Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

Coach McGirk didnt' let his lack of piano skills stop him from his true passion: making jazz music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS5p4M08jJs

quote:

We all start from the same place and build from there, gathering references, structures, techniques, modes, nuances, etc. and, as artists, we strive to build some- thing purposeful. Well, I Should Have…* is the culmination of hours (almost 3) of conception with the goal to bring something, in the tradition of the great vanguard jazz artists like Miles Davis, Roach, Mingus, Monk, et al, close to pure spontaneity. Jazz is the ocean…I am just one wave forming one curl, crashing once onto some remote beach somewhere in time. And that wave makes a small imperceptible change in the slope of the sand, upon which at some point in time a baby turtle will walk across, leaving his trail for just an instant, before the tide washes it clean. That’s a pretty cool analogy. More to the point, I do not play piano and I made this jazz album. Some tell me, “Hey, Jon, tone it down.” Some even say, “Really, Jon?” A few have said, “Get the gently caress away from me or I’ll loving punch you in the face.” I know the risks in making this album. I know what it is like to do something that no one else would think to do. Most would call this reckless. I call it jazz. What you are about to experience is an aural auto da fe. I am the jazz daredevil.

– Jon, New York City, July 2015

"Raw, untapped talent"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-fTDK6xmjI

"It's a real insult to people who try"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyhSCNAYFUw

"He's not taking any risks. He just knows how to do it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRJE0pyUQnw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

This is bad.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

It's jazz it's not supposed to be good

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bwahahaha holy poo poo this is great! :aaaaa:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

doesn't seem like a great use of time.

i imagine him sitting at the piano and all the session musicians are playing their instruments sarcastically. the bassist is leaning over the lid of the piano and staring jon in the eyes, daring him to put his fat idiot fingers over the keys again.

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet

It's good when you play all the embedded videos at the same time

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i imagine him sitting at the piano and all the session musicians are playing their instruments sarcastically. the bassist is leaning over the lid of the piano and staring jon in the eyes, daring him to put his fat idiot fingers over the keys again.

He gets into it with the saxophonist in part three I think

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah let's make the joke not funny.

social media guru
Jan 18, 2016

by Cowcaster
I made a #jizz album two it was called #jizzforyoureears

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I make jizz for your rears.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's a funny concept. That said, I don't need to subject myself to bad jazz to get the joke, and if you buy this album you're an idiot. Thank you and goodnight.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Yeah let's make the joke not funny.

what's the deal with airline jazz?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Obviously for people who are high.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Miles Davis High club

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

notZaar posted:

It's a funny concept. That said, I don't need to subject myself to bad jazz to get the joke, and if you buy this album you're an idiot. Thank you and goodnight.

yeah this

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its pretty retarded as an idea and in execution actually

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I started listening to the second one and yeah, this is one hit wonder material. :smith:

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
im lmaoin'

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
cracked the gently caress up when I heard this poo poo on npr, glad there are comedians making comedy OUT SIDE THE BOX

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
this owns

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine being the actual musicians hired to play the other instruments on this album. Would you be pissed or would you do it for the money?

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

notZaar posted:

Imagine being the actual musicians hired to play the other instruments on this album. Would you be pissed or would you do it for the money?

According to the NPR interview they were kinda pissed but played anyway

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notZaar posted:

Hey hey hey, they are SESSION MUSICIANS, Jon is the ROCKSTAR here. :colbert:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

rabble rabble posted:

cracked the gently caress up when I heard this poo poo on npr, glad there are comedians making comedy OUT SIDE THE BOX

it was a really funny interview

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

notZaar posted:

if his timing and technique were a little better and he was playing the same notes it would sound like some medium grade jazz bar jazz except that he's not playing the main themes with anybody so that kind of gives away the joke. jazz improv is all about playing retarded random sounding notes based on arcane rules of substitution and theory so banging on the keys at random is just functionally similar enough to be hilarious.

so they would do it because it's funny is what im trying to say

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
oh they were butthurt about it? jazz musicians are idiots

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
they are all unavailable now i think you made h jon benjamin upset OP

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Lonely Island did the same joke but more polished. H Jon Benjamin's version is kind of funnier in it's own way because of the extra awkwardness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzEzk0G0tao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
As someone who used to make a living as a jazz musician, I am finding this hilarious (especially the interplay on #3).

• Locked thread