Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

I kind of love this one.
It looks less like Jup's devil form and more like she's lost in her vices.

She has a hand for every kind of touch.
This one's for nose picking.
This one's for those slaps on the rear end before a big game of football.
This one's for wet willies.
Don't forget the bro-fist one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This one's for that uncomfortable arm touch from someone with no sense of personal space.

This one's for "feel how cold my hands are".

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
This one's for "Spare some change?"

I wonder what they do with their powers when they're not at camp? Jupiter would be an incredible masseuse, a hamd for every kind of cramp.

Neptune's a bit tricky.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't think the devil powers are things they can actively use.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Thematically speaking, I do like how the endings work, it actually does make sense to me that the person who is left out of the most events becomes the devil. Whoever it is has a lot more time in their own heads to basically self-confirm whatever it is they think is wrong with them. While the events can definitely showcase their own foibles/flaws, left alone it festers.

As for getting the true ending, my speculation is that while you can't evenly spread the interactions, it seems possible to do a 4-4-6 split in interactions or something. Two people having the least interactions doesn't seem to be leaving anyone out.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

[MUSIC: Greenhouse]

The devil is never on the same frequency, but you sometimes hear a bit of him by accident when you're changing channels.

By the time we find god he's already talking. He never says "for those just listening." He expects attentiveness.

God sounds like every boy you are afraid of talking at once.

GOD: —of the vanity to be seen and to see. The human eye sees clearly by the light of god, but the devil by his own light, and thus sees only his own truth. The meaning of the parable—

Lucifer is Latin for "morning star" or "light-bringing". The King James Bible's use of this word comes directly from the Vulgate, the Latin translation authored mostly by St. Jerome of the Septuagint—which is in turn the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible authored by 72 Jewish scholars for the Library of Alexandria. In the Septuagint, the word used is ἑωσφόρος, eosphoros, literally "Dawn-Bringer", translated from הילל בן שחר, "helel ben-shahar," in the original Hebrew. More to the point, all of these refer to the star in the sky we know as Venus.

From the Hebrew Bible to the Vulgate, the morning star Venus is likely a metaphor for the Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar II (or possibly his son Balthazar), infamous as the conqueror of Judah and the one responsible for the Babylonian captivity. In Isaiah 14:12-15 he is mocked, characterized as prideful and arrogant, and a prophecy is made that his time for retribution will come. You can make the connection in that Venus is the brightest star in the dawn, but is always outshone when the sun comes. There actually have been references to Venus with a similar theme even before the Bible, as far back as ancient Canaan, of gods or men whose arrogance led to their fall from grace.

We know Lucifer as another name for Satan, aka the Prince of Darkness ironically enough, but that's because the meaning of the word has morphed over the years from when it was used in the King James Bible. It may be because of the similarities to the dawn star metaphor and the fallen angel, or in reference to Nebuchadnezzar's described insanity, but who knows for sure how it happened. More recent translations have changed Lucifer to "morning star" or some variation, to separate it from the now common interpretation of Lucifer in English.

For comparison here's Isaiah 14:12 from the KJB version, the verse that's caused this centuries-old misnomer:

"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!"

And here's the same verse from the New International Version:

"How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!"

One last thing: just like with Parables, there's no Venus chapter in the Bible either. God is either misremembering his own book or an rear end in a top hat who steals theology from humans and acts like HE wrote it

♃: Shh, let's listen.
♆: Whatever.

GOD: —each of you shall choose. It is certain that the devil is coming.

♀: Oh no.

GOD: It is certain.

♆: I told you.

GOD: It is absolutely certain the devil is already here.

♃: ...

GOD: Parables I:I "The devil is only the shadow of man cast from the light of god."

GOD: The meaning of this parable is that there is no devil.

GOD: The weather is scheduled for 100 with humidity tomorrow. And now for the news—

[SFX: The radio turns off.]

Jupiter shuts off the radio.

Flac fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 17, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
NOTE: OBSERVATION, NOT THEORY

When the 4 AM purification came around before, Ven was said to have "brought the light". This is quite an obvious reference.
Funny how God's speech this time is about one of His subject's pride, but this ending is staring the wimpiest protagonist.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
the devil, ultimately, is the harrowing but necessary catharsis of the admission of one's own self-destruction
how curiously grim. it's not surprising why everyone in this world wears their misery on their sleeves.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why does everything seem ironic when we look at it from a future perspective?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
because humans are creatures that are extremely good at and highly disposed to detecting patterns in their environment, even when they're not there. it used to be very helpful to survival before we conquered the biosphere; false positives come with very little penalty other than embarrassment. now we don't have to worry about being eaten by other predatory species, and our concept of our environment has expanded to include everything that goes through our heads including our memories, but our pattern-finding instincts are still there

i'd say next question, but please go back to lurking junpei

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tollymain posted:

i'd say next question, but please go back to lurking junpei
Yes, ma'am.
I hope that you will find half-devil and full-devil acceptable terms.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
I'm gonna wait until the curtain call of this route to guess, but I STILL don't understand Venus' sin!
S/he's not arrogant nor prideful, as near I can tell.
S/he's just a kid trying to be good.

Bah, I don't know, but I'll need answers after s/he hulks out.

(

Dazzling Addar posted:

how curiously grim.

Huh? Somebody call me?
)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't think it's so much a question of sin as it is dysfunction. Venus is incredibly passive, so whatever his devil is, it should play off that somehow.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[SFX: A fire is burning.]

The fireflies are out tonight. So many we're afraid.

We feel a little like we wish we could get away. Just for a little while. To some place that's not this shack.

If the devil wasn't here then...something. There is something that could happen. The only thing in the world we want to do.

♀: It's too late. The devil's here. Just like on the radio.
♃: This place is awful, it's just making everything worse. We should get out of here. We need to get out of here.
♀: The captain won't let us...
♆: Screw him. Why do we have to deal with this. Why is this our problem!
♆: It's stupid. This is on purpose. There's no reason to come out to these stupid woods. I can't believe I came here like we actually deserved it!
♆: What did they think was going to happen?
♃: Neptune...
♃: It's—it will be okay. Okay?
♃: I think.
♆: Thanks.
♃: Haha. I tried! Sort of...
♆: Ah. Ahahaha. No, I actually—

[MUSIC: The Sirens]

Out the window, where Venus is pointing, there is a light like a flashlight. But it is not a flashlight.

♀: What is it.

Jupiter goes to the window to see. And this time it's true. We can see it too.

We know we should stay. We should just get it over with here, where it's easiest. It'll be better for him, too. But...

♃: ...we should go.
♆: Seriously. God. Yes.
♀: We shouldn't, I mean, isn't one of us supposed to stay here?

There's a light inside now. It doesn't do anything. It just wanders. It passes over Neptune and she shivers.

♆: Screw this. No waiting.
♃: Now.

[MUSIC: A New Apple]

♀: ...y-yeah.
♆: They hate streetlights, we should have run for the road!
♃: I know.
♆: I'm not mad, okay!
♆: But I was loving right!
♆: So if we die, you're not allowed to be mad??!

[SFX: Before they can run much further, Jupiter trips onto Venus.]

♃: Are you okay?
♀: Yeah.

Jupiter leaps up and pulls Venus and crashes directly into the ground again. Her foot hurts so bad she almost screams.

♃: S-sorry. Ohhhh god. gently caress.
♃: It's super bad.

Neptune holds Jupiter's hand so tight.

♃: It's probably...going to be fine.
♆: gently caress you.

Venus stands up. The lights flicker.

♀: Why won't you let me...
♀: Why can't you just let it have me.
♀: Why won't you go on without me.
♀: Why won't you?
♀: I don't want to be strong. I don't want to be that sort of person at all.
♀: The lights in the edge of my eyes.
♀: I want to see them so much.
♀: They're so horrible, I can't look away.
♀: I want them within me and without me. All through and about me. I want feathers in my lungs and eyes on my skin. I want my heart to see and my lungs to fly.
♀: I want to undo the division of day and night.
♀: I want to cast light over the city and shine shadows where the streetlights used to be.
♀: You're going to say I shouldn't give up, and there's hope, and we can all get through this...
♃: Please...don't.
♀: And that's not a lie but...
♆: Venus, no, get a grip. Stop.
♆: I promise, I won't—

Jupiter holds Neptune. For a second it looks like the light is lifting him up, like he's going up like Jeremiah.

It's exactly what we imagined.

We're so glad we're together now. But it still feels wrong. Stop for a second, and let us figure it out. But we don't deserve to get out with no regrets.

We are ready, and we can see the way out, is right there, right through there.

Flac fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 17, 2016

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[MUSIC: Incense (Smoke & Honey)]

Venus is a suffocation of air and light, a midwest summer sun so punishing it feels like a dream.

A summer that never ends is hell. Nothing could be worse than being hot and sticky and surrounded by people who vaguely hate you forever. A wet timeless nightmare of cloudy light.

Venus reaches out to us. She has eyes to fly with and wings to see. As terrible as an angel, be afraid. That wing to see the truth and that eye to lay it bare.

We feel the heat on our skin and recoil. It wants something from us, a lot of things, maybe everything.

The devil is lonely. We kicked out the devil and it must miss us. It keeps begging to be let back, to let it in.

And Venus did.

Every wish of the eyes belongs to it. Nothing can escape this light.

But we do.

We can't feel the beat of the wings or the light of the eyes.

We can't be seen.

We chose to cover our faces.

And the devil only ever gets one moment.

For revenge, for love, for "please see me."

But there is nothing to fear when there is two against the devil.

Neptune brings the water. Her radio cackles and bubbles and foams at its sharpest edge.

Jupiter brings the storm. Her radio blares and shrieks and the weight of it shudders.

Our radios scream and crash against her and the devil is destroyed.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[SFX: The morning birds are chirping.]

We're on the second highest branch, so we can see everyone, but no one can see us. Everyone else is climbing around the sirens, checking if we can get them any louder in the daylight.

Venus hangs from the highest branch he can. Steam peels off him. Nothing we can do about that but let it blow into the wind. A little bit of the devil always gets away.

[MUSIC: Growing Poppies]

Neptune crushes a leaf in her fingers. Jupiter holds her other hand. Like we need to.

♆: How much longer do we have?
♃: Until it's all gone, probably.
♆: All day?
♃: If we're lucky.
♆: Good.

Neptune checks her phone. But it's out of batteries.

♆: I'm so tired.
♃: Me too.
♆: Don't be tired. If I fall asleep, who's going to stop me from falling?
♃: I don't know. I guess we're both going to die.
♆: Haha.
♃: ...I promise I won't actually, though.
♆: Good.

♆: Right.
♆: Is your leg okay?
♃: Yeah. So don't let me fall either.
♆: Ha. Okay.
♆: So say if Venus falls, I'll catch him, and then you'll catch me?
♃: I'll totally try. But I think we'll definitely all die if that happens.
♆: In that case, you shouldn't then.
♃: I shouldn't. But I probably totally would. Wouldn't I be so cool? Like a real hero.
♆: Ahahaha.
♆: You totally would.
♆: It'd be funny.
♆: ...not sweet at all.

[Music stops]

And we wait.

If you're waiting for more closure, then good news: of course this isn't all there is. There is a True Ending, and we got one final playthrough left to get it.

Flac fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 17, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Huh, we happened to get an order where the devils look progressively more monstrous.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
I've been lurk watching this from the start. Venus finally got me. I was Venus.

So my Dad was a pastor who lost his church and we started floating around the other churches in the area. You name a biblical youth activity I did it. Bible Camp. Bible Quiz. Christian Fellowship. 24 Hour Famine? I headed it on the youth side. Vacation Bible School? I was one of the main actors and took photos. In all this I wasn't seen. I was the pastor who lost his church's kid. I was good enough, but not great. Nothing I did impacted me. I could never be good enough. I could never be bad enough. I'm typing this up to throw another view besides transgender into the ring. I was involved in everything. I saw everything. I knew everyones dirty laundry. I knew how they got the praise they often got. Me? It didn't matter what I did. I was just there.

This is probably rambling, but man, this got me. Hard. I didn't expect that Flac.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

devil he told me to roll roll roll roll
how to roll the log tonight

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And I see a bit of myself in Venus too, I got lead to believe that crying, getting angry, telling on people who hurt me and bully me was useless and only made it worse - and I don't like making people upset, even if I had every right to rip them a new one. So I kept it bottled in and in and in until the valve pressure couldn't hold it in anymore and I'd explode.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

tiistai posted:

devil he told me to roll roll roll roll
how to roll the log tonight

Thank God it wasn't just me.

I still don't think I fully understand this game, or that I can understand it. I grew up a straight white male in an irreligious California household. I've never been to a church except for a wedding or tourism. But I can appreciate its music and how well it's connecting with everyone here. The devs made a fantastic thing here.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Venus, the devil.

(Source.)

Can finally show off some of the really good fanart, since most of the best stuff in ensemble pieces.

(Source.)

(Source.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Junpei posted:

I still am holding true to my belief that Ven will turn out to be transgender. Not the medical kind, though. Venus is biologically a girl, and has been since birth, but self-identifies as a boy. The androgynous appearance, the passive, kind attitude. It just... clicks.

Close, but no cigar.

It's probably worth noting that one of the creators, Aevee Bee, is a trans woman. It's possibly worth noting that I am, too.

Venus is what we look like before we figure it out, or come to grips with it. Back when we know that being male feels like a rash, or a condemnation, but before we really know what to do about it. I'm told the hip kids call it "eggmode" these days.

Flac posted:

♃: You sure are not like other boys.
♀: Ha. Thank you. It would be a lot easier if I was though.
♃: ..."thank you?" Aha, I finally found a compliment you like.

That said, Venus's arc isn't entirely about being trans, or pre-trans. To be honest, Venus's arc has always been the hardest for me to interpret, beat-by-beat. I've got a bunch more words to write on her, but I haven't slept and my brain is mashed peas, so I'll get to that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

source

source??? i don't understand how this blog works anymore

anyway, that's red, blue, and yellow endings accounted for

but somebody always gets hurt, somebody always gets left behind. there's gotta be another way. right?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzIfpkeHamw

Sir_Faolan_Hound
Aug 19, 2010
Probably out of all the endings it was Venus's that made me take a break from the game for awhile, because I empathized with her so drat much and not just as somebody who is also trans.

Like the church I went to as a kid was a mega church, you know one of the churches that has like starbucks and all sorts of poo poo in em. You were expected to act a certain way, esp if you were a girl cause they were super traditional about women's roles and bullshit. But since at the time I was heavily closeted as trans as well as a whole bunch of other issues, and because of that I didn't act in the way they expected me to act and was pretty much ostracized because of it and nobody did anything to help me. So I just kept it bottled in until one day during youth group, I just sorta...exploded. It was kinda of a clusterfuck and it then that my parents basically decided that I didn't need to go to church anymore so yeah.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tollymain posted:

anyway, that's red, blue, and yellow endings accounted for

Clearly, we need to mod in Gold and Silver endings, too.

Anyway, yeah. Venus's deal is both obvious and incredibly vague. There's a reason that the game switches to the correct pronouns for Venus during her ending, but that's not the entire story. I think Venus's deal goes further than just the trans narrative, though I'm too bad at literary analysis to explain how or why.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Venus' ending is so rough to get through. :smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doublepost to point and laugh at Junpei getting it wildly wrong.

Empress Theonora posted:

Venus' ending is so rough to get through. :smith:

Kinda, yeah, but aside from it hitting too close to home, I also found it fascinating on a character-analysis basis. There's some interesting theming here, e.g. the "shone too bright and fell from heaven" similarity to the Lucifer character (in the Shin Megami Tensei sense), the covering in opened eyes, feathers in lungs and eyes to fly, all that. It's heavily connected to enlightenment, knowledge, and freedom, and it's no coincidence that those things are also correlated with being considered demonic in common American Christianity.

I really like how her ending and devil form was handled.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 6, 2016

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I'd recommend going back and rereading Venus' radio chat with god. Really, now that we've seen all three of the devils, I'd recommend rereading all of the radio chats, but I'll focus on Venus. Mostly because its surprisingly straightforward for such a vague character,, referring to a "beauty that is not god's."

Also, something I missed the first time I played through for myself:

Flac posted:

Venus reaches out to us. She has eyes to fly with and wings to see. As terrible as an angel, be afraid. That wing to see the truth and that eye to lay it bare.

We feel the heat on our skin and recoil. It wants something from us, a lot of things, maybe everything.

The narration, told from the girls' perspective though without a definitive speaker, very briefly acknowledges Venus' identity. Then, immediately dehumanizes her and refers to her as "it" for the rest of the descriptions. Its a short little thing and easier to see when written out like this, but not something I picked up on when I played.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it's just referring to the phenomenon of the heat, not venus herself.

"Our radios scream and crash against her and the devil is destroyed."

they return to referring to venus as male in the epilogue though, which really, is just as heartbreaking

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Pollyanna posted:

Clearly, we need to mod in Gold and Silver endings, too.
Surely it'd be a Black ending? Red+Blue+Yellow=Black

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yes! Called the eye thing!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's interesting that Jupiter's ending makes it clear that she's sleeping rather than dead, but Venus and Neptune have more ambiguous fates. What are the interpretations?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm assuming they don't want venus to fall to avoid further injury

neptune is vaguer

pretty sure aevee bee clarified somewhere that none of them die though

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

They'll live through it but no mention of what the consequences will be.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
They're not dead

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Y'all better have listened to A New Apple because its the best song in the soundtrack :colbert:

Some of the interpretations/connections people are making are really interesting. I wonder how this would've looked if the endings had happened in a different order. I bet people would've been much more confused by Venus's if that one came first, because 3 AM for Venus is the most mysterious one I feel? Other than the one thing made obvious, that she wants to be seen as a girl. Watching the devil come is paced differently between the endings; Neptune's is like a slasher flick and Jupiter's is like watching a nervous breakdown, but here it's mostly interaction between Jupiter and Neptune until whoops Venus isn't doing so hot.

That does fit into the theme of the game I explained before, and prior knowledge must make it so much worse so I'm glad it came out this way, but again this isn't always how it goes. Some people who focus on Jupiter and Neptune get this one first. I got this one before Neptune's.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tollymain posted:

i think it's just referring to the phenomenon of the heat, not venus herself.

"Our radios scream and crash against her and the devil is destroyed."

they return to referring to venus as male in the epilogue though, which really, is just as heartbreaking

I say that using it that much was a very deliberate choice, even if it could be referring to things besides Venus herself. In Jupiter and Neptune's endings, the survivors are very obviously aware of the fact that they just beat the devil out of their friend, and they feel like poo poo because of it. In this ending they... don't, really. They barely mention Venus at all, let alone think about how much of a mess she must be right now. The whole scene feels like they just beat a generic monster of the week, not a good friend of theirs. And in their heads, that's probably what they think of Venus as the Devil. Just another Devil, and that's all.

Flac posted:

Y'all better have listened to A New Apple because its the best song in the soundtrack :colbert:

So good it was used in the Steam trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I played through one route of the game before I checked out this LP, and... yeah, Venus spoke to me a lot, too. Basically everything Venus does and says and feels and, heck, even looks like could have easily been modeled on me at around this age, with the non-trivial exception that it turns out I was wrestling with sexuality, not trans issues. Jupiter and Neptune, not so familiar-looking, but Venus was like looking at what someone might have taken away from getting to know me as a teenager and just not recognizing the exact form of what I was wrestling with.

Rockopolis posted:

Surely it'd be a Black ending? Red+Blue+Yellow=Black

Pokemon. :ssh:

• Locked thread