Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Toilet Mouth posted:

There's infighting at Oklahoma over potential Big 12 expansion

So apparently even the OU regents don't have Boren's back on this, if this is to be believed. His one-man crusade for expansion just makes less and less sense, I have no feel for what his angle is here.

quote:

Weitzenhoffer added he is an old-school football fan, preferring the old bowl system ruled by the human polls.

"Based on what happened to us in the Orange Bowl, even if we won that [playoff] game, we would not be able to field a team that week," Weitzenhoffer said.

"Our quarterback [Baker Mayfield] -- I was on the sidelines -- was totally out of it. Our running backs were finished. I just think a playoff also added another element of risk."

Oh, so an idiot doesn't like expansion. How odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Houston, Memphis, Central Florida, and Colorado State are all jockeying for position, if Gordon Gee's inbox means anything.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Memphis is willing to spend half a billion to get into the Big 12, which is really like the saddest way to spend half a billion.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-memphis-willing-spend-500-million-upgrades-join-big-12/

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PostNouveau posted:

Memphis is willing to spend half a billion to get into the Big 12, which is really like the saddest way to spend half a billion.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-memphis-willing-spend-500-million-upgrades-join-big-12/

I want to boil this comment down to a pure :secsmug: resin and inject it into my bloodstream

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Its the Big XII wrestling schools and affiliates

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Without reading the spoiler, is it wrestling?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm pretty good at recognizing initials and logos from some obscure colleges, but I have no idea who that UNC is

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sash! posted:

I'm pretty good at recognizing initials and logos from some obscure colleges, but I have no idea who that UNC is

North Colorado?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Metapod posted:

North Colorado?

Yeah.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Dropping by to lol at Cincy

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

And they still don't want us :(

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hed posted:

And they still don't want us :(

Didn't y'all leave?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I thought we tried to remain in Big 12 for wrestling but some schools (understandably) didn't want us, so we ended up in the MAC which is actually pretty good for wrestling as I understand it. Anyway, I couldn't find any sources to reconcile what's in my head with reality so v:)v

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hed posted:

Yeah, I thought we tried to remain in Big 12 for wrestling but some schools (understandably) didn't want us, so we ended up in the MAC which is actually pretty good for wrestling as I understand it. Anyway, I couldn't find any sources to reconcile what's in my head with reality so v:)v

I think that sums it up pretty well. Ya'll even have an Olympian this year who's still a student.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hed posted:

Aw drat, did not know that. I know Mizzou has done well enough for itself in the SEC, but for what it's worth I'd love to have them back in the Big 12.

Would happily trade Baylor to the SEC for you.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's a fun blast back to the Big 12's formation from the Big 8 + SWC.

The article is about former a KSU president's new book which devotes some pages to the Big 12 formation and today. Some choice quotes:

quote:

[KSU president] Wefald was Chairman of the Association of Big Eight schools in 1990, when the college sports landscape started trembling. Over the next couple of years, the Big Ten, Southeastern and Atlantic Coast conferences expanded. The Southwest Conference was wobbling and the Big Eight needed to change or would be left behind.

Initially, Wefald talked about a merger of the 16 schools. But on a conference call in February 1994, Wefald recalled then-Texas president Bob Berdahl shaping the league. “’Here is what we decided,’” Wefald quoted Berdahl. “’We encourage the Big 8 Conference to invite Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor and Texas to form a new conference.’”

Wefald: “For four years, I had hoped we could convince Texas to join the Big 8. I did not want to ask Bob Berdahl any questions about the fate of Rice, Houston, SMU and TCU. I knew there was only one difference between K-State and them: we were in the Big 8.”

interesting.

quote:

But I was shocked to find out that Charles Kiesler, the Missouri Chancellor, would not vote for any KU candidate. If Kiesler had set aside his pettiness, Bob Frederick would have been the new Big 12 Commissioner.”

:newlol: classic

quote:

“The truth is,” Wefald wrote, “no outside academic leader has dented Nebraska’s athletic and academic standing over the years more than [former UT president] Bob Berdahl.

This quote was about the partial qualifier and later sabotage in the AAU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The majority of the AAU voted them out though, it's less about Texas subterfuge and more Eastern snobbery.

ROFL at also thinking the AAU thing was anything other than lip service.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 30, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

quote:

IRVING, Texas – The University of Cincinnati's chances of being invited into the Big 12 Conference hinge on Texas, and it was made clear on Wednesday the league's big boy isn't ready to budge on expansion.

"I personally would like to stay where we are," Texas Athletic Director Mike Perrin said during the conference's annual spring meetings. "I think the Big 12 doesn't have to do anything right now."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Kick Baylor, invite Cincinnati, maintain round-robin schedule.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

go3 posted:

Kick Baylor, invite Cincinnati, maintain round-robin schedule.

Continue naming co-champions and missing the playoffs eternally.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Big 12 just voted unanimously to bring back the conference championship game in 2017. This is not necessarily saying that they will expand, and they still haven't decided on expansion candidates, but the game is back.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The Big 12 just voted unanimously to bring back the conference championship game in 2017. This is not necessarily saying that they will expand, and they still haven't decided on expansion candidates, but the game is back.

That's stupid

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Hot take: ANY* school in the AAC would be an overall upgrade to Baylor, should the Big XII decide to kick them out as a result of their refusal to release a written or Oral PH report.

* except for SMU or Tulsa, which would be a sidegrade and a downgrade respectively.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Hot take: ANY* school in the AAC would be an overall upgrade to Baylor, should the Big XII decide to kick them out as a result of their refusal to release a written or Oral PH report.

* except for SMU or Tulsa, which would be a sidegrade and a downgrade respectively.

Powerful take, but no

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
AAC teams that would be preferable to Baylor:

Houston
Cincinnati
Tulane
UCF
USF
Temple
Navy
Memphis
UConn (begrudgingly)

gently caress:
Baylor
SMU
Tulsa
Baylor

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This can't be said enough gently caress Tulsa

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Swapping Houston for Baylor would be so hilarious that it really has to be done

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Maybe I've missed something, but what the hell is wrong with Tulsa besides association with Todd Graham? To me they'd be vastly more preferable than every other AAC team except Houston, Tulane and Cincinnati.

And don't tease me with the swapping-Baylor-for-Houston fanfic, please.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

TipTow posted:

Maybe I've missed something, but what the hell is wrong with Tulsa besides association with Todd Graham? To me they'd be vastly more preferable than every other AAC team except Houston, Tulane and Cincinnati.

A total garbage school at everything but football is my understanding.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TipTow posted:

Small private university located in a small state that the Big XII already has a stranglehold on. Just in non-gently caress Tulsa terms, everyone should be "gently caress Tulsa".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's basically that Tulsa brings zero to the table in the big picture

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

A total garbage school at everything but football is my understanding.

They're not garbage, they're more like Tulane if you took out everything good and cool about Tulane. Plus they hired Todd Graham twice, and then hired Phil Montgomery so they could become Baylor's scout team.

gently caress Tulsa

100-6 for lyfe

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Neil Armbong posted:

A total garbage school at everything

Like I can't think of one thing that I can go there for and not get a better program at some other university in the state

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Metapod posted:

Like I can't think of one thing that I can go there for and not get a better program at some other university in the state

Their petroleum engineering department is basically the only reason to even think about Tulsa but I bet OU is almost as good and way cheaper

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's a reason I put Tulsa in the not-gonna-happen tier.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Korranus posted:

Their petroleum engineering department is basically the only reason to even think about Tulsa but I bet OU is almost as good and way cheaper

Hell, Wyoming has a solid PE program. And it's cheap, even out-of-state. Go there and get better scenery.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Hell, Wyoming has a solid PE program. And it's cheap, even out-of-state. Go there and get better scenery.

Problem: Your school color would be brown.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

CaptainYesterday posted:

There's a reason I put Tulsa in the not-gonna-happen tier.

tulsa has baylor coaches more Rapensraum for the Wacoreich, go baylor!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Problem: Your school color would be brown.

Wyoming is already a member of the Big XII so I don't know what you guys are talking about.

• Locked thread