Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fauxshiz posted:

I've never read Treasure Island. Should I? Or should I wait until this series ends? I'm a hole digging uneducated pleb. I just want to be entertained!

Wow, really?

I just feel like it's a book that literally everyone has read atleast once at some point in their lives.

Hell yeah read it, it's a swashbuckling classic.
I wouldn't worry about spoilers for the show, I'm pretty sure that the events in the book won't happen for another 20+ years in-show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

muscles like this? posted:

Charles Vane will escape to the future.

The plot of the failed Gladiator sequel, but Charles Vane instead of Maximus.

Charles Vane in the Pentagon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean at worst Treasure Island told you Billy didn't die back in season 1. Otherwise there's not much it can give away.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I do basically all of the added sounds along with my supervisor. I do most of the design and cut all of the guns and gore and swords and background insect buzzes. Anvil hits. Horses. Wave crashes and all of that. Yes that storm episode took me about 4 weeks. As for the boring spots. I need a break too ;)

But alas this will be my last season. Need to move forward with my career :) it was a hard choice and I will be in here talking about the episodes with all of you for season 4 ;)

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Flint's speech about how Billy lies to himself about being able to escape through strength, and how Silver lies to himself about being able to escape through talking, and how he, Flint, just accepts the truth was SO loving HEART BREAKING.

My God, Toby Stephens is so supremely amazing.

Also the sound kicks rear end. Good work!

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Everybody is getting into their characters now. Toby and Luke are real big stand outs for me. But let's give it up for that side pirate who drowned. He has been around since s1 and man did he bring his acting chops to that death scene. I can't think of his name but that's gonna be one of the best death scenes of the year.

Anyways lots of loving metal poo poo is inbound. Won't spoil it but yes enjoy.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Not really a fan of where the Flint stuff is going, it feels like it's spinning it's wheels a bit too much at the moment. I didn't mind separating him from Nassau while Teach was there so that Teach could step into his role of "senior badass pirate" but it seems like Flint & co being stuck on the island is going to turn into another 2 episodes at least. Granted it might have a payoff of some kind, but with no Jack, Teach, Flint, or Vane in Nassau there's not a lot of reason to care about what's going on there.

Show is still good but I hope we can get the band back together sooner than later.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

Not really a fan of where the Flint stuff is going, it feels like it's spinning it's wheels a bit too much at the moment. I didn't mind separating him from Nassau while Teach was there so that Teach could step into his role of "senior badass pirate" but it seems like Flint & co being stuck on the island is going to turn into another 2 episodes at least. Granted it might have a payoff of some kind, but with no Jack, Teach, Flint, or Vane in Nassau there's not a lot of reason to care about what's going on there.

Show is still good but I hope we can get the band back together sooner than later.

Hopefully it results in them taking an army of slaves to take back Nassau.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Those guys are probably Maroons, basically escaped slaves who lived out in the middle of nowhere.

Nice one.

This place must be totally fictional... because like... geologically it's a million miles away.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Technically they don't start hanging out with her until the 1720 and this season is 1718

Isn't the show already playing fast and loose with the time frame though? Like things taking place and people showing up sooner than they ought to?

Gonz posted:

The plot of the failed Gladiator sequel, but Charles Vane instead of Maximus.

Charles Vane in the Pentagon.

The one Nick Cave wrote? Because that poo poo sounded amazing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Capn Beeb posted:

Isn't the show already playing fast and loose with the time frame though? Like things taking place and people showing up sooner than they ought to?

Yes, we established in the first season... it's not historical by any stretch. It's close enough and there are plenty of pirates who should be in it, that aren't.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Kinda what I thought. Mary when :argh:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sure Max will end up the Mary Read we get... It's not like she was super important, she was just there.

I'm more interested in seeing Jack's flag up on the mast.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jst0rm posted:

Everybody is getting into their characters now. Toby and Luke are real big stand outs for me. But let's give it up for that side pirate who drowned. He has been around since s1 and man did he bring his acting chops to that death scene. I can't think of his name but that's gonna be one of the best death scenes of the year.

Oh no doubt. The minor roles acted out really well always stand out for me on any show. (just reminded me R.I.P. Randall - goddamn, did I love that actor's portrayal of him :( )The talk he had with Silver before the storm hit them is also good stuff. There's lots of these chars from S1, who only have a minor but constantly persistent presence, and they're all dying off one by one. :( Just Joji, DeGroot and the doctor left from them still present and alive as part of the crew, if I'm not mistaken...

Rocksicles posted:

I'm more interested in seeing Jack's flag up on the mast.

He was pretty much the highlight for me in yesterday's ep. I mean, you kinda expect for Vane and Teach to stick together and do their thing, but Jack deffo came into his own. Fully agreed, also, as to the topic of success: "gently caress *those* men!"

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 14, 2016

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So did Blackbeard take the man-o'-war with him? Blackbeard and Vane going around pirating could be pretty awesome and much more fun than the plotting in Nassau.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mrs. Hudson, the woman on the british ship in Toby Stephens wife

She was Osiris in SG1

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Capn Beeb posted:

The one Nick Cave wrote? Because that poo poo sounded amazing.

The exact one! Immortal Maximus forced to fight in every major global conflict for 2,000 years is something I would have watched.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Aphrodite posted:

I mean at worst Treasure Island told you Billy didn't die back in season 1. Otherwise there's not much it can give away.

Well I mean technically you know that Flint, Billy, Silver are somewhat untouchable. The basic foundation of Treasure Island would be "Flint buries treasure, Billy has map, Silver wants to get it", so even if they ignore the fate of Flint in the novel they probably aren't going to go so far as to take him out before he buries the treasure. Really though, what's it matter? Maybe he can't die, but they've certainly put Flint through a lot. They could put him through even more before the end. Just because death might be off the table doesn't take away that much dramatic weight, especially considering it's rare for him to be in a threatening situation where none of the other crew are either. So even if there is someone that thinks they might kill him, I doubt there is anyone that thinks they'll kill off Billy and Silver too.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I just hope they don't kill off the Fruit, Tits guy. Out of all the minor side-characters, he's pretty much the only entertaining one left and it'd be great for him to show up again.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Jst0rm posted:

I do basically all of the added sounds along with my supervisor. I do most of the design and cut all of the guns and gore and swords and background insect buzzes. Anvil hits. Horses. Wave crashes and all of that. Yes that storm episode took me about 4 weeks. As for the boring spots. I need a break too ;)

But alas this will be my last season. Need to move forward with my career :) it was a hard choice and I will be in here talking about the episodes with all of you for season 4 ;)

Dude all the sounds in the show rule. The guns especially always sound loving awesome.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jst0rm posted:

What next... how can anything be better than Pirates?

Also how did you do the Thunder? was it Tom Hopper clapping forearms together?

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 15, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerkface posted:

Dude all the sounds in the show rule. The guns especially always sound loving awesome.

The show makes me sad I don't have a surround sound setup at my place.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Space pirates

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Acceptable.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Xoidanor posted:

Space pirates

Yes, please. And let's see how many variations of 'bacca' can we go through, like they're all wookies in disguise.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Next best thing??

https://twitter.com/stevendeknight/status/688114611258703872

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Meant to be Halo meets Halo Jones. Really excited for it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh... i'm well aware of Incursion, don't you worry.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

Cool. Those are real musket shots but tricked out a bit ;) I love the delayed reaction between the fuse and the shots that happen sometimes with those weapons.

Rocksicles posted:

Also how did you do the Thunder? was it Tom Hopper clapping forearms together?

Whats next? This summer I have 1 film for sure late summer (still in script stage) and a big film in the brew - its about a book that you write peoples names in and they die ;) yes that one.

I also have my own content idea that I am going to be shopping to netflix and amazon in the next month. If that gets picked up I will be producing that.

Oh and I also work on chicago fire and chicago pd. They are simple and dont take up a lot of extra time. A nice paycheck.

The only reason I'm stopping pirates is because of the total time commitment to get it done. I love this show. I won an emmy and have 2 nominations because of the work I did on it. There really is nothing better to cut on tv. Even game of thrones looks a bit stale to me in the action realm.

Thunder is mostly thunder recordings. However sometimes you need to give it a bit of the sauce. Layering of sounds works really well here as you can get a close and far thunder mixed together for some nice rollers with the big impact.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
4 weeks of sound work for a storm episode, that is cool and awesome, the sound for that episode was cool and awesome.

Jst0rm posted:

[...]
Oh and I also work on REDACTED REDACTED. They are simple and dont take up a lot of extra time. A nice paycheck.

The only reason I'm stopping pirates is because of the total time commitment to get it done. I love this show. I won an emmy and have 2 nominations because of the work I did on it. There really is nothing better to cut on tv. Even game of thrones looks a bit stale to me in the action realm.
[...]

This is how you lose your privacy, if you care about that.

JUICY HAMBUGAR fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 15, 2016

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
honestly I think people can find me anyhow. Its kind of the reality of doing this kind of work and talking about it in a public forum. I do need to remember that I am semi-public figure and keep the c-u-c-k (lol this word filter) jokes down to a minimum ;)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jst0rm posted:

A movie you mentioned...

I am excited about this movie, because I really enjoyed the director's last two movies, especially The Guest.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How did y'all get the sound of an angry ocean down so perfectly? What source material do you use? The growl and primal energy of the sea was spot on.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I am excited about this movie, because I really enjoyed the director's last two movies, especially The Guest.

thanks. I enjoyed working on both of those ;) We just finished a project but I'm under NDA.

SaltLick posted:

How did y'all get the sound of an angry ocean down so perfectly? What source material do you use? The growl and primal energy of the sea was spot on.

Layers and layers of sound. This was a team effort with my supervisor as by the time I finished a lot of the vfx wernt in those shots yet. As for source material I dont really want to go into that, not to hide it but I dont want people hearing that instead of a storm thats gonna kill you ;) The re-recording mixers do an excellent job working the material as well. The same team does Game of Thrones as well.

The devil is in the detail. Every water slosh was cut every single water drip was cut. Every sail flap was cut. You build sound on sound layer on layer and in the end you get that thing.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jst0rm posted:

Layers and layers of sound. This was a team effort with my supervisor as by the time I finished a lot of the vfx wernt in those shots yet. As for source material I dont really want to go into that, not to hide it but I dont want people hearing that instead of a storm thats gonna kill you ;) The re-recording mixers do an excellent job working the material as well. The same team does Game of Thrones as well.

The devil is in the detail. Every water slosh was cut every single water drip was cut. Every sail flap was cut. You build sound on sound layer on layer and in the end you get that thing.

Was definitely worth the effort, I'd say. Can't remember a scene that captured that specific kind of mayhem so well in literally any movie/TV show before your work. :)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jst0rm posted:

Cool. Those are real musket shots but tricked out a bit ;) I love the delayed reaction between the fuse and the shots that happen sometimes with those weapons.

Whats next? This summer I have 1 film for sure late summer (still in script stage) and a big film in the brew - its about a book that you write peoples names in and they die ;) yes that one.

I also have my own content idea that I am going to be shopping to netflix and amazon in the next month. If that gets picked up I will be producing that.

Oh and I also work on chicago fire and chicago pd. They are simple and dont take up a lot of extra time. A nice paycheck.

Thunder is mostly thunder recordings. However sometimes you need to give it a bit of the sauce. Layering of sounds works really well here as you can get a close and far thunder mixed together for some nice rollers with the big impact.

I'm friends with a bunch of people on the Chicago shows. If you run into/work with Nick or Mike the sound guys or Danielle Bernstein in PR tell them Sam said hi.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Fauxshiz posted:

I've never read Treasure Island. Should I? Or should I wait until this series ends? I'm a hole digging uneducated pleb. I just want to be entertained!

Do what I did and go watch Muppet Treasure Island. Keeps you from nitpicking character/plot differences.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Cat Hatter posted:

Do what I did and go watch Muppet Treasure Island. Keeps you from nitpicking character/plot differences.

I will vouch for this approach.

E: Assassin's Creed 4 will also improve the overall experience immensely. Much the same way AC2 helped me watch The Borgias without struggling to keep the characters straight in my head.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 17, 2016

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

How many interns did you drown to get the sounds just right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Xoidanor posted:

Space pirates

• Locked thread