Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Based on the (wildly popular) books by Diana Gabaldon, and brought to you by the maker of Battlestar Galactica, Ronald A. Moore. Music by Bear McCreary. Outlander is a sci-fi / romance / costume drama. It's not just for your mom (but she probably likes it too).

We don't have to pretend the books don't exist, but if you want to just talk books, there's a forum for that. Future events should be spoiler tagged (as always). Season Two is based on the book Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon.

Please keep discussion of upcoming events for Season Two behind spoiler tags and mark that they are (s2 - trailer) or (s2 - book) spoilers. Please keep book talk to a minimum.

For those who have already watched S1, here are the trailers for S2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVw1QI178Wk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3VtNOjrqeQ

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Can't wait for this to come back. Started watching this show last year because my wife loved the books and thought we'd both enjoy it. drat, was she right. A really excellent show, straddling a few different genres depending on the episode, and nailing each one.

Thanks for making the new thread.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Can't wait for this to come back. Started watching this show last year because my wife loved the books and thought we'd both enjoy it. drat, was she right. A really excellent show, straddling a few different genres depending on the episode, and nailing each one.

The old thread got archived thanks to the huge gap between seasons, thanks a lot STARZ! :argh: I got my husband to watch this show after the midseason break last year (caught up during the break), and he really enjoyed it as well. There really is something for just about everyone.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

New trailer, and a premiere date!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/11/outlander-season-2-trailer-premiere-date

Outlander Season 2 will begin on April 9th.

I'm really interested in how they're planning on handling the (minor spoiler) age makeup. I hope they do a good job, it's an easy thing to mess up. If you've read the book you know it starts right off with (big spoiler)Claire back in her own time, and flashes back and forth in the narrative as she tells her story. I wonder if they're going to stick with that format, or spring that on us later on in the season rather than right off the bat? They only just cast Brianna.

The new trailer does reveal that she returns home.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm only about halfway through Dragonfly in Amber and I think there was another spoiler in the trailer too I didn't realize, or is different from the book? Murtagh also knows she's from the future?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm only about halfway through Dragonfly in Amber and I think there was another spoiler in the trailer too I didn't realize, or is different from the book? Murtagh also knows she's from the future?

I can't remember for sure, but I don't think that Murtagh knew as well.

I have updated the OP for season 2 :woop:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

hollylolly posted:

I can't remember for sure, but I don't think that Murtagh knew as well.

I have updated the OP for season 2 :woop:

According to my wife, who's read the books, they tell Murtagh to get his help stopping the rebellion, and because they can trust him, being Jamie's clansman.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

According to my wife, who's read the books, they tell Murtagh to get his help stopping the rebellion, and because they can trust him, being Jamie's clansman.

Makes sense. It's been a couple years since I read it, so the details are murky. :)

Edit: STARZ has made a gallery of some pictures of the sumptuous costumes from this upcoming season. http://www.outlandercommunity.com/index.php?f=vogue&s=0

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 4, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I am in the same boat. We marathoned it on Amazon after she had read a couple of the books.

Brutally good.

How can this be so good, yet GoT so bad?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: S2 E1 Through a Glass, Darkly :siren:

Claire and Jamie enter the lavish world of French society in an effort to infiltrate the Jacobite rebellion led by Prince Charles Stuart and prevent the battle of Culloden.

Episode is available two days early via STARZ streaming. I think if you watch it before the 9th just leave your discussion behind spoiler tags?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

An interesting approach for the premiere, with the jump ahead to her return. I guess they wanted to establish that she does go back and is (at least reasonably) happy in the future, so the story could unfold without that hanging over it. Also presumably they didn't want that low-key, vaguely depressing epilogue to actually be the end of the series instead of the expected emotional goodbye between Claire and Jamie.

It does seem to shorten the narrative timeframe of the show though, since she's pregnant when they get to France and still not showing when she returns to the future. Seems like they have maybe a couple of months left in the past at most.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I loved the first episode. The book is also framed in this fashion, with the reveal that she returns to the future in the beginning before you jump back to when they're arriving in France. It's a little different, but I won't spoil it. I love that they gave Tobias Menzie all those great emotional scenes with Claire, and I think he acted the poo poo out of it. Caitriona was fantastic as well in the scenes from 1948, with all that pain and trying to learn to trust a face that she spent all last season finally learning NOT to trust.

And apparently Claire can't go too long without pissing off someone new by being bullheaded about something. :lol:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God drat that opener. "I wished I were dead."

What a bleak start to the new season but then we get back to the past and all is well!...(for now :ohdear: i seriously dread the future of this storyline)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm a book reader, though I only started after the first half of last season, and I'm on book 6 or something so Dragonfly in Amber is hazy.

Knowing that, I enjoyed how the ep started with her freaking out asking about Culloden. My bf is also watching (isn't reading the books) and he had me pause the show to explain what she was talking about. BUT then they explained it better through the narrative rather quickly, which I thought they handled well. You feel disoriented at first like Claire, but then slowly get your groundings. I don't remember from last season, but did they cover Mrs. Graham and her knowing about all the metaphysical stuff? Because in this episode she obviously does and I just didn't remember those scenes from last season if they made that super apparent.

Frank seemed a little extra angry to me, unreasonably so (and this isn't the book reading talking, because I honestly don't really remember this part in detail). Especially with the almost hitting going on...I think the show has only shown him in a pretty calm, favorable light until now, so it was a little surprising.

Jared and Jamie's interactions were perfect.

Looking forward to the rest of the season ahhhh!

edit: I also really enjoyed how they changed up the opening theme, having some of it in French. Not a lot of shows customize the opening credits for each season. <3 Bear McCreary

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 10, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I like how the opening credits use glimpses of upcoming scenes from the whole season. :)

Last season Mrs Graham read Claire's palm and then Frank and Claire see her with the other women in white dancing around the standing stones. She believes in the power of the stones, so she is Claire's confidante when she returns.

These are minor book spoilers: In the book we never "see" Frank's reaction, we're only told about it. The show has (wisely, imo) chosen to actually show her return.

Bigger book/show spoilers: In the beginning of Dragonfly in Amber, Claire returns to Scotland some 18 years after her return through the stones with her red haired daughter. She meets Roger Wakefield, the little boy we see calling the Reverend "father" (his nephew he is raising after his parents died in the war), and relates to him the tale of her return. I imagine we'll see this later on, as those characters have been cast.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Even though I don't watch the show anymore, I've really been digging tom & lorenzo's breakdown of the costume design a la Mad Men: http://tomandlorenzo.com/tag/outlander-style/

I've read some interviews with Terry Dreisbach, and detail & scope of the costuming for is impressive. That woman is some kind of genius.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

That's a really great link, thanks for posting it! I love the costuming of this show. :swoon:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Baby Fergus :3

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
My wife introduced me to Terry Dresbach's blog, where she breaks down how she works on the costumes. It's fascinating stuff. Potential minor spoilers after the link (the most recent post is about Master Raymond).

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Charles Stuart is so well done, on the one hand he's a buffoon straight out of Blackadder but there is this fire burning in him that makes him so dangerous. He's a zealot for his cause (which happens to be himself) and you just see him filing away in his head every slight and comment made to be paid back a thousand times over once he is king. I'm curious to see what St. Germain's plans are, it's a bit much to be so vindictive over a lost ship. Maybe he's from the future too, or the past as his wife is Poruun from Vikings.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Goddamnit, St Germain looks way too much like Ben Stiller in Zoolander. Charles Stuart is awesome though, as is most of the extra cast that was on this episode, Duke Sandrian? and the two fat french brothers especially.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

St. Germain's face when Claire walked into the room at the dinner party was great. Like he'd seen a ghost!

Alex Randall is just the right amount of earnest, innocent romantic to be the perfect match for poor Mary Hawkins, though he really shouldn't have started wrestling with her, poor thing. I also love how Murtaugh just wades into the situation without really knowing what's going on and starts laying out fools. Can't wait for next week and the conclusion of the fight. :D

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I love how Jamie's blood lust is so earnest and matter-of-fact and boyish at the same time lol

The dynamics between everyone during dinner were fantastic.

I keep finding myself laughing out loud at stuff that isn't really meant to be humorous. Like Jamie's reaction to finding out about Black Jack, some of the comments at dinner, etc. I know what's going to happen storywise but I still find things surprising and amusing I guess!

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

I just blasted through all of season 1 and was surprised that the show is only 4 episodes into season 2... for some reason I thought there were 3 seasons! It's a great show, and I love how the dog is basically a character.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Norse Code posted:

I just blasted through all of season 1 and was surprised that the show is only 4 episodes into season 2... for some reason I thought there were 3 seasons! It's a great show, and I love how the dog is basically a character.

Yeah, there was a huge gap between the two halves of season 1, so it feels like 3 instead of 2.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Thankfully Starz is not subjecting us to a divided season this year, part of the reason why there was such a huge gap between season 1 and 2, I think. Season 1 had about six months (or was it nine?) between the two halves, and then Season two only rolled around a year after that.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'm mostly looking forward to seeing myself opening a door for Prince Charles Edward Stewart later on in the series.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: S2 E5 Untimely Resurrection

Claire and Jamie reunite and attempt to extinguish fires until Claire makes an unexpected change of course; Jamie and Claire's relationship is tested when the past rears its ugly head.

Going to have to watch tonight's episode later, but it sounds like Black Jack is going to show up in this episode, or Claire will make her demand of Jamie regarding Randall. Or both!

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

The scene in the garden was so tense and good.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Yeah, that was a great scene. And I love the King, how he's just so incredibly stylish, and how he effortlessly put Randall in his place.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The King getting his jollies on with Randall was awesome, such a oval office.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

I know both Tom & Lorenzo and Terry Dresbach's websites have been linked, but Tom & Lorenzo recently interviewed Terry Dresbach about the costuming in Outlander. It's a pretty good interview!

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2016/04/po...ander-costumes/

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: S2 E6 Best Laid Schemes

Jamie and Claire use Claire's medical knowledge to come up with a scheme to stop a deal which could fill the war chest; Claire learns Jamie has gone back on his word.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

RIP Black Jack Randall: He got stabbed in the dick so hard that he died of being stabbed in the dick

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

Dang, so much happened in this episode! We got a heist, a foot rub (magically not mad at each other again?), a dick stab duel, sex, a smallpox ruse, etc! Oh yeah, and now Murtagh knows!

I hope Fergus is ok. And that magic man.

Norse Code fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 17, 2016

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Just started watching this as season two started and I am now caught up. Bear really makes this, Black Sails, BSG come to life. I think sound track composers do not get enough credit. My wife demanded me to get her all the book for her b day so shes going to get spoiled big time.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

That was a drat good episode right there. And they even cracked the secret of how to make the worst person in the world even worse: turns out it's child rape!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Finally watched last week's episode so I'm just one behind again - I just love watching this book coming to life. I do feel like Claire gotta whole lot more pregnant overnight, however, comparing her look at Versailles the episode before to her look in this one.

Couldn't watch two in a row so the episode that aired tonight will have to wait. :ohdear: I love Fergus, that rascally scamp.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

ShakeZula posted:

That was a drat good episode right there. And they even cracked the secret of how to make the worst person in the world even worse: turns out it's child rape!

One of these days poor Tobias Menzies is going to get beat up while shopping and he'll refuse to press charges and totally understand, that's how terrible Black Jack Randall is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Claire sure got the royal treatment.

• Locked thread