Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo it's Todd.

That boy sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

This was definitely the best use of Reagan so far. I won't be especially sad to see her go, but now at least she's made me laugh a few times so the experiment was worth it.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I thought the latest episode was fantastic

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Prediction: Nick is going to hook up with Reagan in a way that hurts Jess's feelings and they will be estranged for a while before getting together some time in season 6 or at the end of this season.

:ninja: edit: Maybe I am stating the obvious?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Isn't that it for Regan now? She's a travelling rep so I assume she won't be a regular part of the series. I ended up not hating her THAT much. I just have no investment in the character.

I predict a hook up for Nick and Jess at the wedding. I think they'll get back together. The writers got them together a bit too quickly in sitcom terms, so now they've got to pad it out a bit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think she has one or two more episodes?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Am I the only person pleasantly surprised by Fox from the moment she showed up? And I've never liked her other than in Jennifer's Body. I would even say I've actively disliked her.

Maybe it's because I had no idea she was going to be in the show until I watched that first episode with Reagan. Whatever it is, I think she's hilarious and television seems to suit her better than film.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think she has one or two more episodes?

Double post b/c phone. Whatever ep Jess returns on is the one where Fox leaves, iirc. And they don't meet long enough to interact much. Could be misremembering though on that last bit.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

esperterra posted:

Am I the only person pleasantly surprised by Fox from the moment she showed up?

I really don't like her, and have been unimpressed with her in everything I've seen her in, but I was surprised at how thoroughly I've hated her in this show. I detest the schlocky, sit-commy vibe she's brought and the hackneyed dynamics she has with the other characters. I can't wait for her to leave.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I hate her character although I don't know that that's her fault as opposed to just the writing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The sooner Jess comes back, the better.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Pillow Hat posted:

Yeah I hate her character although I don't know that that's her fault as opposed to just the writing.

The writing is pretty terrible. I've not seen Megan Fox in many roles, so not sure if she's usually a decent actor, but she's terrible in this. She's just pouting and delivering her lines in a monotone voice. There's zero chemistry between her and Nick.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SEX BURRITO posted:

The writing is pretty terrible. I've not seen Megan Fox in many roles, so not sure if she's usually a decent actor, but she's terrible in this. She's just pouting and delivering her lines in a monotone voice. There's zero chemistry between her and Nick.

You're seeing the meat of her acting chops. She's got a pretty face and is in good shape so therefore is a successful Hollywood actress.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I think I might be just...done with this show. I made it about five minutes into this most recent episode and realized I was forcing myself to watch out of habit. Everyone is stupid, all the jokes are predictable and flat, the plot is dull and hackneyed. I don't have time in my life for something I so totally do not enjoy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Jess comes back next episode, right? I'd wait and see what happens then. For all the talk of how the show is able to get by without her, it does indeed feel like it's "getting by" -- something is definitely missing.

Winston is getting better material than he's had in a while, so hopefully that develops into something good.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I like the show, I just don't like Megan Fox's character. As far as I'm concerned, the show is typical cable sit-com. Nothing amazing, but something I can definitely enjoy for 23 minutes once a week. Way better than HIMYM, which I got sick of by the end and was frustrated with myself for watching it anyway.

I like the character and I want to know what happens.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I think I might be just...done with this show. I made it about five minutes into this most recent episode and realized I was forcing myself to watch out of habit. Everyone is stupid, all the jokes are predictable and flat, the plot is dull and hackneyed. I don't have time in my life for something I so totally do not enjoy.

My roommates feel the same way. It still gets a laugh or two out of me each episode so I'm just gonna plug along for a while. This may be my last season as well though. Everything is just kind of wearing thin.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it was Jake Johnson's delivery of the circus/little peanut line that drove me over the edge. It felt like some sub-Two and a Half Men level writing, and I'm probably imagining it but I swear I could see the pain Johnson felt at having to deliver it.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I had to rewind like 3 times an episode or two when Schmidt was reacting to Nick's comment about Reagan (I think?) having layers like an orange. That made me laugh heartily.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Phylodox posted:

Winston is still amazing, Nick is awesome when he's not chasing after some random guest star, Jess is usually pretty funny when paired off with another character. I feel like once Jess is back they might get over this hump.

AV Club gave this episode an A. They always seem to have the opposite opinion to me on this show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SEX BURRITO posted:

Winston is still amazing, Nick is awesome when he's not chasing after some random guest star, Jess is usually pretty funny when paired off with another character. I feel like once Jess is back they might get over this hump.

AV Club gave this episode an A. They always seem to have the opposite opinion to me on this show.

AV Club has never said anything is less than a C- in years. I have no idea where they find the reviewers they use, but every single show on TV is apparently always above average.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

AV Club has never said anything is less than a C- in years. I have no idea where they find the reviewers they use, but every single show on TV is apparently always above average.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wow, the first season of Shannara must be as bad as the first book to get a C-.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The AV Club seems to give out loads of A and F reviews nowadays because they're basically click bait. Why read something balanced and thoughtful when you can read a hatchet job or rave.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I still like the show and find it funny. Winston is the best.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's so beautiful ... I feel like I'm inside Cate Blanchett.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was quite funny and they finally found a good vibe for Fox's character.

Also Cece spinning her tale of forbidden love was a highlight.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maxwell Lord posted:

I thought it was quite funny and they finally found a good vibe for Fox's character.

Also Cece spinning her tale of forbidden love was a highlight.

Cece was great. Simone has been killing it all season, and I hope she continues to get as much time with the guys after Jess comes back.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Winston: "Everyone loves police officers!"

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Grade inflation on the avclub makes a degree of sense when you consider they just don't cover shows that are straight up "bad" and without interest to their target demographics. I'm pretty sure they don't cover the latest two and a half men episodes or law and order or whatever, which I imagine wouldn't be chucking out Bs.

I haven't had much of a problem with Megan Fox's character and I think the show is the pretty much the same level of quality it has always been.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I still like the show and find it funny. Winston is the best.

Same here. I could do without Nick banging yet another hot roommate but otherwise the show is as good as it's ever been IMO.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I usually like the episodes set solely in the loft. This one was a bit flat.

I did like Cece's delivery of "scientists have discovered a new kind of butter...... fly."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
New ep tonight!

And if you haven't caught the promos, she's baaaaack...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Page 2! It's War in the Pacific!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Weird. I kinda like Fox better than Jess.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And now I'm hoping they find a way for Reagan to return.

Still, glad to see Jess again.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Jess feels like such a breath of fresh air now. I think the show suffered without her down-to-earth corniness, even though the writing wasn't noticeably worse or anything.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm just over Jess. She lifts right out and everyone else is brings so much humor to the show that she's overshadowed and irrelevant.

Doesn't help that her plots always seem to be separated from everyone else. Like all the other characters interact a lot with each other and their stories connect with one another, and she's always off with her own story. Even tonight, she was running around town with Reagan while everyone else spent time together.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She's always been the worst part of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yeah I am just tired of her manic pixie hipster schtick and those glasses sit way too low on her face and it irks me.

• Locked thread