Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

:shrug:
well it seems like they have a case, but it's an entire city so thats going to be expensive to compensate everyone, and they are black/poor, so strings might will be pulled in high places to deny them proper justice
They'll pass the cost onto Detroit (because their decision is the reason they lost their previous water supply) and then declare the city bankrupt again so they don't have to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

BigBoss posted:

You'd be wrong. It was the Flint city council who made the decision to switch off of Detroit water. The EFM was in place but did not participate in the decision.

The vote by city council was symbolic and carried no authority in the final decision. The EM made the final decision. That's what the EM does, take control over city operations and finances.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Gravitee posted:

The vote by city council was symbolic and carried no authority in the final decision. The EM made the final decision. That's what the EM does, take control over city operations and finances.

So you're mad the EFM did exactly what the people of Flint wanted and voted to do?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fix it, they'll just gently caress it up again.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

BigBoss posted:

So you're mad the EFM did exactly what the people of Flint wanted and voted to do?

The people of Flint voted to change over to the Karegnondi pipeline when it, and the attendant treatment facilities, were finished. Then Earley decided to take them off Detroit's system 3+ years early, and to use poisonous river water instead, and to not spend a hundred bucks a day to treat it per del Toral's recommendation to prevent it from leaching lead from Flint's ancient-rear end plumbing. Because gently caress you, I guess.

e: oh, and let's not forget Earley swore up and down that Flint's water was safe to drink while hooking up gov't officials and corporate friends with their own, private, sanitized supplies.

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 2, 2016

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
:qq: (pretend the tears occasionaly drip lead lmao)

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Thesaurasaurus posted:

The people of Flint voted to change over to the Karegnondi pipeline when it, and the attendant treatment facilities, were finished. Then Earley decided to take them off Detroit's system 3+ years early, and to use poisonous river water instead, and to not spend a hundred bucks a day to treat it per del Toral's recommendation to prevent it from leaching lead from Flint's ancient-rear end plumbing. Because gently caress you, I guess.

e: oh, and let's not forget Earley swore up and down that Flint's water was safe to drink while hooking up gov't officials and corporate friends with their own, private, sanitized supplies.

I know you're desperate to spin the narrative to fit your "grrr rethuglicans" beliefs but we all know none of this would have even been an issue if Snyder or Engler or even far back as President Reagan had stepped in and installed city managers in Flint and Detroit years ago. This is a homegrown problem due to a solution the people of Flint cooked up in reaction to the criminals that inhabit the city of Detroit. It's in the Bible. So as ye sew, so shall ye reap.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

BigBoss posted:

I know you're desperate to spin the narrative to fit your "grrr rethuglicans" beliefs but we all know none of this would have even been an issue if Snyder or Engler or even far back as President Reagan had stepped in and installed city managers in Flint and Detroit years ago.

Radioactive necropolii tend not to suffer from quality-of-life concerns, true.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BigBoss posted:

I know you're desperate to spin the narrative to fit your "grrr rethuglicans" beliefs but we all know none of this would have even been an issue if Snyder or Engler or even far back as President Reagan had stepped in and installed city managers in Flint and Detroit years ago. This is a homegrown problem due to a solution the people of Flint cooked up in reaction to the criminals that inhabit the city of Detroit. It's in the Bible. So as ye sew, so shall ye reap.

is it the auto workers of Flint that signed free trade agreements that allowed their jobs to go to Mexico?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

is it the auto workers of Flint that signed free trade agreements that allowed their jobs to go to Mexico?

No that was Bill Clinton that signed NAFTA.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth123123 posted:

Who the gently caress drinks tap water? Lol poors

look at this goon that doesnt do dishes or bathe

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

GORDON posted:

No that was Bill Clinton that signed NAFTA.

Lol, they keep trying to spin the narrative but the truth will set them free. That's in the Bible too BTW. :)

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

That dastard Bill Clinton, signing into effect a trade agreement so lovely that it retroactively caused the white flight of the 60s, the oil crisis of the 70s, and the loss of tens of thousands of auto industry jobs in the 80s. Not even time itself is safe from his wiles.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Rutibex posted:

What kind of moron would buy an American-built car

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
So China gets the manufacturing jobs and Michigan gets the lead poisoning. Seems like a bad trade.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

BigBoss posted:

Serious Post: Forget roads, public transportation, local bureaucracy, if conservatives have decided that the government on whatever level needing to be involved and at whatever cost to provide basic clean water and sanitation services in an established city is an absurd burden we are completely hosed.

Nope, if you are connected to the public water and sewer system not getting actual poison from the tap and being able to flush your toilet is like the very basic reason we even have local government, otherwise we might as well live in the glorious libertarian utopia of Somalia.

KRock
Aug 13, 2007
College Slice

BigBoss posted:

You'd be wrong. It was the Flint city council who made the decision to switch off of Detroit water. The EFM was in place but did not participate in the decision.

Please don't troll the Flint water crisis thread

http://bridgemi.com/2016/01/who-approved-switch-to-flint-river-states-answers-draw-fouls/

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

I would be literally okay with executing the higher-ups here. Wouldn't bat an eye. No hell hot enough for them.That's my helpful contribution.

We should erect a monument to their cowardice. Turn the names Earley and Snyder into bywords for malicious cowardice, as Quisling and Benedict Arnold had once been for treason. Not just a "hey, remember that lead water scandal" thing. Make it a forever thing.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

Serious Post: Forget roads, public transportation, local bureaucracy, if conservatives have decided that the government on whatever level needing to be involved and at whatever cost to provide basic clean water and sanitation services in an established city is an absurd burden we are completely hosed.

Nope, if you are connected to the public water and sewer system not getting actual poison from the tap and being able to flush your toilet is like the very basic reason we even have local government, otherwise we might as well live in the glorious libertarian utopia of Somalia.

Serious post: You are hilariously disconnected from reality because your dad hid his shame atop a tower on the North Texas Plain. This is not, nor has it ever been a "Rethugligans, grrrr!" issue. It was created by the people of Flint and Detroit. They are not homogeneously Republican by any stretch. But years of fraud and prideful ignorance has further doomed the citizens of Flint.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BigBoss posted:

This is not, nor has it ever been a "Rethugligans, grrrr!" issue. It was created by the people of Flint and Detroit.

only if you follow the causation back to a superficial level. Flint and Detroit didn't choose to dismantle american manufacturing and make their cities irrelevant, neoliberal ideology did, you know the kind republicans love

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Robo Reagan posted:

look at this goon that doesnt do dishes or bathe

Lol your right

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/11/doctors-worry-bathing-kids-flint-water/78657992/

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

only if you follow the causation back to a superficial level. Flint and Detroit didn't choose to dismantle american manufacturing and make their cities irrelevant, neoliberal ideology did, you know the kind republicans love

Not really, we have empirical proof in the form of Kwame Kilpatrick sitting in a cell to back up the notion that the leadership was corrupt. Their illicit vacations and Escalades were paid for one glass of water at a time.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Did dd come here?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

BigBoss posted:

Not really, we have empirical proof in the form of Kwame Kilpatrick sitting in a cell to back up the notion that the leadership was corrupt. Their illicit vacations and Escalades were paid for one glass of water at a time.

Fair enough point, Kwame was corrupt therefore brain damage children with lead poisoned water to pay for his sins and save a million dollars a year. I know it sounds reasonable but probably only because of the dose of lead you received as a child as well.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
Flint folks should hire Mel Gibson to straddle Snyder and pour tainted water down his throat like in that milk scene from Edge of Darkness

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

carrion kit posted:

Flint folks should hire Mel Gibson to straddle Snyder and pour tainted water down his throat like in that milk scene from Edge of Darkness

I get it :D because they're broke :D nice

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

BigBoss posted:

The blame for this problem begins and ends with the person responsible for changing over the water supply, regardless of their political affiliation. I was under the impression that it was the EFM and all sources I can find back that up. I don't know why you're trying to obfuscate the issue.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheWeepingHorse posted:

I would be literally okay with executing the higher-ups here. Wouldn't bat an eye. No hell hot enough for them.That's my helpful contribution.

We should erect a monument to their cowardice. Turn the names Earley and Snyder into bywords for malicious cowardice, as Quisling and Benedict Arnold had once been for treason. Not just a "hey, remember that lead water scandal" thing. Make it a forever thing.

nice impotent rage too bad youre not going to channel it in to anything productive

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Source 1 Source 2 Source 3 Source 4 Source 5 Source 6 Source 7 Source 8 Source 9 Source 10
Putting it together:

Sara Wurfel, Snyder’s spokeswoman on DWSD:

quote:

“The Detroit Water and Sewer Department at the time, back last spring, said, ‘Hey, we’re gonna cut you off.’”
Sue McCormick, DWSD Director, to Flint, April 2013:

quote:

Gentlemen,The cliffnotes version: Proposal offers a today rate of water for Flint/Genesee of $10.46 as compared to $20.00 paid currently per Mcf - 48% less that could be realized nearly immediately and even more when compared to the increases coming from KWA.
When compared over the 30 year horizon the DWSD proposal saves $800 million dollars or said differently - saves 20% over the KWA proposal.
DWSD made 6 proposals to Flint.

Snyder's State of the State address:

quote:

“First, the crisis began in spring 2013, when the Flint City Council voted 7-1 to buy water from Karegondi Water Authority [to be supplied by Lake Huron]. Former Flint Mayor Walling supported the move, and the Emergency Manager approved the plan. DWSD provided notice of termination to be effective one year later and, on April 25, 2014, Flint began using water from the Flint River as its interim source.”
Summary of video of said vote by Flint City Council in March 2013:

quote:

At the 2:25:00 mark, the resolution is taken up again. It is modified to purchasing 15 MGD to purchasing 16 MGD from the KWA with 2 MGD to be taken from the Flint River if needed to meet the DEQ’s estimated upper usage level of 18 MGD. In other words, the upper limit would be using 11.1% Flint River water blended with 88.9% KWA water sourced from Lake Huron.

The resolution was Resolution 130165.2 and it passes 7-1 with only the Council president voting against because he wanted to purchase all 18 MGD from the KWA.
Blending of the Flint River water with DWSD water was something they were already doing (pdf) when needed (in emergencies, approximately 4 times a year).

Flint June 2013 operating plan:

quote:

Karegnondi Water Authority (KWA) The City Council, s well as EM Kurtz, has adopted resolutions to enter into a contract with KWA water authority to partner with Genesee County, City of Lapeer, Lapeer County and Sanilac County in the construction of a pipeline to deliver raw water to the City of Flint. This decision followed many months of analysis by the City of Flint, the Genesee County Drain Commissioner’s office, the State Treasurer and ultimately, Governor Snyder. This conclusion to join KWA is momentous for the City and the entire region. The City looks forward to a safe, reliable water supply through which water costs can be stabilized for the KWA participants.

Detroit Water and Sewer Department has notified the City that it will terminate the contract with the City for the deliver of water in 12 months. The City is currently exploring its options for water service between May 2014 and the frill operation of the KWA pipeline. High consideration is being given to utilizing the Flint River, and/or blending River and DWSD water. The City of Flint is also considering contracting with DWSD to be the back-up water source for the City.

July 2013:

quote:

"Once they got the termination letter, they started looking at the Flint River," said Third Ward Flint City Councilman Bryant Nolden. "That's all that I was asking. We get the information at the last minute and are asked to make decisions -- I'm not going to be a party to that."

Nolden said his lone dissenting vote against Flint getting water from the Karegnondi Water Authority in March was a protest.

"I didn't think the city of Flint did its due diligence to the Flint River," Nolden said. "It's not that I'm against the KWA, it's that we didn't get all the information."

The Flint River hadn't been an option, city officials previously said, because upgrades to Flint's water plant would be too expensive, the river didn't provide enough capacity to serve Flint residents' water needs and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality would not allow it.

Flint River water is treated by the water plant only about four times a year under a state mandate to make sure the facility is operational as the emergency backup source of water for Flint and Genesee County.
Nolden said a DEQ report from 2012 details the millions of dollars in upgrades needed at the water plant to make it able to treat Flint River water on a full-time basis.

"I just want the city administration to be forthcoming with the community and to let people know what's going on with it and be transparent," Nolden said. "City council is feeling the brunt of it and it's not our fault."
Lest you think this guy is being cautions, he said this after the vote: "It was a protest vote," Nolden said. "I just feel like the Flint River is our best option."

Darnell Earley to DWSD, March 2014:

quote:

“Thank you for the correspondence [...] which provides Flint with the option of continuing to purchase water from DWSD… The City of Flint has actively pursued using the Flint River as a temporary water source… There will be no need for Flint to continue purchasing water to serve its residents and businesses after April 17, 2014.”

The Procrastinator's Approach, April 2014:

quote:

"They've got a series of construction permits" that were issued Wednesday, April 10, said Brad Wurfel, a spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Quality. "They are racing to get all this work done."

The permits have been on Flint's to-do list since the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department said it was terminating its contract to sell water here on April 17.

That deadline was issued one year ago, and city and state water officials have been working and consulting on required upgrades at Flint's water treatment plant since.

Flint spokesman Jason Lorenz said today, April 10,that the city is still targeting April 17 as the day to shut off Lake Huron water -- treated and pumped here by DWSD -- and to turn on the intakes into the river.

Because work is still going on inside and outside the city's treatment plant, the exact time and date for the switch hasn't been set yet, Lorenz said.
"The city of Flint will be able to control water costs," Earley said. "I'm kind of glad we're not a part of that discussion (about the future of the Detroit water system) anymore."

A consultant hired by Earley is expected to recommend new water rates during a City Council committee meeting at 5 p.m. today. The emergency manager has already said rates will not be reduced because of upgrades that are needed in Flint's water distribution system.
Just had to include that last bit.

The switch, April 2014:

quote:

Flint will use the river until the KWA builds its pipeline to Genesee County. The $274 million project is expected to be complete sometime in 2016.

“This is indeed the best choice for the city of Flint going forward,” said Flint Emergency Manager Darnell Earley.

When Walling flipped the switch, pumps powered down as water ceased flowing from the 36-inch water main from Detroit.

“There have been a lot of questions from our customers because this is such a major change,” he said. “When the treated river water starts being pumped into the system, we move from plan to reality. The water quality speaks for itself.”

May, 2014:

quote:

Michael Prysby, an engineer with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, said an initial report, reflecting the first five days after the city began using the river for its water supply, shows turbidity, residual chlorine and bacteria levels meet all standards set by the state.

Prysby said Flint water users may still notice a difference in water hardness, including a different taste or smell than they are used to, and said there have been "a couple of complaints logged" with the DEQ over the use of river water.
"I finally started buying my drinking water," said Hazard, who lives alone and still pays at least $90 monthly for water and sewer service.

"It's just weird," she said of the water coming out of her tap, which she described as murky or foamy at times and which requires her "to use tons more dish soap" to produce bubbles.
$90/mo for loving water & sewer :wtc:

Beginning report of issues:

quote:

The City of Flint began using the Flint River as a water source in May of 2014. Flint is located roughly in the middle of the Flint River Watershed. The Flint River watershed includes Holloway Reservoir, C.S. Mott Lake, Kearsley Lake, and numerous streams and creeks that drain to these lakes or directly into the Flint River. The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality in partnership with the U.S. Geological Survey, and the City of Flint Utilities Department conducted a source water assessment in February 2004 to determine the susceptibility of potential contamination. The susceptibility rating is a seven-tiered scale ranging from “very low” to “very high” based primarily on geologic sensitivity, water chemistry, and contaminant sources. The Flint River source water intake is categorized as having a very high susceptibility to potential contaminant sources.
The use of the Flint River as a source water for the City of Flint Water Treatment Plant was a temporary move, driven largely by economics and the financial state of the City.

June 2014; a quick deterioration:

quote:

Earley said that during the first full month of treating river water, Flint met all state requirements for water quality and safety, but said he expects there will be complaints.

"This is a major change," he said. "We are not going to see the (same type of water) ... We understand there are going to be complaints ... (but) until the DEQ (says it's unsafe) it will be the water source," Earley said.

Flint residents have increasingly been complaining about both the cost and quality of water in recent weeks.

Earlier this week, the Rev. Barbara Bettis told the City Council that residents can't pay the high price of water in the city and are receiving an inferior product.

"It stinks. It's nasty, and we shouldn't even be drinking it," said Bettis, who lives in the city's 7th Ward.

I can't find an exact culprit behind who up and decided to use the Flint River only. I suspect it's buried in emails at a higher level, if it wasn't Emergency Manager Earley.

e: The State itself had to ratify Flint's plans, ultimately. Regardless of who came up with them, those fucks let it happen.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 3, 2016

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I'm trying to find the source but I also read at some point when the poo poo really hit the fan water pump the Detroit Water District offered to hook Flint back up while waiving the $4 million reconnect fee and Earley Ambrose still said nope.

Edit: From the lawsuit being brought against the state: http://pittlawpc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Flint-Water-Crisis-Complaint-Filed-Jan-15-2016-in-MIch.-Court-of-Claims.pdf

Paragraphs 70-72 state that EM Earley left the position on January 13 and was replaced by Jerry Ambrose. On January 29th the director of Detroit's water system offered to reconnect Flint without the $4 million reconnection fee, an offer that Jerry Ambrose rejected. However prior to his departure the city council was demanding that Earley switch them back to Detroit water and he also said nope.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 3, 2016

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Facebook says the EM is being hunted by the feds and Hillary is debating Sanders in Flint. I am politically erect.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
how is that city manager poo poo even possible? seems hosed up

"omg loving flint and detroit are in the red" well yeah they are post-apocalypse. is it really that big of a deal that they lose money?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Evil_Greven posted:

$90/mo for loving water & sewer :wtc:

and that's for a single person. the average household water bill is like $150/month and last I heard they're still being billed at the same outrageous rate for their undrinkable, lead-filled, corrosive water.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Griz posted:

and that's for a single person. the average household water bill is like $150/month and last I heard they're still being billed at the same outrageous rate for their undrinkable, lead-filled, corrosive water.

I'd start a private well drilling business

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

City of Tampa posted:

"omg loving flint and detroit are in the red" well yeah they are post-apocalypse. is it really that big of a deal that they lose money?

If they can't raise any money (because their credit is junk) they can't pay pensions for retired city employees, deliver utilities or basically do any other city things like trash collection and policing.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Darth123123 posted:

I'd start a private well drilling business

haha not in democrat land you wont

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

BigBoss posted:

Guys who's dog is this and why is he making GBS threads all over the carpet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

City of Tampa posted:

the same way that the european central bank gets to send country managers to deadbeat euro countries, elections be damned

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol at anyone who thinks this was anything other than a deliberate attempt to genocide African americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Constant Hamprince posted:

If they can't raise any money (because their credit is junk) they can't pay pensions for retired city employees, deliver utilities or basically do any other city things like trash collection and policing.

I thought that the feds give money to states that run in the red, like all of the southern states do

maybe the federal government should install somebody to manage the state of Michigan

• Locked thread