Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

When I was young I thought bodhisattva was "booty socker" and thought that song owned. Now I am older I know it's bodhisattva and all their songs own.

I have a well off aunt and uncle that go see them live every year and I hate their guts for never inviting me. I guess I'd be the only one there under 30 but come on aunt Patty think of all the single mom sliz waiting for your favorite nephew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I was around 30 or so when I saw them, and yeah pretty sure most everyone else there was old enough to be my parents.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Ryoshi posted:

I saw them live with Michael McDonald opening and he came back out for Kid Charlemagne, he was singing solo during that verse and hosed up the line to "put some gas in the car." Weak.

They rehearsed it but he kept forgettin'.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Earwicker posted:

I love their compositions, I hate the ultraclean sound of their method of recording them.

What the hell, the mixing of the albums is the best part about them

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

The Time Dissolver posted:

...also all of Aja is boring as gently caress.

I think the word you're looking for is "mellow"... Mellow as gently caress

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

comes along bort posted:

congratulations on turning 40, OP

thanks, but I turned 40 four years ago

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
This is a good thread. I think I like steely dan now. Thanks.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
go do some laps around the block you fat bastard

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
and listen to this while you're doing laps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EZrgdChCqc

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Stryder posted:

poo poo, it looks like they don't have them streaming anymore, but the series is called Classic Albums. I've watched a few and they're actually really cool if you're a music nerd who likes stories about songwriting and recording techniques.

The last time I saw the Dan live was a few years ago and they were awesome despite a janky encore of Reelin' in the Years where Fagen totally biffed singing the rhythm of the first verse. He smiled wryly and shook it off, but after they got through the song, you could see him turn to Becker and mouth, "I'm done, let's blow."

Honestly, when I was a kid my dad was a big Steely Dan fan, and I kinda hated them. I didn't really get it until I was in my 30's. So much of their music is about looking back and thinking, "Holy poo poo. Is this really all I've done with my life?" that I don't think it completely clicks until you reach that point yourself. But when it does, it ALL clicks.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v242044pCWxESzH

The Aja night at the Chicago Theater a few years ago was one of the top five shows I've ever seen. So tight.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Going through all these YouTube clips reminds me that this band has so many great songs. I don't think I could pick a favorite, but Any Major Dude Will Tell You has got to be top 3.

I am going to be listening to Steely Dan at work tomorrow all morning.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
God drat I love a good Steely Dan kick. They"re a band that you could ask a couple people if they like them and they would say 'naw' but if you played some on the nearest music player, everyone would start bobbing their heads and talk about how dad always played them. Feels good man

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Some people appreciate the Dan, but just can't connect with them and that's fine.
Other people just can't follow music that isn't straight major/minor chords and that's fine, too.
Then there are the people who are just aggressively ignorant by saying they're just bad or boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ldtieSEyQM&t=51s

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I appreciate what they do and I love some of their tunes like Charlie Freak and Kings and Sign in Stranger but their sound is just so dry that it kind of puts me off, especially the way they record piano and vocals on Aja

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

I appreciate what they do and I love some of their tunes like Charlie Freak and Kings and Sign in Stranger but their sound is just so dry that it kind of puts me off, especially the way they record piano and vocals on Aja

I can come hiss in your ear next time you're listening. It will add moisture to what you hear.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPJVSd3tq9A

The peppiest, most upbeat song about shooting heroin ever.

e: oh and you can get that classic albums thing on Amazon if you feel like dropping $15 on it. http://smile.amazon.com/Classic-Albums-Steely-Dan-Aja/dp/6305772649

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 25, 2016

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Earwicker posted:

:prepop:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Listening to Countdown to Ecstasy and it's very good. It has a quality of pessimistic humor that is very original and the arrangements and performances are perfect.

fake edit: "Show Biz Kids" sounds exactly like Frank Zappa lol

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

so we all know the current touring band is their best, including the 70s. but there's a special place in my heart for the '96 tour. the best steely dan records are all about the guitar solos, and wayne krantz took them to new heights.

they've been a touring machine for more than 2 decades now and especially since 2006. setlists have become stagnant but the band is better than ever. but in 2011, they did something no one ever thought steely dan would ever do: fanservice. in the form of a "special setlist" show called "rarities night."

you see, during the Gaucho sessions, they recorded a song called "the second arrangement". and the song is superb. they tracked a version of the song, but it was deleted by a junior engineer. they re-recorded it and that is the version available to bootleg collectors. it's very much a quintessential late 70s steely dan tune, and the story surrounding it made it all the more interesting.

so on Rarities Night, they performed it. for the first -- and so far last -- time ever. you have to understand, this is a group that NEVER does anything like this, and this is the holy grail of "deep cuts." it was a drat near religious experience for superfans like me.

they also encored with a song called "this all too mobile home" which was only ever played live by them during their brief 70s touring stint. it was totally unexpected, and something only hardcore fans would enjoy, which is a goddamn rarity for these guys.

other notes:

they played a song called "the bear" from either Gaucho or Aja sessions. it's a really good tune, fully developed, and sounded fantastic live.

they also did an early version of "jack of speed" but the charts were hosed up and I witnessed one of the only SD live train wrecks in history.

Also, they played this tune called "american lovers" which they wrote for another artist and it was weird but super cool to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

here's this all too mobile home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij0Tsqn-Z3E

and the second arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZfi_ErgACc

• Locked thread