Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Tazzypillar posted:

I've never really drunk so I kind of wonder if that bit about alcohol has any truth to it, personally?

Also I love Venus so much "I'm just gonna read" that kid is me all through high school.

Neptune is still my favorite but Venus immediately losing at being dared not to say sorry might be the most relatable thing I've seen in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tazzypillar posted:

I've never really drunk so I kind of wonder if that bit about alcohol has any truth to it, personally?

Also I love Venus so much "I'm just gonna read" that kid is me all through high school.

See for yourself: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717278

Tazzypillar
Sep 16, 2011

The best guy.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Neptune is still my favorite but Venus immediately losing at being dared not to say sorry might be the most relatable thing I've seen in a video game.

neptune is the most relatable character in the world except neptune is the most relatable character in the world except jupiter is the--

haha ive never played peace walker, this should be interesting research. thanks!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Remember, kids, cultivate alcohol snobbery at a young age! It'll save you from situations like these and might just prevent alcoholism! Sailor Wonderella says!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I can't relate to drinking awful-tasting poo poo as a kid, I'm still drinking pretty much the same stuff I used to as a minor except with a larger percentage of vodka

What the hell are they even drinking

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

tiistai posted:

What the hell are they even drinking

I think it's like paint thinner with fruit juice in it, something poisonous.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kavak posted:

I think it's like paint thinner with fruit juice in it, something poisonous.

I thought that was an exaggeration. What are they, homeless?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

tiistai posted:

I thought that was an exaggeration. What are they, homeless?

No, just teenagers.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kavak posted:

No, just teenagers.

No, that's seriously hosed up if true. I've known penniless alcoholics with better standards than that.

What the gently caress, if you seriously can't buy anything then at least make some lovely moonshine or something so you can actually get drunk instead of poisoned

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

tiistai posted:

No, that's seriously hosed up if true. I've known penniless alcoholics with better standards than that.

What the gently caress, if you seriously can't buy anything then at least make some lovely moonshine or something so you can actually get drunk instead of poisoned
It's probably not literal paint thinner. I remember a few years ago, my roommates and I got some of this really bad flavored vodka. It was supposed to be cotton candy flavored, and it just tasted like sugar and death. I suspect that is the kind of thing they're drinking.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Poison Mushroom posted:

cotton candy flavored vodka

Okay. I take it back, paint thinner isn't so bad.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
Just for the sake of clarity, there is no kind of paint thinner than contains any alcohol at all, let alone ethanol. You cannot get drunk on paint thinner, but you can get very dead.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
[MUSIC: Greenhouse]

Let's shove Venus and Jupiter into the broom closet. 7 minutes in heaven with Jupiter and Neptune is absolutely the correct choice but I do love the interaction between these two here.

[MUSIC: Growing Poppies]

♀: Um. Why?
♃: Because that's the game.
♀: I thought you were going to say Neptune, so I—
♃: What about Neptune?
♃: Why not you. You're safe. You're like a puppy. You're harmless.
♀: ...did you lose your nerve?
♃: Except when you talk.
♀: Sorry, I just thought—
♃: You're so fluffy, wow. What do you do to your hair.
♀: Basically...nothing?
♃: We're friends too, aren't we? It's not weird.
♀: We're friends?
♃: See what I mean about 'except when you talk.'
♀: Oh. Sorry.
♀: People call any group of kids friends even if they were just forced to spend time with each other and actually kind of hate each other though?

♃: I don't know what to do with you.
♀: I know. That's why I play dumb most of the time.
♀: Like about you and Neptune. But I don't want to get in the way.
♃: ...if you were that worried about me and Neptune, that's actually. A pretty cool friend thing to do.
♃: Haha, does that make you my wingman?
♀: ...
♃: Haha, I am kidding. That is all jokes.
♃: You sure are not like other boys.
♀: Ha. Thank you. It would be a lot easier if I was though.
♃: ..."thank you?" Aha, I finally found a compliment you like.
♃: I envy boys a little sometimes too. Isn't that the good thing about them, that they're easier? A more straightforward sort of evil.
♃: Boys hate you to your face at least. At least you know how they feel about you.
♀: ...people say that a lot.
♃: Is it true?
♀: ...maybe this sounds weird, but...

♀: I spend a lot of time with boys, you know? And they're mad to your face sure, but they're always, always...
♀: ...mad about something else too, you know?
♀: I don't know how to describe it.
♀: They hide what they're mad about by getting mad about something else.
♀: And they don't even know it.
♀: Like the captain.
♃: What's the captain really mad about, you think?
♀: I don't know. I thought it must just be being here, like us?
♀: But I think that's not everything.

♀: You're not mad.
♃: What am I then?
♀: I don't know...
♃: You're lying.
♀: I thought you said you were getting annoyed because I kept talking about it?
♃: Ahaha. That's so right.
♃: What about you, then?
♀: I'm mad about a lot of things I guess.
♃: Liar.
♃: You're not mad.
♃: You're jealous.
♃: Why are you so jealous.
♃: It's flattering. But it's weird.
♀: I don't know.
♃: We're so mean though. We're mean to YOU.
♀: You aren't at all. And Neptune isn't...
♃: I wish I could be meaner. I wish I could be so much meaner.
♀: When you are mean though, it doesn't feel mean.

♃: You know, you could be a LITTLE mean, and we wouldn't care.
♀: I don't want to, though.
♃: Sometimes you're still mean, without meaning to be.
♀: I know. I hate it.
♀: I'd rather get made fun of than be mean.
♃: Hmm.
♃: You shouldn't say things like that.
♀: Why not? I don't want to. I just don't.
♀: I know I'm bad at getting anyone to like me and I'm weird and everyone else can deal even though I can't, but I can't.
♀: I'm just going to be like this. I'm not going to be any different.
♃: You're asking to get beat up.
♀: I don't care.
♃: But for real.
♀: I said I'm fine.

[MUSIC: Three Eves]

Jupiter snaps her hairband. Venus feels something tighten around his neck.

♀: You—haaH?
♃: Venus?
♃: Venus?!
♀: Ahh—
♃: I've got you, I'm—
♃: What is this? What? Whose...hands—?
♀: *gasp*

[Silence]

♀: I'm okay...
♃: Oh. Oh god. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.
♀: It's okay. I'm fine. It's okay. I promise.
♃: It's not.
♃: It's not okay.

Flac fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 17, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God, I forgot how hosed up that moment is.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

It is but also on a lighter note no one can tell me that this DIDN'T happen in there (comic by Mia):

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I suppose if you can never be honest with yourself about what's really making you mad, you may as well just bottle it up since yelling at people won't do you any good.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I admit I'm a little confused on what just happened. Did Venus or Jupiter start choking Venus out of frustration, or did Jupiter accidentally summon her Stand and and it started choking him?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The latter, mostly. Implication being, once you know her ending, you kind of can draw the conclusion that they weren't her hands, but they were her hands, if you catch my meaning.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I admit I'm a little confused on what just happened. Did Venus or Jupiter start choking Venus out of frustration, or did Jupiter accidentally summon her Stand and and it started choking him?

The latter, really. Everyone in this cabin is one good push away from being the Devil. Jupiter got fed up with Venus' poo poo, and so she sank low enough to get the hand for choking but not far enough to actually become the devil.

Although now that I'm thinking about it having bits of devil magic show up at really low points in your life is probably just something that happens in this society, since Venus brushed off getting choked by a ghost hand instead of freaking out like a normal person. Of course, this would also mean this society is even more repressed since dwelling on your actual problems would get you that much closer to letting the devil in and everyone knows that, but it's not like everyone wasn't desperately burying their personal issues anyway.

(Okay, technically she could have choked Venus normally, but you don't act surprised after physically choking someone with your physical hand.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWDAw2nsIjw

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Okay now I feel like I'm starting to actually understand this world a bit.

It took a while for me to get it but now I'm really interested.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Holy Hell, I just caught up on this thread.

Jesus, this is good. It's like painting only bits, but leaving the real picture in negative space.

Of course, having not played the game, I'm assuming... no, I'm Trusting there is a picture to outline when all is done.

The moment they talk about "re-wiring" the lock, I knew I was in love.
So strange.
Of putting.
Weird fiction.

The characters also give me flash-backs to my high school days. All the characters.
As Sophomore, I was ♀
As Junior, I was ♃
And as Senior, I was ♆

VERY interested in the rest of this LP, yo! :munch:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If Jupy's secret was she's gay, my money's on Ven being transgender and Nep's sado-masochistic. I could be wrong, though.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

This game is like being in college again learning how to pick apart books with literary criticism and that owns, but it's also so much like being in high school again that it hurts

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Lurks With Wolves posted:

(Okay, technically she could have choked Venus normally, but you don't act surprised after physically choking someone with your physical hand.)

Well Jupiter's drunk, and emotionally vulnerable at this point too. With the writing as presented I really don't believe that Jupiter doesn't know what's up with 7 Minutes in Heaven, really. And the choice really is presented with Jupiter making the choice, and it being whether or not she lost her nerve to ask Neptune into the closet. She says it herself, Venus is safe. Like a puppy, something that doesn't have any desires attached to it.

Only Venus isn't safe, because she runs straight into his victim complex. She's already frustrated, since she definitely didn't go for what she wanted, and she's in a compromised state. So yeah I definitely think she just lost it and strangled him physically, especially since part of her wants to harm-touch as well.

And then Venus brushes it off like it's something he expects to happen, even from those he trusts.

Goddammit I hate the subtext in this game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Keldulas posted:

And then Venus brushes it off like it's something he expects to happen, even from those he trusts.
gently caress. :shepface:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Keldulas posted:

And then Venus brushes it off like it's something he expects to happen, even from those he trusts

Wow poo poo, this game.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keldulas posted:

Well Jupiter's drunk, and emotionally vulnerable at this point too. With the writing as presented I really don't believe that Jupiter doesn't know what's up with 7 Minutes in Heaven, really. And the choice really is presented with Jupiter making the choice, and it being whether or not she lost her nerve to ask Neptune into the closet. She says it herself, Venus is safe. Like a puppy, something that doesn't have any desires attached to it.

Only Venus isn't safe, because she runs straight into his victim complex. She's already frustrated, since she definitely didn't go for what she wanted, and she's in a compromised state. So yeah I definitely think she just lost it and strangled him physically, especially since part of her wants to harm-touch as well.

Goddammit I hate the subtext in this game.

i don't think she actually physically grabbed venus by the throat, but this is some good reading here otherwise

e: to clarify, her response there doesn't make much sense if she's strangling them, why would she pretend there are hands in the closet not attached to her or venus's shoulders :v:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Tollymain posted:

i don't think she actually physically grabbed venus by the throat, but this is some good reading here otherwise

e: to clarify, her response there doesn't make much sense if she's strangling them, why would she pretend there are hands in the closet not attached to her or venus's shoulders :v:

Well everything here is indeed up to interpretation. I'd easily believe her spectral hands leaking a bit here, especially with her mental state as I said previously.

Honestly, whether or not it was her physical hands is really besides the point as well.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot the actual thing I was going to say here. My reason before for thinking physical hands is that she's shocked she did it. Her mom (or dad? Doesn't matter.) said she shouldn't touch anyone else improperly. And yeah.... that qualifies.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 25, 2016

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Unlikely that those were Jupiter's physical hands.

There's an underlining nod to super powers (for lack of better term) in here. The Sailor Moon references, the casual nod to "Transformation Sequences."
I think this camp may also be a kind of Professor Xavior's Christian Camp for Gifted Youths.

Keldulas posted:

:( Yup
Seen this before
Toxic stuff

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I kinda want to know, is there like an asset dump of this game? Because the character art is pretty cool and I could go for using Neptune as an avatar or something.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Grimwit posted:

I think this camp may also be a kind of Professor Xavior's Christian Camp for Gifted Youths.

I was thinking more psychic conversion therapy.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[MUSIC: Draining Neptune]

Venus and Neptune on the last choice. Splittin' the effort 100-0 to boost a signal far enough to literally hear god.

[MUSIC: The Sirens]

♃: Scream if something horrible happens.
♆: Do the same please. As loud as possible.
♃: Aaaarghhhhhhhhhh.
♃: Like that?
♆: The worst. Try harder or I won't save you next time.

♆: She's okay I guess.
♀: Does that mean you like her?
♆: Just work on the radio.
♀: Oh. Um. Is that a no?
♆: Are you trolling me on literal purpose.

♆: Wow Venus I'm ALMOST impressed.
♆: You are, deep down, kind of a little poo poo.
♀: I didn't mean it in a mean way. I wasn't teasing.
♆: That's so much worse, Venus.
♀: I guess I just don't get it?
♀: I don't like being mean and I don't want to be mean so I try really hard not to be mean.
♀: I don't get any of the 'just kidding' because it's not just kidding.
♀: It's just mean. Does it really not bother you when everyone is mean to you?
♆: No. I couldn't care less.
♆: They are all just simply bad at it. What are they going to make fun of me for?

♆: I DARE you to answer that question.
♀: N-no I wasn't gonna say anything!
♆: Seriously, you totally can though.
♆: I'm an evil bad slut right? I'm a bitch and a flirt.
♆: I'm a bitch because I let people know when they walk over me.
♆: I'm a flirt because boys keep talking at me.
♆: And this is somehow my problem, because they can't get over themselves and leave me alone?

♆: Why would I be anything but MAD about all this stupid obnoxious BULLSHIT.
♃: Oh.

♀: Yeah, I think so.
♀: I feel like I shouldn't get mad though.
♀: Like, you're supposed to turn the other cheek.
♆: Ever think people who love to say that just love slapping people?
♀: Yeah...
♆: ...but you don't have to be like that, you know.
♆: You're the only boy here I can stand.

♀: Thanks.
♀: You too.

Flac fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 17, 2016

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I kinda want to know, is there like an asset dump of this game? Because the character art is pretty cool and I could go for using Neptune as an avatar or something.

don't think there is, and even if there was, the assets for the characters are bodies with blank faces, and their expressions are made up of completely separate assets that are placed over the face. you'd have to align the expression perfectly on your own to get what you want, so I assume it's not the best option for an avatar.

Funnily enough there was a bug where fast forwarding caused the facial expressions to gently caress up and this would happen:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Flac posted:

don't think there is, and even if there was, the assets for the characters are bodies with blank faces, and their expressions are made up of completely separate assets that are placed over the face. you'd have to align the expression perfectly on your own to get what you want, so I assume it's not the best option for an avatar.

Funnily enough there was a bug where fast forwarding caused the facial expressions to gently caress up and this would happen:

Pfft, that's funny but also shame about the way the game handles this stuff. I'm bad at image editing and probably wouldn't be able to whack together something myself.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Amazing.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
chalk me up as another one who gave his hard-earned dollarydoos to gay satan on account of this thread

its good

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Oh man!
Blank Faces are the best!

*gets out a sharpie*

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[MUSIC: Greenhouse]

For this time around, and the next one, I'm only going to show the part where Group West tunes in on god. Most of 2 AM is the same every time, but there's a couple changes based on how you've played that happen in this chunk of the hour.

The devil is never on the same frequency, but you sometimes hear a bit of him by accident when you're changing channels.

By the time we find god he's already talking. He never says "for those just listening." He expects attentiveness.

God sounds like every boy you are afraid of talking at once.

GOD: —and extract the resulting ink. Place in a vial and explain to it the worthlessness of the treasures of earth. Break it against a mirror, the cause of vanity—

Here god references the four humors, or the four human bodily fluids that were thought to determine the physical and mental state of a person: yellow bile, blood, phlegm, and black bile. In the fourth or fifth century B.C., Greek physician Hippocrates incorporated these as the basis of his "four temperaments" medical theory, which would influence European and Islamic medicine for well over a thousand years. Obviously not practiced in medicine anymore, the temperaments themselves still exist as a personality test type thing that's popular among modern Christians.

Of interest here is black bile, which relates to the Melancholic temperament (black bile in Greek is µέλαινα χολή, melaina chole). Melancholia, caused by an excess of black bile, is associated with traits like being cold or critical towards others, despondency, and withdrawnness.

An interesting excerpt from Sol Tenebrarum - The Occult Study of Melancholy by Asenath Mason:

"The black bile, as a corrupted form of blood, was the symbol of death, darkness, black magic and witchcraft. It was believed to cause gloomy disposition, depression and insanity. It darkened the light of the soul, led to obsessions, lethargy, diseases and finally also to death. Among 'melancholy people', meaning those who were most severely exposed to the influence of the black bile, one could find all sort of social outcasts, murderers, witches, necromancers, black magicians, etc. The black bile was the cause of all weakness and sin, and it was believed that when the first humans tasted fruits from the Tree of Knowledge, their blood was corrupted and turned black, which also happens to each man who succumbs to Satan’s temptation."

♃: Shh, let's listen.
♆: Whatever.

GOD: —each of you shall choose. It is certain that the devil is coming.

♀: Oh no.

GOD: It is certain.

♆: I told you.

GOD: It is absolutely certain the devil is already here.

♃: ...

GOD: Parables I:I "The devil is only the shadow of man cast from the light of god."

GOD: The meaning of this parable is that there is no devil.

GOD: The weather is scheduled for 100 with humidity tomorrow. And now for the news—

[SFX: The radio turns off.]

Jupiter shuts off the radio.

Flac fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:unsmigghh:

• Locked thread