Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

the trump tutelage posted:

given the obscene structural inequality and excessive state violence they encounter.

Do you have any data on this? I mean, I know we get lots of sensationalized news stories about unarmed blacks being shot by cops, but that's not exactly an objective measure. Most of the FBI stats I've seen seem to indicate that blacks aren't actually disproportionately targeted by police in most jurisdictions, that unarmed whites are shot just as often, and that if anything cops are now *less* likely to shoot at a black suspect than a white suspect under identical circumstances because they're afraid of being the next Darren Wilson and the social pariah status that entails.

Just to be clear I do support the concept of reparations for slavery to black Americans as a simple matter of principle, but I don't share the assumption (which isn't necessarily being made itt) that reparations would make any kind of significant positive change to modern black lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

theratking posted:

For it to be proportionate by population, there should be 5x unarmed white shootings per every unarmed black shooting, no?

Yes but only if both races commit crimes at the same rate per capita. Statistically blacks commit more violent crime per capita, but the reasons for that are heavily debated and could easily be due to the police targeting black communities more often and more heavily. Thus more encounters with police, thus more shootings of suspects by police.

• Locked thread