Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, so it was the Ranger that got destroyed I guess?

Yup. It wasn't really given any attention, but during the fight, there was a big explosion aboard the Ranger in the background, and in one of the following shots she seemed to be sinking already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I was hoping that season 3 was the season that Jack would finally do something about that facial hair, but nah.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mouse Dresser posted:

I was hoping that season 3 was the season that Jack would finally do something about that facial hair, but nah.

There's a pretty substantial comical element to Jack and I've found that his rat-faced appearance, coupled with his expressions, contributes a great deal to it. I like him the way he is, personally.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Unless I'm being swerved down the road, I'm surprised how much John Silver seems to care about the crew now. I got the impression at the season 2 finale he loving hated them and what he sacrificed for them in a moment of morality (or weakness, depending on how you look at it),

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Silver is very interesting, because the argument FOR him doing what he does now, because of a love for the crew, actually was planted there as a seed by Flint in mid-Season 2 when he pulls off the Urca gold deception: "Those men out there give a poo poo about what you think. Where else in the world would you wake up and matter? You walk out on all this...and where the gently caress are you going?" It deffo had a subtle effect, and led to what he did at the end of the season...it cost him heavily...but the crew also proved Flint's words to him, by taking care of him and electing him Quartermaster. And he legit does this job better now than Gates, because he actually stands the gently caress up to Flint, whenever he veers into the insane irrational waters that jeopardize the work of the entire crew.

So it would make sense that he is attached to the crew now...on the other hand, that spoilered area I mentioned? It might very well come to bite him in the rear end yet, because Max remains the only person who knows, that he was the one who had lied to all of them. And if he ever crosses her too much...her leaking and confirming that bit of info to Flint or the crew would utterly ruin Silver. So who knows...perhaps even he knows this, and is looking for opportunities to not be utterly reliant on the crew the way he is right now. Therein lies the argument, that he's not *that* attached to the crew as he appears at the moment.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 25, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Falukorv posted:

What happened to Flint's Spanish galleon?

It's protecting the harbor of Nassau while the fort is being rebuilt I'd think. The galleon isn't as useful in pirating as it's larger, requires a bigger crew, isn't as maneuverable, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also you pirate by sailing close before popping your black flag, a Man o War isn't hiding as a merchant ship.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
that was a drat good premiere

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Every character in this show is gold holy poo poo.

I miss Randall

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Also you pirate by sailing close before popping your black flag, a Man o War isn't hiding as a merchant ship.

But they were raiding a town, not a ship. :raise:

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

Ross Angeles posted:

I miss Randall

I undervalued Randall until it was too late.
Maybe I need to start looking for the characters that I undervalue to find who dies next.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Yeah but now he's back to regular pirating.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xoidanor posted:

Henry Morgan murked a few thousand Spanish without his ships.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

I was REALLY hoping they had gotten rid of Eleanor as she just fits poorly in the world of black sails, but like a bad penny...

Yeah, same here, she's just way too pretty n clean for the Black Sails world, and also just far less colorful and charismatic when compared to most of the other characters. I really don't feel like seeing Eleanor vs Vane and Eleanor vs Max again, she already got completely owned by them at last season's end and I was hoping it would stay that way.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I swear to god if that samurai pirate doesn't chop somebody in half this season.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

savinhill posted:

Yeah, same here, she's just way too pretty n clean for the Black Sails world, and also just far less colorful and charismatic when compared to most of the other characters. I really don't feel like seeing Eleanor vs Vane and Eleanor vs Max again, she already got completely owned by them at last season's end and I was hoping it would stay that way.

For my its the terrible accent, I just can't buy it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I kinda like her character. I can't pin her down and she just absolutely does random things. She's like the bellwether of chaos around any character she interacts with and the entire town of Nassau.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

savinhill posted:

Welcome to the entire point of her character. She's absolutely right in everything she says, but it doesn't matter because semi-retarded sea thugs aren't the best people to grasp the tenets of basic nation building. And people like her are going to brutally murder every single one of the charismatic figures you love. Most of those middle class killers are boring men of no real note. Woodes Rogers kind of interesting, but most of the rest are just.....guys doing their job. Max knows the score, as she says it's why she stays in the whorehouse. When civilization comes back, she will lose everything and they will just call her a whore. None of these men win their fight against civilization, and most of them even know it. Now this being a historically flavored drama that's also kind of a prequel to Treasure Island, and not a biography of the great pirates of Nassau, they aren't tied to strict timelines and facts. They've been mixing things up a bit....but not that much really. Benjamin Hornigold really did turn pirate hunter and end up in a storm around the time of this episode, so it's not even like they invented that for dramatic purposes. Real life was dramatic enough that they aren't going to need to spice it up too much. No matter how close or how far they get from how things really went though, the outcome is going to be the same. People like Eleanor will find a way to adapt, and people like Max and Vane....will not.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

kri kri posted:

For my its the terrible accent, I just can't buy it.

I'm pretty sure that's her natural speaking voice.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She sounds like every other North American/Canadian.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of historical stuff, I'm kind of surprised they still haven't introduced Mary Read yet considering how important she was to Anne and Jack. IRL she didn't start hanging out with them for another couple of years but she was active as a pirate at this time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You can't really knock or critique her accent since that's literally how she talks.
She's English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FGdflv0Tk

I don't mind her, her role on the show is fascinating.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought he was talking about Max

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Max isn't going anywhere and I suspect she is going to wind up being Silver's "wife" that he leaves his fortune with at the end of the series. Plus, Jessica Parker Kennedy is the most attractive actor on TV right now and I will be distraught if they somehow write her off the show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

I thought he was talking about Max

Max is doing a super bad fake French accent.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Aphrodite posted:

We call them "Canadians".

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Fortunately for us her titties enunciate perfectly.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of historical stuff, I'm kind of surprised they still haven't introduced Mary Read yet considering how important she was to Anne and Jack. IRL she didn't start hanging out with them for another couple of years but she was active as a pirate at this time.

I was wonderimg about that too. Is Mary going to show up later or have the writers already sort of amalgamated the two in the current Anne?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Fortunately for us her titties enunciate perfectly.

I just turn off the sound when she is talking

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Telamon posted:

I was wonderimg about that too. Is Mary going to show up later or have the writers already sort of amalgamated the two in the current Anne?

I thought back in season 1 that they were going to turn Max into Mary and have her join a crew after it looked like she was getting kicked out of the brothel, but they basically just gave all the non-piratey Mary stuff to Max while keeping her character as is. So I doubt a full-blown Mary will turn up at this point, it'd be kind of weird if another woman joined the show and was also in a weird non-love triangle with Jack and Anne.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I could see Max becoming John Silvers wife as she was said to have handled all the financials

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd also like to point out that The Coat has been in 100% of the episodes so far this season. I wonder if Toby Stephens was thinking of a different coat and the one true coat will be in the season as planned. I can only hope.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The Coat better get its own IMDB entry :colbert:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd also like to point out that The Coat has been in 100% of the episodes so far this season. I wonder if Toby Stephens was thinking of a different coat and the one true coat will be in the season as planned. I can only hope.

what did he say about the coat?!!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

Guys... i have some bad news

Flint is trolling me, surely...

https://twitter.com/TobyStephensInV/status/687469713807511556

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Props to him, that was a proper troll. There was a bit of a fuss over it and it got retweeted back at him, so I'm sure he was cackling at that.

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4
Zach McGowan (Charles Vane), Clara Paget (Anne Bonny), and Ray Stevenson (Blackbeard) were featured on last week's episode of the RottenTomatoes podcast promoting the premiere of season 3. They discussed what it's like filming the series in Cape Town in South Africa. Episode 160 - Black Sails Folks Are a Scurvy Bunch can be found on Wolfpop and on iTunes. It offers a nice behind the scenes chat about production of the series. The interview begins at 2:50.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On a somewhat random note Zach McGowan is also in the newest season of The 100.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

etalian posted:

On a somewhat random note Zach McGowan is also in the newest season of The 100.

That show got a second season? I quit it after the first episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

That show got a second season? I quit it after the first episode

Give it another shot, the first two season are up on the Netflix.

It seems like the standard YA plot setup in the pilot episode but the show goes in some good directions at a breakneck plot pace.

• Locked thread