Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

RickVoid posted:

I know nothing about this game other than what we've seen so far, but I understand what the wristband thing is about and everytime Jupiter does it it's unsettling as gently caress.

Yeah. Jupiter's arc definitely spoke to me hard, that gesture included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Elastic or rubber bands are also often used as a sort of misguided aversion therapy, particularly associated with a certain kind of Christian guilt.

She's punishing herself for having bad thoughts.

Specifically, gay thoughts.

EDIT: Also wow, you're all really old? Or something?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Just went back to check the other occurances.

I feel a little bad now. But maybe edit out the spoiler?

Yeah, that was supposed to be spoiler-tagged, not bold-tagged.

Although I don't think it's much of a spoiler if you're paying attention. Or read the OP.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

To be fair to the writers, Sailor Moon does in fact rule.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

What's the first sailor moon rule?

Sometimes the hardest thing in the world is believing in yourself. But set your mind and heart on it, and anything is possible. Bye now!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Venus and Neptune.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Venus and Neptune

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

brycepahatesyou posted:

♃ + ♆ because they probably could hold their liquor better then Venus

This is the exact reason to vote Venus and Neptune.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

(Comic drawn by the game's artist, Mia Schwartz, and not actually a spoiler.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Jupiter and Neptune.

Jupiter and Neptune.

JUPITER AND NEPTUNE.

This is the best non-ending scene in the game and also the crucial setup for what's gonna happen next and we are going to watch it together you fuckers aren't going to take this from me.

Jupiter. And. Neptune.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Flac posted:

:siren: Oooook for everybody who's played wktd already: be careful with your words. You can say "I'm voting this because it's my favorite choice and I love what happens" because I understand, but "this choice is the most NECESSARY for plot" is too close to spoilers for me, even when it's not entirely true, so chill with that please.

Sorry, you're right.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

thechosenone posted:

The suspense is killing me: how does one win 7 minutes in heaven? also, what exactly is it again?

You get locked in a closet with someone for seven minutes, and you're supposed to make out.

If the makeouts are hot, you win.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

thechosenone posted:

Its hard to describe how this scene makes me feel. I just wish I could read stories that could do that more often.

Please tell me there's a happy ending in here somewhere. I don't think my heart could take it if this can only end tragically.

The devil will be here soon.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

Where's the fun in that?

EDIT: So I take it that Anime coughing girl Neptune is the queer one of the three but do the same stuff happen if you throw blonde Shinji and Jupiter into the closet as well?

You may have missed it somehow, but that gay makeout had two people in it. Jupiter is very much Not Straight.

(I'm not even going to talk about Venus. We will get to Venus in due time.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Venus and Neptune

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Okay nerdlings, this is your last chance for the raw, lonely experience. The train makes no more stops. God has already condemned you.

Go here. Make an account. Pay HAIL SATAN dollars.

Know the devil.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I think WKTD is definitely angling for more of a magical realism feel than a full urban fantasy feel. The presence of the unnatural is never really explained or codified, and seems to work more on emotional principles than logical ones.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Jupiter, the devil.

(Source. Be careful of scrolling, or else spoilers.)

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 16, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Flac posted:

GOD: It is absolutely certain the devil is already here.

Flac posted:

But for a moment after it feels like we are holding each other. We can feel the hands, like they're right there in the air.

Flac posted:

♆: You can wait it out forever. As long as you don't say it.
♃: I hope I can.
♃: But even if I don't say it, I still feel it.
♃: Like a hand in the air.
♃: Holding tight.
♆: It's okay.
♃: Is it?
♆: I said it's okay, so it's okay. Stop talking. Stop talking forever.
♆: I'm drunk. You're drunk. Can't see anything, double lock, nothing is happening.
♆: Your hands, either way...

Flac posted:

God sounds like every boy you are afraid of talking at once.

GOD: —the fist which can give takes too, and gives by taking, or takes by giving. Just as a word is honest or dishonest not by how it is spoken, but by he who speaks it, so is the honesty of touch—

Flac posted:

Or, it turned out, we already were.

Flac posted:

GOD: —each of you shall choose. It is certain that the devil is coming.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 16, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

It's hard to discuss what the endings mean without talking about the other endings.

We'll get into it later in the thread. For now, hold tight, and trust that the endings will illuminate each other, in how they are similar and how they diverge.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Flac posted:

♃: Like how you don't have to touch someone to touch someone? You know?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Neptune, the devil.

(Source. Again, spoilers. Not the best image in the series, but there's just not a great deal of devil-Neptune fanart for some reason?)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

If Jupy's secret was she's gay, my money's on Ven being transgender and Nep's sado-masochistic. I could be wrong, though.

Been wanting to comment on this since I saw it, but I wanted to wait until after we'd seen Neptune's ending.

WKTD isn't about discovering "secrets." Rather, it's about the things that drive our scared and lonely teens into being the Other.

Jupiter isn't the devil because she's gay. She's the devil because she's closeted and ashamed and terrified. She desperately wants intimacy and touch, but she's internalized the idea that here desire isn't just wrong, it's actively poisonous. She believes her desire can hurt people, or hurt herself.

Flac posted:

♃: Ahaha.
♃: Gross.
♃: I'm gross.

And so she tries to drive the desire out, through her wristband-punishment and her obsessive goodness. But she can't drive it out. And the conclusion she comes to is, she must be inherently broken.

Flac posted:

♃: You shouldn't touch me.
♃: I wasn't born good.

---

Neptune, on the other hand, doesn't have a big capital-s Secret. Sure, she's also some variety of lowkey not-straight, but she's much more okay with it. Sure, her approach to the closet is a little messed up, and absolutely not the right thing to tell poor Jupiter--

Flac posted:

♃: Not that I'm saying it.
♆: ...you get it.
♆: The midwest is great. All you have to do is not say it out loud.
♆: It's like a spell. And you can be as obvious as you want about everything else.
♆: You can wait it out forever. As long as you don't say it.

--but it doesn't keep her up at night or anything. Instead, her struggle with the world is a lot more fundamental: She's a girl, and she has the utter audacity not to be meek and ashamed and quiet.

Flac posted:

♆: I'm an evil bad slut right? I'm a bitch and a flirt.
♆: I'm a bitch because I let people know when they walk over me.
♆: I'm a flirt because boys keep talking at me.
♆: And this is somehow my problem, because they can't get over themselves and leave me alone?

And where Jupiter is passive in her conflict with the world, Neptune is very, very aggressive. She lashes out. She spits bile (ha).

That said, Nep does have a her own small-s secret, which she tries not to let on. All her aggression? All the fantastically sick burns and pure teenage girl fury? It's not working. She can't hurt the world hard enough that it stops hurting her. It's not possible. But all she knows how to do is double down. Get madder. Hit harder. Keep going until your knuckles bleed. Keep going until you kill yourself fighting.

Worse though, is Jupiter and Neptune's passivity. She can see her own suffering mirrored in them, and she sees them just lie down and take it, and she can't bear it. She needs them to fight back, for the same reason she needs to fight back. And if she has to MAKE THEM fight back, then so loving be it.

Flac posted:

♀: Don't you want to at least make stuff a little easier for her?

♆: I want to make it so bad she has to say it. I want to hear it out loud.

If that means literally drowning them in her own anger and black bile, so be it.

Flac posted:

♆: Ha. Sorry. Stay good there Venus.
♆: Drink up.

Neptune lets the ichor drizzle off her finger. Like it's chocolate syrup. Jupiter screams and pushes her but Neptune won't even flinch. She ignores her completely.

---

As for Venus, well. We'll get to Venus.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I love this game so much.

I am absolutely writhing with things to say about it once we've seen the next ending, I can barely contain myself.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Venus, the devil.

(Source.)

Can finally show off some of the really good fanart, since most of the best stuff in ensemble pieces.

(Source.)

(Source.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

I still am holding true to my belief that Ven will turn out to be transgender. Not the medical kind, though. Venus is biologically a girl, and has been since birth, but self-identifies as a boy. The androgynous appearance, the passive, kind attitude. It just... clicks.

Close, but no cigar.

It's probably worth noting that one of the creators, Aevee Bee, is a trans woman. It's possibly worth noting that I am, too.

Venus is what we look like before we figure it out, or come to grips with it. Back when we know that being male feels like a rash, or a condemnation, but before we really know what to do about it. I'm told the hip kids call it "eggmode" these days.

Flac posted:

♃: You sure are not like other boys.
♀: Ha. Thank you. It would be a lot easier if I was though.
♃: ..."thank you?" Aha, I finally found a compliment you like.

That said, Venus's arc isn't entirely about being trans, or pre-trans. To be honest, Venus's arc has always been the hardest for me to interpret, beat-by-beat. I've got a bunch more words to write on her, but I haven't slept and my brain is mashed peas, so I'll get to that.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I got Neptune first. When the first choice came up (♀+ ♃ / ♀+ ♆), I wanted to get to know Jupiter. And then I kept going in that direction.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

(Source.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Flac posted:

THE DEVIL: It hurts to see you like this so much.

is my favorite line of the game.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Thank you for this LP, Flac. We Know the Devil was, and is, a deeply significant game for me. I played through it in an evening, but it hasn't left me for months. I will die with these kids in my heart. I'm so glad to see it reach more people.

We Know the Devil is a letter for all the terrified queer kids stranded in the middle of nowhere, and the old queer adults who inherited their wounds: It hurts to see you like this. But we see you. Trapped in a hurricane of your own conflicted needs; poisoned with a bitterness you never asked for; shining in your vulnerability. We see you. And there's no need for penitence, for forgiveness, for absolution. There is a better option, a better world, an apotheosis. There is room for all of you in our world.

We have a new apple. For everyone in the world.

(Source.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Now that I've watched this ending for the, iunno, fourth or fifth time, and had reason to write down my thoughts on each character, I think it's particularly interesting which of our girls discovers the devil in her first. Not brash, bitter Neptune, but shy and submissive Venus.

This is because Venus's otherness is based in sincerity and vulnerability. (I never really got to talk about Venus, the biggest cipher of the cast. But I think the final ending helps unlock her for us.)

Venus wants to be seen, in all the truth of who she is. She's not good at articulating what that IS, of course--she's still stuck in eggmode for much of the story, which entails a certain degree of not-knowing-why-it-hurts. (Speaking from experience, of course.) But she's not afraid to hurt visibly, even when people don't want to see her hurt, or even want to hurt her more. She's appallingly honest with her tenderness, where Jupiter and Neptune both hide behind defensive personas. So when the chance comes to throw away her body and Become the Devil, she doesn't hesitate. It's easy. She was already ready to bloom.

Whereas Neptune talks a good fight--her final scene before transformation is a chorus of hail Satans and all, but let's be real. She's not saying that out of love for the devil/herself. She's just being spiteful to the camp and to God. It's what she's always done, claw and scratch and bite. She doesn't see a way out of hurting. Hurting and being hurt is her life, and she has no reason to believe she's not going to suffer. It's only when Venus Becomes the Devil that Neptune can even conceive of another way out: apotheosis. But once she realizes this, she jumps at the chance.

And of course, Jupiter resists until the end. I'm pretty sure everyone saw that coming. Poor Jupiter, who wants so bad to be good. Who so deeply believes that goodness can only come from punishment and penitence and martyrdom. She's not even resisting the Devil because the Devil is bad. She says it herself: She wants to be the Devil. But what has her life even been besides denying herself the things she so desperately wants?

• Locked thread