Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Without getting into if Venus is considered a boy or girl, I think the big issue first off here is that I'm not sure who the narrator is.

I almost want to assume it's Neptune because we're privy to her text messages and all, but the narration gives insight into both her and Jupiter, which then made me think this is told from Venus' perspective, but then he gets addressed too during the second update.

Is there a fourth, unseen person holding the metaphorical camera? Or... if this was more clear it would be interesting if all three of the teens were narrating, with each one chiming in to fill in in gaps before another continues off.

That aside, I'm curious to see how this turns out. That the camp counselor is wearing a cowrie shell necklace makes me chuckle, since from what I remember of the Bible camps I went to in my early teens it's fairly accurate to say they wore stuff like that all the time.

EDIT: Also, I wonder what's with the Sailor moon refs. Not the names of the teens, but they mention Transformation sequences and monsters of the week, which seems bizarre here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
♀ + ♆

..When they say Fix the sirens, I hope they mean, like actual PA system sirens which I could buy being every-rear end-where along a summer camp. For a moment, the talk of crystals and diodes made me thing they were jury rigging something together to deal with Siren monsters.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
"...Magical Girls go to Christian Summer Camp, but aren't allowed to henshin, so there's tons of monster warning systems in check they have to maintain," sounds like some of the best worst fanfiction the internet can offer.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
While this may well be an exercise in futility or just plain thinking too hard on the subject, I am starting to wonder what kind of Christian camp this is, beyond 'disturbingly bad.'

I imagine this is based off a Protestant denomination thing, but Jupiter's wearing pants so it's not Mormon/Mennonite/Pentecostal related and the groups are co-ed which...actually seems almost odd. Admittedly, I went to 'Young Life' camps back in the day which were for the most part, taking kids to *fun* places up in the mountains with water slides or rope courses. They were overall designed to be a positive scene; for a week or two you spend the day with friends from church in a young adult's playground and during the evening there'd be Jesus talks more about how refreshing being nice to to one another can be opposed to SINNERS! REPENT THE poo poo OUT OF YOURSELVES!!! But even with positive organizations like YL, they'd have male leaders watching over the guys from a church group, and a woman would be in charge of the girls; they wouldn't co-mingle except for large team events like water balloon fights and so on. Even when I was part of a missionary thing, going into an inner-city area in Nashville to help at homeless shelters, they had chaperons and youth leaders of both genders, and more importantly, NOBODY would bring up the devil like they do here. In hindsight, for reasons which I'm sure are benign *and* also varied, none of the camps/church trips/ et. all would bring up The Devil or anything worse than making an example of some imagined 'prodigal child' type. "Oh no, I spent so much time rocking out and drinking booze, my life is an empty shell." That sort of thing. Without going into the merits of Christianity itself, or Christian camps as a practice, at least that scene was far more nurturing.

This place,has more of an oppressive cultish vibe going to it. Everyone gets a white Crucifix shirt to wear. Everything is way out in the sticks away from outside influences, cellphones excluded, but that's probably modern things worming its way into something I bet has been going on for some time. Captains sending off the impressionable youth to go fix and repair poo poo in the woods; it's making them work instead of taking their minds off whatever's waiting for them back home. I guess what I'm saying is, when you hold an example of evil over these campers' heads, the camp itself is *probably* going to provide some examples..... :ohdear:

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Ahaha. It took me a second to remember that phrase. Thanks for the memories, google!

At the time, I was a dork who thought Final Fantasy VII was the greatest thing ever and was also too busy daydreaming about the Slayers anime and reading its fanfiction. I sure as hell wasn't going to notice even if that was going on everywhere or kept to a minimum.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
♃ + ♆

I don't see what's so bad about that cabin, personally, other than letting yourself imagine there's three inches of dirt and dust inside, a possum colony, half the floor is broken, or there's a basement with dead everything in it.

(At one of the Young Life Camps I went to (down in Florida. In July) we were in a cabin whose AC unit busted five seconds after we arrived late in the afternoon and we had to sweat it out until a repair man could show up the following afternoon. One of the other campers, a football jock who wasn't so much a bully but just played too rough snapped after lasting till midnight and ran off into the night yelling BATMAN on repeat for no discernible reason. I can't remember what happened after that, it was so humid and hot in the cabin, but he seemed okay for the rest of the week.)

Though this whole affair about having electricity this far out in the woods constitutes a horrible fire hazard makes me wonder how far away the camp is from any kind of civilization, or better yet,help should the need arise. nice way to point out how *oh so isolated* we're about to get.

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 26, 2016

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
♀ + ♆

Okay, yeah, NOW I see what's wrong with the cabin.

quote:

Also I wonder if Neptune's coughing an ominous foreshadowing thing here or is she just allergic to nerds who literally don't even know the rules to truth-or-dare.

:ohdear:

People in stories of any medium cough typically because either some dusty thing just dropped on the floor, someone just threw a smoke bomb, or it's a Chekov's Gun of sorts. Unless Neptune's allergic to the fuana this half-assed cabin is collecting...

The fact that they're lamenting lacking a fourth person (guess that means there's no invisible cameraman after all unless the dude's really unpopular) does hold some interest to me, though. And not because this is in clear violation of purpling rules of *legit* Christian camps.

Were these three arbitrarily assigned to a group?

They know each other, but it's been implied they aren't the most BFF bunch around camp and given that their only shared interest is the job of repairing poo poo out in the woods, it seems to me that some councilor/captain/whomever assigned teams for all the kids and didn't let friends buddy up.

That, or perhaps more interestingly, these three were the only ones who didn't want to be part of any other group until Campfire Captain or someone saw they were the only ones not part of a team and mandated lumping them together.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
♀ + ♆

Venus being the camp's punching bag doesn't surprise me in the least, but at least Jupiter and Neptune are ambivalent+ about it. I kinda feel that in her own way Neptune's trying to help him.

Speaking of...I think after the last one, I'm ready to guess what's going on.

Neptune is sick, and not just sick of the flowers/Venus screwing up the game/ life in general; she's got some plot sickness going on. This game focuses into the aspects of cultish Christian behavior. And what's one of the worst things associated with fundamentalist/fringe/televangelist slices of Christianity? HEALING! Instead of going to a doctor or a hospital, mom and dad put her through the ministrations of fat southern evangelicals who horde more money than Smaug, guys on the TV box who claim to beat the demons out, and/or any other cultso-nutso group brandishing crosses, and of course, lovely radio-repair summer camps. Either that, or in desperation after the doctors all told them it's hopeless, they threw her to the religious lions.

She carries a phone around all the time, maybe she's tech savy and has become jaded, or maybe she has the phone in case of a medical emergency but uses it freely because, why the gently caress not? She's jaded; tired of this scene, and probably been to *alot* of summer camps, or this one in particular for a while.

Either in case she actually finds Jesus and he heals her up, or to get her out of the way while making it 'look' good, I'm not sure.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure *none* of these kids are here willingly. Not just as a team, but in general. Jupiter's thread analysis speaks for her, but for Venus... well, he could just be a naive nobody who came to camp expecting something else, but he probably was sent here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
♃ + ♆

I'm in the minority here, but I I wanna see what happens with Jupiter as opposed to leaving her levelheadedness behind in case Venus and Neptune were to need bailing out.

• Locked thread