Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
power botton
Nov 2, 2011

we're connoisseurs of funny computer here in the yospos, but is there any computer that isn't funny at all? like not a single bit or nibble of funniness in the hole darn thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
its u

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

im not a computer even tho my lack of recognition for common social cues and humans emotions are also common traits with computers

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Look this somber computer here? can you see it cracking jokes, or even being noticed enough to be the brunt of a joke? this looks like a perfectly unassuming, unfunny computer

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pretty much all of them op

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

computers running windows arent funny, theyre sad

just like their users :xd:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
computers are serious business.

serious e-business.
from ibm.

mainframes are never funny

this dude is not kidding around about his business continuity practice

he is multiprise 3000-grade serious
he's straight-up model 240 parallel-sysplex serious

the smile is just to disarm you before he paradigm shifts your punchcard-using rear end

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

*drops mike*

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
much like

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

power botton posted:

Look this somber computer here? can you see it cracking jokes, or even being noticed enough to be the brunt of a joke? this looks like a perfectly unassuming, unfunny computer

i had one of these. it wouldn't start up with more than 2 sticks of ram installed unless there was a special "ram fan" installed. finding that out by accident was very unfunny indeed, op.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

power botton posted:

we're connoisseurs of funny computer here in the yospos, but is there any computer that isn't funny at all? like not a single bit or nibble of funniness in the hole darn thing?

Therac-25.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

Therac-25.

:monocle::monocle:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

chmods please posted:

i had one of these. it wouldn't start up with more than 2 sticks of ram installed unless there was a special "ram fan" installed. finding that out by accident was very unfunny indeed, op.

look at this dolt who doesn't know how to rdram

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
the computer, a massively powerful device that you can use to create or learn almost anything and here we all are shitposting instead

if that isn't inherently funny then ive got some bad news

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

This, anything that runs HPUX is not even a little bit funny, if you ever had to admin one of those pieces of poo poo you need to be checked for clinical depression and suicidal tendencies

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the computer powering stephen hawking

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
any computer that has a cookie to forums.somethingawful.com

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

no i disagree, this is very funny

it is a blade server that takes as much space and power as a regular server, but still costing more. that's fuckin hilarious.

hp. invent.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

yeah blade servers are dumb as poo poo, i remember having to deal with a dell one and an hp one back in the nehalem era

i think the hp one was amd back when opterons were still relevant :rip:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

no that is a current hp product you can buy today

it takes up four "server bays" in an hp blade chassis. so you can choose between 8 itanium2, or 48 xeon cores in the same space.

slow, bulky, and expensive? that's hp innovation

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no that is a current hp product you can buy today

it takes up four "server bays" in an hp blade chassis. so you can choose between 8 itanium2, or 48 xeon cores in the same space.

slow, bulky, and expensive? that's hp innovation

lol

there are probably some federal government contracts that specify blade servers must be used keeping this garbage alive

looks like the same backplane/chassis i was dealing with in 2008

same for dell's poo poo: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-m1000e/pd

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

mishaq posted:

yeah blade servers are dumb as poo poo, i remember having to deal with a dell one and an hp one back in the nehalem era

what is a blade server? is it just a server that goes in a rack as opposed to a standalone tower server?

server hardware is outside of my realm of knowledge. my "server" at home is a micro-atx case with some ram, hard drives, a pentium processor, and debian.

edit: oh, it's apparently not just a regular rack-mounted server

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

craisins posted:

what is a blade server? is it just a server that goes in a rack as opposed to a standalone tower server?

server hardware is outside of my realm of knowledge. my "server" at home is a micro-atx case with some ram, hard drives, a pentium processor, and debian.

edit: oh, it's apparently not just a regular rack-mounted server

a common chassis servers can share power/cooling and with the fancier ones, network and other IO by exposing their pcie lanes to specialized interfaces

there were a couple years where they gave you some density advantages (fit 8 U worth of servers in less than 8 U) but in general they just cause more problems than they solve

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the main problem that they solve is too much money in your wallet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

lol

there are probably some federal government contracts that specify blade servers must be used keeping this garbage alive

looks like the same backplane/chassis i was dealing with in 2008

same for dell's poo poo: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-m1000e/pd

this is no ordinary blade server though

it's an hp proprietary unix blade server, so it's 1/10th the density of an actual blade. now you can combine all the dubious advantages of blades with all the obvious downsides of proprietary unix poo poo from the 1990s

• Locked thread