Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

PlushCow posted:

The credits has someone listed as "Death" so I'd go with that. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4471404/?ref_=ttep_ep2

Well...that doesn't abode well for Flint at all then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Roman Reigns posted:

Well...that doesn't abode well for Flint at all then.

It could mean anything, really. Death, who took Barlow away. Death, who is the monster he created in Flint. Or yeah, the death that awaits him down the brutal path he's chosen, spurred on by him seeing "We die alone" in the first episode.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
doublepost

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

PlushCow posted:

The credits has someone listed as "Death" so I'd go with that. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4471404/?ref_=ttep_ep2

Also looked like the personification of Death from the Eleanor coutroom play.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Was it a goon that worked on sound for the show? Mad props because those storm scenes were absolutely wicked. The growl of the sea was awesome

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SaltLick posted:

Was it a goon that worked on sound for the show? Mad props because those storm scenes were absolutely wicked. The growl of the sea was awesome

Check the video near the bottom of the review:
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/black-sails/252443/black-sails-xx-review

It's a great making of video for how they did the practical effects behind the storm episode.

They ended up building two new practical sets just for the storm episode.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 3, 2016

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

etalian posted:

Check the video near the bottom of the review:
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/black-sails/252443/black-sails-xx-review

It's a great making of video for how they did the practical effects behind the storm episode.

They ended up building two new practical sets just for the storm episode.

Now that I think about it I can't think of too many other things I've seen that come close to that sequence. It's really loving bonkers what they did.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's more important for the flag to either be black or red than the actual design. Black meaning you were a pirate and willing to give quarter, red meaning you were going to slaughter the whole ship.

Why would you ever raise a red flag then? :confused:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Xoidanor posted:

Why would you ever raise a red flag then? :confused:

You were chasing somebody you knew and weren't interested at all in giving quarter :unsmigghh:

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
You'd raise the black flag when closing on your intended victim to let them know you were a pirate and they should really, really surrender now. If they decided to fight anyway, you might raise the red flag instead, and no quarter would be given even to crew who tried to surrender after that point. Obviously, many ships would rather surrender while the black was flying than risk a fight to the death with hardened criminals.

Wikipedia posted:

In June 1720 when Bartholomew Roberts sailed into the harbour at Trepassey, Newfoundland with black flags flying, the crews of all 22 vessels in the harbour abandoned them in panic.

Of course, if you slaughtered crews under the black flag, your victims couldn't know what to expect of you and would therefore be smarter to resist you after all.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

On Terra Firma posted:

Now that I think about it I can't think of too many other things I've seen that come close to that sequence. It's really loving bonkers what they did.

They really nailed the wild crazy ride of terror such a storm creates. I've been on a tall ship in a force 10 storm and Billy's 'get below deck and ride it out' is really the only thing you can do. One crew member was on the bowsprit and got dunked into the water like in this episode, he was attached in a safety harness but still broke his leg from the force.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rad Gravity posted:

You'd raise the black flag when closing on your intended victim to let them know you were a pirate and they should really, really surrender now. If they decided to fight anyway, you might raise the red flag instead, and no quarter would be given even to crew who tried to surrender after that point. Obviously, many ships would rather surrender while the black was flying than risk a fight to the death with hardened criminals.

Still not really seeing the point of telling your prospective opponent in battle that you will unconditionally murder the poo poo out of them instead of just doing it.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
You only raise the red flag after battle is already joined. This way, the victims know that they'll live if they surrender while the black is flying. Raising the red flag and killing all crew is just setting an example for other ships of what will happen if they fight. By contrast, legitimate privateers were required by law to give quarter to a surrendering enemy, which means fighting them was not such a life-or-death proposition. Pirates want to scare you into surrender so they won't have that fight.

It's basically the same sort of psychological warfare the Mongols used: send a message to a city you want to conquer that you'll murder the gently caress out of them if they resist, and then actually follow through on that threat if they do. Doesn't matter that that particular city was warned of your intentions, the next one is likely to throw their gates wide open for you to avoid that fate.

E: VVV Much more succinct and eloquent version below. VVV

Rad Gravity fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 3, 2016

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Still not really seeing the point of telling your prospective opponent in battle that you will unconditionally murder the poo poo out of them instead of just doing it.

"Oh great, we'll all be killed now because of our stubborn captain. gently caress it, I'm jumping over the side and taking my chances with the sea" -Unknown sailor man

"Ohshitohshitohshit they'll kill us all, time to curl up into a ball and poo poo my pants" -Another unknown sailor man

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 3, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

etalian posted:

A fun fact is the show creators let the actors devise workout for their characters based on their back stories.

For Tom Hopper he saw his character as a guy who spent the whole day climbing up and down the rigging, hence having the whole massive guns.

jesus gently caress you could strangle an elephant with those things

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rad Gravity posted:

Of course, if you slaughtered crews under the black flag, your victims couldn't know what to expect of you and would therefore be smarter to resist you after all.

Pirates alway preferred getting people to surrender since it was their main way to get replacement crew and also badly needed supplies.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

Pirates alway preferred getting people to surrender since it was their main way to get replacement crew and also badly needed supplies.

The reason why Charles Vane was hated and feared more than any other captain was because he kept slaughtering captains and crews after they had peacefully surrendered.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was known for torturing crews before killing them too. And he cheated his crew out of their shares.

It's a really weird choice for him to be one of the heroes of this show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As opposed to all the other murderous pirates?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes. Vane is considered that bad.

Flint is regularly portrayed as an unhinged monster. Vane was that way early on but they mostly tossed it and he's all noble and conflicted now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What people actually know of the pirates is miniscule.

It's the beauty of it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Aphrodite posted:

He was known for torturing crews before killing them too. And he cheated his crew out of their shares.

You've seen him without a shirt, right?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

This show isn't a Charles Vane biopic, they just picked him because his surname sounds cool.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

punchymcpunch posted:

This show isn't a Charles Vane biopic, they just picked him because his surname sounds cool.

Alas, his addition was in vane.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'm rooting for Flint, who ended the last season murdering an entire city out of pure spite and hatred. It's not THAT weird.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

DarkCrawler posted:

jesus gently caress you could strangle an elephant with those things

Season 4: Billy gets The Coat and he just swims around the ocean punching the gently caress out of ships.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Billy is Aquaman's grandad.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This season is really good, goddamn.

More people should watch this show.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Why didn't they put this one up early :(

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
So I take we've finally gotten to... TREASURE ISLAND?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This season is really good, goddamn.

More people should watch this show.

I'm really digging Flint's crew's journey. Like...every episode is a mini-adventure, that demonstrates the unique extremes of that lifestyle and those times. Heck, it's frequently overshadowing the main plot story everyone else is taking part of (only thing from there, that I legit loved in this episode, was Woodes Rogers revealing how England's approach is actually quite tame, compared to what Spain will do, should it fail).

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 7, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looked a little bit like they landed Africa to me.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They must have upped the budget a lot, we've had boats every episode so far.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Didn't really like this episode. The pseudo bottle episode didn't do anything for me because I just wanna see pirates fighting and ships shooting at each other.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Episode was good, shark hunting scene was awesome.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Didn't really like this episode. The pseudo bottle episode didn't do anything for me because I just wanna see pirates fighting and ships shooting at each other.

You're a bad person.

The Black Flag shark hunt scene was amazing and watching Hornigold not get murdered was amazing and everything with Vane and Edward is amazing and everything is amazing!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Fly would have been better if it was this episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Looked a little bit like they landed Africa to me.

Those guys are probably Maroons, basically escaped slaves who lived out in the middle of nowhere.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Xoidanor posted:

Fly would have been better if it was this episode.

Well yeah this episode was much better than Fly because it didn't make me want to close my web browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I've been waiting for the turn of Silver. In Treasure Island it was mentioned that Silver was one of the only men Flint feared. Now the tables are sort of starting to turn and that is cool and good

• Locked thread