Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Motto posted:

Man, some of you had mentioned it before, but that framerate is dire.

It's gotten better with the later Vita ports, where the game and system isn't screaming for the sweet release of death like in places with Totori Plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Anora posted:

I saw the Sly Cooper collection for $15 at a local Wal-mart, is that a good price or did they gently caress it up?

I think I remember hearing the Vita version runs like rear end, so it's probably not worth it unless you have no desire to pick up the PS3 version of the collection.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Anora posted:

looking at that shop, how is Disgaea 4? I liked the first one, but I heard they get worse as time goes on.

The Vita version streamlines a lot of the grindy bullshit and gives you all the DLC from the get-go which makes it the definitive version outside of occasional criplling slowdown, but it's still a franchise built on ideas that are nice in theory but are annoying as poo poo in practice on top of a metric ton of grinding and a post-game that keeps expanding and doesn't know when to end. Doesn't help that there's probably quite a bit of franchise fatigue at this point since Disgaea will always be NIS's top seller, and all their recent attempts to do something more original have flopped commercially and/or has just been outright terrible. Also, I found the cast of 4 to be pretty bad for the most part, but who knows, YMMV.

Slur posted:

Never played the games beyond 1. What made 3 exceptionally bad?

Mao being an unlikable poo poo head along with the story and setting being generic and bland with the ultimate driving force behind said plot making Mao even more of an unlikable poo poo head.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
From what I remember, the only thing that changes between the "bad" and the "good" ending is whether or not one of the throwaway characters lives and what they end up revealing post-credits through a "where are they now" text blurb if you did save him. It's so low-effort and effects the plot so little they might as well not have bothered. Also, the fact that said character somehow doesn't even show up and just dies in the middle of nowhere if the dog dies is hilariously stupid.

To add insult to injury, just think, instead of Aya's boring desert adventure, you could be playing RE2, Nemesis, Silent Hill, or Dino Crisis.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

ddogflex posted:

Why do people skip over this when people say it? ToCS is rad. ToCS 2 will be rad 2.

Because it's a super-niche JRPG series especially outside of Japan.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Third Birthday plays so much better than Parasite Eve 2 it isn't even funny. Also, I'll take a hilariously bad plot over the yawn-inducing plot that is Parasite Eve 2.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

SpacePig posted:

opening the game with a "boy and girl fall down, girl lands on boy, girl gets mad at boy forever" bit is incredibly stupid

While that bit is incredibly cliche, Alisa knows she reacted incredibly badly and wants to apologize over overreacting like she did, though she takes forever to do so due to her pride getting in the way. It also helps that they also solve this little kerfuffle pretty quickly anyways, compared to some of the other bits of in-fighting between Class VII.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's kind of a shame that Abyss did Luke so well cause I hated him so much when I first played I stopped playing the game before you get to the mines and he has his epiphany or whatever

I only know it gets better cause of people talking about it all the time, I sold the game a long time ago

Luke gets "better" for all of about 5 hours, before he shifts to whining about things that relate to him being a clone and his/other characters mortality. It also doesn't help that one of the characters he does whine about could be replaced with a vending machine with a catchy jingle and you'd actually gain something from the experience.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
It's Ayesha, so she's definitely not prioritizing bomb-building in the basement. She's probably working on creating super weed, an immortality elixir or something in those styles.

Renoistic posted:

Also Ayesha shows up! I'm still peeved she didn't in the PS3 version. We got Escha and Solle but not Ayesha? It's nuts.

Hey, at least Ayesha doesn't show up as an 8 year old because Keith's got a dumb desire and/or fetish. That has to count for something.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So it isn't a visual novel/puzzle game? Sorry I'd look this up on Wikipedia but I don't want to risk anything spoiled for me as I am watching the show.

It's just a visual novel. The major thing of interaction you get is playing around with your phone at certain points and that's mostly for things like getting some character expansion though e-mail chains or not getting a bad ending and continuing on with the story. Also, there's no real routes, just a really arbitrary split that happens at around chapter 4 that locks you down a certain way the final chapter goes down.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I liked the final boss fight in CS. It reminded me of the duels from Suikoden. I wouldn't be big on it if I had to do a thousand in a row but it's pretty fun as a gimmick boss.

The only part where I found the final boss really annoying is when you're doing it on Nightmare mode, since it feels like you're entirely victim to the RNG, mostly in regards to the boss getting a follow-up and whether or not you get a follow-up in your counter stance. On the upside, it was pretty doable in Normal with out relying on RNG once you figure out all the pieces work.

The section in general feels like it's there just to tease you about gameplay elements that are going to happen in CS2, so it's effectively getting a tutorial that's only relevant to the sequel right before the ending credits roll, which I'm also not too big a fan off.

Forest Thief Pud fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 10, 2016

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Just reached the final chapter of Cold Steel and I'm legit bummed that they apparently Xenogearsed an entire chapter out of the game. I would have really liked to see the trip to the Emperor, everything surrounding Angelica's expulsion, and the trip to Ymir in full. I assume at this point Ymir is gonna be a field study in Cold Steel 2 right? I was really looking forward to going there!

You pretty much saw the stuff that lead up to her getting pulled from Thors, with Gelica willing to take the brunt of the blame for getting the class in the mine and directly opposing the faction her family decided to pony up with by helping out with the hostage situation in the mine. There's also the fact that Gelica's just been something of a problem child to her family in general and her time at Thors didn't seem to really "fix" her in her family's eyes. It would have been nice to see the Ymir bonding trip, but I guess they just ran out of budget/time and the school festival probably felt like a more important capstone to them.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
You can bring over your levels, equipment, master quartz, ect. with NG+ points, and you get a lot of stuff brought over with the 5 points you're given. With all that brought over, the game is pretty much a breeze up until maybe Chapter 6. The only thing that would be really hard is fighting the very last boss and getting extra levels makes it easier to beat apparently. Depending on how many campfire scenes you need, you might just want to do a third playthrough based on the criteria on how you get those scenes.

bloodychill posted:

Ugh I'm afraid to start Cold Steel because I'm afraid it's going to be other TitS1 situation where I want that sequel so hard and it's ages away.

They've said they're on schedule at the moment, with most of the main story translated and they're planning on starting on dub work in like March. I doubt it's going to be as bad as the three year wait between Sky FC and SC. That said, the ending to Cold Steel ends on a much bigger cliffhanger than Sky FC does, at least in my eyes.

Forest Thief Pud fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 13, 2016

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Pretty much make/keep a save right after you do the required student council assignments on the first day of the school festival preparations, and you should be golden. Anyone you do a free time event with chapter 6 is automatically able to do the campfire scene with you so long as you meet their Link requirements (Level 5 for the initial members of Class VII, between level 4 and 5 for Sara, 2000 link EXP for Towa, Level 4 for the others), so take someone different for the evening event, and then take three other different people to two events during the first day of the school festival. So far as I remember, I think the only way to get Towa's scene is by using tickets on her, but I could be wrong.

You can chump the boss before the various campfire events with the phys immunity spell and ruin his main gimmick. It also doubles as a way to be safe for his big dumb super move.

Also, the pace itself is really fast if you did everything else the first time around. I think my third playthrough where I skipped most of everything lasted about 6-7 hours at most, and that's with getting all the chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
How well does the Vita version of Grand Kingdom run, out of curiosity?