Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trikker
Sep 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Ein cooler Typ posted:

what should I say to get a prescription for xanax

i'm gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the anime is a serious cause for concern

im afraid the xanax wont do you any good, you need powerful anti-psychotics. maybe tranquilizers. ask your doctor about it he'll be happy to write it given your condition

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The easiest way to get xanax is to ask for "Electro shock therapy" (that's doctor speak for xanax) and absolutely insist on getting it no matter what the psychiatrist warns you.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
just pour your heart out OP and don't lie to your doctor

in the end you'd just be making things harder for yourself cos then you'd constantly worry about it

if you do end up lying to your doc, consider confessing next time. Ain't no shame - Shrinks know people do weird things.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Is the visit your idea or did you get roped into it?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

the great deceiver posted:

psychs generally aren't enthusiastic about handing out xanax in my experience but you might as well make up a story about having severe panic attacks and just run with it.

In 2013 doctors wrote 48,465,000 Xanax prescriptions, making it by millions the most common psychiatric script. It was also number 1 drug in the preceding decade. In sum, 91,167,000 prescriptions were written for the three most popular benzodiazepines: Ativan, Valium and Xanax. On the uppers side, 34,848,000 rxes were written for amphetamines, methylphenidate and their variants. Psychiatric training is bad and psychiatry is one of the few medical professions where one can still make money hand over fist: being a glorified pill dispenser means short appointments, so cram em in.

In short, I'm saying you suck at getting drugs.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 20, 2016

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

don't get it from a psych, go to a GP and describe a panic attack/sleeplessness and they'll give you klonopin or xanax. when i was 18 i tricked a doctor over the course of a year and ended up w/90 1mg klonopin, 90 1mg xanax, 30 70mg vyvanse, and 30 10mg dexedrine. that was quite a year, i tell you what

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I got prescribed xanax and I didn't even have to see a shrink, I literally just told my doctor "I'm stressed" and he put me on 2 medications lol. They're cheap as gently caress too.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just take your weiner out.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i want to go back and get some xanax again but i'm on my parents insurance for another year and i dont think they'd approve

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Frog Act posted:

i want to go back and get some xanax again but i'm on my parents insurance for another year and i dont think they'd approve

Xanax out of pocket is like $20, though that doesn't matter as your medical records are confidential. Benzodiazepine withdrawal is a nightmare fyi for budding pill munchers, though still way, way better than booze. They are really easy to get habituated to which at low doses is not much of a problem but for those who eat them by the handful...well, if you didn't have violent panic attacks and seizures before, you will then.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah when my doc took me off the 6mg a day i had a pretty rough withdrawal, luckily i had been binging on them every month and often took a week or two off so i didn't literally die. it was super irresponsible of him to just cut the script off like that though, in hindsight

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Frog Act posted:

yeah when my doc took me off the 6mg a day i had a pretty rough withdrawal, luckily i had been binging on them every month and often took a week or two off so i didn't literally die. it was super irresponsible of him to just cut the script off like that though, in hindsight

6mg a day is a huge amount of Xanax don't take so much holy poo poo. Yes, though, what your doctor did is incompetent and and borderline negligent.

"Best practice" for the cessation of nearly all psychiatric medications--particularly anxiolytics and antidepressants--is to taper the dose over a period of time. Ideally, initiation of use would be tapered up in small increments to avoid over-medication and side effects. Starting a patient at a mega dose of an antidepressant or stimulant is far too common and can be disastrous.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

im just glad i was adept enough at abusing them not to ever completely gently caress anything up or even black out. it wasn't just xanax though, it was 3mg klonopin / 3mg xanax

i think my record was 16mg or so over three or four hours? when i was 18 sometimes my friend and i would crush them u pand mix them with adderall in these tricolor lines and rail them for a Great Time

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

once we did a shitload of those and convinced some mormon mission people to come hang out in his ratty slum apartment and it was a pretty good time, i think they thought we were gonna kill them

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Frog Act posted:

im just glad i was adept enough at abusing them not to ever completely gently caress anything up or even black out. it wasn't just xanax though, it was 3mg klonopin / 3mg xanax

i think my record was 16mg or so over three or four hours? when i was 18 sometimes my friend and i would crush them u pand mix them with adderall in these tricolor lines and rail them for a Great Time

Not to say what you did was smart (it wasn't), but the primary risk from benzodiazepines is not overdose--as long as they are not combined with another downer, people regularly survive consumption of enormous quantities (they are a common means of suicide attempt). Their risk when taken alone, in terms of mortality, comes from rapid habituation and subsequent withdrawal which can lead to seizures. A seizure while driving, in a bath tub, or even just standing can be fatal. Also, of course, from doing stupid poo poo when high.

Benzodiazepines don't quite interact with lower brain functions in the same way as barbiturates or alcohol e.g. one is less likely to stop breathing or choke on one's vomit. That being said, mortality from withdrawal is rare and benzodiazepines are a very successful replacement for the comically dangerous barbiturates in that respect.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Ein cooler Typ posted:

be honest and you dont want xanax that shits bad and not trippy

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my friend gave me a bunch of ambien because i've been having trouble sleeping and i dont think they have any real abuse potential. a few months ago i tried them and i took 3 once, it didn't do anything but put me to sleep. so now i'm just gonna use them medicinally because goddamn those things give you like a perfect 8 hours

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Realpost: the dude obviously did this to get in her stinky poo poo-filled pants and I don't think we should put this guy on a pedestal for basically not being a sociopath and trying to gently caress a young girl.

E: oops that was supposed to go into the tennis thread

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the first time i went to a psychiatrist i just poured my heart out and got prescribed ativan

i didn't know anything about drugs before that

every time after that when i've been to a regular doctor or pyshiatric doctor and tried to get pills it hasn't worked. i've tried both asking for it and not asking for it

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the first time i went to a psychiatrist i just poured my heart out and got prescribed ativan

i didn't know anything about drugs before that

every time after that when i've been to a regular doctor or pyshiatric doctor and tried to get pills it hasn't worked. i've tried both asking for it and not asking for it

Just tell em how you feel.

Or are you just trying to score drugs for the high?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
i just want to be able to talk to girls without being nervous

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i've found drug availability correlates with the fanciness of a practice and the whiteness of the clientele. when i cut my hair and put on a polo and go to the expensive dentist in the county that has TVs in the ceiling, they always give me a ton of norcos because i'm a Legitimate Person

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ein cooler Typ posted:

lol xanax isn't going to help with that, trust me, I'm a drug abuser.

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Frog Act posted:

Lol your doctor should have his license taken away like loving yesterday holy poo poo

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
I had a doctor when I worked in south Florida constantly send in patients with ridiculous amounts of amphetamines, both in strength and frequency. When questioned why he was writing a prescription for 4 30mg adderall a day for a woman who probably weighed 90 pounds soaking wet, he said he wasn't actually writing the scripts for psychiatric purposes, like severe narcolepsy or something, but cocaine detox. I heard his practice was shut down a few months later.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Someone gave me a xanax bar once. I was all "fuckit I know my drugs."
Spent the next 3 days as a colorblind drooling zombie.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Champenema posted:

Someone gave me a xanax bar once. I was all "fuckit I know my drugs."
Spent the next 3 days as a colorblind drooling zombie.

man what that poo poo lasts like three hours

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Frog Act posted:

man what that poo poo lasts like three hours

if you take a whole bar it can definitely last up to 24 hours with a low tolerance.

Pretty sure I had the same experience when I was introduced to zany xannies.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

x-mas in thermidor posted:

I had a doctor when I worked in south Florida constantly send in patients with ridiculous amounts of amphetamines, both in strength and frequency. When questioned why he was writing a prescription for 4 30mg adderall a day for a woman who probably weighed 90 pounds soaking wet, he said he wasn't actually writing the scripts for psychiatric purposes, like severe narcolepsy or something, but cocaine detox. I heard his practice was shut down a few months later.

hahahah cocaine detox that's rich. 120mgs of amphetamine a day is the largest dose i have ever heard prescribed. Narcolepsy and ADHD rxes usually (and rightly) cap at 40-60mgs a day, and typically those people are quite habituated to the drug, i.e. the anorectic, eugeroic and euphoric effects associated with stimulants are tempered or go away entirely via long term use but not the therapeutic effectiveness. I don't think that amphetamines and amphetamine like drugs are the first choice for narcolepsy treatment any more regardless: modafinil is a way better eugeroic than speed.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

FYI Atavin is in the same class of drug as Xanax its just less fun: takes more time to work but lasts longer.

no pill will help that that won't also make you sloppy and hosed up. you could go to therapy or just (as a shrink might tell you) except that you are nervous around girls and that being nervous isn't going to kill you. a little practice and discovering that rejection isn't a big deal and your nerves will melt away.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

x-mas in thermidor posted:

If the doses had been reasonable this would've been ok, tho? I mean... shrinks are allowed to write non-psych prescriptions, too, aren't they?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ativan is the most distinctive benzo of them all. i had a friend who is bipolar (I guess, he's fine now and hasn't been medicated for years) and benzos generally affected him like everyone else, except for ativan. when he took ativan he would straight up go kinda crazy, like not in a frenetic destructive way, but in a sort of indistinct confused way. he would say strange things, behave oddly, stay up all night, etc etc

only ativan did that to him. his girlfriend also behaved very strangely on it (also bipolar) but she takes xanax all the time and it doesn't make her (any more) stupid than usual

Admiral_eX_laX
Jul 8, 2009

Historically Inaccurate

Frog Act posted:

ativan is the most distinctive benzo of them all. i had a friend who is bipolar (I guess, he's fine now and hasn't been medicated for years) and benzos generally affected him like everyone else, except for ativan. when he took ativan he would straight up go kinda crazy, like not in a frenetic destructive way, but in a sort of indistinct confused way. he would say strange things, behave oddly, stay up all night, etc etc

only ativan did that to him. his girlfriend also behaved very strangely on it (also bipolar) but she takes xanax all the time and it doesn't make her (any more) stupid than usual

wow. how does he manage his illness without medication?

the doctors and therapists I've spoken to have led me to believe that you're never really "fine" - you just have to deal with it every day.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
when i was on ativan i just said gently caress it and stopped going to class and played fallout new vegas all day long

eta: that's how I got an F in history of greece

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Wat if your doctor is a lady?? R u prepared?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
i researched the office beforehand and made sure the doctor is a man

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Yudo posted:

hahahah cocaine detox that's rich. 120mgs of amphetamine a day is the largest dose i have ever heard prescribed. Narcolepsy and ADHD rxes usually (and rightly) cap at 40-60mgs a day, and typically those people are quite habituated to the drug, i.e. the anorectic, eugeroic and euphoric effects associated with stimulants are tempered or go away entirely via long term use but not the therapeutic effectiveness. I don't think that amphetamines and amphetamine like drugs are the first choice for narcolepsy treatment any more regardless: modafinil is a way better eugeroic than speed

Yeah, it was pretty much bullshit all around and his door was rightfully kicked in by the DEA. Iirc, 120mg/day is the highest one could possibly legally prescribe. You're right on the last part too, Nu/Provigil are the front line treatments for narcolepsy or what they call shift disorders where people go from graveyard to day shifts.

DeepQantas posted:

If the doses had been reasonable this would've been ok, tho? I mean... shrinks are allowed to write non-psych prescriptions, too, aren't they?
It's not that they can't write prescriptions to treat disorders or what have you outside of their field (I've seen, for example cardiologists write scripts for chronic pain), but every prescription has to be medically justifiable. Cocaine withdrawals aren't even an off label use for adderall. So I mean, there's nothing stopping a pharmacist from filling those scripts, or scripts from obvious pain clinics, but the pharmacist is gonna have a fun time explaining why those scripts were filled when their pharmacy gets audited.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Yudo posted:

In 2013 doctors wrote 48,465,000 Xanax prescriptions, making it by millions the most common psychiatric script. It was also number 1 drug in the preceding decade. In sum, 91,167,000 prescriptions were written for the three most popular benzodiazepines: Ativan, Valium and Xanax. On the uppers side, 34,848,000 rxes were written for amphetamines, methylphenidate and their variants. Psychiatric training is bad and psychiatry is one of the few medical professions where one can still make money hand over fist: being a glorified pill dispenser means short appointments, so cram em in.

In short, I'm saying you suck at getting drugs.

wow ok you sure owned me. maybe doctors don't like prescribing me medication due to my long, colorful and documented history of drug abuse and stints in rehab and prison. anyway my original point was skip the middleman and order this poo poo off the internet op. if you want it so bad why waste your time and the psychs time honestly.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
try faking it op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

i'm not sure what disease I have

whichever one causes me to be a 25 year old virgin

well, you have an anime avatar for one