Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hey, girl
What you doin'?
Hey, girl
Where you goin'?

Who's that girl (who's that girl)?
Who's that girl (who's that girl)?

It's Jess!

Jess and the gang are back! Actually they've been back for two weeks now and we've just now got a thread!

For the uninitiated this was promoted as the show about the "adorkable" Zooey Deschanel as Jess, moving her quirky self into an apartment with three other guys and turning their world upside down! Thankfully the show was only like that for about two or so episodes, then they started letting other characters be funny too- the douchey yet romantic Schmidt (Max Greenfield), the perpetually awkward Winston (Lamorne Morris) who is now a cop, and Nick (Jake Johnson), who is... Nick. There's also Jess' very hot friend Cece (Hannah Simone), who started as a model but is moving into other things. Jess is still goofy and cute but she's not the center of attention, which is good because Zooey Deschanel is pregnant and will be missing several episodes for maternity leave. Megan Fox will be appearing in her absence so let's hope she's funny.

Also Damon Wayans Jr. was also in the pilot, left to do Happy Endings, came back to be a regular last season, but is gone again.

Quick update- Nick is part owner of a bar, Cece works there, and oh yeah, she and Schmidt are engaged. Winston is a cop and Furguson helps with his schedule.

Will look for funny gifs and such to flesh this out, but short version: funny show with a lot of funny people.

Bonus Nadia!

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And Jess got sequestered! Nice way of writing her out.

Also she may be psychic.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Writing her out? Is she leaving the show or something?

EDIT: Nvm actually went and read the OP.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Writing her out? Is she leaving the show or something?

Zooey Deschanel is giving birth (or may have already, I forget the timing) and so needs maternity leave.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Am I misremembering? Back when Cece was having an arranged marriage, didn't everyone meet her mother then? Wasn't she a completely different character from how she's being show this season?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jamesman posted:

Am I misremembering? Back when Cece was having an arranged marriage, didn't everyone meet her mother then? Wasn't she a completely different character from how she's being show this season?

Cece's mom didn't show up for that episode, weirdly enough, but Cece's grandmother did show up I believe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
First Jess-free episode tonight. Title "No Girl".

Though I like her cameo via courtroom artist.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Of all the Rockys?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
If it was only one nut slap, I would have done it for a free trip to Tokyo, tbh.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
You don't know how to make tea?! It's water and leaves!

Also I loved how Fred Armisen's novel inexplicably mirrored Winston's single-boob car encounter. (Not really a fan of Fred Armisen in general, but outside the ending he was fairly innocuous.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 27, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is/Was the woman who plays Cece pregnant as well? She looks really different this season in a way I can't really describe.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Doctor Butts posted:

Is/Was the woman who plays Cece pregnant as well? She looks really different this season in a way I can't really describe.

Is it that she got rid of her bangs?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Like I said, its hard to describe. Maybe its that. Her face looks fuller, but not in the way like she gained any weight.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
They made the title card even worse.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, what the hell is with that? Season 4 was bad enough, making everyone look like they're in a Gap ad, but seriously? Just the title on a black screen?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Did not miss Jess one bit.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Doctor Butts posted:

Nah, Hannah's not pregnant. I didn't really notice a change though, but I've been following her instagram for a while, so I might have just gotten used to it.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Did not miss Jess one bit.

Yeah, Max Greene and the other characters have really just been the focus of the show the last few seasons.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I thought that Cece looked kinda different. Her hair is sort of bouncier without the bangs. It's cute.

I don't mind the new credits. The core cast has changed a bit with Cece and Coach being added, then him leaving, so it makes sense to not waste time with long credits. This season has been pretty good in general so far. I'm looking forward to a few Jess-less episodes.

Vegass.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Jake Johnson directed tonight's ep.

Shall I get the boobie tape?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey hey closing my eyes because I just started season 4 but I'm glad there was a decision to cut back on the improvising that really made season 3 drag towards the end. The characters and performances benefit much better from a tighter script.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What did we do? WHAT IS THIS?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
From the previous episode, but I dig the art:

https://i.imgur.com/4zxyOJF.jpg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Megan Fox starts a short guest stint tonight, but never mind that, Nasim Pedrad again!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say I hated this episode, but I think it's safe to say I didn't not hate it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Maxwell Lord posted:

Megan Fox starts a short guest stint tonight, but never mind that, Nasim Pedrad again!

Not a fan of Megan Fox, I'd rather have Nasim be a regular.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Megan Fox was pretty terrible. Like an unfunny version of Schmidt's girlfriend from last season.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I liked this one, even Megan Fox but mostly the gang's reactions to her.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Winston was on point this episode. As was Nick's shower head.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I liked her. It helps that they're writing her as a cold, distant loner.

"Are you sucking on a block of cheese?"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

She really is too much like Schmidt's ex.

But Winston was great at being the straight man for once.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Winston's the biggest beneficiary of the pared down cast, he actually has stuff to do that relates to the rest of the characters. RIP Coach but it was way better for Winston.

Did they ever say why DWJr left the show?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

From what I recall, he complained about the writers/directors not allowing improv.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

From what I recall, he complained about the writers/directors not allowing improv.

Yeah I actually thought that was a great change from the end of s3 to s4.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm mixed, the improv did lead to one of my favorite jokes of the series; Coach makes a reference to riding his like a "bedonka donkey" and Schmidt's absolutely horrified reaction that Coach would dehumanize someone like that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

She really is too much like Schmidt's ex.

But Winston was great at being the straight man for once.

"Utilities are not included. Just wanted to make sure that didn't get lost in the madness"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Doctor Butts posted:

I thought it was because he was cast in another pilot? And it was Johnson who complained about not being able to do improv?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Are you hiding toilet paper again?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Another great Winston episode. Don't miss Jess at all at this point, even though I am not fond of Fox's character either.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I couldn't believe that was Clea Duvall playing the girlfriend. I didn't recognise her until I read a review.

I don't miss Jess, but Megan Fox continues to annoy, so hmm. The rest of the show has been pretty solid though. I feel they've really come back after a weak season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
To the sausage factory!

• Locked thread