Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Couldn't stop myself.

Played the game through.

Know what's gonna happen next.

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Flac posted:

Of interest here is black bile, which relates to the Melancholic temperament (black bile in Greek is µέλαινα χολή, melaina chole). Melancholia, caused by an excess of black bile, is associated with traits like being cold or critical towards others, despondency, and withdrawnness.

Now who do we know that sounds like that?
I'm guessing Nep's the devil this time?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Junpei posted:

Now who do we know that sounds like that?
I'm guessing Nep's the devil this time?

There's also this tid bit too.

All the water of the body can be thought of as a single ocean as one

Which is preety much a giveaway to the person who's name is based around water and the sea.

Flac posted:

Funnily enough there was a bug where fast forwarding caused the facial expressions to gently caress up and this would happen:

This bug also appears in the steam version if you get an ending and then start a new game again.

Tazzypillar
Sep 16, 2011

The best guy.
I finally got around to reading stuff on WKTD writer @MammonMachine 's website, ZEAL, and there are some really fascinating articles/reviews/critiques on various aspects of game design and writing, if someone out there is hankering for more analytical stuff in between updates.

https://medium.com/mammon-machine-zeal/thirteen-rules-5ba8224532ca#.5iqcv4hxx

Of particular interest to me is probably this article which really spoke to me both on an individual faith level and on how worldbuilding actually matters for writing meaningful people rather than nice setpiece backdrops.

Most of them seem to reflect/talk about a particular game which is noted in the subtitle, and I haven't run into any WKTD spoilers yet, but y'anno, tread with caution.

Ones I've read and am sure have no spoilers:

Fire Emblem
Atelier Escha
Dangan Ronpa
Fire Emblem: Awakening

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
Her deadly premonition article is really good. and holy poo poo i had no idea she wrote something on middens of all things

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
I was convinced no other person had ever played Baroque, to say nothing of liking it. Those are some great articles.

Tazzypillar
Sep 16, 2011

The best guy.

A Bad Place posted:

I was convinced no other person had ever played Baroque, to say nothing of liking it. Those are some great articles.

She convinced me to finally go and actually try grimgrimoire (and odin sphere, which id always related it with). I think if I want more weird games to play afterwards baroque might be next. it definitely looks strange and interesting.

EDIT: I feel like I should clarify that ZEAL isn't strictly Aeeve's website. It's actually a Patreon-funded publisher that aims to bring unique and interesting avenues on games criticism/intellectual discussion to light. There's some interesting articles on there outside of her own work--I've generally been impressed or at least interested in everything I've read.

It's published through Medium and can be found here: https://medium.com/mammon-machine-zeal , if I am understanding the set up correctly.
I didn't realize this until now, but my favorite Dark Souls article ever was actually published through ZEAL, if there's any Souls fans out there.

Tazzypillar fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 27, 2016

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
Ah man, that's real cool. They've even got a thing with Cate Wurtz, that rules. It's kinda funny, I keep thinking that WKTD and Lamezone share a lot of common ancestry somehow, like... I dunno. If anyone wants to read webcomics for some dumb reason, then the Lamezone comics definitely push a lot of the same buttons for me that WKTD did. That's all I got. It's a good interview, anyway.

edit: great now i have to play deadly premonition, again

A Bad Place fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 27, 2016

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

I could use some extra ears with this so here's a :spooky: THREAD CHALLENGE :spooky: I expect nobody will win but who knows

Alec Lambert says there are two other samples in Incense, heard after the one where you can hear Angry German Kid. Try as I may I can't spot em. There's two possibilities for where the sources could be that I can think of:

A) another clickbait PSYCHO GAMER FREAKS OUT!!! video like angry german kid

B) horror movies that were an inspiration on WKTD where someone is screaming bloody murder, like in Possession (RIP Andrzej Zulawski) or Antichrist.

I could be way off the mark with these, they're just ideas I have. also i can't force myself to watch antichrist :marc:. I'm curious as hell so if anyone discovers either sample before I do, I'll buy ya a copy of WKTD or a forums upgrade or an extra sincere thank you since i cant think of a third thing right now

e: added this to the op

Flac fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 27, 2016

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

and I want to say, seeing posts by people saying they bought the game because of this thread makes me really happy. I was worried noone would want to try it when someone was going to do a complete LP of it, but I'm glad I was proven wrong. I'd much rather people enjoy it themselves if they can, the main reason I'm doing this is to get the word out for a story I really liked.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I certainly enjoyed it and have managed to pass the love onto a few other friends via recommendation, so mission accomplished.

Cool thread OP, never would've found this game without it.

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
same. be proud of your cool thread

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, bought it for me and my friend. It was enjoyed. :peanut:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I bought and immediately played it upon reading the OP, so you succeeded there.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm using this thread to experience the game, but I am totally springing for the soundtrack when it's done.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Old-timey medicine is far more entertaining to read about than to actually experience.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i bought this game, it was p good

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[SFX: Somewhere, a fire is burning]

Sometimes it's okay to be quiet. It is nice to know we don't have to talk sometimes.

♆: Yeah?
♀: Umm...are you okay...?
♆: Yes.
♀: Ah.
♀: S-sorry.

♀: Are you okay?
♆: I said—
♆: *cough*
♆: —God. I'm fine.
♃: You're totally not.

♀: Again?
♆: Yeah—
♆: *cough, cough*
♆: —again.
♃: Are you sure you're okay?
♆: I'm fine, I'm fine.
♆: I need to go to the bathroom.

It's quiet. But it's not okay anymore. We shiver whenever Neptune coughs. Even through the bathroom, it sounds louder than ever.

♃: You sound really bad, can we get anything?
♆: No.
♃: Do you want to go back, I mean, we can if you—
♆: I TOLD you, it's *cough*

[SFX: A siren gives off some buzzes and crackles.]

♀: Jupiter, she's—
♆: I'm fine.
♃: Neptune. Please open up the door, okay.
♀: Please, you gotta open up.
♆: I'm FINE.
♀: Please.

♃: You have to come out.
♆: Okay.
♆: Okay.
♆: You asked me to come out. So I'm coming out.

[MUSIC: Victim of Circumstance]

♆: Ha. Sorry. Stay good there Venus.
♆: Drink up.

Neptune lets the ichor drizzle off her finger. Like it's chocolate syrup. Jupiter screams and pushes her but Neptune won't even flinch. She ignores her completely.

♆: At least YOU know how to be decent, ha.

♆: Calm your tits, Jupiter, I just need like a minute.

Jupiter slams her body into her.

♆: I promise to be an incredible nightmare to you too babe just wait a MINUTE.

It's long and thin and heavy and she takes it and she swings it and she crashes the blunt of it right against Neptune's shoulder and she crumples to the ground. Jupiter grabs Venus and bolts.

Neptune is already on her feet again. She just watches. Jupiter holds her radio with one hand and Venus with the other. He claws for support against the wall. It doesn't look like he can see.

♆: Oof.
♆: Sorry, I lied. But you should have known better.
♆: You kids are trying so hard to be good.
♆: And I guess I don't want you to.
♆: Doesn't it feel unfair?
♆: You're already good, so why do you have to try so hard to be good?
♆: It makes me mad.
♆: They want you to prove you're good. But you're already so good.
♆: What is that? Why do they do that?
♆: Why did they think I wouldn't notice that? That it should so obviously be me. That it should so obviously be you.
♆: It makes me so, so mad.
♆: I hate this place so much.
♆: Why are either of you here?
♆: Why do we have to be here?

♃: Let's just. We don't. It doesn't.
♆: God just stoppppp. Please. I hate this.
♆: I am trying to gently caress up Venus for the rest of his entire life and you too if you let me and if you want to stop that I guess there is a problem and you will have to kill me.
♆: Does that kid look happy to you? Well I guess we have different opinions and you will have to stop me from making him into what he is trying very hard not to be.
♆: And Jupiter I want to do the same to you so badly. So, so badly.
♃: Please—
♆: No.
♆: I don't want to be good ever.
♆: And neither of you should want to be good either.

Jupiter tightens her grip on her radio. Venus holds her shoulder.

♀: I'm okay.
♆: Ha. Try not to kill me, okay?

Flac fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 17, 2016

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[MUSIC: Incense (Smoke & Honey)]

Her stare is as quiet and black as the surface of the lake, like she's tempting us to drown. The only chill of summer is in that lake, and even in August, it still holds places we can freeze to death.

Neptune reaches for us. She's a flood, of every wicked thought, and they are pouring out of her mouth.

The devil is lonely. We kicked out the devil and it misses us. It keeps begging to be let back, for us to let it in.

And Neptune did.

Every terrible thought belongs to it. Water to give, and thirst to take. Nothing can escape this flood.

But we will.

Neptune can't stain us.

We chose to stay clean.

And the devil only ever gets one moment.

For revenge, for desire, for "please think of me."

But there is nothing to fear when there is two against the devil.

Venus brings the light. His radio whines and wriggles and coils around itself.

Jupiter brings the storm. Her radio blares and shrieks and the weight of it shudders.

Our radios scream and crash against her and the devil is destroyed.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[SFX: The morning birds are chirping.]

We have to drain Neptune and the lake. So we hang our feet off the edge of the bridge over what's now a gross dirty crater while the rest of the groups hack and pick away to make sure nothing's left.

The Captain says we don't have to do anything but keep Neptune clean, which is our reward we guess. But it's probably just to punish everyone else for not seeing it coming.

[MUSIC: Growing Poppies]

Behind us, Neptune is draining on an ugly blue tarp. We used to have to change it every half hour. It's running a little clearer now.

So we change it. Jupiter puts on rubber gloves and gently picks her up and Venus bundles it up and throws it in a nasty green dumpster.

♃: It feels like it's getting closer. But it feels like it might take forever, too.
♀: Hey. Neptune?

But Neptune isn't going to talk.

We sit by the lake again.

♀: But other ones I don't. Like we don't small talk. Speak only when necessary.
♀: But they're still my friends.
♀: I wonder how that works?
♃: My mom says that if you really know someone you don't have to check in so much? Like it's just obvious how you feel.
♃: I don't know how true that is. I don't know if it worked for her all that well, now that I think of it.
♃: I guess for some things words don't work very well, though.
♀: That's true.
♀: I guess we have a lot of time to figure this out.
♃: Yeah.

[Music stops]

We ask her if she can speak, but words or no words, nothing gets through.

Flac fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 27, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:unsmigghh:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Neptune, the devil.

(Source. Again, spoilers. Not the best image in the series, but there's just not a great deal of devil-Neptune fanart for some reason?)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

:stare:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
lmao i completely forgot how messed-up looking neptune was when she came out of the bathroom so the .gif made me jump out of my chair a little

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

♆ posted:

I am trying to gently caress up Venus for the rest of his entire life and you too if you let me and if you want to stop that I guess there is a problem and you will have to kill me.

aw she really does care

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I bought the game. It's great, got all three character endings.

I can't figure out how to get the True Ending, though. I did what I thought was the obvious thing made all my choices in a round robin so no one was left out, ie. Venus + Jupiter then Jupiter+Neptune then Neptune+Venus and got a choice halfway through the game with all three of them available, so I THOUGHT I was on the right path. Then I did the round robin again and I just got Jupiter's ending again.

I might just wait until the thread gets to it and experience it that way. Shouldn't be all that long now. It's certain the devil is coming, after all.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
kinda unfair that neptune gets to become the devil -and- stay really cool... guess she kinda saw it coming and had time to practice

make a flowchart and count the interactions

Think Thin! fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 29, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The devil only ever gets one moment.

For revenge, for love, for "please take me back."

For revenge, for desire, for "please think of me."

(there's a lot more than that to compare between the two scenes, but that's an exercise for the reader, and besides, we haven't yet got the complete picture)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

If Jupy's secret was she's gay, my money's on Ven being transgender and Nep's sado-masochistic. I could be wrong, though.

Been wanting to comment on this since I saw it, but I wanted to wait until after we'd seen Neptune's ending.

WKTD isn't about discovering "secrets." Rather, it's about the things that drive our scared and lonely teens into being the Other.

Jupiter isn't the devil because she's gay. She's the devil because she's closeted and ashamed and terrified. She desperately wants intimacy and touch, but she's internalized the idea that here desire isn't just wrong, it's actively poisonous. She believes her desire can hurt people, or hurt herself.

Flac posted:

♃: Ahaha.
♃: Gross.
♃: I'm gross.

And so she tries to drive the desire out, through her wristband-punishment and her obsessive goodness. But she can't drive it out. And the conclusion she comes to is, she must be inherently broken.

Flac posted:

♃: You shouldn't touch me.
♃: I wasn't born good.

---

Neptune, on the other hand, doesn't have a big capital-s Secret. Sure, she's also some variety of lowkey not-straight, but she's much more okay with it. Sure, her approach to the closet is a little messed up, and absolutely not the right thing to tell poor Jupiter--

Flac posted:

♃: Not that I'm saying it.
♆: ...you get it.
♆: The midwest is great. All you have to do is not say it out loud.
♆: It's like a spell. And you can be as obvious as you want about everything else.
♆: You can wait it out forever. As long as you don't say it.

--but it doesn't keep her up at night or anything. Instead, her struggle with the world is a lot more fundamental: She's a girl, and she has the utter audacity not to be meek and ashamed and quiet.

Flac posted:

♆: I'm an evil bad slut right? I'm a bitch and a flirt.
♆: I'm a bitch because I let people know when they walk over me.
♆: I'm a flirt because boys keep talking at me.
♆: And this is somehow my problem, because they can't get over themselves and leave me alone?

And where Jupiter is passive in her conflict with the world, Neptune is very, very aggressive. She lashes out. She spits bile (ha).

That said, Nep does have a her own small-s secret, which she tries not to let on. All her aggression? All the fantastically sick burns and pure teenage girl fury? It's not working. She can't hurt the world hard enough that it stops hurting her. It's not possible. But all she knows how to do is double down. Get madder. Hit harder. Keep going until your knuckles bleed. Keep going until you kill yourself fighting.

Worse though, is Jupiter and Neptune's passivity. She can see her own suffering mirrored in them, and she sees them just lie down and take it, and she can't bear it. She needs them to fight back, for the same reason she needs to fight back. And if she has to MAKE THEM fight back, then so loving be it.

Flac posted:

♀: Don't you want to at least make stuff a little easier for her?

♆: I want to make it so bad she has to say it. I want to hear it out loud.

If that means literally drowning them in her own anger and black bile, so be it.

Flac posted:

♆: Ha. Sorry. Stay good there Venus.
♆: Drink up.

Neptune lets the ichor drizzle off her finger. Like it's chocolate syrup. Jupiter screams and pushes her but Neptune won't even flinch. She ignores her completely.

---

As for Venus, well. We'll get to Venus.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That was a Good Post. Said what I was trying to piece together the words to describe in a much clearer way.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
As per the other ending, I think I need to sit here and just let things settle for me.

At the same time, my immediate observation comes from the fight and defeat.

Neptune brings the water to purify, and as the devil she is the corrupted ichor, water, and what not.

Jupiter brings the storm to purify, and as the devil she is a storm of repressed desires.

Even the devil or not, they still hold the same root core of themselves.

I do find Neptune' permanence of effect a lot more interesting. With Jupiter, it seems to me that they're just smoking out the forest as per procedure, really. Here they have to cleanse the very real impact that Neptune had on the forest. For me it seems to match up their approach to life, really. Neptune wants to make a big ugly impact on the world. Jupiter just ultimately wants to be a good person, and internalized what is the wrong idea of what constitutes that.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I love this game so much.

I am absolutely writhing with things to say about it once we've seen the next ending, I can barely contain myself.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

This x1000

Thanks for clarifying things.

Tazzypillar
Sep 16, 2011

The best guy.

Gutter Owl posted:

Been wanting to comment on this since I saw it, but I wanted to wait until after we'd seen Neptune's ending.

WKTD isn't about discovering "secrets." Rather, it's about the things that drive our scared and lonely teens into being the Other.

Jupiter isn't the devil because she's gay. She's the devil because she's closeted and ashamed and terrified. She desperately wants intimacy and touch, but she's internalized the idea that here desire isn't just wrong, it's actively poisonous. She believes her desire can hurt people, or hurt herself.

And so she tries to drive the desire out, through her wristband-punishment and her obsessive goodness. But she can't drive it out. And the conclusion she comes to is, she must be inherently broken.

---

Neptune, on the other hand, doesn't have a big capital-s Secret. Sure, she's also some variety of lowkey not-straight, but she's much more okay with it. Sure, her approach to the closet is a little messed up, and absolutely not the right thing to tell poor Jupiter--

--but it doesn't keep her up at night or anything. Instead, her struggle with the world is a lot more fundamental: She's a girl, and she has the utter audacity not to be meek and ashamed and quiet.

And where Jupiter is passive in her conflict with the world, Neptune is very, very aggressive. She lashes out. She spits bile (ha).

That said, Nep does have a her own small-s secret, which she tries not to let on. All her aggression? All the fantastically sick burns and pure teenage girl fury? It's not working. She can't hurt the world hard enough that it stops hurting her. It's not possible. But all she knows how to do is double down. Get madder. Hit harder. Keep going until your knuckles bleed. Keep going until you kill yourself fighting.

Worse though, is Jupiter and Neptune's passivity. She can see her own suffering mirrored in them, and she sees them just lie down and take it, and she can't bear it. She needs them to fight back, for the same reason she needs to fight back. And if she has to MAKE THEM fight back, then so loving be it.

If that means literally drowning them in her own anger and black bile, so be it.

---

As for Venus, well. We'll get to Venus.

i lov e this post so much im going to print it out and eat it, oh my god. Yes. Yes.

When Venus says that Neptune thinks being mean is more honest, but she's "Just as bad as them", this is what he was referring to.

Where Jupiter internalizes EVERYTHING and is incredibly toxic and cruel to herself, Neptune externalizes everything and is toxic and cruel to everything outside of her--even, unintentionally, the people she genuinely cares about.

But both approaches are equally futile. Neptune isn't any happier or satisfied through her externalization. She hasn't found any peace. And Venus can see that.

Venus seems to do a bit of both, wavering between not feeling good enough and being angry at the world. Like Gutter Owl said, though, we'll get to Venus in due time.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd like to talk about what I think Ven's ending will entail. Remember, this is pure speculation on my part. Feel free to jump off my ideas and theories, but no spoiling.

I still am holding true to my belief that Ven will turn out to be transgender. Not the medical kind, though. Venus is biologically a girl, and has been since birth, but self-identifies as a boy. The androgynous appearance, the passive, kind attitude. It just... clicks.

Oh, and do Nep's coughs mean anything like Jupy's headband twanging?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm not even going to touch all that's wrongheaded about Junpei's post.

If Venus' issues are what I think it is, I'm a little scared of what his devil will turn out to be as it's something I had to overcome myself.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Robindaybird posted:

I'm not even going to touch all that's wrongheaded about Junpei's post.

It was just a guess. I'm okay with being wrong (and I probably will be).
I guess my secondary Nep theory, suicidal, could be right on with Ven, based on your second sentence.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
I'm sure as poo poo not touching that, have a lovely Neptune

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my god I just got the thread title. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think Neptune might not actually be fine.

• Locked thread