Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

[SFX: The morning birds are chirping.]

Camp is much nicer, now that we have made some changes. The right angles were boring and distracting, and it was much too small.

The captain has no stories left for us. Neptune would not be satisfied until every lie was gone.

There's a crack as Jupiter tears down a siren, so Venus can set up a new kind, tuned to a different station.

Group South helps. They don't feel like they're supposed to hate her anymore. So they don't. Love shines through, in the end.

[MUSIC: Draining Neptune]

Neptune lets herself flow into the lake. It's going to take a lot of time before anyone notices if anything is wrong with the water, longer still to figure out where it's coming from.

We're hoping we can have a quiet time until then. With all of us. It went very badly with all of them against us three. We can only hope it'll get even worse.

As it turns out, they were pretty unhappy in those bodies too.

We're not too worried about if more come after us; actually, we hope they send us lots and lots of kids much better behaved than we were.

Adults also hate perfect kids who love the world so much they can't stop themselves from saving it.

And oh, do the kids know it.

Otherwise, they'd never try so hard, would they?

So we think they'll like it here too.

A new world, with new bodies.

How lovely will that be?

We have a new apple.

For everyone in the world.

And that's tha- nope wait hold on

[MUSIC: A New Apple]

and THAT is all of We Know The Devil. I hope you can see why I liked it so much.

Nothing left to do but add some bonus stuff. There were nice bits of analysis and writings on how WKTD resonated with people within the thread, so I'll gather up some good ones of those from before and after the story was over. At this point I'll have some things to say about the game myself too. I'll post some links of interest as well.

THANK YOU to the posters who read along, some of your first-time reactions were d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s. THANK YOU to the posters who played the game already and helped keep things on track/gushed about the game in the thread. BIG THANK YOU to anyone who bought the game themselves because of this LP, the main reason I did this was to give WKTD more attention and to push for more downloads on Steam or Date Nighto so I'm happy ya did it. And of course REALLY BIG THANK YOU to Aevee and Mia and Alec and everybody else in the credits for helping to make WKTD possible. I'd love to see stories like this one happen way more in games.

and FOR YOU, READER...

Flac fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was right! Devil parties are the best kind of party. :dance:

Flac posted:

♀: She was nice.
Haha, I was not expecting Venus to have the same reaction I did to last update.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What a really loving good game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
God drat, I still can't believe how good the writing in this game is.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I missed the "She was nice." from Venus my first time around which has now jumped pretty hard up my list of favorite lines in the game

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wish there was a thoughtful-looking, armless version of Venus for that scene.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Other things I missed: the red mist for Jupiter was her blood which supports really hard the self-harm interpretation of the bracelet-snapping.

Sindai posted:

I wish there was a thoughtful-looking, armless version of Venus for that scene.

I think that'd run the risk of ruining the mood and/or make the horror more evident than they wanted it to be in that scene (since everyone finally reaching out to each other was and should be the focus)

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
If anyone wants to read the Best Possible review of We Know the Devil, here it is

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that review so baaaaaaaaaaaad it wraps back around to being funny
i know people who'd miss the point that hard, so i'm pretty sure it's real

my actual, real favorite line in the game

♃ posted:

Promise me hell is right there, right behind that door. All of it. Promise, really promise, there's no going back.

whew. well, that's it. that's the end. all that's left is whatever analysis people have and junpei inevitably barging back into the thread with Opinions if it stays open long enough for the probation to wear off

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flatluigi posted:

Other things I missed: the red mist for Jupiter was her blood which supports really hard the self-harm interpretation of the bracelet-snapping.

poo poo, maybe she did paint the walls red after all

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Saraiguma posted:

If anyone wants to read the Best Possible review of We Know the Devil, here it is

quote:

You know what my thoughts as the credits rolled after the True Ending was? I imagined a scenario in which the last faithful Christian manages to get out an SOS before one of the protagonists cuts off their head and that SOS makes it to a Muslim Magical Girl Camp in the next town over. So now it’s up to the Muslims to save the dumbass fallen Christians from themselves and put a stop to the Devil once and for all. I doubt this particular creative team will go with that for a sequel, but someone needs to take the Muslim Magical Girl ball and run with it.

hoooooooly gently caress, boys

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when the point doesn't go sailing over your head, its trajectory was 90 degrees vertical into space to get off this hellforsaken planet and away from you

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That review is pretty tone-deaf, but I think it is fair to say that what you get out of this game depends a lot on what perspective you're seeing it from, and that if you're an older straight guy (like me!), you're going to miss out on a lot of the subtext of the game if you're just playing it by yourself. I'm definitely glad that I had the thread to explain what was being implied; if not for all of you, I would've found this mildly entertaining but not really got it at all.

Edit: I, uh, didn't read that far into it. I may have to go back and actually take in the whole thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe he would have liked it more if there was a scene where Venus tripped and fell into Neptune's boobs.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I don't think I have ever read a piece of fiction that managed to make someone nonchalantly tearing their own arm off into such a touching moment. :unsmith:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fanart for the road

source

source

source

the best feel-good horror ending since, idk, i can't think of any because i haven't consumed that much horror

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

conglaturation to group west

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Flac posted:

But we can't wait to see what they'll do against the three worst girls since Eve.

This line is :perfect:.

This game has the best writing I've seen for a very long time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would like to thank (and curse) gutter owl, for introducing me to this game roughly a month or so after it came out

it has haunted me since, and will in all likelihood do so until the day that i die :v:

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

I found out about it when toby fox retweeted its release (this was just before undertale came out) and i knew about mia schwartz from her comic strawberries, i saw her name on it and decided i'd have to check it out. i didn't actually do so until december and i regret waiting that long :cry:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

It's a beautiful game, about the last act of radical freedom available to many people anymore: forging your own identity when it is contrary to the one imposed upon you. There are few things as terrifying and so natural as self-actualization.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Thank you for this LP, Flac. We Know the Devil was, and is, a deeply significant game for me. I played through it in an evening, but it hasn't left me for months. I will die with these kids in my heart. I'm so glad to see it reach more people.

We Know the Devil is a letter for all the terrified queer kids stranded in the middle of nowhere, and the old queer adults who inherited their wounds: It hurts to see you like this. But we see you. Trapped in a hurricane of your own conflicted needs; poisoned with a bitterness you never asked for; shining in your vulnerability. We see you. And there's no need for penitence, for forgiveness, for absolution. There is a better option, a better world, an apotheosis. There is room for all of you in our world.

We have a new apple. For everyone in the world.

(Source.)

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
UHG!

So Good!

Totally worth getting my twitter blocked by Aevee Bee (uh...don't ever tell her she looks like a young Malcolm McDowell)

There's a lot to peel apart from the true ending.
I think it's best to take everything as all symbolic or all literal, but nothing in between.
Neptune continues to completely rock, saying "loving gently caress it! I'm jumping off the cliff before they push me off! Come with me!"
Venus just sort of bumbles into her answer while Neptune and Jupiter argue if it's a good idea.
And poor Jupt still wants to be a good girl after her friends have already come to terms with the Devil.

At least SOME of this is cut and dry.
Venus was a she in a he's body.
No surprise.

My only regret is the scene predictably fading to black before the grand fight starts.
The girls v. EVERYONE!
That's a battle I would have enjoyed.
Apparently there was body-shedding involved.

SOOO many Thanks, Flac, for presenting this.
This was good.
This was very very good.

Ooo, I like that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Grimwit posted:

Totally worth getting my twitter blocked by Aevee Bee (uh...don't ever tell her she looks like a young Malcolm McDowell)

jesus loving christ dude

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Grimwit posted:

ahahahahaha omfg

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Cool game, awesome music, thanks for sharing OP

what the gently caress is wrong with you?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Going to go out on a limb and guess that Aevee Bee is a trans woman? If so then yeah, "oh hi you look like just like someone of the gender that you've spent your entire life trying to get away from" is in fact not a harmless observation but rather one of the most hurtful things you can possibly say while maintaining plausible deniability about actual malice. If that wasn't what you were going for then you should read a primer on trans issues so you don't gently caress up the same way twice, and if it was then gently caress you.

(If Aevee Bee isn't a trans woman then I don't understand what the fuss is about to be honest...)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Grimwit posted:

:lol:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

pumpinglemma posted:

Going to go out on a limb and guess that Aevee Bee is a trans woman?

yes

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
grimwit might i recommend a stay in the junpei cornerTM

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
Nope, you hit the nail on the head. Fuckwit up there really lived up to his name.

This was an incredible LP, Flac, and I'm really glad the thread was mostly on the level. The contributions made to this thread by analysis or the sharing of experiences was outstanding.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I maintain my stance that I would've felt ripped off had I bought this game for $6.66, but for a game I got for free it was a'ight. Of the three worst girls since Eve, Neptune is the worstest and therefore the bestest.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
:3::hf::cthulhu:

Thanks for sharing the adventure with us.

Nobody else has yet mentioned the "One moment is all we need" line. Really nicely parallels the three Bad Ends.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Grimwit posted:

what the actual gently caress

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've been chuckling like an rear end in a top hat for the past ten minutes because of that malcolm mcdowell line, jesus loving christ Grimwit

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Grimwit posted:

hahahaha you hilarious dumbfuck

i doubt you meant that maliciously but loving hell dude

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I love this ending so much. This game already resonated with me before I got it, but wow.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Grimwit, Aevee didn't block you because she personally hates hearing that, you were blocked because telling a woman—one you don't know no less!—that she looks like a man is a massively stupid thing to do in general. So my hot tip is to not do that, and, if everything above this isn't enough indication, choose your next words very carefully. Or don't choose any at all.

Pyradox posted:

I love this ending so much. This game already resonated with me before I got it, but wow.

I love it too. Not to say the other ends don't have sympathy for the characters in them, but this one hit me hard after seeing those. Especially with Jupiter, who didn't let go that easily :(

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Flac posted:

I love it too. Not to say the other ends don't have sympathy for the characters in them, but this one hit me hard after seeing those. Especially with Jupiter, who didn't let go that easily :(
Absolutely. It's an incredibly cathartic ending in a way that other games rarely manage to achieve. It's not as simple as "you defeated all the bad guys", because their conflicts weren't that simple. Games are so often individualistic power fantasies, but it's so rare that you get one where winning isn't about being the hero, but about being someone you can actually live with.

Even RPGs which are all about defining your character's role, their class and their skills tend to place you in a single heroic role from which you can't escape. You still define yourself in terms of what others want you to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pyradox posted:

Games are so often individualistic power fantasies, but it's so rare that you get one where winning isn't about being the hero, but about being someone you can actually live with.

this is a really good way of putting part of what makes this game so good

i wish i could say things like this instead of facile jokes

• Locked thread