Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
digimon tamers (the 3rd season) is a legitimately cool show. it's by the guy who did serial experiments lain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
My 3DS is going in for repairs, and I found out my local used game shop is selling Vitas for like $140. What do I need to know about the system before I jump in? like, are memory cards just SD cards, do I need PSN+, does the screen crack easy, battery life?

Main question though, If I wanted to spend roughly $20 on games, what would be some good choices? I would be fine with anything non-sport/racing, and would prefer stuff with extended single player modes that do not require Wi-fi.

I saw the Sly Cooper collection for $15 at a local Wal-mart, is that a good price or did they gently caress it up?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The memory cards are not SD, they're super-overpriced proprietary bullshit. That is probably the worst thing about the system.

I'm not sure how many good games on the Vita are under $20 right now, but take a look at Bastion or Oddworld: New 'n Tasty if you never had a chance to play them.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Anora posted:

My 3DS is going in for repairs, and I found out my local used game shop is selling Vitas for like $140. What do I need to know about the system before I jump in? like, are memory cards just SD cards, do I need PSN+, does the screen crack easy, battery life?

Main question though, If I wanted to spend roughly $20 on games, what would be some good choices? I would be fine with anything non-sport/racing, and would prefer stuff with extended single player modes that do not require Wi-fi.

I saw the Sly Cooper collection for $15 at a local Wal-mart, is that a good price or did they gently caress it up?

memory cards are specific sony vita ones. as for durability ive beaten the poo poo out of my vita and it is still unscratched and pristine but idk if that is the norm

i dont know about any vita games that are good that dont feature anime or anime babes so i cant help you there

you do have access to PSP games on the PSN which is pretty nice

PSN+ is nice for the free games and sales you can get with it but it isnt required

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

MotU posted:

PSN+ is nice for the free games and sales you can get with it but it isnt required

It's also very useful because of the automatic save game backup you get with it.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Mithaldu posted:

It's also very useful because of the automatic save game backup you get with it.

did not know that was a thing, neat

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

MotU posted:

did not know that was a thing, neat

If you have PS+, make sure you activate it for every game you have on your vita, since it doesn't turn on on its own. It's also useful for hassle-free save-scumming. :v:

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Anora posted:

It's the 2nd or 3rd best platform for pinball arcade, Isaac, spelunky, nuclear throne + probably shovel knight and necrodancer and lots more...and it plays ps1 stuff too, vita ftw. 8 gig cards are enough if you can handle minor inconvenience.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I bought hollow fragment and lost song because they were on sale and I was feeling jrpg ish, is there anything I need to know to not gently caress myself over and end up grinding forever going into hollow fragment?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mithaldu posted:

If you have PS+, make sure you activate it for every game you have on your vita, since it doesn't turn on on its own. It's also useful for hassle-free save-scumming. :v:

How do you activate it?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How do you activate it?

When you have the launch screen for the game there's a + icon as one of the options along the top of the splash image. You press that and you can turn it on and off for that game.

I forget how to do it in bulk but I think that's in settings somewhere too.

I've been stung by the fact it's not on by default before.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

MotU posted:

i dont know about any vita games that are good that dont feature anime or anime babes so i cant help you there

I am not afraid of anime, any type of single player game is fine.

How expensive are the Mem cards?

Is there a place I can look through their eshop while not on a console?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Anora posted:

Memory cards are expensive as gently caress. 16gb is like £35. If you're bargain hunting look for the ones that come bundled with some game downloads, there's usually a couple of decent ones included to soften the blow.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com is the online storefront. Buy games online and you can push them direct to your vita as long as it's connected to wifi at home or wherever.

Also pro tip don't turn on "use wifi in power saving mode" thinking it means it'll stay connected when you put the console into standby because what it actually means is "turn off wifi in standby to save power" which is the opposite of how it loving reads thanks for all the wasted time Sony.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 24, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I bought hollow fragment and lost song because they were on sale and I was feeling jrpg ish, is there anything I need to know to not gently caress myself over and end up grinding forever going into hollow fragment?

Holy poo poo, you've progressed a lot into anime. Good job. As for HF: Grinding is kind of its thing. The one thing you need to be aware of is that it's easy to overlevel yourself in hollow area, making the main quest level stuff amazingly easy. On the other hand, going into the hollow area and doing the implements (basically achievements with rewards) can serve as an extended tutorial to help learn the combat system. Also Lost Song is basically the definition of :mediocre: It's a macross style game that focuses on close combat, has a very simple combat system, huge outdoor levels (with little in them) to get lost in, and dungeons where you're forbidden from flying. Maybe play Lost Song first to get through its story once and to see if you can stomach it, then get into HF.

Edit: And remember that the combat system in HF is meant to be a rhythm game, with different patterns for each weapon.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 24, 2016

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

Holy poo poo, you've progressed a lot into anime. Good job. As for HF: Grinding is kind of its thing. The one thing you need to be aware of is that it's easy to overlevel yourself in hollow area, making the main quest level stuff amazingly easy. On the other hand, going into the hollow area and doing the implements (basically achievements with rewards) can serve as an extended tutorial to help learn the combat system. Also Lost Song is basically the definition of :mediocre: It's a macross style game that focuses on close combat, has a very simple combat system, huge outdoor levels (with little in them) to get lost in, and dungeons where you're forbidden from flying. Maybe play Lost Song first to get through its story once and to see if you can stomach it, then get into HF.

I've never had a problem with anime the old thread just got mega loving creepy.

Hi new vita thread I hope we can have a fresh start and be vita buddies.

I grabbed both because I read hf leads directly into ls so I figured if I have time to burn I may as well play them both + decent sale prices. I have next to no idea what's going on so far although there's been a little intro video that kind of explained what I've missed by not knowing anything about the series going in.

Basically seems to be the anime version of Otherland.

I'll fire up ls in a bit and see how that plays since you suggest hitting it first, thanks.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 24, 2016

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

RE: durability: My launch vita went through a full wash cycle. Left it in the sun for 2 days, charged it up, everything still works, including the 8gb card/persona 4 card I had in there.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Anora posted:

I think I remember hearing the Vita version runs like rear end, so it's probably not worth it unless you have no desire to pick up the PS3 version of the collection.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

OxMan posted:

RE: durability: My launch vita went through a full wash cycle. Left it in the sun for 2 days, charged it up, everything still works, including the 8gb card/persona 4 card I had in there.

Adding to this I don't know about the slim but the battery on the original model vita is loving insane. It'll live in standby until the heat death of the universe which is super cool when coupled with instant suspend/resume and the fact I tend to put it down and forget about it for weeks at a time.

Forest Thief Pud posted:

I think I remember hearing the Vita version runs like rear end, so it's probably not worth it unless you have no desire to pick up the PS3 version of the collection.

It does run like garbage, yes. So does jak and daxter iirc.

Speaking of which what's a good vita platformer that isn't little big planet because the jumping in lbp is dogshit.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 24, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Much like a cockroach, the vita lives on

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Speaking of which what's a good vita platformer that isn't little big planet because the jumping in lbp is dogshit.

Shovel Knight
Guacamelee
Tearaway
Rayman Legends

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 24, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

rayman origins and legends are a couple of the best 2d platformers ever made

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Rogue Legacy
The Rayman games

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Like a third of my vita hours are in Spelunky

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Got shovel knight, guacamelee and spelunky but I completely forgot rayman existed so I guess that's next, awesome.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fair warning, it smells like a metroidvania game, but is super super linear. There's no point in doing anything but the next obvious objective.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Anora posted:

You can just go to http://store.playstation.com/ and browse the PS store that way.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
looking at that shop, how is Disgaea 4? I liked the first one, but I heard they get worse as time goes on.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Memory cards are expensive as gently caress. 16gb is like £35. If you're bargain hunting look for the ones that come bundled with some game downloads, there's usually a couple of decent ones included to soften the blow.

Fair warning, there's basically no point in getting a 32Gb card over importing a 64Gb card from Japan. They're roughly the same price over here in the UK.

As for PS+, the games have been nowhere near as good recently as it used to be, but if you're planning on getting a PS3 or PS4 as well I would recommend getting Plus solely for the cloud save feature. Do note that the PS+ requirement to play online only applies to the PS4, the Vita's online is free.

Anora posted:

looking at that shop, how is Disgaea 4? I liked the first one, but I heard they get worse as time goes on.

A return to form story-wise, plus the Vita version adds a tonne of quality of life improvements from the later games. If you liked the first Disgaea way back when, you'll probably enjoy Disgaea 4.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

It does run like garbage, yes. So does jak and daxter iirc.

Unplayable bad? Cause I was considering picking it up both of those.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sly 4 runs just fine on Vita so I'm kind of confused why the Trilogy is so bad but then I remembered Sony has always treated Sly like a red headed step child.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Anora posted:

3 was the only bad one, they didn't really get worse with time. So 4 is good, yeha

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Cake Attack posted:

3 was the only bad one, they didn't really get worse with time. So 4 is good, yeha

Never played the games beyond 1. What made 3 exceptionally bad?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Slur posted:

Unlike-able characters and generally bad story, basically.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ruggington posted:

rayman origins and legends are a couple of the best 2d platformers ever made

yeah, this

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gotta say Uncharted: GA has some incredible graphics. Are these the best the system offers?

Liking the game, other than the shooting sections and the pointless plot. But the rest is okay.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Anora posted:

The Vita version streamlines a lot of the grindy bullshit and gives you all the DLC from the get-go which makes it the definitive version outside of occasional criplling slowdown, but it's still a franchise built on ideas that are nice in theory but are annoying as poo poo in practice on top of a metric ton of grinding and a post-game that keeps expanding and doesn't know when to end. Doesn't help that there's probably quite a bit of franchise fatigue at this point since Disgaea will always be NIS's top seller, and all their recent attempts to do something more original have flopped commercially and/or has just been outright terrible. Also, I found the cast of 4 to be pretty bad for the most part, but who knows, YMMV.

Slur posted:

Mao being an unlikable poo poo head along with the story and setting being generic and bland with the ultimate driving force behind said plot making Mao even more of an unlikable poo poo head.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Anora posted:

for PSP games if you like strategy RPGs, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is probably my favorite one of all time

persona 4: golden and trails of cold steel are both really good JRPGs

if you like dungeon crawlers, Operation Abyss, Demon Gaze and Dungeon Travelers 2 are all real good though the latter 2 are *really fukken anime* w/ things like gratuitous panty shots and all that jazz. I like Elminage Original as well, though that is a PSP game

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Gotta say Uncharted: GA has some incredible graphics. Are these the best the system offers?

Liking the game, other than the shooting sections and the pointless plot. But the rest is okay.

So you only like the part where you climb up things and look at them

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Adding to this I don't know about the slim but the battery on the original model vita is loving insane. It'll live in standby until the heat death of the universe which is super cool when coupled with instant suspend/resume and the fact I tend to put it down and forget about it for weeks at a time.

mine lasted a full 3 months I think, no fooling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ruggington posted:

So you only like the part where you climb up things and look at them

Uncharted/Tomb Raider without guns would be pretty chill fun games tbh.

Someone needs to make a randomly generated dungeon puzzle explorer type game with no combat and no lovely enemies to run away from.