Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chromatic posted:

Also, the new Daily Show is bad. Noah just doesn't have the presence or respect that Stewart had.

The few remaining people who defend Noah's incarnation of it in TVIV pull out the "bu-but Stewart sucked early as well" card because that's all they have left. Stewart wasn't great early on because he didn't inherit a comedy institution and had to build it from scratch. Most of the work for Noah was already done and all he had to be was funny, likable, and knowledgeable and so far he's failed pretty bad. He's got the likable part down; the other 2 not so much.

That's part of the problem.

Being likable isn't enough. What made Stewart work is the fact he could kick your freaking rear end in a debate, and if he wanted to set his sights on something, he could absolutely destroy it. Him trolling Crossfire out of existence was a true moment of genius.

There is noway in loving hell Trevor Noah could have pulled that off, and that is why he sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If they really want a good show fire the person who kept adding let it go to the script.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ok guys tonight were going to have an Egyptian personality who is single handedly credited with bringing human rights to the country... Let's see if he can sing let it go

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
More like the Faily show.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Stewart would actually read his guest's books and question them if they were full of poo poo on something

Noah is just a talking head saying whatever the writers want him to

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

That's part of the problem.

Being likable isn't enough. What made Stewart work is the fact he could kick your freaking rear end in a debate, and if he wanted to set his sights on something, he could absolutely destroy it. Him trolling Crossfire out of existence was a true moment of genius.

There is noway in loving hell Trevor Noah could have pulled that off, and that is why he sucks.

Stewart had this sincere optimism that America could do better and rise about its various problems.

Stewart is more horatian type humor expressing disappointment about humans not being able to do better and rise above challenges.

Colbert was Juvenalian humor which tends to be acidic and revels in the most instrinitic nastier aspects of the human spirit.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Chromatic posted:

Also, the new Daily Show is bad. Noah just doesn't have the presence or respect that Stewart had.

The few remaining people who defend Noah's incarnation of it in TVIV pull out the "bu-but Stewart sucked early as well" card because that's all they have left. Stewart wasn't great early on because he didn't inherit a comedy institution and had to build it from scratch. Most of the work for Noah was already done and all he had to be was funny, likable, and knowledgeable and so far he's failed pretty bad. He's got the likable part down; the other 2 not so much.

Noah's problem is that they can coach him on US politics, and I think he understands it at this point, but he clearly doesn't actually give a gently caress. That's why Stewart worked, because he seemed invested in US politics rather than just knowing about it.

I'd also say he's not really that likeable. Comedians are funnier when they're frumpy, flawed people. Noah's got too much of a "I'm hot and I know it" poo poo eating grin.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

WhyteRyce posted:

Does anyone even remember what TDS was like with Kilborn

Yeah they interviewed flat earthers and Bigfoot hunters and other mentally ill yokels, it was awesome.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Noah's problem is that they can coach him on US politics, and I think he understands it at this point, but he clearly doesn't actually give a gently caress. That's why Stewart worked, because he seemed invested in US politics rather than just knowing about it.

I'd also say he's not really that likeable. Comedians are funnier when they're frumpy, flawed people. Noah's got too much of a "I'm hot and I know it" poo poo eating grin.

Noah got a silky smooth radio voice though. I'd probably listen to him even if he was an rear end in a top hat :allears:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Yeah the sincere emotional investment in US politics is one of the reasons why Stewart was so appealing.

I like this video since you can hear the production staff laughing in the background at Stewart's jokes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_qJiReI8hU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah they interviewed flat earthers and Bigfoot hunters and other mentally ill yokels, it was awesome.

Kilborn was awesome

One of Kilborn's last shows, with Jon Stewart as the guest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyw8TJobEpI

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Joon Stewart: "So for this episode I want to touch on the fact that Obama hasn't closed abu ghraib like he promised.

*A pansexual gender queer transracial hand shoots up* What if you sang let it go but instead made it let them go.

Jon Stewart at taping: " got an announcement for you all. I'm leaving this note poo poo show. "

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

Kilborn was awesome

He got a bad rap. His version of the Daily Show was entirely different but was in fact funny as hell. I remember I stopped watching for a season or two after Stewart took over, until he found his voice.

I don't think this Trevor Noah guy is ever going to do more than be a writing room puppet. And as also mentioned earlier, his style of humor is far more shallow.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I loved the Kilborn era. Stewart took himself too seriously, but I guess being responsible for delivering news to a generation of stoned, facile brats is an important job. He was at least good at it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yudo posted:

I loved the Kilborn era. Stewart took himself too seriously, but I guess being responsible for delivering news to a generation of stoned, facile brats is an important job. He was at least good at it.

You ever watch the news... On weed?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
i liked the part of the daily show where they said that republicans are bad and democrats are good

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I sort of agree. Stewart's personality trait that shined in most situations is that he wanted to make everyone like him, even when he was calling them out on their bullshit. Tucker Carlson is the only person I know that Stewart hated, also Marc Maron.

Also, you could tell that Stewart knew The Daily Show was his lifes work and legacy to the public and it showed. Trevor Noah seems to approach it as if it's just another gig and a stepping stone to bigger and better.

Blah. Man do I miss the days of TDS and Colbert Report one after another. :smith:

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 21, 2016

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

Volume posted:

I don't really blame Trevor Noah. You could tell that there was a change in writing/producing about a year before Jon Stewart announced he was leaving. There was like that month in a half period where ever episode was just a huge call out to Disney's Frozen complete with him and guests having to sing let it go at every taping. No wonder he left and no wonder they couldn't get a decent comedian to host.

WTF? That sounds inexplicably bad.

The few Noah clips I've seen weren't pretty funny. Stewart kind of stopped being funny once Obama took office, I thought. TDS seemed lost not having a clear target to mock. I stopped watching after the Rally to Restore Sanity and Fear or whatever, was unfunny and politically tonedeaf.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

FFS this the type of correspondent segments they're producing now. To go from Colbert and Carell to this should rank among mankind's most awful crimes.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e5186e/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-livin--on-the-street---netflix-and-kill

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jon Stewart also was a great advocate for the Zadroga Act
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHHQ9WdFekc

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

south africa should be contained, wtf giving them a whole show

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Imo Colbert is like comedy fertilizer in that his brash and loud personally works really well as a supporting character with limited screen time. Basically everything he did before Colbert Report.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Suckthemonkey posted:

WTF? That sounds inexplicably bad.

I've never heard of that happening but then again I didn't really watch guest segments on TDS during the last year of Stewart's run.

TDS with Stewart wasn't nearly as good the final year or so but it was still decent tv. Stewart was just burnt out, ready to retire and it showed.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chromatic posted:

FFS this the type of correspondent segments they're producing now. To go from Colbert and Carell to this should rank among mankind's most awful crimes.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e5186e/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-livin--on-the-street---netflix-and-kill

This guy has more personality than Noah, make him the host

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Chromatic posted:

I sort of agree. Stewart's personality trait that shined in most situations is that he wanted to make everyone like him, even when he was calling them out on their bullshit. Tucker Carlson is the only person I know that Stewart hated, also Marc Maron.

Also, you could tell that Stewart knew The Daily Show was his lifes work and legacy to the public and it showed. Trevor Noah seems to approach it as if it's just another gig and a stepping stone to bigger and better.

Blah. Man do I miss the days of TDS and Colbert Report one after another. :smith:

why does stewart hate marc maron.

Also amy schumer should be the new host so she get guest to talk about her having sex

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bump out fallon and give the nbc slot to daniel tosh go all in

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Bump out fallon and give the nbc slot to daniel tosh go all in

Fallon is a legit upgrade from Leno

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vyst posted:

Fallon is a legit upgrade from Leno

Fallon never was a good comedian especially on how he relies on gimmicks while Leno was really sharp comedian back in the day.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

etalian posted:

Fallon never was a good comedian especially on how he relies on gimmicks while Leno was really sharp comedian back in the day.

Fallon is a better entertainer than Leno was, which is the entire point of the tonight show. Leno is a better pure comedian though yea.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vyst posted:

Fallon is a better entertainer than Leno was, which is the entire point of the tonight show. Leno is a better pure comedian though yea.

Is doing girly laughing and constantly interrupting guests supposed to be entertaining?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Most late night hosts are hit or miss even at the best of times. Even Craig Ferguson, who was probably my favorite for a while, had issues. For example, if he had guests that didn't work with his style of interview/comedy, then the entire interview could be pretty rough. Will agree that Jon Stewart in the final years of the show wasn't all that good. Colbert was more consistent during that period. Noah as the new host isn't so great either, but maybe they'll let him run with his own ideas after a while. I don't know much about his old stand up though.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Just nuke the entire news/talk/comedy/panel show ecosystem from orbit and replace it with reruns of The Larry Sanders Show.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Space Ghost needs to come back.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
why is the best late night show ever only on dailymotion now?
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2m85u9

e: for anyone who has not saw this its adam pally guest hosting the late late show, and clearly the producers don't want him to be here, the guests don't like him, adam pally is afraid, and ben schwartz is realizing what a disaster it is while its happening and reveling in it

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 21, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Volume posted:

Joon Stewart: "So for this episode I want to touch on the fact that Obama hasn't closed abu ghraib like he promised.

*A pansexual gender queer transracial hand shoots up* What if you sang let it go but instead made it let them go.

Jon Stewart at taping: " got an announcement for you all. I'm leaving this note poo poo show. "

this joke, and especially this post isn't good, let it go

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Gaunab posted:

why does stewart hate marc maron.

Maron was a colossal prick to Stewart when they were coming up as he was to a lot of comedians during that era.

Maron has made up to most of the comics he was a dick to and had them on his podcast but I don't think Stewart is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jFf4lTw4Pk

http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/videos/web-exclusive/marc-maron-Jon-Stewart-The-Daily-Show

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hmm, my let it go bit just isn't working, how do i escalate the lols?
*types out pansexual gender queer transracial hand*

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Stewbeef had been phoning it in for a quite while. The show sucks either way.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

PBS Newshour posted:

why is the best late night show ever only on dailymotion now?
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2m85u9

e: for anyone who has not saw this its adam pally guest hosting the late late show, and clearly the producers don't want him to be here, the guests don't like him, adam pally is afraid, and ben schwartz is realizing what a disaster it is while its happening and reveling in it

If this show was constantly hosted by guest host then it would be the greatest late night show ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

I like Conan O'Brien at least for his more improv focused comedy such as off set features.

conan is funny

craig ferguson was also funny, and then he retired and got replaced by an extremely unfunny and unlikable person

• Locked thread