Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Man, over-the-top supervillainy is one thing, and so is being a complete monster, but Richard Hawk seems to get up every morning and Google 'evil' to find something to do with his day. Like, he doesn't do it because it cements his powerbase or because he's just that twisted, but because he's trying to fill out some sort of bingo card of evil acts. I bet he doesn't wash his hands after peeing either. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hoss Corncave posted:

Jody really has no concept of tact, does she?

I dunno, I always thought it was kind of endearing that Jody was at times a bigger, crazier sociopath than Richard ever was :allears:

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Part 7 post has now been fully updated.

Ardeem posted:

How are the tier two flamethrowers looking for a repeat of the great Chicago fire?
I can say it's looking very good as one of those models actually mitigates the Flamethrower's general flaw of very narrow lock on sights. And it still burns super good.

Though the tricky part now will be getting all the hostages and energy pods in one take, because yes, it's another race against the clock much like Alcatraz. But eh, I'm up for it.

Samovar posted:

Selling residents of Miami into white slavery? Who does Richard Hawk think he is? Barack Obama?
Maybe it's all just to weed out Florida Man. I hear he's bad news for the current regime.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Ah, that's sweet. They named the coral after the captain who was actually a general, and who committed crimes against humanity cuz soldiers gotta soldier.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Mission 8: Chicago

Machinegun

Minigun - EN Type

Equipped with energy rounds. Fires
an immense number of bullets with
low energy consumption. Destroys
enemy defenses completely.

Assault Rifle

Commando

Developed by the US Navy and
Swiss Sig. Based on a durable
design with improved range and
attack power.

Missile Launcher

Javelin

Infantry portable anti-tank
weapon. Much superior to the
ML6ST, this launcher boasts
improved damage and range.

Javelin - Anti Aircraft

ML14JA modified for air attacks
only. Its angle of fire is too high to
use against ground troops.

Flamethrower

Flamethrower - Heat Rays Type

FLT550 with long range abilities.
Attack radius has been lowered to
increase targeting range.

Infantry

Soldier Gasmask
Another infantry type whose only distinguishing feature is the gas masks that they wear. Otherwise, attack wise they're the same as normal infantry, carrying an M4A1. Pretty much exist to fight in areas such as this where poison gas is involved.

BGM

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

:911:

Also can we please get as the thread tag

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 14, 2016

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hahahaha, good grief, Richard has such a goofy supervillain laugh going on!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
In light of recent events, I imagine Richard would have built some mega fortress and designate that as the only school in the city, instead of blowing them up. Attendance and an activist fervor is mandatory.

Richard has a great laugh.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tonfa posted:

Also can we please get as the thread tag

Oh wow. That's still around? I remember that from when Genpei did his MWC LP.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Admittedly, as I was putting together the text for the Peter MacDonald reports, the god made of steel quote made me envision Mazinger Z standing in the middle of Chicago, and now my mind can't stop thinking about how amazing a Super Robot Wars game would be if Metal Wolf was in it. Hey, if Virtual On was good enough to get a brief spot in Alpha 3, this game sure has hell can too!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Hahahaha, good grief, Richard has such a goofy supervillain laugh going on!
I honestly can't decide which laugh I prefer more, Richard Hawk's or Bryan Fury's. The latter I feel especially partial to because I share the same first name. But Richard's, man...dude loving loves his poo poo.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

ArclightBorealis posted:

Admittedly, as I was putting together the text for the Peter MacDonald reports, the god made of steel quote made me envision Mazinger Z standing in the middle of Chicago, and now my mind can't stop thinking about how amazing a Super Robot Wars game would be if Metal Wolf was in it. Hey, if Virtual On was good enough to get a brief spot in Alpha 3, this game sure has hell can too!
I honestly can't decide which laugh I prefer more, Richard Hawk's or Bryan Fury's. The latter I feel especially partial to because I share the same first name. But Richard's, man...dude loving loves his poo poo.

Virtual On was awesome. Marz, not so much, but OM, OT, and Force were all solid.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Someone else pointed out to me once that what made Virtual On interesting was that despite its 3D playing field, it used projectiles the same way most 2D fighters use projectiles. That is to say, they're a huge immediate threat that must be dodged, blocked or dealt with somehow that take up a lot of real estate on the screen.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Speedball posted:

Someone else pointed out to me once that what made Virtual On interesting was that despite its 3D playing field, it used projectiles the same way most 2D fighters use projectiles. That is to say, they're a huge immediate threat that must be dodged, blocked or dealt with somehow that take up a lot of real estate on the screen.

Yeah, the game had more 2D fighting game sensibility than you might think at first glance. If I remember right, the dash (which you needed to cover ground at any useful rate) moved you a fixed distance as well, which meant you could play the sort of position games that the pro fighting game players use.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Speedball posted:

Pretty much. Left weapon bombs and grenades that characters like Temjin and Apharmd had weren't big damage dealers like their central and right weapons, but they would create a large field on screen which would negate a lot of projectiles and be used as a shield. I think they would even stop Raiden's lasers (at least in OM). In OT, left weapons had an increased use, which was to strip V-Armour (a secondary armour introduced in OT. It was introduced to stop faster Virtualroids from being able to blitz slower characters with weak projectiles that makes those projectiles bounce off and do no damage.

FredMSloniker posted:

Yeah, the game had more 2D fighting game sensibility than you might think at first glance. If I remember right, the dash (which you needed to cover ground at any useful rate) moved you a fixed distance as well, which meant you could play the sort of position games that the pro fighting game players use.

This is also correct, and each Virtualroid had a different length dash. Also, you could change your direction mid dash and do a cube dash or a zigzag dash or u dash or whatever.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

So I know it's been a few weeks since the last update, and for those wondering when it might be, I have run into some issues in terms of health that have prevented things from happening. I have been dealing with sciatica in my right leg for a couple weeks now and while that shouldn't prevent me from being able to record and edit footage for the LP (in fact the raw video has been recorded as of last weekend), it has however caused problems for me in terms of being able to sustain myself, living in a cramped rear end studio apartment on the fourth floor of a building with no elevator.

Needless to say, I'm not gonna be able to work on this LP for the foreseeable future as I can't live comfortably or safely in my apartment with my current condition, and it's more than likely that I'll have to go to rehab or something until my leg is back to normal. It's no fun, and I certainly don't enjoy how I've slowed way down on updating this LP anyway, but whatever it's a hobby that I do when I've got the time and I have other projects I like to devote my time to as well. But I will resume this eventually, just most likely not any time during this month.

Wish me a speedy recovery.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Best of luck and a speedy recovery.

Keep believing your American Justice. :911:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Hope you feel better man and BELIEVE IN YOUR OWN JUSTICEWELLNESS :911:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Take care of yerself big yin. No need to put your health at inconvenience over an LP, after all.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This is why I always wish for computer issues.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
Sciatica is bullshit and I eagerly await the days when we can have cool cyborg spines that don't loving cripple us for like a month because we slept funny one night.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well drat. Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets better soon and you can get your life back to normal.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Normally I would echo what everyone said and say I understand and life come first and that you should take care of yourself, but that's so blase. Would you mind if I grossly overreact and threaten your parents instead?

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

:patriot:I'M BACK, AMERICA!!

Mission 9: Houston

Assault Rifle

Commando - Long Range Type

SG552 with much improved firing
range. In addition to improved
range and attack power, the sights
have also been widened.

Bazookas

Carl Gustaf

Developed in 1946 by the Swedish,
this 84mm recoilless launcher is
designed for use by infantry against
heavy weapon platforms. High
muzzle velocity and attack power.

Carl Gustaf - Explode Type

M2 launcher that fires 3 diffuse
shots. A close range weapon, as
each individual shot is low in attack
power and range.

Multi Missiles

ASURA16 - QLS Loading

MML16 modified with a special
quick lock on system. Shortened
targeting but with the power of 16
tanks.

Air Vehicles

XH34 OLAJIWON
An overly large air carrier that couldn't even bother to spell "Olajuwon" the correct way. Compared to other air vehicles in the game, its armaments and launch bays can be individually destroyed by Metal Wolf's attacks.

Mecha

Cyborg C17S
These cyborgs have sniper rifles, a weapon the regular infantry don't have access to. The damage isn't a concern so much as the stagger that comes from getting hit by each shot, as it can knock Metal Wolf out of any action it's currently in. More annoying than deadly, at least at this point in the game.

BGM

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm glad to see you're back and hope you're doing better!

America always triumphs!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can't have bread lines when there are plenty of resources to go around.
The resources you can get from nearby celestial objects are several times greater than what you can dig from the Earth. Why the government got greedy over that is boggling.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I spent far too much of that video wondering where you got that strange spelling when the voice actors were clearly saying "Elijah One."
It's good to have you back fighting for our American Justice, Mr. President.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
:neckbeard: Glad to see this back!

And yeah, I've always heard it as Elijah One as well.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This LP is now more relevant than ever, what with how U.S. politics are, glad to see it back.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can't have bread lines when there are plenty of resources to go around.
The resources you can get from nearby celestial objects are several times greater than what you can dig from the Earth. Why the government got greedy over that is boggling.

It's Richard loving Hawk we're talking about here, he forced rationing just because he could and probably shot everything they saved from the rationing into space.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Mission 10: New York City

No new weapons because I'm a stingy bastard and need all the rare metals I can get.

Infantry

Soldier Shield
Regular soldiers but with heavy duty riot shields that not even Metal Wolf can boost through (how heavy must that be?). These enemies are thrown in at this point to mix up your tactics and force you to hit them from behind. Thankfully the radius from Metal Wolf's dive kick is very effective at hitting them from any angle behind them.

Mecha

Autoarms N200
An upgrade over the smaller B300 model, they aren't designed to work as target seeking land mines and instead function as automated robot tanks. Like Tachikomas. Except not as endearing.

CASPARAITIS
A giant hexaped robot whose energy cannon can one shot Metal Wolf no matter how many energy shields he has. Other than, it can deploy small Autoarms and fire missile salvos. Also a misspelling of Kasparaitis, as in former NHL player Darius Kasparaitis. Guess it's not just the NBA, someone on the development team at FROM just really loves sports.

BGM

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
We start out with Richard hamming it up, and end with the propaganda announcer getting super excited about the prospect of executing everybody who's even tangentially associated with a Metal Wolf sympathizer. I love how absurdly, hilariously evil this regime is.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Grand Canyon marker in the news update at the end places it in the middle of Utah. This is especially strange considering that it's placed in the right location on the regular map.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The Grand Canyon marker in the news update at the end places it in the middle of Utah. This is especially strange considering that it's placed in the right location on the regular map.

The reason is the vice-president had it extended, possibly with slave labor.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I was going to make some comment about Japan and not knowing US geography, but

SIGSEGV posted:

The reason is the vice-president had it extended, possibly with slave labor.

This makes too much goddamn sense for Metal Wolf Chaos. It can't NOT be true.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Alpha3KV posted:

We start out with Richard hamming it up, and end with the propaganda announcer getting super excited about the prospect of executing everybody who's even tangentially associated with a Metal Wolf sympathizer. I love how absurdly, hilariously evil this regime is.

I'm trying to work out how many people would fall under the category of "linked to Metal Wolf in those ways". I could see Richard demanding everyone in the country be killed for whatever reason.

Also, Michael shouting "RICHAAARD!" at the start was especially amusing to me this time.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'm trying to work out how many people would fall under the category of "linked to Metal Wolf in those ways". I could see Richard demanding everyone in the country be killed for whatever reason.

I wouldn't put it past him to threaten Michael in the last level with a deadman switch for the entire United States. Nukes, maybe. Some sort of "if I can't have it, no one will" thing.

Also, whoever's doing these propaganda announcements? Either they're secretly Metal Wolf sympathizers, or they're as cartoonishly evil as Richard, because those visuals? Those are not nice visuals. Those are not visuals designed to convince people that Richard is in the right. Those are 'we're putting skulls on our uniforms' visuals.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nothing like putting cackling skulls on your uniform while sipping some nice darjeeling tea, Michael!

Richard gives no fucks about not appearing hilariously evil. Look at how he unleashed a giant spider bot on New York for reasons best summed up with 'lol'.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Richard has a great voice for evil.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

BGM

Intermission: Metal Wolf in Despair?

At this point, there's no longer any option of which mission we get to choose (or rather what order I choose to do them in). This is the final stretch and the missions you'll see are in the order the developers intended.

Along with those final missions, I'll finally begin developing the last tier of weapons, but it won't be possible to immediately make an entire load out consist of them due to expenses. Instead I put it to you guys which weapon type you want me to develop. Tier 2 weapons will still be in effect, but these new and better weapons will still be my primary tools in the coming missions. If I had stuck to my original plan of getting enough cash and metals to develop everything, then this playthrough would go on forever, and I'd feel like less of an American if I dragged out this conflict any longer than it needs to be.

State your choice in bold. The original post has all the basic weapon info, but at this point I don't really need to remind you all what the pros and cons of each type is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Grenades. No need to aim to make stuff blow up.

• Locked thread