because it isnt true. no one-loss small school is getting into the playoffs unless literally everyone else in the country has 2 losses. the playoff is entirely about money and that means viewers and the last school the playoff committee wants is a school with a base smaller than hooterville. TCU or Baylor wants in the playoff? fine, go undefeated.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Wanvig posted:

Well the campus could certainly use more parking

Though admittedly I graduated before they installed the parking garage off spur 5 so I don't know what the parking situation is like these days

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

I'm surprised they let them get that close.

North Dakota State, Wyoming, and the other affiliate Big XII schools for wrestling are super proud about it and go out of their way to point out that they are technically conference members. I assume Boise is the same way about the Pac-12.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Thoguh posted:

North Dakota State, Wyoming, and the other affiliate Big XII schools for wrestling are super proud about it and go out of their way to point out that they are technically conference members. I assume Boise is the same way about the Pac-12.

SDSU is an affiliate Pac 12 member for soccer and I've never heard them really bring it up

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
The Big 12 (Bowlsby) decides who they get to recommend to the committee (and that recommendation came down to tiebreaker which Baylor won), but used obscure technical loopholes (saying it was only for bowl games not for a committee which is brand new) to refuse to say that Baylor was the champion and went out of his way to hint to others that TCU was the better team, intentionally torpedoing Baylor's chances forever like they always do (would've won that year, and alst year, and thi syear, and forever chamops) and now baylors gonna get left out of a conference again (like TCU tried to do in the big 12, but backfired, and they got stuck in midmajor no mans land forever and blamed baylor for it) despite being the best team in football and basketball and probably other dumber sports too

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Hawai'i to the Big 12. When Alabama was on probation and couldn't go bowling they'd go play their last game of the season out on the islands. And look at what happened since then-- like a hundred national championship wins. Better let Hawai'i in y'all if you wanna win nattys

please don't let my team die :smith:

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I want it to be UCF. I wanna be able to tell people I go to a Big 12 school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Hawai'i to the Big 12. When Alabama was on probation and couldn't go bowling they'd go play their last game of the season out on the islands. And look at what happened since then-- like a hundred national championship wins. Better let Hawai'i in y'all if you wanna win nattys
please don't let my team die :smith:

The idea of all Big XII schools playing an away game at Hawaii in order to get 13 games has been discussed and has my endorsement.

• Locked thread