Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gunfighter
Sep 25, 2003
Ni!
What is Hero's Song?
Hero's Song is an open-world fantasy OARPG produced by Pixelmage Games. The game was announced on Jan 19th along with a Kickstarter campaign launch which has since been canceled. The best source of information about the game thus far is the Pixelmage Games page; however, the Pixelmage team is answering a lot of questions and interacting with the community on Reddit. The CEO, John Smedley of SOE / Daybreak fame, is also answering questions in an AMAA thread.

The Hero's Song Community

When will it be released?
The official game launch is expected to be in October of 2016. A timeline of the expected release cycle is included in the Kickstarter project.

Gameplay
  • Hero's Song will be a "click to move" game with real-time combat
  • Player Death can be permanent
  • Players will level 1 to 50
  • Deep AI and NPC interaction
  • At level 50, players can complete trials to ascend and become a god
  • Crafting will be an important part of the game with thousands of recipes obtainable through a discovery process

Classes
Additional classes are planned for future releases, but the current list for launch is:
  • Bard
  • Beast Master
  • Berserker
  • Dreadlord
  • Druid
  • Elementalist
  • Monk
  • Necromancer
  • Priest
  • Paladin
  • Rogue
  • Shaman
  • Warrior
  • Witch
  • Wizard

Gods
The choice of Gods when creating the world will determine the attributes of the world.
  • The Prime Gods
    • Silea
    • Nae
    • Cor
    • Rek
  • The Fallen Gods
    • Idrin
    • Dreth
  • The Gods of Madness
    • Nyargoth
    • Yogg
Races
  • Avar – Noble men united by respect for the rule of law and fealty to their Gods.
  • Maren – Ocean faring free sprits – their floating cities ebb and flow with the tides and are never in the same place twice.
  • Varloosh – Fierce wildfolk at one with nature and their sprits of their ancestors
  • Tenab – A reclusive desert dwelling race with a talent for the arcane and obscure ancient mysteries. Ashen Elf – Survivors of their homeland’s destruction at the hands of the Ithgaldi who destroyed their lands with their Great Forges and utter devastation of their forest homes.
  • Deep Dwarves – A timeless race that chose to live deep in the heart of the world. The great Dwarven War split the Kingdom Beneath into three lines, the Deep Dwarves who chose to stay in the darkness and build beauty hidden from the world, the Ithgald who chose to dwell under the light of Nir grew insane from the sun, and the Uthar, or the “Cold Ones’ – Dwarves that chose to dwell in the lands where the sun always shines in the cold of the far Nor and to be apart from the entire world.
  • Ithgaldi – Dwarves that chose to come into the light of Nir and not dwell in the earth after the great Dwarven War. Over the years the light twisted them and turned them into a dangerous and feared race with many enemies. Few trust them
  • Uthar – The Dwarves who fled to the cold of the North during the war. They prepare for the great battle with their brethren to come.
  • Aanrare (High Elves) – These ancient ones were the first brought into being by Silea when her day to create was granted. Since she did not yet know of time, her first people were granted immortality by her. She made them before all else and so they witnessed the power of creation and the birth of all things.
  • Elathi (Wild Elves) – These are the children of the Aanrare. Their lives are not eternal, but they live 300 years. They were created by Silea so that the Aanrare might have a lineage but not grow in power
  • Ashen Elf (half-Elves) – These were once Elathi but had their home forests ruined by the devestation caused by the building of the Great Forges by the Ithgaldi blacksmiths. Chased from their homes by the warlike Ithgaldi the once proud race began to disperse and over the years
  • Golem - Created by the Ithgaldi in the Great Forges, only 200 were ever made before the great Dwarven War raged and the destruction of the Forges, but because of the utter devastation caused by these foul forges the homelands of the many of the Elathi were destroyed. Originally the Golem were destined for lives of servitude in the houses of the greatest of the Ithgaldi but were declared as a free people by the Council of Nul shortly after the end of the Dwarven War.

Magic
The magic in Hero's Song is divided into the following systems:
  • Wizardry
  • Illusion
  • Faith
  • Alchemy
  • Beast Mastery
  • Summoning
  • Song
  • Enchanting
  • Necromancy
  • Witchcraft

gunfighter fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i actually pledged $25 to this, you may mock me

gunfighter
Sep 25, 2003
Ni!
Let the mocking commence. I also pledged $25, but I will probably up it to $100 or $150 by the time the Kickstarter project finishes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
by the way, the person heading this game up is Smedley formerly over SOE

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Yes, this seems like a very realistic and thought out schedule from CEO John Smedley

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Oh man an everything I ever wanted game. Glad they are doing it in pixel graphics so it might actually be feasible :pray:

gunfighter
Sep 25, 2003
Ni!

Berious posted:

Oh man an everything I ever wanted game. Glad they are doing it in pixel graphics so it might actually be feasible :pray:

It's built on the Unity engine. They went pixel graphics so they could focus more on the game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

My heart has been broken too many times by in-progress games not named Darkest Dungeon or Kerbal Space Program. :colbert:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mostly gave my $25 because Smedley was involved in PS1 & PS2, which own

gunfighter
Sep 25, 2003
Ni!

Eonwe posted:

I mostly gave my $25 because Smedley was involved in PS1 & PS2, which own

Isn't PS2 F2P?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Smedley i know you post on SA you lurker you, you said in the AMA you'd post more

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

Smedley i know you post on SA you lurker you, you said in the AMA you'd post more

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eonwe posted:

by the way, the person heading this game up is Smedley formerly over SOE

hahaha

game sounds neat but I'll take a wait and see approach

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

hahaha

this sounds incredibly sane and fair

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

nobody touch my spear

hands off

it's my spear

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how can a game have 3 parents tho

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Eonwe posted:

i actually pledged $25 to this, you may mock me

You'd have to pay at least $50 for me to effort a proper mocking. 25 only gets you silent pity.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pavlov posted:

You'd have to pay at least $50 for me to effort a proper mocking. 25 only gets you silent pity.

thank you.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The thing that confuses me the most about this is why they have like 4 of the same pledge goal, at the same price, with the same rewards.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

hahaha

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anatharon posted:

The thing that confuses me the most about this is why they have like 4 of the same pledge goal, at the same price, with the same rewards.

they keep adding stuff to the pledge goals, but if someone has pledged on it, the pledge cannot be edited, so to add to it they have to make a new goal

gunfighter
Sep 25, 2003
Ni!
Pixelmage pulled the plug on the Kickstarter campaign and is moving forward with game development using investors instead:

Announcement here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herossong/heros-song/posts/1474916

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If they have enough money without the kickstarter than why have the kickstarter?

I wouldn't be surprised if a kickstarter has just become a thinly veiled pre-order system that lets you sell stupid things like lunch with the developers for $2,000. Does a project have to prove need of kickstarter funding in order to qualify, or can you take any already-funded project and slap a kickstarter on it?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Reik posted:

If they have enough money without the kickstarter than why have the kickstarter?

I wouldn't be surprised if a kickstarter has just become a thinly veiled pre-order system that lets you sell stupid things like lunch with the developers for $2,000. Does a project have to prove need of kickstarter funding in order to qualify, or can you take any already-funded project and slap a kickstarter on it?
I get the impression from some cancelled Kickstarters that the developers are trying to limit how much they need to rely on external financers and in extension, lose out on the rights to their IP.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 26, 2016

gunfighter
Sep 25, 2003
Ni!

Reik posted:

I think they saw it as a way to engage the community.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
didn't smedly also do h1z1 which is a terrible mess?

gunfighter
Sep 25, 2003
Ni!

Sylphosaurus posted:

I get the impression from some cancelled Kickstarters that the developers are trying to limit how much they need to rely on external financers and in extension, lose out on the rights to their IP.

Based on the way Smed worded it, they had two financing options outside of the Kickstarter: publishers and investors. Best I can tell, investors are good but having to go through a publisher is akin to selling one's soul.

gunfighter fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 26, 2016

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Brad McQuaid, Richard Garriott and Smeds all playing with my emotions in the MMO world. Who do I side with? I can't deal with this kind of pressure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiR71VvCYks

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Seems very ambitious. Colour me interested especially if with the rogue you can steal from other players.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/11/interview-john-smedley-on-heros-song-crowdfunding-and-the-future/

Sounds promising still.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/765921001238507520 lookin good

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm the professional game developer that gif'd a game play video from the game I made using the free trial of Fraps that leaves the watermark on the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:rip:

http://www.pixelmagegames.com/

I blame scam citizen for people not wanting to pay to develop games anymore

• Locked thread