Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Oberlin college, an institution of higher learning and favored right-wing pillory of said institutions of higher learning, has been in the news a few times in the past:

Once last month when the some members of the student body complained that the cafeteria food was racist, and comprised of inauthentic micro-aggressions:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/20/oberlin-students-cafeteria-food-is-racist.html

And a time before that when the University considered mandating gender-neutral pronouns for the athletic team:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/12/oberlin-college-mulls-gender-pronoun-ban-mandatory-transgender-sensitivity-for-athletic-department/

Recently, after being given a 14-page list of 50 or so demands, where the university is initially called an "unethical institution" (bang up job by the way, insulting people who you are asking to make changes to the university and curriculum before you state those changes is Negotiating 101; which you might have taken were it not a hegemonic discourse in undermining institutions of color) Oberlin University President Marvin Krislov responded with the equivalent of "lol no":

https://oncampus.oberlin.edu/source/articles/2016/01/20/response-student-demands

Bully for him.

However, perhaps a slower more protracted campaign is in order. So I put it to you GBS, what changes would you like to see made at America's premiere bastion of political correct left thinkery? Post them below, or if they are good and/or humorous enough to share with the President of Oberlin University, his email address is: Marvin.Krislov@oberlin.edu

(In all honesty and fairness, please don't abuse the poor man's email address, this thread is for comedy's sake, not harassment.)

Edit: I almost forgot, here's the list of demands, many of which have to do with jazz for some reason: http://new.oberlin.edu/petition-jan2016.pdf

Kumo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
something about lena dunham

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
suck my balls franco

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
jazz wants to talk about jizz's feelings and headmeats

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I remember that Asian girl who was deeply offended that the rice was undercooked haha get hosed Oberlin

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
suck my balls franco

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Isn't that the college where they rent out irreplaceable historical documents like Michelangelo drawings to the students?

Personal story: a really hot guy was in one of my classes and turns out he was from Oberlin. Wasn't crazy shockingly but I assume if I had talked to him outside of class he would have told me I was being oppressive in some way

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
More DoD research grants.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

isn't oberlin one of the most historically liberal colleges in the country, becoming one of the first colleges to let in the negros and the broads?

i feel like they're just rabble-rousing to rabble-rouse and the college are probably cool guys

my friend who went there before this whole social justice rage culture started said it was pretty chillax

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1cskIan5Jw

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Lena Dunham should be the new Oberlin President, shes an alumni and face it they both deserve one another.

"Voice of her generation"

:shillary:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 22, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mariana Horchata posted:

Lena Dunham should be the new Oberlin President, shes an alumni and face it they both deserve one another.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

it just isnt right that someone like Greta Gerwig isnt in her place as the millennial queen instead, who is attractive and appeals to the same demographic. i blame tumblrinas and them wanting to see themselves in their hero, literally...and i guess Greta is a more reserved and has self-respect - her only prob is that she seems like shes on a small dose of mescaline 24/7...and thats totally fine imo, better than stashing pebbles in her lil sisters prepubescent pooter and sharing such anecdotes with the world

instead Greta's restricted to only doing main roles in Noah Baumbach films instead of being the millennial 'it girl' that lena is seen as by the media for her meh tv show and horrendous mumblecore movies...its not fair which is why she must be voluntarily exiled to Oberlin for a decade or so until shes totally irrelevant to all. either that or die in a car accident, which would be great.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 22, 2016

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Lena Dunham looks like someone stuck an ugly little boy's head on the Pillsbury Doughboy's body.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Mariana Horchata posted:

:shillary:

god, her boobs don't go past her gunt

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kumo posted:

god, her boobs don't go past her gunt

Fat girls with no tits are cursed by god

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Pretty sure Russia could nuke Ohio and nothing of value would be lost.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
WE DEMAND that each white student has a black person playing smooth sax music following them wherever they go (limited to campus grounds) to provide jobs for the disenfranchised black community and to remind white people that black people are sometimes known to play smooth sax

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 22, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thanks for the email OP. gonna send him goatse

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Why don't they just start some organic gardens ? Help the Earth and the black community

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyhSCNAYFUw

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Decebal posted:

Why don't they just start some organic gardens ? Help the Earth and the black community

Because other people have to do it for them.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

make pcu mandatory viewing for all undergraduates cause this petition poo poo is so 20th century

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIpuS8vTBts

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

WE DEMAND that each white student has a black person playing smooth sax music following them wherever they go (limited to campus grounds) to provide jobs for the disenfranchised black community and to remind white people that black people are sometimes know to play smooth sax

I would agree with this, as long as there is loophole allowing for the use of Kenny G in place of a black person.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Kumo posted:

Edit: I almost forgot, here's the list of demands, many of which have to do with jazz for some reason: http://new.oberlin.edu/petition-jan2016.pdf

They didn't even proofread it

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 22, 2016

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
What on earth does 'divestments from prison and Israel' mean and what does it have to do with this petition.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Absolute Lithops posted:

They didn't even proofread it

proofreading is a form of cultural appropriation

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

bollig posted:

What on earth does 'divestments from prison and Israel' mean and what does it have to do with this petition.

selling anything in their endowment that is invested in the prison industry or israel

seriously though, death to israel.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Students aren't customers and shouldn't be treated like they're at a resort.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
My only experience with Oberlin College was at the Kennedy Center in DC where they had students in a movie scoring class write pieces for Battleship Potempkin which their orchestra played live during a viewing of the film. Sad to hear their campus is filled with morons since the music was pretty good.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Ah, the old prison-Israel-education industrial complex. Finally someone is fighting this behemoth.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
faux liberal wearing shillary dress is all I see

Decebal posted:

Students aren't customers and shouldn't be treated like they're at a resort.

for $20k a year gently caress you I'm not a customer

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
posting jazz op what are you going to do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7qu_ycGRY

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN2RnjFHmNY

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
For Oberlin, I suggest a student strike- via a Tomahawk cruise missile!

naem
May 29, 2011

Oberlin college is Tumblr: the cornfield.edu

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
imo oberlin should have caved on the demand for a black student safe space stocked with fried chicken because u really need that if u want to call urself progressive

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
People get antsy when there's no work to do and latch on to the most banal things. Give 'em a shovel !

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Oberlin is like, half an hour for me, and they were stupid liberal even in the 90s, though I think at that time it was dumb stuff like hanging themselves from buildings in nets to protest animal cruelty. I don't know. Townies laugh at them alot, I'm sure.

That being said, these demands are wicked racist, or is that impossible because they're coming from black people? I mean, I can see making changes to allow a choice of multicultural teaching options(western vs. african arts for example) for their degree programs, but forcing every student into "Intro to the Black Experience" regardless of their race seems a bit authoritarian, especially for such a lib campus.

I guess liberalism being coopted by people who feel their view is the 'right one' instead of 'all views get equal consideration' is the downfall of the millenial generation? The face of liberalism is a jackbooted genderfluid unicorn stomping on your face forever, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

looks like she lost her neck since I last saw her

• Locked thread