Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dear TFF Goons,

I have been voluntold to coach my kid's flag football team. I have no idea what I'm doing. The league is an NFL flag league. You can find the rulebook here:

https://www.nflflag.com/pdf/NFL_FLAG_Regular_Season_Rule_Book_2012.pdf

Significant rules

5 on 5.
NO CONTACT aside from flag pulling
Pass rushers can run unabated to the quarterback, but must start from 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
Field is 50 yards long.
One first down line at mid-field
All drives start at your own team's 5 yard line.
3 downs to get a TD or a first down
No QB rushes
QB has a 7 second clock to pass or the play is whistled dead.

So goons, help me build a playbook. These kids are 10-12. Some of them can throw decently, some of them have decent spin moves. I have to rotate to keep playing time equal for the whole roster.

Here's an empty playsheet to sketch on.

My questions are:

How do you run the ball without blocking? No contact is allowed, even picks are a penalty.
What does the rest of the offense do once the ball is handed off or a pass in completed?

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
just call Da Bomb every down

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Typically you don't see people running the ball in flag football. You will never see somebody run like up the gut or whatever poo poo. At most you might see like a jet sweep, but even that is hard to do unless you have half the field clear and your guy is the fastest player on the field.

I can't do anything right now but really you can do well calling a flag football offense by mixing in a combination of curls and crossing routes over the middle, with the occasional deep route. That poo poo is basically impossible to cover because the linebacker can't murder you crossing over the middle.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Put them in pads and have them run the tight t, God bless

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't really have any suggestions about what specific plays are going to work with kids in that rule framework. Practice pulling flags and do a zone defense would be my only concrete suggestions. I have a logistics suggestions based on what I used to do with my adult flag football team which you can take or leave as appropriate:

-used the Flag Football Playmaker app to make/organize plays, which was easier than just using MSPAINT or google draw or something similar when you wanted to tweak something (though those are fine, the app will make a wristband version of your playbook which is a pain to do manually)
-printed wristband playsheets on Avery Inkjet Printable Fabric, cut them out, and ironed those onto small-ish tube socks (with the toe cut off)
-just gave one to everyone, so everyone had a little playbook picture on their forearm

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Here is one I drew up for you

You want to have the quarterback and half back in the pistol formation with two receivers flanking the center. At the snap, have the quarterback fake a handoff to the running back and then loop away from the play with his back to the defense to keep the ball hidden. The halfback will cross outside in the opposite before looping back around at the line of scrimmage. While defenders take the bait, send your two receivers in vertical routes that cross ten yards down the field. Have one receiver make a break to the right of the field while the other one moves forward a yard or two back to the play. At this point the QB should loop back around with the ball still in his possession and make a bullet pass to the stationary receiver.

Here is a quick diagram

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

then loop away from the play with his back to the defense to keep the ball hidden.

Pretty obvious from the sketch that the ball is in plain sight.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Here, this will give you a decided schematic advantage over your opponents

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Legitimately though if its a zero blocking flag game you want to run plays that will spread out the defense and make the best of big pockets. Use the corners as much as possible and try to get the free defender to bite on doubling on one of your receivers rather than going for the sack. If you can make him pay on enough pass rushes with completions to 1-1 coverage you also open up the possibility of using your Qb as a rushing option

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

you could always do the old "hey coach wrong ball" play too

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The correct option, as always, is Triple Option Out of the Wishbone.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Legitimately though if its a zero blocking flag game you want to run plays that will spread out the defense and make the best of big pockets. Use the corners as much as possible and try to get the free defender to bite on doubling on one of your receivers rather than going for the sack. If you can make him pay on enough pass rushes with completions to 1-1 coverage you also open up the possibility of using your Qb as a rushing option

I should have noted that there is a rule against QB rushes. There is no rule against running back passes though, you just need to make a clean handoff and pass before a kid comes in from 7 yards unabated. A handoff then a pass to the QB might work with a single rusher.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Annexation of Puerto Rico

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

I should have noted that there is a rule against QB rushes. There is no rule against running back passes though, you just need to make a clean handoff and pass before a kid comes in from 7 yards unabated. A handoff then a pass to the QB might work with a single rusher.

Keep in mind its kids though. You will honestly have more success exploiting physical matchups and athletic ability than trying to be tricky. If you have a fast guy, try to make sure his defender is not as fast, etc. Removing blocking basically means the game is going be more or less dependent on the athleticism of your receivers against the other team.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I played 7 on 7 in the summers to keep fresh and there are a couple sure fire plays. (Depending on arm strength of course).

Easy money is all 5 yard hitches to dink and dunk down the field.

Hitches on the outside and have someone run down the seam for a lob.

Hitch and go for the outside receivers with a pump fake.

All go's.

Inside receivers both run flags and outside give you a 3 step slant and then sit in between the coverage.

All of this will probably be too much for them though, so just run swing passes left and right to a guy in the backfield. Once they hug the LOS, have your QB throw it as far as he can down the sideline on a go and hope for the best.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

buddhanc posted:

I played 7 on 7 in the summers to keep fresh and there are a couple sure fire plays. (Depending on arm strength of course).

hahaha I forgot about the time I made that avatar

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-zNnv66g0I&t=9272s

Is Mesh too much for kids? :ohdear:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If I'm reading your field description right, you have three downs to get 20 yards?

That pretty much eliminates the running game, really.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Meet my good friend, the Smash Route.

High/low divides out the rear end.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Just remember that by instinct or inclination, they will all run to the same part of the field and stand there waving their arms. Make sure they understand short, medium and long, left, right and middle and design plays to separate everyone. If they get that they should be OK.

Do silly stuff to keep their interest. Have one play where someone sits down or something attention getting. Keep the number of plays to a minimum. And by all means MAKE SURE THEY HAVE FUN.

One of my co-workers is the worst football dad. He argues with the coaches, he berates his son. He gets violently upset if the team loses. His son is twelve.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

MAKE SURE THEY HAVE FUN.

Look at this pathetic non-Kia driving bullshit

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
No contact at all? I tried.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hahaha I forgot about the time I made that avatar

And it's amazing. You're the best

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju-KewBfyX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6u8IPUhYCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgNFRx8GrKM

http://www.5on5flagfootballplays.net/

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Once they are solid on some basic plays, be sure to work in some misdirection. Here's a good trick play to work on:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

QB in shotgun
C snaps and runs full tilt straight up field. Once he gets to about how far your QB can throw, he button hooks for a ready for a long pass.
WRs are doing quick outs. Throw to the most open guy for an easy ~4-5 yards. Rinse + repeat.
RB is there for a screen pass and run for a few if the defence comes with a heavy pass rush. Put your quick agile guy in this position.

I know nothing and haven't designed plays since ancient video games I don't even remember the names of.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Darth Brooks posted:

Just remember that by instinct or inclination, they will all run to the same part of the field and stand there waving their arms. Make sure they understand short, medium and long, left, right and middle and design plays to separate everyone. If they get that they should be OK.

Do silly stuff to keep their interest. Have one play where someone sits down or something attention getting. Keep the number of plays to a minimum. And by all means MAKE SURE THEY HAVE FUN.

One of my co-workers is the worst football dad. He argues with the coaches, he berates his son. He gets violently upset if the team loses. His son is twelve.

This is my thing too. I've coached baseball for a while and my focus has always been keeping the kids having fun and interested. If they say they want to play again next year then I've done my job.

As far as parents go, I've had mostly good experiences. There's always that one dude though every season. One year the "that guy" happened to be on the board. He was supposed to go to all the games to make sure they were running smoothly. He ended up only going to his kid's games and only intervening to overrule a call that didn't go his kid's way.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dubious posted:

this is the answer.

source: it was my playbook when i won my dorm blitz tourney in college

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Punt every posession until your kids can block and or tackle.

Send the league a message imo.

Also if there's no blocking then have one kid take the ball and have the rest of the team form a circle aound him so he is untouchable by the other team.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Dubious posted:

For reference:

This is a sound strategy.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Once they are solid on some basic plays, be sure to work in some misdirection. Here's a good trick play to work on:

:golfclap:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Run trips and a lot of mesh plays. That's easily your best bet. And teach your quarterback how to pump fake.

Mel I laughed my rear end off

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Running the ball is basically all gonna be misdirection/option stuff if your league doesn't allow blockers. What your offensive players can do after a completion or on a run play depends on the league.

You should have a double pass play. They work really well.

If you can find someone who can basically long-snap the ball it's a big deal. Putting your QB back as far as you reasonably can is a big deal.

Don't go crazy with the routes, make sure people know how to run them.

You should also be paying attention to defense if you're going to be coaching both sides of the ball, it's a big deal.

Practice the living poo poo out of flag-pulling- have them rake their hands down towards the belt. I'm a big fan of teaching kids to keep their eyes on the waist, use the sideline to their advantage, etc.

Put one of your best athletes at rusher, really work on them so they know how to do it. Getting to the QB fast as possible is good, but missing him is really bad. Be ready to spell your rusher. I also like off-setting rushers on the QBs throwing side, try to flush them to the left side if they are right handed, etc. That's especially nice if the QB can't rush.

If a QB can't rush you can consider man coverage, usually you don't in flag football.

Most teams are running cover-1 or cover-2, safety is also a pretty big deal especially if it's cover-1.

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Here is one I drew up for you

You want to have the quarterback and half back in the pistol formation with two receivers flanking the center. At the snap, have the quarterback fake a handoff to the running back and then loop away from the play with his back to the defense to keep the ball hidden. The halfback will cross outside in the opposite before looping back around at the line of scrimmage. While defenders take the bait, send your two receivers in vertical routes that cross ten yards down the field. Have one receiver make a break to the right of the field while the other one moves forward a yard or two back to the play. At this point the QB should loop back around with the ball still in his possession and make a bullet pass to the stationary receiver.

Here is a quick diagram

I think this is my favorite post ever on this forum.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

be sure to scout your opponents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbosQc0smg8

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Darth Brooks posted:

Holy poo poo this. I enjoyed sports as a kid, but stopped playing at the high-school level because people started getting way too intense. Even in like, PE.

Great on you for coaching, though. I like Flag Football. I really think kids shouldn't be allowed to play tackle until they're 16. A friend of the family has a kid that did youth tackle football, he ruined his knees by the time he was 15 and couldn't play any sports afterwards.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If you are running more than 3 routes you're doing it wrong

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

If you are running more than 3 routes you're doing it wrong

So my play with one route(only if there's a heavyset kid covering) and 3 defenders falling down to buy space for the runner is the best? Got it. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Honestly the sit down or do something strange is a genius. I'm giving you 14-15 year old kid stuff not like 12. And the difference is huge

• Locked thread