Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah, the Nurgle book was incredibly underwhelming. It had a lot of core, unaligned poo poo that could have gone in ANOTHER splat book for unaligned characters and gear, but instead it had a few swords, a few guns, and then a lot of bullshit on making daemon engines.

Also, I forgot to mention; Slaaneshi and Nurgle psykers and sorcerers can test against Fellowship and Toughness, respectively, for their spells; your Unnatural characteristics will NOT count towards this, at least until I get a better idea of how easy it is to get Unnatural Willpower in this game (since it does not seem very easy compared to either Toughness OR Fellowship.)

If you made a psyker using their powers and pumped WP at its lovely cost for you, then go ahead and fix it up. I thought I put it in the OP but there's so much info dumped there I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

John Dyne posted:

until I get a better idea of how easy it is to get Unnatural Willpower in this game (since it does not seem very easy compared to either Toughness OR Fellowship.)

Good call, since marines start with Unnatural Toughness +4. Unnatural WP comes from either the Mark of Tzeentch or Demon Organ mutation. Thousand Sons start with Unnatural WP +2, so they'll need a lucky gift and mutation to just start at the same point a Nurgle sorcerer would with Unnatural Toughness adding to their casting. Another option might be to allow them to use Fellowship/Toughness, but also let Unnatural WP count toward it instead of those stats?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

John Dyne posted:

Eh, I'll be nice and just say to take Mark of Tzeentch cause it's not like FFG has an editor on staff to make poo poo clear. :ffg:

Only Nurgle and Tzeentch have absolute poo poo gifts like that, which is annoying as hell; you shouldn't have poo poo that only works for the player when they loving die, and you need more compensation for not being able to run and giving everything +20 to hit you than five wounds and counting your AB as two higher (which for most Nurgle aligned people is going to still be a 25% loss of what you'd have from running.) I mean they fit thematically which is nice but the first one should be a power you can use and the second should offer Regeneration, Unnatural Toughness, or just negate the penalty for the size profile like power armor does.

I mean, Slaanesh gets Hermaphrodite, which does some of the stuff their mark does (extra successes on interaction tests) without any of the rest of the good poo poo that the mark does (extra successes on ALL fellowship rolls, being able to buy slaanesh mark psyker powers, heightened senses (all)). I'm not bitching about it on my character because it actually fits the theme of what I want my character to be, mind. I can see how getting hermaphrodite instead of the mark can be a big disappointment for characters though.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
A disappointment maybe, but hermaphrodite doesn't negatively impact a character mechanically like corpulent immensity does. There isn't even a comparison there. At worst hermaphrodite is a sub par bonus, but you can still loving run.

Plus tzeentch changer of ways could really dick you if you loose good mutations and then get stuck with poo poo ones. "Oh you had warp sight? Now you have bestial, enjoy! "

I subscribe to the "FFG hates nurgle" theory.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Werix posted:

A disappointment maybe, but hermaphrodite doesn't negatively impact a character mechanically like corpulent immensity does. There isn't even a comparison there. At worst hermaphrodite is a sub par bonus, but you can still loving run.

Plus tzeentch changer of ways could really dick you if you loose good mutations and then get stuck with poo poo ones. "Oh you had warp sight? Now you have bestial, enjoy! "

I subscribe to the "FFG hates nurgle" theory.

Tzeench can game their rewards though. If they roll poorly on their influence rolls for rewards, they still have the option of gaming the advancements by buying the trained rank in every Forbidden Lore to get them nearly 3/4ths of the way to the 20 Tzeench advancements for the mark that way.

I'll go with you though on the Nurgle rewards kind of sucking though. There really needs to be some huge benefit to getting Corpulent Immensity to counterbalance no running and being enormous. +5 wounds doesn't cut it. They need like undying/toxic or Regeneration to go along with it or something. I always giggle and think if you roll Corpulent Immensity and grossly fat your character should just be tooting around on a Chaos Rascal.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The only saving grace is Mark of nurgle is objectively the best mark. Stuff of nightmares can't be beat.

I was also in terminator armor so I was literally as big as a tank. I also rolled max on the loss of agility for grossly fat and my agility was at 8. That was on a human renegade before tome of decay. I'd love to try the combo on a plague marine.

With an autocannon.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Death Priest is still pretty awesome.

I think that, when the base game was made, they weren't sure what to do with nurgle. They did more research later for Tome of Decay, but since they were trying to make it both the Nurgle book AND the unaligned book AND the "what do I do after I win Chaos" book, they didn't spend the pages needed to fix their earlier mistakes.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Werix posted:

I'd love to try the combo on a plague marine.

With an autocannon.

I think Mandozer has you covered :v:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

I think Mandozer has you covered :v:

I got a DAEMONIC LEGACY TWINLINKED BOLTER thats the same poo poo right?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Rolled for my Gifts/Rewards, First roll got me Face of Slaanesh, Second Roll was the exact same thing, so I made a reroll and got Daemonic Name. I got really close to having a daemonic flintlock, but oh well. Instead I get 2 more infamy.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
To cast a spell as a nurgle sorcerer run laps around the table chanting PLAGUE PLAGUE PLAGUE

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Astus posted:

Rolled for my Gifts/Rewards, First roll got me Face of Slaanesh, Second Roll was the exact same thing, so I made a reroll and got Daemonic Name. I got really close to having a daemonic flintlock, but oh well. Instead I get 2 more infamy.

Well I'm jelly of your sexy face.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Working as a scribe kind of sucked. There were some perks. Sure, the work was steady. It wasn't just anyone who could read from blasphemous tomes without having their eyes melt out. And High Thaumaturgist Velanax wasn't a terrible boss, all things said. He paid well, and Salanar could afford a nice sized apartment with a great view of the city's southern Weeping Soul Gardens.

Though the downsides were many. Some of the books had an awful habit of wriggling around and vomiting blood on him, which admittedly was sort of creepy. The laundry bills really piled up, at least. The terrible waking dreams and the constant whispers of madness in the back of his mind weren't exactly the most comforting either, and made it very difficult to enjoy his weekends (High Thaumaturgist Velanax insisted on downtime for his scribes - something about preventing a 'fatal buildup of warp-related energies in the cerebral cortex). His coworkers were a bummer; First Scrivener Helax was a compete bore and would never get together after work to play Chaos Poker, Second Scrivener Tontalix never stopped talking about some terrible animated show that was clearly geared towards children, and Third Scrivener Gal'tunmethanex couldn't go 10 minutes without erupting into cackling and loud declarations about having discovered the 'Changer of Way's Greatest Secret', whatever that means. To top it all off, one day Salanar woke up looking like a god drat bird of all things.

But worst of all - the work was just plain boring. Salanar would take to melancholy more and more often. Did he really go to 6 years of Sorcerer school and take a 2 year independent study in the Pus Fields of the Gurgling Islands just for this? There must be something more to everything.

Salanar wondering just what he's doing with his life

Did I mention that High Thaumaturgist Velanax was a good boss? Seeing that one of his prized workers was feeling down, he pulled Salanar aside to have a one on one about life goals. Together, they came to the conclusion that maybe what Salanar really needed was a long vacation to get in touch with himself. Fortunately, Velanax had just the idea. He told Salanar of an acquaintance - Callum the Black Hearted - and how he was looking for able bodied men to help him with some task or another. Something about a book? This seemed like just the perfect fit for Salanar - travel, meeting new people, making work connections, and more importantly time to relax.

His job would be waiting for him when he came back, if that was what he still wanted to do. The only thing that Velanax asked was that Salanar would write him and let him know how things were going.

With a new spring in his step, Salanar packed his things and hopped the next transport out to meet with this Callum fellow. This would be an adventure!

pre:
Name: Fourth Scrivener Salanar of the Scintilating Tower of High Thaumaturgist Velanax
Archetype: Q'Sal Magister Immaterial
Alignment: Tzeentch
Pride: Craftsmanship
Disgrace: Gluttony
Motivation: Arcane

Characteristics:

WS:   31
BS:   29
S:    31(51)
T:    34
Agi:  37
Int:  51
Per:  35
WP:   64
Fel:  36

Wounds: 12
Infamy: 44
Corruption: 41

Skills:
Common Lore (Imperium, Imperial Creed, Q'Sal), Linguistics (Low Gothic, Chaos Marks),
Trade (Scribe), Deceive(+10), Awareness, Dodge, Forbidden Lore (Psykers, Daemonology+10, Warp), 
Inquiry, Logic, Psyniscience+10, Scholastic Lore (Legend, Occult), Scrutiny

Talents:
Psy 5, Jaded, Paranoia (+2 init), Strong Minded, Weapon Training (Primary, Exotic Q'Sal, Shock),
Warp Sense, Contemplate, Extreme Wealth

Traits:
Quick and the Dead, Multiple limbs (1), Unnatural Willpower (1), Awareness+10, Scrutiny-10
Resistance (Heat)
Mutations: Chaos Organ, Warpsight, Animal Hybrid

Gear:
Las Pistol, Force Staff, Grimoire, Mesh Combat Cloak, 
Magma Suit (Gill, Vox, Sustainable Power, Recoil Suppression),
Crown of Prospero (Rating 30(60 vs Psy) Overload 01-05, Golden Eye of Tzeentch
Talisman of Tzeentch

Psy Powers:
Mind Over Matter, Precision Telekinesis, Foul Cage, Labyrinthine Conundrum, Precognition, Preternatural awareness, Unnatural healing, Doombolt, Phantom Parry

XP spent:
Archetype: 4600
Simple + Intermediate + Trained willpower - 850
Psy rating - 750
Extreme Wealth - 250
Precognition + Preternatural Awareness - 200
Unnatural Healing - 300
Forbidden lore (warp) - 100
Doombolt - 200
Phantom Parry - 400
50xp left

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 30, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Skellybones posted:

Well I'm jelly of your sexy face.

Sexy face meet sexy body.

<Does Buffalo Bill dance>

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
With the Wealth pride, is that supposed to be effectively -30 total? (-10 default acquisition limit, +20 wealth modifier)

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Yes

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Just as a fair warning: I'm going to be heading out of town after work on Friday, if I'm picked and the game thread goes up after that I may not be able to post until Sunday afternoon when I get back.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DeathSandwich posted:

Just as a fair warning: I'm going to be heading out of town after work on Friday, if I'm picked and the game thread goes up after that I may not be able to post until Sunday afternoon when I get back.

Hey, me too, except I'm taking a laptop. Picks may be done on Saturday or Sunday, but the OP will be up fairly soon after picks are made.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I've got even worse news. Dyne's not allowing trade-ins (I asked him last night), and RE: ancient warrior, I didn't take it on my guy because I noticed this last night:

"Long War weaponry is also easier for him to obtain and
all weapons with the word “Legion” in the title count as one
Availability category easier than normal"

So, yeah. Bummer.

Going back to this, since I was digging around in the BC errata today I found this:

quote:

Is the rarity reduction on the Talent “Ancient Warrior” for “Legion” items intended to apply to Legion armour as well?

Answer: Yes it does apply.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
Having never gotten into space marine game I have been invited to play space marine game so here is space man

He probably remembers some things. A few things. In his quieter moments, he might have a flash of memory that wasn't tinted by a blood haze; something that wasn't accompanied by screaming and the stink of gore filling his senses. A jumble of faces he can't put names to. Voices reduced to echoes thousands of years away. It doesn't matter now.

He doesn't know if Hotbrute Doomslobber is his actual name, or something people started calling him at some point. He started responding to it and couldn't remember anything else, so it just stuck with him. There were worse things to be called in the universe. He has a very vivid memory of butchering a group of wizards led by a maniac named Buttgobble. For some reason, memories of killing people who use magic stick out more than others. Not that it matters now.

Hotbrute has never personally killed an entire planet, but he's very certain he's killed at least a planet's worth of people. Killing a planet with a greatsword is definitely something he aspires to. Yet another thing he dwells on in the time between murderous frenzies. That sort of matters now.

The last year has been one he might take the time to remember. He's in the employ of a sorcerer instead of tearing him to shreds, and is actually working with other people instead of tearing them to shreds, too. He can't (won't) say he hasn't gotten his own measure of enjoyment out of all this. He's gotten to see new places, kill hundreds of people, and visit some places he hasn't been to in who knows how long, where he got to kill even more people there. In the back of his mind, though, he can't help but wonder if he could have done all that on his own and not be bothered with all these other potential victims who hang around and, irritatingly enough, never seem to lower their guard.

Hotbrute takes some solace in the notion that the mountain of skulls below the Brass Throne wasn't put together in a day. He's lived long enough to understand that there is always more blood to spill tomorrow, more flesh to rend, more death to be dealt. Another time, another battle.

Tomorrow.

It doesn't matter now.

quote:

Name: Hotbrute Doomslobber (probably)
Archetype: Khorne Berserker
Alignment: Khorne
Pride: Martial Prowess
Disgrace: Destruction
Motivation: Violence

WS 61 11+5+30(+5)(+10 XP)=61
BS 37 7+30=37
S 56 11+5+30(+10 XP)=56
T 51 11+30(+10 XP)=51
Agi 40 10+30=40
Int 30 8+30(-5-3)=30
Per 35 5+30=35
WP 38 8+30=38
Fel 34 8+30(-4)=34

Wounds: 20/20
Infamy: 35 3+30(+2)=35
CP: 40

Skills:
Atheletics (+10)
Awareness
Common Lore (War)
Dodge
Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Astartes, The Horus Heresy and the Long War)
Indimidate (+10)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Navigate (Surface)
Operate (Aeronautics)
Parry +10
Survival
Forbidden Lore (Daemonology)

Talents:
Ancient Warrior
Ambidextrous
Berserk Charge
Bulging Biceps
Cold Hearted
Combat Master
Crushing Blow
Flesh Render
Fearless
Frenzy
Furious Assault
Lightning Attack
Legion Weapon Training
Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight)
Killing Strike
Nerves of Steel
Pity the Weak
Quick Draw
Raptor
Resistance (Cold, Heat, Poisons, Psychic)
Street Fighting
Sure Strike
Swift Attack
Unarmed Warrior
Whirlwind of Death

Traits/Mutations/Other:
Amphibious
Brutal Charge 4
Unnatural Strength +6
Unnatural Toughness +4
Mark of Khorne
Purity of Aggression

Gear:
Chain Greatsword x2
Legion Chainsword
Legion Chainaxe
2 Legion frag grenades
2 krak grenades
Legion Power Armor (Devotional Iconography; Power Source, AutoSenses, Osmotic Gill Life Sustainer, Vox Link, Enhanced Ceramite Plating)
Bolter
Combat Knife
4x magazines
Jump Pack

Acquisitions:
Best-Quality Legion Armor
Chain Greatsword 2d10+2 x2
loving JETPACK

XP Spent 7500/7500
Khorne Berserker 3600

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Here is a current roster of completed applications; these are people who have completed sheets and at least some backstory. It's sorted by alignment. These are currently the only sheets I am considering; I won't make picks until Sunday or Monday, so if you have a character to post or have a sheet that needs fluff, you've got time.

NURGLE
Tabitha Smythe, Plaguemeister (Werix)
Drosophilius, Sorceror King (MaliciousOnion)
Cyrus theVirus, Plague Marine (Viva Miriya)

KHORNE
Malithos Kuln, Night Lord (Hunt11)
Hotbrute Doomslobber, Khorne Berserker (FatSamurai)

SLAANESH
Blackstar, Noise Marine (DeathSandwich)
Khairi Fall-from-Grace, Renegade (Skellybones)
Gavius, Renegad (Astus)

TZEENTCH
Steknavich, Veteran of the Long War (Viccissitude)
Xana T0-V4, Heretek (Waci)
Imach the Editor, Thousand Sons Sorceror (wiegieman)
Salanar the Long Named, Q'Sal Magister (IPVG)
Alpharius, Alpha Legion (Epicurius)

UNALIGNED
Iro Yonn, Champion (Dachsundofdoom)

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 31, 2016

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Wandering across the corpse littered field, the armor-clad figure paid little attention to the decaying bodies bursting under it's feet with every step. Whatever cause they had fought for, was meaningless now but they could still serve a greater purpose as vessels for Nurgle's blessings and it was the search for these gifts that moved the thing. It had been a space marine, a long time ago, but time and rot had long since destroyed any marks of allegiance, just as the filth coursing through his veins had deformed and reshapen it's body and mind.

Every now and then it would kneel down and pluck something from the ground before slowly marching on. Limbs where boils had formed mind searing patterns, still pulsing organs filled to bursting with carrion insects, bones endlessly seeping revolting fluids, all that showed loving touch of Nurgle were meticulously scooped up and deposited in the cask chained to the thing's back. With each offering the cask would bubble, bursting forth vapours, and with each step, the contents would spill, contaminating the bodies on the ground and so the rot would spread as it moved forward. But the being cared little about such things, moving from one scene of massacre to another, barely aware of the passage between them, driven towards the distant horizon by the endless boom of war and promise of more gifts to collect.

So it went, endless path across the battlefields towards the war it never managed reach. With dawn, the scenery would mutate, the landscape, the air, the corpses, all shifting and twisting like the thing's own flesh and so there would be new gifts to collect, more vessels to fill. Sometimes a memory would flash in, triggered by scene of battle, a faint glimmer that would fade far too quickly for the ravaged brain to grasp. Until in a corpse choked swamp it found something that stirred it's memories. And so the thing knelt down once more, grasped and pulled the combat bike free from the swamp.

Studying the rusted bike leaking noxious water, he knew that he had ridden one, long time before. He knew this and he knew that he had not been alone, there had been others, others like him. Warriors, like he had been.

As the creature's brain struggled to handle the sudden assault of memories, his body move autonomously until the roar of engine brought his attention back to present. No longer slowly wandering towards the distant war but riding right in it and as the heat of the battle washed over him, threatening to drown out his senses, the marine raised fist towards the sky with triumphant roar and charged in the bloodshed.

~

The sorcerer had come one night, when Morbos had been slowly siphoning fuel from destroyed APC and the sounds of battle were almost too distant to be heard, offering promises of endless glory, treasures to plunder, slaves and neverending battles. But most importantly, the sorcerer had offered a chance to feed his cask with new feasts, with diseases, plagues, parasites and tumors that could never be found on these old battlefields that even the Gods had forgotten. To be right there, in the middle of the battle, where the galaxy would be struck a festering wound that would never heal and where gaze of the Gods would be. And so Morbos had sworn fealty to the sorcerer. So that all might rot and fester.

pre:
NAME: Brother Morbos
ARCHETYPE: Plague Marine
ALIGNMENT: Nurgle
PRIDE: Fortitude [+5 Toughness, -3 Agility, -3 Intelligence]
DISGRACE: Gluttony [+2 Wounds, -5 Agility]
MOTIVATION: Ascendancy [-2 Wounds, +5 Willpower]

**STATISTICS	TOTAL	ROLL	MISC
Weapon Skill	56	16	+10[xp]
Ballistic Skill	41	11
Strength	73	13	+20[armor] +10[xp]
Toughness	70	15	+10[Plague] +5[Pride] +10[xp]
Agility		22	10	-10[Plague] -3[Pride] -5[Disgrace]
Intelligence	31	4	-3[Pride]
Perception	36	6	
Willpower	52	12	+5[Plague] +5[Motivation]
Fellowship	36	6

Wounds: 23 [18 starting + 5 roll + 2 Disgrace - 2 Motivation]

Infamy: 44 [18 + 5 roll + 21 exp]
Corruption: 35 [+ 35 exp]

**SKILLS
Athletics
Awareness +10
Common Lore(War)
Dodge
Forbidden Lore(Adeptus Astartes, the Horus Heresy, the Long War, Daemology)
Intimidate +10
Linguistics(Low Gothic)
Navigate(Surface)
Operate(Surface)
Parry +10

Common Lore(any)

**TALENTS
Ancient Warrior
Ambidextrous
Blind Fighting
Bolter Drill
Bulging Biceps
Exotic Weapon Training(Plague Knife)
Fearless
Iron Jaw
Hardy
Hip Shooting
Legion Weapon Training
Heightened Senses(Hearing, Sight)
Nerves of Steel
Quick Draw
Rapid Reload
Resistance(Cold, Heat, Poisons)
Sure Strike
Unarmed Warrior

Combat Sense
Swift Attack
Thunder Charge
True Grit

**TRAITS
Amphibious
Unnatural Strength(x4)
Unnatural Toughness(x4)
Unnatural Weapon Skill(x1)[Chaos Organ]
Abominable Physiology (immune to diseases, poisons, Toxic Quality)
Hideous Resilience (as Reaction, -10 T test to reduce damage of next hit by DoS)
Infectious Miasma (Spend Infamy to poo poo flies)
Regeneration(1)

**GEAR
WEAPONS:
Legionnaire Bolter[1+1 magazines]
Legionnaire Combat Knife
Plague Knife
Blight Grenade x 3
Krak Grenade x 2

Power Fist, Best Quality, Cursed Metal

ARMOR:
Legionnaire Power Armor [10 body/8 rest]
*HORNS (Can't be parried on charge)
Power Source
Enchanced Ceramite Plating
Auto-senses (Dark Sight, Heightened Senses (Sight, Sound))

EQUIPMENT:
Infernal Star [Protection 50, overheats 1-5]

AQUISITONS:
1: Power Fist * -30 base -> -20 Trade Warrant -> -10 Single -> 0 Ancient Warrior -> -20 Best Quality -> -10 Cursed Metal
2: Embedded Auspex, Best * -10 Base -> -30 Best Quality -> -20 Warrant -> -10 Single
3: Legion Combat Bike * -30 base -> -20 Trade Warrant -> -10 Single
4: Infernal Star * -30 base -> -20 Trade Warrant -> -10 Single

MUTATIONS:
1d100; 1d100 = 77; 11
Winged
1d100; 1d100 = 98; 30
Chaos Organ [Regeneration(1), Unnatural Characteristic(WS)]

**ADVANCES
Toughness + 10 [350]
Strength + 10 [750]
Weapon Skill + 10 [750]

Combat Sense [250]
Swift Attack [500]
True Grit [400]
Thunder Charge[750]

250/3900 xp left
http://orokos.com/roll/359668 stats
http://orokos.com/roll/366716 wounds infamy power armor
http://orokos.com/roll/366716 http://orokos.com/roll/366717 mutations

throw to first DAMN IT fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 4, 2016

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
That's a rad loving plague marine picture.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Alpha Legion Space Marines are masters of espionage and stealth, or at least as much as a seven foot tall man wearing power armor can be, and, of the Alpha Legion, Alpharius stood apart. Eager and energetic, Alpharius threw himself into the missions he was assigned, and inevitably accomplished them,. Finally, after yet another successful mission (where he had led two squads of Chaos Space Marines against a platoon of Imperial Guardsmen and came back as sole survivor), he was given new instructions by his masters. He was too valuable an agent, he was told, to serve as a squad leader. Instead, he should go operate on his own, away from the rest of the Alpha Legion....far away from the rest of the Alpha Legion. There, he should observe, and wait until he was contacted with further instructions.

So, now alone, Alpharius took up mercenary work, fighting for the highest bidder, and waiting for the time he'd be brought in from the cold. Much of the work was uninteresting; just a job, really, but he was excited by Callum's job and the chaos ritual. The secret of the ritual, after all, would be an important thing to bring back to the Legion when he was called back.

pre:
Name: Alpharius
Race: Chaos Marine
Archetype: Alpha Legion
Alignment: Tzeentch

Pride:  Wealth 
Disgrace: Dread
Motivation: Ascendancy

Characteristics:
Weapon Skill	48 (+5 Simple)
Ballistic Skill	48 (+5 Simple)
Strength        43 (+5 Simple)	
Toughness	42
Agility		44 (+5 Simple)
Intelligence	48 (+5 Alpha Legion) (+5 Dread)
Perception	46 (+5 Alpha Legion) (-5 Dread) (+5 Foresight)
Willpower	40 (+5 Ascendancy) 
Fellowship	29 (-5 Foresight)
Infamy		44

Wounds:         16 (-2 Ascendancy)
Corruption:     35

Skills:

Athletics
Awareness +10
Common Lore (War)
Deceive +30
Dodge +10
Inquiry
Interrogation
Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Astartes, The Horus Heresy and the Long war, Xenos)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Navigate (Surface)
Operate (Surface)
Parry
Scholastic Lore (Tactics Imperialis)
Scrutiny +10
Stealth +10
Survival

Talents/Traits:

Ambidextrous
Bulging Biceps
Legion Weapon Training
Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight)
Nerves of Steel
Quick Draw
Resistance (Cold, Heat, Poisons)
Unarmed Warrior
Ancient warrior
Jaded
Combat Formation
Disarm
Enemy (Inquisition)
Foresight
Hip Shooting
Rapid Reload
Berserk Charge
Excessive Wealth
Infused Knowledge
Two Weapon Wielder (Ranged)
Two Weapon Wielder (Melee) 
Deadeye Shot
Meditation

Amphibious
Unnatural Strength (+4)
Unnatural Toughness (+4)
Deceitful Tactics
Insurrectionist

Psychic Powers:

Mutations:

?

Gear:

Legionnaire Power Armour
 -Auto Senses
 -Sustainable Power Source
 -Enhanced Ceramic Plating
 -Black Legion Armour
Legion Bolter/4 Clips
Legion Bolt Pistol/3 clips
Legion Frag Grenades (4)
Disguise Kit
Demolition Kit
Legion Combat Knife
Best Legion Power Sword
Good Quality Conversion Field
Best Quality Legion Meltagun 
Best Quality Legion Heavy Flamer 

Experience: 7500/7500

Advances:
Alpha Legion	3600
Simple Strength 250
Berserk Charge  250
Alliegence:  Tzeentch
Excessive Wealth 250
Simple WS       250
Simple Agility 250
Infused Knowledge 400
Scrutiny +10 200
Inquiry 200
Interrogation 200
Two Weapon Wielder (Ranged) 500
Two Weapon Wielder (Melee) 500
Simple Ballistic Skill 250
Deadeye Shot 200
Meditation 200

Acquisitions:

Best Quality Legion Power Sword
Good Quality Conversion Field
Best Quality Legion Meltagun
Best Quality Legion Heavy Flamer 
Characteristics http://orokos.com/roll/367218
Infamy http://orokos.com/roll/367214
Power Armor Customization: http://orokos.com/roll/367512[

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Sorry for the delays on the picks here; I was out of town since my dad was in the hospital, and I ended up meeting my birth mother and half-brother for the first time and extended my trip to spend time with them.

Here are my choices:

NURGLE
Tabitha Smythe, Plaguemeister (Werix) [H]
Brother Morbos, Plague Marine (Puistokemisti) [M]
Cyrus the Virus, Plague Marine (Viva Miriya) [M]

KHORNE
Hotbrute Doomslobber, Khorne Berserker (FatSamurai) [M]

SLAANESH
Blackstar, Noise Marine (DeathSandwich) [M]
Khairi Fall-from-Grace, Renegade (Skellybones) [H]

TZEENTCH
Imach the Editor, Thousand Sons Sorceror (wiegieman) [M]
Steknavich, Veteran of the Long War (Vicissitude) [M]

UNALIGNED
Iro Yonn, Champion (Dachsundofdoom) [M]

I will have the OP up a little later today; if you want to give impressions of your fellow heretics, by all means! Remember that the planet you found the tome on was verdant and vibrant, but had no animal life or any sort of sentient being that you guys ran into over the months you were there.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 3, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
All four traditional god-aspected marines represented, high five.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

(Sigh)

So, what did I do wrong in my character? So I know to avoid that in the future? Given how my character was actually Done, as opposed to a character sheet with no background or other information?

Or did I just get unlucky and apply for a position that someone who was promised a spot wanted?

Long story short, I'd just like to know what removed me from consideration so I don't make that mistake in the future.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
you're related to epicurius, collateral damage

Here's fluff on the planetary visit to get the tome.

Four months ago, you had arrived on an uncharted and unnamed planet within Jericho's Reach, deep within recorded Tau territory. But strangely, beyond the initial patrols during the first infilitration of the Reach, your cruiser ran into very little resistance, and Tau interceptors had broken off pursuit as you closed in on the planet.

Landfall had been simple enough, with the ship crashing through the fairly short trees that covered a vast portion of the planet. The warband had exited the ship, prepared for conflict, but had found nothing waiting for them on the ground; no animals, no indigenous species, no hostile plant life. The entire planet was silent, and it took days before the wind even caused the branches to rustle.

The three months that followed as the warband scoured the planetside for the tome were beyond peaceful. No creature stirred, and the worst of the weather was light rain fall. The climate did not seem to change very much the further north or south the warband went, and even the other continents had the same temperate weather. No ruins were found; it was as if the planet had never seen life.

On a large continent in the northern hemisphere of the planet, they found it: a massive crater, covered by the tree tops and invisible from the sky, with a staircase carved into the walls that lead down into the center of the depression. A massive stone door, expertly carved but with no symbols or runes on it, was easily removed from the warband's path, and down they went; it took almost five hours to reach the end of the spiralling staircase. No light sources lined the walls or the ceiling, and they had only what they brought with them to be able to see.

Finally, miles beneath the surface, they came into a massive antechamber, almost as large as the crater itself, lit by a single luminscent stone set into the ceiling above; sitting on a simple stone altar was the tome, the runes on it flickering with a dark green light. The room was free of any debris and had no other exits or entrances, and when the tome was picked up, the light from the stone above it faded into nothingness.

It was just a simple walk back and flight back to put the tome in Callum's hands. Now, he has more to his plan..

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Not going to do detailed snap impressions of *everyone* since we've got a fairly large group and I can't be bothered to do long reads of everyone's sheet.

---Audio Log: Begin Playback: 30 days after landfall---

I cannot believe my luck. I thought this warband was going to promise excitement. We've been wandering aimlessly on this rock for a month and I haven't seen hid nor hair of anyone besides us. It does little good for a musical legend to go on tour if he's got no throngs of fans to play to. My compatriots do little to entertain my fancies: That thug Doomslayer told me that if I tried playing a song around him he was going to - and I quote - "Break my blastmaster off in my rear end and burn that pretty head of hair off my neck stump"

How Rude.

The champions of Nurgle pretty much congregate to themselves, I don't see much of them and talk to them even less. So much the better, as they probably also think of me.

The Tzeench followers are both warp attuned as my gifted eyes so eagerly tell me. I'm the most civil with them because they seem just as bored and tired of this place as myself. Steknavich is nakedly ambitious, never taking the time to enjoy the little things in life. He'd enjoy himself a lot more if he would take the occasional moment.

For as much grief as my compatriots give me for my vainglory, Imach is certainly up there with me. The only difference is that his obsession involves ~*~Being Unknowable~*~ and extruding mystery at all time. It's almost attractive in it's own way, he could have anyone he wanted were he not a sexless mutant astartes.

And lastly we have Khairi, another chosen of Slaanesh and I think out of everyone I like her the most. There's something so delightfully delectable when the best of the Corpse God's chosen turn from him and she has turned from his grace in such a way. She wears her gifts with grace and her infused weapon is such a kaleidoscope delight to my warp-attuned eyes. She at least humors me, so this trip isn't completely drab.

In any case, with any luck we'll find what we're looking for soon. I'm bound do die of boredom otherwise. I long to see masses of fans and their screams of adoration.

---End of recording---

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Khairi's musings to Cacophony

If not for myself, you, Chelis and Tabitha, this whole warband would be Astartes. They must be hoping for exceptional rewards to tolerate each other like this. I doubt even Abaddon could corral such a warband for long.

Hotbrute, or whatever it thinks it is called, seems to favour the jump pack in combat as well. Though I expect it is only because of expediency. It wishes to enter melee as soon as possible so as to lose itself in bloodshed. I would pity it if it weren't so dangerous. I'll keep my distance.

Tabitha the ex-Hospitaller is most interesting. I can see her frame seething with death and decay, and yet she is shockingly gifted at coaxing life back into broken bodies. She emanates a disarming aura of kindness and care rarely seen in the galaxy.

Blackstar is uniquely effusive and gregarious. I can hear the music from his cabin through the bulkheads when I try to sleep. He bathes in even the meanest adoration and appreciation granted by an audience, and I cannot help but give approval for his efforts. His enthusiasm is infectious.

The last mission was disquieting. If we had been on that silent world any longer, bloodshed would have been a certainty.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Scientific and Personal Log of Hospitaller Tabitha Smythe

The planet we were on while looking for this tome was quite interesting from a scientific perspective. There were no animals or insects, yet the planet was covered in lush greenery. It raises scientific questions as to how the plants are engaging in pollination to enable reproductions. Maybe all the plants auto-pollinate? If we had more time I would have studied them, but I instead limited myself to gathering a few fungi I found growing in the underbrush.

My allies in this warband are a bung of murderers and killers. I think I am the only individual not focused on the martial disciplines. The worse are the Slaaneshi. The noisemarine is, well, a noise marine. Their weapons are detestable, focused on creating unnecessary pain in those on the receiving end of the weapon. Like fine, if you're some Slaaneshi that gets off on pain, then fine, whatever. But when you claim to get pleasure from the pain of others, that is detestable. There is enough pain in the galaxy, why create more?

But the other one, she is even worse. Not that she is some monster, but seriously, a fallen Sister of Battle, dedicated to Slaanesh? She is a walking embodiment of all the dirty trash novels that my lower hive patients used to read to "entertain" themselves. She disgusts me in that she is nothing more than a living embodiment of the woman as object, and not as a mind equal to all.

The rest of the war band means little to nothing to me. They are all killers. They all seem to be rather efficient at the jobs, meaning they don't dispense large amounts of unnecessary pain. yes, the Berserker is messy, but usually the enemy is dead after the first couple hits. It is my job to provide them with medical care, and with the group, I should be busy.

The plus side is that there are two plague marines present. I hope to get the chance to see if their bodies are home to diseases and poxes that may aid me in concocting more medicines with palliative effects.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Personal Logs of the Mighty Warlord Iro Yonn

Perhaps "Mighty Warlord" is a bit excessive... no, one must present oneself honestly. Humility is for those who fear jealousy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this was too easy. The Tau are naive and foolhardy, yet they fled as soon as our destination become obvious. Perhaps the tome defends itself against those who do not serve the true Gods, but I doubt Chaos would ever be so generous. The emptiness was both disappointing and disquieting.

This warband is a fascinating little microcosm of Chaos. I see in the Astartes before me the results of service to each Chaos god, and find myself reconsidering my thoughts on serving any one... for the moment. Excessive and noisy, decaying and slow, violent and insane, or secretive and obsessive. I like my personality as it is, thank you very much. Flexibility is nothing to be tossed aside lightly.

Two humans scurry around our ankles. Both are ex-Sororitas; one a slave to pleasure, the other to rot. Actually, the second one may not be what is called a Sororitas per se. I heard her say something about sisters, but I neither know nor care about the internal makeup of the Ecclesiarchy. All that matters to me is usefulness. It's a little amusing, actually. The Sisters of Battle have always prided themselves on purity, and yet here we have two who are anything but pure. Maybe the quality of their teaching is slipping.

This ritual is going to go poorly for us, one way or the other. I can feel it. The only question is whether or not Callum knows that.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

APOTHECARY CYRUS'S PERSONAL LOG 420.M41
"Well I won't lack for company this job for sure. The Pantheon of the Dark Gods represented with Grandfather Nurgle ascendant. Yet the numerology is a ill omen, for it favors the Master of Lies. The Aspiring Champion Yonnis hell on 4 Legs and the most lethal Terminator he's laid eyes on. The Berserker was a Berserker, the Noise Marine was a Noise Marine, the Son of Magnus was a scheming witch. The former Sororitas's fall from grace is impressive thus far, the Iron Warrior Raptor's fall to Tzeentch amusingly predictable, his brother Plague Marine and the fallen Hospitaller Tabitha all so familiar." *sound of a bolt pistol being cocked and discharged*

"Well that was pointless. No respite from this life today, time to work again."

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 4, 2016

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762971 THREAD UP

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
Hotbrute kept to himself as he watched the others. He knew they were all scheming, plotting something self-serving. He was well aware of their dislike of him, his methods, his tactical appraisals, his unique odor, and the way he would sometimes tear into local vegetation at the drop of a shell casing. He knew all of this because he felt the exact same way about them. Hotbrute was scheming and plotting, and while his plans were likely far simpler than theirs, and assuredly not as far-reaching, they were no less self-serving.

They would sometimes talk among themselves, and he would give a curt reply if spoken to directly. His typical answers consisted of one sentence--two, if he was in good spirits--and ended with a threat of violence against the person in question, the group as a whole, the person who hired them, or anyone else he could think of.

Hotbrute knew the others had names and titles, but they only bubbled up in his memory if he really paid attention to it. It was just easier to label them and leave it at that. Metal Man. Sick One. Sorcerer Who Needed To Die First. The Other Sick One. Loud Man With Hair. They were all confident and strong, but had little opportunity to prove it on this sickeningly peaceful mudball. Sometimes Hotbrute would stand quietly while the others droned on, their conversations all a thin veil of lies, and reflect on more exciting times. Charging into an enemy line with a chain axe, covered in gore, bone splinters flying like bloody shrapnel.

His attention drifted back to the terminally dull present. They would walk, and he would follow. If anything threatened them, he would be first to attack, if only to shake off the boredom that occupied so much of his thoughts these days.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

In My Own Hand
Imach of Prospero
The Five Hundred and Thirty-Fourth Day of Callum's Undertaking

The journey has, thus far, been uneventful. I cannot trust the stillness of this place. I have told too many lies to believe one so flawlessly formed. This is not a world, but a display. Someone, or something, put this here. I would rather like to know why.

The others are an eclectic bunch. Barring the berserker, I could easily have approached them for a previous job, the mortals in particular. No one ever questions the presence of Sisters. I am unsurprised to meet so many new faces. The Path to Glory is, as ever, well trod. It speaks to Callum's influence, that he could unite so many disparate forces. That, or his obsession.

I will have to watch the Blood God's servant. I can feel his hate. Hatred for everything.

The tomb was empty, aside from our goal. I don't know if I would be more disquieted by the presence of watchers, or the lack of them I now feel. Callum's wisdom does not equal his power, but I have been paid well. These faithful and I will see what his precious book truly offers.

---

(this poo poo is how Imach talks all the loving time)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I hope the loving drill doesn't jam.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Skellybones: Is it ok if I co-opt you to help me put my stage makeup in the moments leading up to the breach?

Edit: I keep thinking it'd be funny to speak in couplets when I'm 'performing' but I can also see that getting really hard to write real quick.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 4, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
YES

Cacophony also screams and sprays sparkles so maybe that can be worked into the show somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I just realized how utterly ridiculous my awareness checks are going to be when I was drafting my post and calculating bonuses. Good luck trying to sneak anything up on me ever.

I HEAR ALL AND I CAN SEE YOUR SOULS! PRESENT YOURSELF TO ME SO THAT I MAY ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF. :bigtran:

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 4, 2016

• Locked thread