Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Grittybeard posted:

I've been waiting for an excuse to use this again.

I remember being super hyped about the Big East when I first went to campus :unsmith:

Realistically, no way Cinci deserves to be in a major conference. Even people in Cincinnati don't care about UC, but man it would be nice. ACC would be the coolest and best fit since there's lots of fairweather football fans and Louisville in that conference too, but it's not gonna happen. We have tens of people attend our bowl games, it would be so out of place in the B12.

Ellipson fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hello

quote:

The University of Cincinnati is refusing to release emails, travel records and other public documents regarding the possibility of it gaining membership in the Big 12 Conference, which may consider expansion later this week.

The Enquirer asked for the documents, including UC President Santa Ono's travel records, in a Nov. 17 public records request. Two UC attorneys recently completed their review of the documents, usually a final step before public records are released.

But in an unusual move, UC's general counsel instead gave the documents to the Board of Trustees last week, said Kenya Faulkner, the university's top attorney.

"They asked to see them, and I had to turn them over," said Faulkner, vice president for legal affairs and general counsel. "They've never asked me to do that before."

It's possible UC officials are trying to be careful not to risk messing up a potential opportunity to move into a major conference, which could generate millions of dollars for the university, raise UC's national profile and move it to the right side of a growing divide between the haves and have-nots in college sports.

But withholding the documents raises questions about transparency at a public university, which has an annual budget of $1 billion and is the largest employer in Greater Cincinnati. It's also a potential violation of state open records law.

The decision to withhold the documents comes as Big 12 Conference officials and member university presidents and athletic directors are scheduled to hold their annual meetings later this week. Officials are expected to discuss expansion, according to the Sporting News and other media outlets. UC often has been mentioned in media reports that it could be invited to join the league.

"We are concerned that these records have been so hard to come by," Enquirer Editor Peter Bhatia said. "Our goal is simply to tell the story of UC’s process with the Big 12. It is an important story for Cincinnati and the university.”

The Enquirer asked UC to release travel records for Ono, athletic director Mike Bohn and other top administrators, specifically for trips taken to meet with Big 12 Conference officials and the 10 member schools since Oct. 1, 2014. The Enquirer also requested emails between Ono, Bohn, other top UC administrators and officials with the Big 12 Conference and each of the league's member schools.

On Dec. 15, UC attorney Katherine Miefert told The Enquirer the university was working quickly to gather the documents and had no intention of withholding the records from the public. In January, however, UC officials stopped returning messages from The Enquirer about the records request.

The university remained silent about the records until Faulkner provided her explanation on Tuesday.

Moving into a new conference is essentially a business deal, and universities typically have been secretive about it since a significant number of conference shifts began nearly five years ago.

Ono raised speculation about a UC-Big 12 courtship on Jan. 20, when he posted a Twitter message about a popular Mexican restaurant in Austin, Texas, becoming his new favorite place to eat in that city. The Big 12's University of Texas is based in Austin. UT and the University of Oklahoma are considered the conference's power brokers.

Many observers believe those two schools -- each steeped in college football lore -- will have the final say on whether the Big 12 expands and which schools will be invited to join.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Nope

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I refuse to believe Santa Ono is a real name a person has on this earth

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Sash! posted:

I refuse to believe Santa Ono is a real name a person has on this earth

He's married to a woman named Gwendolyn Yip which a downright fun name to say

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News: Viacom stock is tumbling after their latest earnings report

Views: Do you see this David Boren? Do you see this? Shut the gently caress up about thinking a conference network is something worth pursuing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Views: Do you see this David Boren? Do you see this? Shut the gently caress up about thinking a conference network is something worth pursuing.

Does Viacom own one of the conference networks?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frackie Robinson posted:

Does Viacom own one of the conference networks?

No. But they own a bunch of cable channels are this reiterates that people are cutting cable and that is causing a drop in revenue across the board, indicating that a conference network that gets their money from people having cable vs. people wanting to watch your matchups is not going to be as viable going forward as it has been in the past.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

The point I am making there is that the Big XII hedged and lost. They declared co-champs in the hopes they could sneak the two in, thinking there was a good chance for Wisconsin and GT to pull the upsets. Neither of those things happened and the commissioner wound up with egg on his face.

No. No they did not. That did not happen, and as a B12 fan you of all people should know better.

That decision was not made at the end of the season. It could not be made at the end of the season. It had nothing to do with Wisconsin or GT. The rules for the tournament and declaring a winner had been declared long in advance, and agreed upon by all the teams. The commissioner could not just unilaterally take back the hardware from a co-champ who won it fair and square under the rules everyone agreed to. I guess starting this narrative is not as bad as enabling rapists, but I'm still going to add it to the list of reasons I do not like football coach Art Briles. It was asinine of him to demand it, and it is asinine that everyone ran with his insane suggestion that it was possible.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
IMO the Group of Five should look into conference networks. But not as like, individual conferences. One Group of Five channel for everybody. Hell bring in Ivy Leagues and FCS teams too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The fact that the Big 12 rules allow for co-champions to exist and it wasn't just a plot to try to get two teams in the playoff and/or gently caress over Baylor doesn't change the fact that conferences having co-champions is dumb and should not happen in the twenty-first century.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

The fact that the Big 12 rules allow for co-champions to exist and it wasn't just a plot to try to get two teams in the playoff and/or gently caress over Baylor doesn't change the fact that conferences having co-champions is dumb and should not happen in the twenty-first century.

Part of that was due to the fact that they needed to petition the NCAA to allow them to have a championship game, and I think the NCAA denied it at first since they didn't have divisions anymore.

Naming 2 teams as co-champs was a pretty silly gamble though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pakled posted:

What about the fact that the rules allowed for that and they spent an entire season putting "One True Champion" commercials on my television? Who will pay for that?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Pakled posted:

That goes double when you roll out a huge "ONE TRUE CHAMPION" ad campaign after having co-champs in 2012 and a near-miss in 2013.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

That goes double when you roll out a huge "ONE TRUE CHAMPION" ad campaign after having co-champs in 2012 and a near-miss in 2013.

Yeah this was the hilarious part, more than anything.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DJExile posted:

Part of that was due to the fact that they needed to petition the NCAA to allow them to have a championship game, and I think the NCAA denied it at first since they didn't have divisions anymore.

Naming 2 teams as co-champs was a pretty silly gamble though.

Is there anything preventing them from having tiebreaker conditions to determine the champion if multiple teams have the same number of wins?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

Is there anything preventing them from having tiebreaker conditions to determine the champion if multiple teams have the same number of wins?

Not to my knowledge, no. TCU and Baylor both had pretty good arguments to make that year.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Pakled posted:

That exact thing was put in place prior to the 2015 season. No more co-champs. Also it sounds like there is discussion about the possibility of playing a round robin followed by a rematch between the top two teams for the championship. I go back and forth on whether that is awesome or the worst idea I have ever heard.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thermos H Christ posted:

That exact thing was put in place prior to the 2015 season. No more co-champs. Also it sounds like there is discussion about the possibility of playing a round robin followed by a rematch between the top two teams for the championship. I go back and forth on whether that is awesome or the worst idea I have ever heard.

It would be really cool, both because conference championship games own, and because of the shitstorm that would happen the first time a team beat someone in the championship that they lost to in the regular season.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Pakled posted:

It would be really cool, both because conference championship games own, and because of the shitstorm that would happen the first time a team beat someone in the championship that they lost to in the regular season.

But I mean it's not like that scenario is so unlikely in a 12-team conference with divisional champions facing off after playing multiple cross-division games.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pakled posted:

Why does it matter? If the two top teams have the same record, then everyone (the bowls included) pretty much acknowledges that the one that one the head to head is the de facto champion. Maybe they both get trophies, but who gives a poo poo? The selection committee in 2014 basically said, "gee, we sure wish the Big 12 hadn't forced us to use critical thinking to make a choice between Baylor and TCU", which is their entire job, and is such a colossally stupid stance to take that I wish the conference hadn't even dignified it with a response.

Football worked this way for literally 100 years, conferences swapped to having championship games out of necessity (and money), not because everyone suddenly decided it was the superior way to do things.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 10, 2016

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

No. No they did not. That did not happen, and as a B12 fan you of all people should know better.

That decision was not made at the end of the season. It could not be made at the end of the season. It had nothing to do with Wisconsin or GT. The rules for the tournament and declaring a winner had been declared long in advance, and agreed upon by all the teams. The commissioner could not just unilaterally take back the hardware from a co-champ who won it fair and square under the rules everyone agreed to. I guess starting this narrative is not as bad as enabling rapists, but I'm still going to add it to the list of reasons I do not like football coach Art Briles. It was asinine of him to demand it, and it is asinine that everyone ran with his insane suggestion that it was possible.

It would have been easy for them to declare Baylor champion and TCU co-champion. Or even declared Baylor as the Big XII's #1 team (would have gone to Sugar Bowl in Champions Bowl years) without breaking the co-champions thing. They hedged by presenting the teams as proper co-champions, not putting one over the other. They lost.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
14 team conferences are stupid.

10 teams with a round robin format is good. 12 teams with 2 divisions, a conference championship game with teams playing everyone at least once home & away per 4 years is good . 14 teams with convoluted schedule making is stupid. 16 team conferences make way more sense than 14 team conferences but it's baby steps to get there.

Big problem for a 4- super conference approach is that 4 teams would have to go to the Pac-12. There really isn't any good options west of the Rockies to bring in new markets or tvs (SDSU, BSU, UNLV, BYU or New Mexico don't cut it). Most people out here think Colorado is WAY out there, so to think of needing to bring in some combination of 4 teams from Oklahoma, Kansas & Texas is far fetched but a necessity for the 16 team mega conference ideas. For TVs (where this is all about), Pac will likely try to take KU, OK, TEX & 1 other Texas team but will some how end up with K St, OK St TT & UTEP.

I do like the 4 mega conference ideas where the CCG is the defacto Quarterfinal game to the 4 team playoff.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

It would have been easy for them to declare Baylor champion and TCU co-champion. Or even declared Baylor as the Big XII's #1 team (would have gone to Sugar Bowl in Champions Bowl years) without breaking the co-champions thing. They hedged by presenting the teams as proper co-champions, not putting one over the other. They lost.

There was a tiebreaker in place to determine who got the BCS autobid in the event of co-champions during the BCS era. In 2014 there was not a BCS autobid involved, and there was no tiebreaker in place for the situation that arose. You wanted Bowlsby to just declare unilaterally that one of the champions was more champion than the other, and ask the committee to vote for them? That's ridiculous. He wasn't hedging a bet, he was just making the obvious choice not to do something he had no authority to do, which would have almost certainly kicked off litigation against the league and/or him personally.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

There was a tiebreaker in place to determine who got the BCS autobid in the event of co-champions during the BCS era. In 2014 there was not a BCS autobid involved, and there was no tiebreaker in place for the situation that arose. You wanted Bowlsby to just declare unilaterally that one of the champions was more champion than the other, and ask the committee to vote for them? That's ridiculous. He wasn't hedging a bet, he was just making the obvious choice not to do something he had no authority to do, which would have almost certainly kicked off litigation against the league and/or him personally.

There was a tiebreaker. There had to be a tiebreaker to determine who would represent the Big XII in the Champions Bowl. It was actually a really short tiebreaker, too, since it was just H2H. The rules said they would be declared co-champions but the winner of tiebreakers would represent the Big XII in the top auto-bowl.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

There was a tiebreaker. There had to be a tiebreaker to determine who would represent the Big XII in the Champions Bowl. It was actually a really short tiebreaker, too, since it was just H2H. The rules said they would be declared co-champions but the winner of tiebreakers would represent the Big XII in the top auto-bowl.

Yeah, and all the Big 12 did was reiterate what the rules are. It's absurd to think the Big 12 coming out and saying, "we're going to declare Baylor the for real, uncontested champ, contrary to our existing rules" would have made one bit of difference to anyone.

If committee members are waiting with baited breath for someone to tell you what you need think about team A's head to head win over team B, then they are literally too stupid to live.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 10, 2016

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

This honestly isn't that surprising to me. They renovated Nippert fairly recently, and the basketball arena is actually pretty nice for the school. Plus they keep pouring money into the school since Ono has proven pretty effective at fundraising and budgeting for UC. I have a decent number of friends who work for the school who have been chattering for the last two years about them trying to jump to Power 5. The timing and cultural fit (all offense and no defense) are too good a fit to not pursue at least.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

He had a chance to forward Baylor as the team to the top bowl, except he spent hours all night with a dictionary figuring out exactly which loophole he could use to avoid doing that (due to his love of TCU's cheating and a desire to get two teams into the playoffs but mostly getting TCU in first because he felt "TCU was better" due to twitter Media trump bias). The obscure loophole he found was it said "bowl game" instead of "playoffs" and because this was the first playoffs he said there was no precedent for that and refused to forward Baylor, the #1 team in the world, as the #1 team in the conference.

This except the first part (he could have and should have put them forward as the #1 team):

kayakyakr posted:

Everyone knew they were co-champions based on the rules but he refused to name Baylor costing them our First Ever Championship except all the other championships we won, mostly AFFman Style.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Long term yes, but you can just as easily argue that they should get the money now because it's not going to exist soon.

I have some inside info here in that I know for a fact that traditional cable companies as they exist now will be dead in five years, it will all be over the top ala Netflix. There will only be ISPs and no content providers.

I know that everyone sees this as inevitable but hamstrung for now due to rights issues. However, one of the bigger players in cable is planning to flip the switch a lot sooner than you think. The reason is that internet is pure profit for them, while they make nothing off television because the rights are so expensive.

Basically - I would be shocked if companies like Disney, Discovery, Viacom, Comcast, Fox, Time Warner, etc.. don't crater hard. The vhannels that will be well positioned will be the ones that can adapt to the new world. E.g., HBO will be fine because they never depended on mass coverage and can make money off content resale.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 10, 2016

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Long term yes, but you can just as easily argue that they should get the money now because it's not going to exist soon.

I have some inside info here in that I know for a fact that traditional cable companies as they exist now will be dead in five years, it will all be over the top ala Netflix. There will only be ISPs and no content providers.

I know that everyone sees this as inevitable but hamstrung for now due to rights issues. However, one of the bigger players in cable is planning to flip the switch a lot sooner than you think. The reason is that internet is pure profit for them, while they make nothing off television because the rights are so expensive.

Dropping Truth Bombs that Cable TV Companies May Adjust their Business Plans Soon

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I work in the industry and have literally seen the plans for this stuff starting to roll out in Q3 of this year and that's not publicly known. Of course it's well known that this is going to happen as a long term trend, it's just going to happen a lot sooner than people think.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

I work in the industry and have literally seen the plans for this stuff starting to roll out in Q3 of this year and that's not publicly known. Of course it's well known that this is going to happen as a long term trend, it's just going to happen a lot sooner than people think.

How much are our internet rates going to increase for the same or less service?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Big 12 should have went all in and just took FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, and Clemson.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

OK, now point out where an auto-bid was at issue and the B12 failed to apply the tiebreaker.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kim Jong Il posted:

To start a conference network they have to buy out the existing deals that all 10 schools have though. That would eat up a good chunk of any immediate profits since it would take a couple years of revenue to pay for that (especially since that includes making up for the insane amount Texas is making). Plus it would take a couple of years to get the network set up and actually on to cable network lineups. By then any window would probably be closed.

Basically every school already has some form of digital network though. If they just want to band those together under a Big XII network banner then whatever. Only thing you'd have to do in that case is agree to a common subscription rate among schools and grant everybody access to all the content.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 10, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

whiteyfats posted:

Big 12 should have went all in and just took FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, and Clemson.

This is my dream scenario in the event of an ACC breakup. Maybe VT instead of Miami, but everyone seems to say they're more likely to end up in the SEC.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Tank44 posted:

Big problem for a 4- super conference approach is that 4 teams would have to go to the Pac-12. There really isn't any good options west of the Rockies to bring in new markets or tvs (SDSU, BSU, UNLV, BYU or New Mexico don't cut it). Most people out here think Colorado is WAY out there, so to think of needing to bring in some combination of 4 teams from Oklahoma, Kansas & Texas is far fetched but a necessity for the 16 team mega conference ideas. For TVs (where this is all about), Pac will likely try to take KU, OK, TEX & 1 other Texas team but will some how end up with K St, OK St TT & UTEP.

This is the big point in my opinion. Pac-12 is at the size it can be and will be for quite a few years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa State could never survive with the I assume like $0.25 a year they get from mediacom to air THE CLONE ZONE on the cable channel that usually shows high school sports.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Iowa State could never survive with the I assume like $0.25 a year they get from mediacom to air THE CLONE ZONE on the cable channel that usually shows high school sports.

Ya'll just jealous there's no Hawkeyes.TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Actually didn't Iowa get legit mad about that cable channel and declare they were going to start their own even though the Big Ten Network owns all their rights? Did that ever get off the ground?

• Locked thread