Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Vitalis Jackson posted:

This isn't necessarily so, for several reasons. The existence of this planet--let's call in Melancholia--was actually postulated based upon certain orbital characteristics of trans-Neptunian objects. It was noted that these objects seemed to have shared points of perihelion relative to the planets. This was unlikely to occur without outside influence, and appears to be nonrandom. The perihelion of Melancholia is supposed to be outside of the orbits of the inner planets.

Also, we don't know how long Melancholia has been in this orbit around the sun. There is no reason it would have to be a "charter member" of the original solar system; it could have been gathered relatively recently. Alternatively, the current orbit may not have been the original one if it has been affected by a near encounter with one of the known planets. Possible evidence for a prior encounter include the odd state of Venus insofar as rotation, axial tilt, and intensely dense atmosphere; the disappearance of Martian oceans; the asteroid belt; Saturn's ring structure; Uranus's and Neptune's axial tilts and rotation; Pluto's non-circular orbit and inclination to the orbital plane.

There are several evidentiary examples that support the idea of Melancholia's existence.

Love,
Vitalis

the model of formation for the solar system that we rely on at the moment predicts that a 5th gas giant was ejected from its orbit early on.

it could be we've just found where it went

could also be something we picked up from another passing star. a neighbor star passes through the oort cloud every 10 million years or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The Whole Internet posted:

the model of formation for the solar system that we rely on at the moment predicts that a 5th gas giant was ejected from its orbit early on.

it could be we've just found where it went

could also be something we picked up from another passing star. a neighbor star passes through the oort cloud every 10 million years or so

This all sounds very logical but I think we should at least give equal credence to the notion that this planet is Jesus.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

reignofevil posted:

This all sounds very logical but I think we should at least give equal credence to the notion that this planet is Jesus.

Don't be silly, Jesus is just a made up story for children. This is Nirubu. http://www.zetatalk.com/

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I9blXQEHyw

loving super science

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
if we know what all the planets are doing now and the laws of physics at that scale are all deterministic and time reversable just put in the data points and run it backwards and it will tell you how many planets got made in the beginning

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

naem posted:

It's just that we've known the orbits of all the planets since like the 1500's I'm pretty sure someone would have noticed the effects of an extra giant magnet out there

Uranus was discovered in 1781. Neptune was discovered in 1846. Pluto wasn't discovered until 1930.

And the existence of this potential new planet is being inferred by its gravitational effects on other objects. So someone has noticed the effects of an "extra giant magnet" out there.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the regular 'poo poo being throw at us' cycle was due to us dipping above and below the galactic plane?

Even crazy far out, wouldn't something that large make the sun or other planets wobble even slightly?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
astronomy is so boring

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Second Sun posted:

I thought the regular 'poo poo being throw at us' cycle was due to us dipping above and below the galactic plane?

Even crazy far out, wouldn't something that large make the sun or other planets wobble even slightly?

no, because 99.9% of the mass of the solar system is in the sun, and most of the rest is Jupiter. a Neptune sized-planet that far away is basically nothing

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

no, because 99.9% of the mass of the solar system is in the sun, and most of the rest is Jupiter. a Neptune sized-planet that far away is basically nothing

Ok, so I assume the excuse for it not being found is that all our asteroid looking poo poo is pointed at the ecliptic plane while this is probably perpendicular to it?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Second Sun posted:

There's a theory that the Earth is traversing the galactic plane regularly, because at the time that seemed like the best explanation. If there's a sizable body interacting with the Oort cloud, that's an even better explanation. Instead of assuming we hit clouds of debris in a huge universe randomly, this theory already knows where the debris is, and now possibly we know how it's being interacted with.

Possibly.

Also, pro tier username/post

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Second Sun posted:

Ok, so I assume the excuse for it not being found is that all our asteroid looking poo poo is pointed at the ecliptic plane while this is probably perpendicular to it?

It's at least 10 times as far away as Neptune, so it gets 1/100th of the sunlight, and reflects 1/10000th. And it moves so little it was basically still in the same place when we started seriously looking at that area of space 30ish years ago.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Also, pro tier username/post

:ssh: I wont be cool if anyone figures out what it's really from.

peak debt posted:

It's at least 10 times as far away as Neptune, so it gets 1/100th of the sunlight, and reflects 1/10000th. And it moves so little it was basically still in the same place when we started seriously looking at that area of space 30ish years ago.

Ah, so we won't find it until we map the whole sky once a decade for a century and a computer finally picks up the movement.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
gently caress, it's not even halfway through the orbit it started when we developed agriculture.

That's how big and slow this theoretical orbit is.

e- it's ~1/3 of the way around

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

gently caress, it's not even halfway through the orbit it started when we developed agriculture.

That's how big and slow this theoretical orbit is.

e- it's ~1/3 of the way around

Fair enough. It's not really that obvious though. Considering we found Eris and Makemake, and they're tiny, while this thing is supposed to be huge.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Huge compared to us, even Jupiter is tiny for us to spot at that distance. I mean, this is a light year away, roundabouts.

10 Earth masses is a relatively small planet, not only in our neighborhood but among discovered exoplanets as well. The planetary average is far larger, or so it seems.

e- this may be because of how difficult it is to spot exoplanets, the larger ones will of course be easier to see

Altair Knight
Jun 1, 2006

A misanthrope posted:

its niburu!!! we called david icke crazy, but who's crazy now huh??

dats planet x man. Been saying man. But Man don't listen like that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The news that there may be a sleeper planet in our solar system ready to seditiously infiltrate us is terrifying, I hope we nuke it

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:phone: Hello nasa? Yeah I would like to order the missing black keys for my piano. Alright great thanks, mmmmbye.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I just got some black hole myself

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Holy poo poo, a white dwarf - riding a scooter

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

institutionalised racism is a dark matter, and not something a white person can measure or perceive

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

I mean, this is a light year away, roundabouts.

The upper bound of the proposed object's aphelion is 1200 AU, less than 2% of a lightyear. Fag.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Dang, that's pretty far out there. Aside from long-period comets, Sedna is the most distant object in the solar system that we know about. On the off chance it exists, this thing is going to be really hard to find.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

emoji posted:

The upper bound of the proposed object's aphelion is 1200 AU, less than 2% of a lightyear. Fag.

Well I misheard wrong so thanks for the correction, and what your dad and I do is none of your business

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

XMNN posted:

about time americans stepped up their game and discovered a planet

welcom to 1781 bitches

Hey I don't see your dump country discovering anything out there why don't you discover my foot in your rear end

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

gary oldmans diary posted:

astronomy is so boring

why dont you f*** of

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Black holes are cool as poo poo imo. Just a big ole' gravity well eating everything that drifts near.

I hope a black hole eats Earth ones billion years from now

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im going to gently caress the planet

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Technically it would contribute to the Sun's wobble, but is so small compared to the Sun and so far out that the wobble is probably almost immeasurable.

And it's existence is being inferred based on its gravitational effects, so...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have an irrational fear that all our space flights and orbital maneuvers are stealing kinetic energy from the planets/moons (this is true) but my fear is that in like 200 years when/if spaceflight is a common thing we'll gently caress up the mechanics of the solar system to the point that we'll cause major catastrophes (like planets colliding or something).

I know rationally that it would require like trillions and trillions of slingshots and whatever and the sun will be long since nova'd before this is even remotely a concern but still.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm more worried about relativistic weapons

why nuke when you can huck a rock from space?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Toadvine posted:

Hey I don't see your dump country discovering anything out there why don't you discover my foot in your rear end

uh hirschel found the first planet in thousands of years and its only sporting to let the bitch countries pick up the scraps

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

guys i really want to call it planet X

i think we should

nibiru

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

VikingSkull posted:

Because the nuke will take 99.999% less time to get there and do more damage given the same resource investment.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Moridin920 posted:

I have an irrational fear that all our space flights and orbital maneuvers are stealing kinetic energy from the planets/moons (this is true) but my fear is that in like 200 years when/if spaceflight is a common thing we'll gently caress up the mechanics of the solar system to the point that we'll cause major catastrophes (like planets colliding or something).

I know rationally that it would require like trillions and trillions of slingshots and whatever and the sun will be long since nova'd before this is even remotely a concern but still.

I'm shocked you think like this

XMNN posted:

uh hirschel found the first planet in thousands of years and its only sporting to let the bitch countries pick up the scraps

herschel found Uranus so I suggest you find Myanus and kiss it

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

JohnnySavs posted:

Because the nuke will take 99.999% less time to get there and do more damage given the same resource investment.

Only if you're thinking in terms of one Earth-bound nation vs another.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Doc Block posted:

Only if you're thinking in terms of one Earth-bound nation vs another.

so, nations that exist

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Man, reading about all these starts zooming through the galaxy at 700 miles/second makes you scared.

First, what thing out there has the power to propel a huge object at those speeds.

Second, what if one is headed our way ?!

A black hole could be lurking just outside the solar system and we wouldn't know it until it would get close enough to gravitational move stuff in the Oort cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

VikingSkull posted:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Rocks_Are_Not_Free!

• Locked thread