Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Tollymain posted:

yeah that's fine, as long as later is "asap after it confirms"

Alrght but just to be clear, I didn't grab it, someone else did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
For everybody else who's waiting on the steam release: I been hearing a rumblin in the winds of dev twitter lately so I suspect it's gonna be very soon

i dont mean TODAY soon but...soonish

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Flac posted:

For everybody else who's waiting on the steam release: I been hearing a rumblin in the winds of dev twitter lately so I suspect it's gonna be very soon

i dont mean TODAY soon but...soonish

I know what everyone who vaguely knows me is getting for Christmas next year...

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Tollymain posted:

jesus, it's not long but it took me a full night to play through back when i got it :v:

I dunno, maybe I read fast?

it was a pretty enjoyable hour and a half mind you, so I don't really mind the brevity.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[MUSIC: Greenhouse]

♀: It's done.
♀: Well, shall we tune in on god?
♆: Whatever.
♀: We could also try calling the captain again...
♃: Hmm, yeah, we could—

♆: Calling will absolutely make everything worse, it always does.
♆: If there was any chance the devil wouldn't come, god will ruin it. But who cares. Of course the devil is coming tonight.
♆: So do it.

We arrange our radios in a circle. We all hold on to a length of copper wire. We feel like we're part of a christmas display. We pray.

♆: We don't really need to pray to it.
♀: Sorry. I'm just so used to it. I start hearing it in my head, as soon as we start, every time.
♃: Right? It just pops in my head.
♆: *sigh* Same, it's fine. I'm just saying.

We hold hands. We're looking for the signal. We can tell the difference between god and the devil; finding god is pretty easy. He's 109.8 FM.

The devil is never on the same frequency, but you sometimes hear a bit of him by accident when you're changing channels.

By the time we find god he's already talking. He never says "for those just listening." He expects attentiveness.

God sounds like every boy you are afraid of talking at once.

GOD: —the fist which can give takes too, and gives by taking, or takes by giving. Just as a word is honest or dishonest not by how it is spoken, but by he who speaks it, so is the honesty of touch—

♃: Shh, let's listen.
♆: Whatever.

GOD: —each of you shall choose. It is certain that the devil is coming.

♀: Oh no.

GOD: It is certain.

♆: I told you.

GOD: It is absolutely certain the devil is already here.

♃: ...

GOD: Parables I:I "The devil is only the shadow of man cast from the light of god."

There is definitely no parables chapter in the Bible, though this saying itself might be real, in some form or another? It could refer to Plato's cave allegory, but other than that I don't know, sorry.

GOD: The meaning of this parable is that there is no devil.

GOD: The weather is scheduled for 100 with humidity tomorrow. And now for the news—

[SFX: The radio turns off.]

Jupiter shuts off the radio.

♀: We should have called the captain.
♆: What would he have done, even.
♀: Something else?
♀: It's okay, it's not the end of the world, it's not like being the devil means you're going to die. The devil just happens—
♆: Don't pity me.
♃: It'll be the end of something.
♀: It's me.

Flac fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 26, 2016

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

Flac posted:

God sounds like every boy you are afraid of talking at once.

This is probably one of my favorite scenes in the game. The portrayal of God not as a comforting presence but as an ominous, oppressive, almost alien force that's always there, just watching you, gives me the willies every time.

and then he turns out to be an actual radio DJ (maybe??) and i don't know what the gently caress

Kelsing fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 13, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So they... become the devil? The devil was one of them all along? Or at least one of them will. Neptune seems pretty confident that it will be her.
Also this God is weird even by the standards of divinities.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kelsing posted:

and then he turns out to be an actual radio DJ (maybe??)and i don't know what the gently caress
Man, that's old news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhSB8EEnCAM

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope the endings aren't paced out too wide, they really need to be experienced roughly in one piece imo

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Okay nerdlings, this is your last chance for the raw, lonely experience. The train makes no more stops. God has already condemned you.

Go here. Make an account. Pay HAIL SATAN dollars.

Know the devil.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hail gay satan

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that could have and perhaps should have been literally every post i made in this thread but the need to vaguepost is too strong

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
So I'm guessing the four endings are the three different characters being the devil and then the secret dance party ending.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4th ending is the one where you discover the dog was controlling everything from the start

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I just noticed that, with God, the weather is "scheduled" and not predicted or forecasted.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Tollymain posted:

i hope the endings aren't paced out too wide, they really need to be experienced roughly in one piece imo

If you mean the updates for each individual ending I agree, I'm planning to post the final updates for this playthrough one after another. All of them should be up within a period of a few hours at worst.

If you mean showing nearly every ending neck and neck well..........we still got a substantial second playthrough to do. I'll skip what we've seen before of course but there's gonna be some time between this ending and the next

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no, not that second one, hahaha

that would be loving crazy

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

i mean i did try to figure out how i'd do that for a good half an hour until i realized, i'm stupid and that's not gonna work

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

Okay nerdlings, this is your last chance for the raw, lonely experience. The train makes no more stops. God has already condemned you.

Go here. Make an account. Pay HAIL SATAN dollars.

Know the devil.

yeah okay sure, i'm on my seat edge and it was inevitable besides. see you all on the other side.

e: I can't believe what I just played.

A Bad Place fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 13, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm curious how many blind-watch folks in this thread are interested in the game specifically for the horror elements, or the queer elements, or, well, i can't think of any other particular hooks along those lines right now im tired cut me some slack

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Tollymain posted:

i'm curious how many blind-watch folks in this thread are interested in the game specifically for the horror elements, or the queer elements, or, well, i can't think of any other particular hooks along those lines right now im tired cut me some slack
The writing is funny. I like that.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I only just started reading the thread and I'm actually intrigued in where it's going.

Like I'm expecting something out of the ordinary is just normal in that univerise like in Pathologic. Or maybe it's very subtle in the whole devil/god thing and it's not as outlandish as it seems.

Or...it could all be just a dream where they are actually just telling ghost stories at a campfire.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Tollymain posted:

I'm mainly interested in seeing what all this build-up is leading to.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

A Bad Place posted:

yeah okay sure, i'm on my seat edge and it was inevitable besides. see you all on the other side.

e: I can't believe what I just played.
I just did the same, and wow.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Please Play We Know The Devil

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008

Tollymain posted:

I guess I was excited by the idea of a horror game about teen stuff, queer stuff, the stuff that actually scared me back when I was a sad bible kid. Honestly, I expected it to be a mess. But.

If you are curious about this game. Please pay your :devil:bux and play.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

i dont know what im reading anymore

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you're reading lots of endorsement for satan, it seems

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Tollymain posted:

Good question. Queer, I guess. I'm not really getting a horror vibe, though.
I do like how ordinary the crystals and magic is being treated.
That it's an SSLP makes it easy to follow along.

Is this a bible camp in some Harry Turtledove alt-Earth?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't think it's alt-history if that's what you mean.

god is real, and you can tune in to his radio station. the devil is real enough to be a statistical cause of death

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tollymain posted:

god is real, and you can tune in to his radio station. the devil is real enough to be a statistical cause of death

I think they're referring to Toxic Spelldump which is more Urban Fantasy - just instead of secret vampires, every piece of technology we use is instead magical devices or blessed by gods, such as flying carpets and casting sympathy magic on alpine snow to artificially whiten teeth.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I think WKTD is definitely angling for more of a magical realism feel than a full urban fantasy feel. The presence of the unnatural is never really explained or codified, and seems to work more on emotional principles than logical ones.

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

Tollymain posted:

What kills more people, sharks or the devil?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
grays, it turns out

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That scene is mostly the same for all the endings, but it was the last one to do so. 3 AM is when poo poo gets real.

The devil is here, and the devil is lonely.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The weirdest thing I've read so far in this thread is the ban on whatever "purpling" is defined as in American Jesus camps

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

tiistai posted:

The weirdest thing I've read so far in this thread is the ban on whatever "purpling" is defined as in American Jesus camps
Boys blue, girls red. No purpling.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't think it's a concern at this camp so much for some reason. i'm honestly not specifically sure why

e: i mean from a doylist perspective i know why but w/e

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 13, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Poison Mushroom posted:

Boys blue, girls red. No purpling.

Yes but why

e: Actually what I want to know is to what extent

tiistai fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Gutter Owl posted:

I think WKTD is definitely angling for more of a magical realism feel than a full urban fantasy feel. The presence of the unnatural is never really explained or codified, and seems to work more on emotional principles than logical ones.
I thought they were too blase about the magic for it to really be magical realism. It's just another, ordinary part of the world, like cellphones.

• Locked thread